Best Sunshade for Heat Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Sunshade for Heat Protection?

Hi all! So, we just picked up our black on black 2012 SH-AWD RDX with tech package Saturday. Since we live in the Carolinas (currently aka the surface of the sun) we need to know what you guys think is the best sunshade for heat protection, especially. This will be our daily driver and see a LOT of direct sunlight. We've looked at the Tech Shades from Weathertech, which we like because you can also turn them around in the winter to keep the frost off, which is nice because our Jag takes up our 1 car garage year-round. We have also looked at the Heat Shield sunshades and have seen really great reviews about the fit and that they keep the temp significantly down. What do you guys recommend? What do you have? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:43 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I lived in ABQ, NM, and Phoenix AZ, and I use those twist/fold 2 piece sun shades that are kinda like a IQ test to fold up. The ones I have are from Walmart and are black on one side and silver on the other. I like them because you can fold them small enough to store behind the passenger seat pocket. The larger one piece ones are sometimes make a lot of noise if they have the aluminum coating and too big to store other than in the trunk with passengers in the car. I would also make sure your windows are tinted to help with UV and heat.

I stopped using the large, thick, aluminum coated sun shades a few years ago. I had a rock strike star on the windshield I got a few days earlier and was too lazy to take it in right away to fill. Went to the mall in the summer on a +95 degree day and when I came back outside, the star turned into a crack across the entire windshield. I figured the sun shade worked so well and actually heated up the windshield and caused the small star to expand.

The RDX has a pretty good A/C system and it doesn't feel too hot for long. I did get a remote start for my son's TSX since he is now stuck outside 24/7 (Viper 5806v alarm with remote start). He loves starting his car in the morning when it is cold to knock the frost off or after last period of class walking to the car to cool the TSX down (suppose to have 1 mile range, more like line-of sight 1/8 - 1/4 mile). I'm thinking about adding the same alarm or just a remote start module since I have to part outside all day at work in my RDX (broke +100 degrees last weekend 1st time this year).
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
MrsWRX (06-25-2015), WRXtranceformed (06-24-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, we went ahead and ordered the Techshade so we'll see how it works! I used to have the same exact twist and fold ones from Wal-Mart and I miss them, but they just didn't keep the car as cool as I would have liked even with tinted windows...and that was my other car with a tan leather interior. I don't even want to think about how hot the RDX will get being ebony interior. So, we shall see how the trial run of the Techshade goes. The windows are tinted pretty dark so this should help a lot. The worst that could happen is that we find out it does only as well as the fold up ones and we send it back. We'll see, but with all the reviews we've read it looks like this actually makes a significant difference compared to the others. We will update. Seeing as here in the Carolinas we are currently in the longest and hottest heat wave ever recorded in the month of June since the year 1870...I think it's a perfect time to put the Techshade to the test
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I have one of these for my RL, which has a gray interior. The windows are also tinted 30%. They make sizes for nearly all cars.

UVS100 Custom Sunscreens - UV Protection for the Interior
The following 2 users liked this post by schen72:
MrsWRX (06-25-2015), WRXtranceformed (06-24-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I went with this one -
Amazon.com: Intro-Tech Automotive AC-19 "Custom Auto Shade" Sun Shade: Automotive Amazon.com: Intro-Tech Automotive AC-19 "Custom Auto Shade" Sun Shade: Automotive

Fitment is really good and it helps in our 115+ degree summer days here in Phoenix.
The following users liked this post:
MrsWRX (06-25-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I have the Intro-Tech for my 08 RDX. The dealer had them for sale back in 2008. They do work well, although my tends to sag inwards, because the material is not thick enough to stand up on its own. But does keep a lot of heat out. I've also tinted the RDX's front windows to 20%, which is a good match for the factory tint.