Beginning of CBP Paint Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 PM
1998 2.3CL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beginning of CBP Paint Failure

My 2010 RDX has the crystal black pearl paint and is beginning to show some pretty obvious signs of clear coat failure with check marks and crows feet on the hood. Only has about 65,000 miles on it. After doing some research, it appears this is a very common issue with black Hondas and Acuras around that time period, although no recall was ever issued.

I took it to the Acura dealer and they acknowledged the issue, but wouldn't contribute more than about 20% of repainting the entire car. They noticed some of the same issues on other parts of the car and aren't willing to just do the hood. The Acura rep got involved and this is the best they can do, given that we are not the original owners and have not owned the car for that long.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to repaint the hood only, which is about the only noticeable spot right now. I understand they have to sand the paint down to the metal to properly solve the issue. Any sense how long this crow's feet and checking issue takes to really become visible on the rest of the car? Wondering if I should get rid of this while I can rather than sink money into it.