Beat the tire horse to death... SUMMER tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Beat the tire horse to death... SUMMER tires

Hi folks,
I have read ALL the posts. I have read as much Tire Rack as I can. I am pretty sure I am going to Discount Tire - just because their prices are still very competitive and they are just around the corner.

Both my wife's RX and my RDX need tires. My OEM tires got 30K out of them... We probably have a 1-2MM or so remaining, but I might as well replace all 8. Both take the same 235/55-18

We do not drive in the snow but maybe an inch or two, once every couple years or so... Summer tires.
Based on what discount tire carries, here the choices I have narrowed it down to: All within $25 or so per tire, so price isn't really a factor. In no real order:

1. Yokohama - Prada Spec-X - treadrating 420 / wty none
2. Continental - Extreme Contact DWS - treadrating 540 / WTY 50K (not sure why people think these look bad?? I think they look great but wish they had a rim guard lip thingy...
3. Yokohama - YK520 - treadrating 520 / wty none - exclusive to Discount tire (why? - not sure what they are modeled after)
4. Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread - rating 700 / wty 80K
5. Goodyear Eagle Response Edge - rating 440 / wty 50K
6. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza - rating 600 / wty 65K

What I am hoping for...
• 40-50K life
• great handling for dry and rain
• decent looks
• low road noise

Any help / advice / experience you can share is much appreciated. I need to pull the trigger in the next day or three…

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
40-50K on summer tires? sounds to me as wishful thinking.....

Mod, why not create a sticky for tires/tires reviews, this question keeps coming up over and over again....
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Probably am dreaming! OK - maybe I mean all-season tires...

Just don't need or want winter / snow tires.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XIS
Probably am dreaming! OK - maybe I mean all-season tires...

Just don't need or want winter / snow tires.
Yup... true summer tires will last you may be 10K?

Question is: What do you REALLY want from your tires?

There is the "wishful" wants: grippy tread, low profile, with the looks and tread pattern that speaks loudly of performance, and "LONG LASTING"...

You being in the "desert" climate, probably see the sun more than any one else in this forum, then summer tires would make a lot of sense.

But if you want long tread life, and high performance/looks to go with it, then the UHP all-seasons are what you want to target. But they ARE expensive. So is $200 a piece for a UHP all seasons tire with long treadlife in your target?

What is the ONE big thing you really want to see in the tire. That is what should drive your decision.

We are all like kids inside us, we want the best of everything in that one thing... that is idealistic... life is not like that, I think you would agree...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:28 PM
XIS
Lizard King

You nailed me... I want the best of all worlds!

I need two sets of tires - one for me and one for the wife. Not sure if I want all the same or not yet?

My wishful wants:
grippy tread, decent looks, not too noisy and close to 40K worth of life.
I think I narrowed my list to three ...
1. Yokohama - Prada Spec-X - treadrating 420 / wty none
2. Continental - Extreme Contact DWS - treadrating 540 / WTY 50K (not sure why people think these look bad?? I think they look great but wish they had a rim guard lip thingy...
3. Yokohama - YK520 - treadrating 520 / wty none

Anyone here drive on these?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but let me throw one more into the mix..... I bought my Yokahoma ENVigors from Discount Tire and have been VERY VERY happy with them after about 2000 miles.

The handling performance seems as good as or a touch better the OEM.

My gas mileage has increased by about 5%, seems like my average is up to over 20 with a 60/40 city/highway mix.

But best of all is that the road noise has dropped big time, it is an amazing difference from the OEM.

Too early to tell how long they will last, but even if it's only another 30,000 I will be happy to take the prorated warranty and get another set.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:22 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Thank you. I have read about the new ENVigors and my local Discount Tire didn't have them...yet. I will see if they have a date the tires are exptected.

Can I ask why you chose those over the YK520 or the Prada Spec-X?

Did you consider the Contis?

Thanks a ton!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if your main concern is dry handling, get something more aggressive than the DWS. the DWS are NOT for you. They make Extreme Contact DW which would be a perfec performance fit. if snow is a rarity, get the most aggressive tread for handling. General also makes a straight ultra high perf summer tire as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If i wanna save money i will buy Yokohama YK520, great review and under "Best" category... It's only $163 x 4 = $652 total plus tax...

But if im going to buy 4 tires right now i would like to try the new Michelin Latitude Tour; great review and it's under "Best" category also plus $70 rebate. $210 x 4 = $840 - $70 rebate = $770..... :p

I used this link for my ref http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tog...&fcb=&sw=false

:p
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Yep - so many options and I want too many things all at the same time... Such is life...

What I am hoping for...
• 40-50K life
• good looks
• low road noise
• good handling in wet & dry

1. Continental - Extreme Contact DWS - 540 / WTY 50K
2. Yokohama AVID ENVigor - 560
3. Yokohama - Prada Spec-X - 420
4. Yokohama - YK520 - 520

(the 340 rating rules out the Conti DW)

Going to check them all out (again) today at discount tire (if the ENVigor is there yet) and buy 8 of them... 4 for my RDX and 4 for the wife's RX...
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Advanced

XIS -

I feel your pain, I was doing the same research and since the Envigors were so new there were only a few reviews. I spent hours on tirerack and even went to the company websites to review all their marketing pitches. I did put some added trust in the "vigors" that since these are their newest model that they should be better than their previous products (yes a gamble).

The few reviews that were posted seemed to mention a sporty ride and low road noise and I have to agree that the lack of road noise is what I am liking the most. As for treadware, the spec is better, but it's too early to comment.

I had to buy mine sight unseen since Discount Tire does not stock them and I had picked up a nail, but no regrets here.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Pro

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza have the best Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG). "600" for treadwear, "A" traction and "A" temperature. 600AA

Second is Continental ExtremeContact DWS UTQG -540AA

Yokohama Parada Spec-X does not have good treadwear, it's only 420AA

while Yokohama YK520 is 520AA...

:p
Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
XIS
Lizard King

just FYI - OEM Mich's treadwear rated at 300....
Old 06-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Riding on the AVID V4S ... so far

So far, the Yokoham Avid V4S has been riding good... smooth, reasonably quiet, very grippy... low profile stance plus the lip rim protector makes it look really good, tread pattern is aggressive looking...

Used it through this Boston Winter, albeit not the worse Bostonians has experienced before, the Avids worked great in the 4-6 inches of snow in my upward sloping drive way.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if you are looking for the best dry handling, or if dry handling is at the top of your list, i do not think buying DWS is a good idea, im throwing that out there.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
XIS
Lizard King

OK - just got back from Discount tire.

ENVigors have a 3 month back-log... so they are out. Too bad too... They look great on paper and visually...

They did not suggest the Prada Spec-X because of complaints on tread-life and no wty.

YK520's don't look bad at all.. Sidewall looks good. Tread looks decent...but almost generic. Discount said they would warrant them for 50K even though YOKO only guarantees 17" and smaller. That is huge of them...

Conti Extreme contact DWS... OK - that is a strange looking sidewall. I see where the inner-tube comment comes from. I LOVE the tread design. The Mgr said that they can hardly keep them in stock and that they are usually sold-out because everyone loves them. He has heard no complaints on them, nor the Yoko YK520s... (They sell much more 520's, probably because they are $30 less per tire) He said most of their employees that need these types of tires get the Yokos and are very happy with them. The only thing that makes me hesitate a small amount is the boring tread design. Pretty stupid reason to not like a tire, I do agree with that!

Mike - Dry handling is important to me, but I am really not hitting the slalom too often with the RDX. I did notice that the DWS sidewall was very soft and that is the only other drawback I could see and I bet that affects the dry handling when you push them.

I guess my main things I am looking to maximize are life, looks and low noise/comfort.

I am going to call him in a few to make my final choice.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming before I pull the trigger!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
I got my Yokohama Envigor installed last week from my Acura dealer, very happy. Very happy, Avid v4s is their older model, its being replaced by envigor.

My acura dealer was able to match tirerack price, and installation is standard, $20 per tire. So it made sense to have it done at the dealer, belive it or not, Sears Auto was giving me quote $300 more than Acura.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by XIS
OK - just got back from Discount tire.

ENVigors have a 3 month back-log... so they are out. Too bad too... They look great on paper and visually...
I got them last week, maybe backlog is recent. The tires are freaking fresh, they were l made in May 2010 (you can see month and year on tire printed), this is the earliest I ever seen on tires.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:23 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Crud... well just bad timing for me, but great for you! They are already on backorder at tirerack also. Called my dealer, just in case, and was told he only had the OEM Michelens (at $300 a pop!!!, but that included mounting/etc...) wow
He wouldn't just let someone ship them to him either - but since tire rack is also on backorder, guess that doesn't matter!

Since they both are getting a 50K wty from discount tire, it now comes down to looks and noise/comfort. (YK520 & Conti Ext DWS)

Mike - are your DWS's better or worse than OEM as far as sound/comfort?
How about your sidewalls? Ever an issue?
Do you still think the sidewalls look ugly? The tread design is very cool.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by XIS
]
He wouldn't just let someone ship them to him either - but since tire rack is also on backorder, guess that doesn't matter!
wow, I did not realize dealers are so different. I went to my Acura parts department, and they were pretty cool, they said I can have tirerack ship to them, but then they were like "or we can match their price". It was like $10 more per tire, but no shipping charges, so in the end it was the same. I did have to wait 1 week before they got them.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM
XIS
Lizard King

I went for the YK520's. Looks were a little nicer, progressive strength of the sidewall, price was great, they threw in the wty and dropped them another $10 each since I am getting 8... Installing them at noon Saturday. Great service there. Glad that is over for a good 4 yrs or more!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by XIS
I went for the YK520's. Looks were a little nicer, progressive strength of the sidewall, price was great, they threw in the wty and dropped them another $10 each since I am getting 8... Installing them at noon Saturday. Great service there. Glad that is over for a good 4 yrs or more!

That's my choice also :p good rating on treadwear plus it's not over price compare to other brand...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
XIS
Lizard King

so far, so good. very happy with the look and feel. Yet to really push them yet, but that's coming soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

After a LOT of searching, I found the Yokohama Envigors at buywheelstoday.com. They had 75 in stock after I ordered mine on 6/25. Just installed today and they look sharp! I've got Yokohama's on my TL as well and they are very good tires.