Auto folding mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto folding mirrors?

I wish we had auto folding mirrors on the RDX. Would be perfect for parking in lots when its a little tight or getting a little clearance in the garage. Do any Acura's have this feature and has anyone tried to retrofit if it's an Acura feature?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Racer

As opposed to you manually folding them in? Really?

This isn't Europe nor Japan. Anyways, I always thought this option was a bit of human laziness.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I like the feature, but never told myself, gee I think that my car needs that!....

and to answer the original question, I don't think that any Acura vehicle has that feature, I have only seen it in some Lexus and Benz...maybe also BMWs

EDIT: I would actually be happy if they were self dimming mirrors....this car really needs them!!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Acura has that feature. And for that matter I don't think a lot of luxury cars do. My dad has the Jaguar XF and that doesn't have it nor do any Lexus's or BMW's I believe (I could be wrong though). To me that would be a useless piece of "fluff" that I wouldn't want to pay extra for.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Maxima has them. It's moderately useful when parking in a garage.

In tight parking spaces, I'd prefer to leave my mirrors out so it some fatass opens their door and hits the mirror, it's likely won't ding/dent it like it would a door.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vrflyer

This isn't Europe nor Japan. Anyways, I always thought this option was a bit of human laziness.

You mean you'd rather stand out in front of your car and hand crank your engine to start it instead of simple turning a key and letting the car work for you? I guess you could use that argument for anything else that's been made easier in our cars. Like power adjustable seats (recent argument w/ the passenger side), electronically adjusting your side view mirrors, or electric windows and door locks. It's not a matter of being lazy (which with your argument would include all of us), it's a matter of using technology to our advantage.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 AM
G&V
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat as daveskee. My house has a single car garage, and when the truck is parked, there's not much room to walk around. Would definitely be a nice addition to have them automatically fold in when turning the car off (or at the touch of a button).
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

That's exactly why I want the feature. Fold them when I'm pulling into the garage. I've seen others retrofitting folding mirrors on Hondas and older Acuras but those mirrors were attached at the pillar/window of the door. The RDX mirror is attached via a post on the door. May be no room for a motor.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's called a "luxury car feature." C300 had it for 2008 in the U.S. but was replaced by other features for 2009. Still available in Europe. Available in other Benz models depending upon the option package.

I'd rather have a power steering column instead but if I parked in a small garage it would be nice. Also nice to have them fold in for street parking so you don't get clipped.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
as a city driver, this option would be awesome.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I fold my mirrors maybe once a year. No way would I pay extra for that, but I see the need for some folks who park in tight city garages. BTW, I do like that the RDX mirrors fold both ways.

Last edited by Rexorg; 02-23-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Instructor

I think these type of options are what distinguishes an entry or near luxury brand from a luxury brand. You will see these type of things in the MB and high end Lexus but doubt you will see it in an Acura. Which is ok as it keeps the cost lower
Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buxtons
I think these type of options are what distinguishes an entry or near luxury brand from a luxury brand. You will see these type of things in the MB and high end Lexus but doubt you will see it in an Acura. Which is ok as it keeps the cost lower
I think you would be correct in days past but in this market with competition as it is, with "Luxury" brands lowering prices and models to compete in lower priced markets, the entry luxury and luxury brand boundries are merging. Entry level Mercedes and BMWs are being priced competitively with Acuras, Infinities, etc. While Acura and the rest are adding amenities that rival some of the upper class competition. And the RDX Tech package isn't exactly "Entry" level priced at nearly $39k. So I wouldn't think that adding a feature like folding mirrors or at least a button in cabin and on the remote to unlatch the rear hatch would be cost prohibitive. Just my two cents.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The prices are getting closer but you're still looking at 3-5k difference overall, more with a company like BMW.

The RDX does have world class electronics but stuff like an engine prop rod is ghetto.

Originally Posted by daveskee
I think you would be correct in days past but in this market with competition as it is, with "Luxury" brands lowering prices and models to compete in lower priced markets, the entry luxury and luxury brand boundries are merging. Entry level Mercedes and BMWs are being priced competitively with Acuras, Infinities, etc. While Acura and the rest are adding amenities that rival some of the upper class competition. And the RDX Tech package isn't exactly "Entry" level priced at nearly $39k. So I wouldn't think that adding a feature like folding mirrors or at least a button in cabin and on the remote to unlatch the rear hatch would be cost prohibitive. Just my two cents.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

Yeah i agree Acura is close but not quite where they could be. It's some of the little things that will put them on par. It took them three model years to add power passenger side seat controls on the RDX and they don't offer the small electronic upgrades (USB connector) that they offer on some of their other cars. Acura is on the right track but they still think like their just upgrading Honda platforms as opposed to Toyota who has a whole different feel with their Lexus line.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

A product guy with Acura once told me if they put stuff like a power passenger seat in the first year how could they add stuff later?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
big shot.

true about any option.

but heres the thing, people need to be buying Acuras for the same reasons why people are loyal to BMW & MB..it has nothing to do with options or the availability thereof. Because one, a true luxury car has them all available from the getgo, and doesnt let some slide out each year, obviously unless tech changes so much (like the advent of bluetooth) where it only makes sense to upgrade existing stuff. I shouldnt be walking into the Acura dealer pumped up because my RDX got a power seat...that seems so rediculous and low end.

the main distinctions are these: Lexus & Infiniti. Once they severed ties model-wise with the low end brand, they made strides in their vehicles. Infiniti threw it all out the window, went RDW/AWD, and set the "luxury" brand apart. Until Acura decides to no longer make nicer Honda's, these arguments and comparisons will continue till the day they make all Acuras real Acuras, like the RL.

Acura needs to throw everything into one model, price it aggressively, and abandon the honda think tank. Till then, every Acura, to me at least, other than the RL, is just another Honda, especially the RDX/TSX/TL. Its almost like, if Honda had something similar to Audi's "S" line, the RDX/TSX/TL would be the upper model equivalents to the CRV/Accord, because lets face it, theres really nothing special except the engine choice and AWD, and for the TSX sake, i think its a tremendous waste of cash no matter what equipment is in it, id buy a loaded Accord every day of the week over it.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL6
A product guy with Acura once told me if they put stuff like a power passenger seat in the first year how could they add stuff later?
This makes absolutely no sense.

Once they establish an item across the line it should remain.

With this logic the first year model could be devoid of items like cruise control, power windows, moonroof, etc.

Why did they pick on the driver's memory seat and power passenger seat?

I had expectations of items that had been in their lineup for quite some time.

I don't get it, do they want me to trade in soon to obtain the features they conveniently left off?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL6
Also nice to have them fold in for street parking so you don't get clipped.
I've never had a problem, in any of my trips visiting NYC nor Philly. Having said that parking is very pretty limited 90% in those areas.

My
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
big shot.

would u want the option if in just 1 of those trips, you had a mirror taken off?

its happened 3 times to me, its luck of the draw, its not something u want to have its something u need just IN CASE of it happening. Its not fun going to get mirrors, sometimes twice in 1 week, yes its happened
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Racer

Uhmmm, let's see I've going there for 10yrs with either SUV or large sedans. I don't see a problem with manually folding them in yourself - really.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Yeah I agree with MMike and bobq. Until Acura stops thinking like it's a Honda upgrade factory they'll never be distinguished as the upscale line they try to be or want to be viewed as.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM
big shot.

Uhmmm, let's see I've going there for 10yrs with either SUV or large sedans. I don't see a problem with manually folding them in yourself - really.
as could be said about car starters, auto lift gates, and every other lux feature out there. You could manually do it, BUT.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

I don't understand why the big negatives on having folding mirrors. If you don't mind manually folding your mirrors then that's ok. But I want my wife to be able to fold them from inside the car so she doesn't have to get out, fold them and then get back into the car to park it in our garage every day. Especially if it's raining.

There is an obvious want for them by some of us and all Acura would have to do is make it part of an option package with some other convenience features I wouldn't mind having. Like keyless start, remote opening tailgate, and rain sensing wipers. But I guess I don't really need wipers. My wife and I could just lean out our windows while we're driving down the freeway in a rainstorm and wipe them manually!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by daveskee
I don't understand why the big negatives on having folding mirrors. If you don't mind manually folding your mirrors then that's ok. But I want my wife to be able to fold them from inside the car so she doesn't have to get out, fold them and then get back into the car to park it in our garage every day. Especially if it's raining.

There is an obvious want for them by some of us and all Acura would have to do is make it part of an option package with some other convenience features I wouldn't mind having. Like keyless start, remote opening tailgate, and rain sensing wipers. But I guess I don't really need wipers. My wife and I could just lean out our windows while we're driving down the freeway in a rainstorm and wipe them manually!
Totally agree with you. I have to fold both my mirrors when I park in my garage everyday and then fold them out when I take it out of the garage. Couple of weeks ago my neighbor commented that I should look for a car that had the automatic folding mirror option :-)
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
big shot.

yep, there are other uses for this other than parking on the street....my gf has to fold them in all the time to put her car on the parking lift in her building
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Folding mirrors are nice for a very small percentage of drivers. I'm sure Honda did the C/B analysis and it didn't pan out. They are offered on the overseas version of the Acura RL so clearly some people can benefit from them.

I think the previous Euro Accord offered power folding side mirrors. Not sure if the current one does.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Meat Popsicle

Saw a BMW 7 series do this in a parking lot last weekend. Very slick. The BMW mirrors go up and in, not just inward.
Looks like gull wing doors when folded.

Lets face it , many of these features are just parts offered by 3rd party vendors, such as an Auto-Dimming Mirror. If they added each of these features, the price would just go up.

Do not understand why anyone would think it was useless, although the number of people that would make a buy/sell decision on that feature would be very small.

I have read here several times on why Acura dropped the touch screen Nav. I would bet its because they charge about the same for it without the touch screen.

However, I bet that the number of people that would make a decision between two vehicles based on that factor would be small.
The option of navagation availablity would be very important, but the interface to the nav would be something that you would have to live with before you really had an opinion one way or another.
You might weight it, but in the end the overall package is what you get attracted to.

BTW, I much perfer the non-touch screen. No more finger mung on the screen.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Meat Popsicle

BTW, I do not routinely fold the mirrors.
However, I have folded the passenger side now and again to move something past the car. Then when I get in and start driving, I see the mirror when I hit the street, and I say a bad word.

So... now that I think about it, I want those damn mirrors too!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:28 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I just sold a car today because the mirrors folded... the guy has a narrow garage opening.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

rdx folding mirror switch

Would not buy RDX without inside control. In PA we have lots of very narrow bridges, barely wide enough for 2 cars to fit. We need to fold passenger side mirror to be able to go over bridge. Also, need to fold them every time I back out of garage. Lease on my wifes Audi Q5 is coming up for renewal and while I am considering RDX, it would need to have folding mirrors and good passing car warning control for me to consider it - even my Mazda CX5 has that passing car warning control.