Anyone using Yakima Q-towers w/o factory rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:49 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using Yakima Q-towers w/o factory rack?

Hi all, I bought my Tech without the factory roof rack since I will only occasionally need to carry skis. It's very tight trying to put the skis inside so I would like to use my Yakima Q-towers set-up. However (of course) Yakima doesn't yet publish a Q-clip fit for the RDX. Has anyone successfully mounted Q-towers yet, and if so can you tell me which Q-clip fits? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I have been holding off on a rack decision; I will probably end up installing the factory side rails and installing the Yakima rack on that.

Right now, I remove the front passenger headrest and prop up skis on the top of the passenger seat. Works great. Well, when I am skiing alone that is!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I have been holding off on a rack decision; I will probably end up installing the factory side rails and installing the Yakima rack on that.

Right now, I remove the front passenger headrest and prop up skis on the top of the passenger seat. Works great. Well, when I am skiing alone that is!
How tall are you? your skiis wont fit in the cargo area? even askew? My guess is you're over 5'8" cause your head hits the back door on full open, but that's all I can go on. Still, you got some long ass skiis if they extend over the passenger's seat too. By the way, how can you cope with the snow on the leather? what have you got to catch all the melting snow? I'll bet you're 6'4". Just a guess.
Even BMW's rip off "cold weather package" with the pass through the back seat wouldn't work. LOL
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by mickie
How tall are you? your skiis wont fit in the cargo area? even askew? My guess is you're over 5'8" cause your head hits the back door on full open, but that's all I can go on. Still, you got some long ass skiis if they extend over the passenger's seat too. By the way, how can you cope with the snow on the leather? what have you got to catch all the melting snow? I'll bet you're 6'4". Just a guess.
Even BMW's rip off "cold weather package" with the pass through the back seat wouldn't work. LOL
I'm 6'1", and my skis range from 176cm to 184cm (and those are about 20cm shorter than the old-school long skis I used to have!). I can fit a single pair across the back diagonally (which is not great because it compromises space for other cargo), but for multiple pairs the only way is to go up over the passenger seat. I can fit 3-4 pairs that way. I do put wet/snowy skis in a bag for the ride home, to keep the interior dry.