Air Bag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After driving the F-150 around for a few day I realized it wasn't the right rental for me.

1. My wife complained every time she went to get in. She is 5'1 so I can kinda understand where she is coming from.
2. Parking in an area that is dominated by compact parking spots is a challenge in such a giant vehicle.
3. In 2 days I used half a tank of gas just going back and forth to work.

Stopped by Enterprise last night and picked up a Jeep Cherokee. It's a 2016, has 2000 miles on it, and has a few more bells and whistles (leather seats, uconnect, etc.)

I can see myself driving this for a couple months.

I talked to the rep and she told me that Acura was pretty much wiping out their fleet and they are ordering new cars just to fill the demand. She said most people are getting offered Kia's and smaller sedans. So if you have a chance to get down there now I'd do it before you get stuck with a Huffy Bicycle.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:59 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My Silverado just as hard to get around in because it is so long and wide. It bounces on the hwy like a pogo stick and it feels like I'm constantly pulling a trailer when I drive? The only good thing is it gets the same mpgs with the V-8 as my RDX. I might do the same thing once I'm done with my yard work (need to pick up some plants a Lowe's this weekend).
Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to see that there are other RDX owners that also owns an S2000.

I have my MY02 with ~60,000 miles sitting inside the garage. I bought the car in 04 and used it as my daily. As soon as I could afford another car, the S2K became the garage queen.

Getting a rental for the RDX recall this week or next.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs
Glad to see that there are other RDX owners that also owns an S2000.

I have my MY02 with ~60,000 miles sitting inside the garage. I bought the car in 04 and used it as my daily. As soon as I could afford another car, the S2K became the garage queen.

Getting a rental for the RDX recall this week or next.
Hello fellow s2000 owner!

I too keep my s2000 in my garage most of the time, but once the weather is good I drive her all the time
Old 04-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

So I ended up getting a 2016 Jeep Renegade for a rental and I must say I hate it. First off the car reminds me of a Scion xb, the head unit display is no bigger than my iphone 6, very slow, seats feel cheap, and there isn't a ton of trunk space. The only thing I like about this car is the automatic start. Every time I check in with enterprise they claim there aren't cars available. I plan to check again this week, I really want a pick up or a luxury car. I will also settle for something with muscle too haha
Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
For people who have not gotten a loaner vech yet, you can make an appt at enterprise before you go there.

Then you can pick a car you want.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:56 PM
6th Gear

Picked this up over the weekend! Thanks Acura/Enterprise!!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow! I'm jealous. I still haven't gotten a call back from the dealership. Called American Honda yesterday and all they could do is resend the "information" to the dealer.. ..
Old 04-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adrian_s2k
Hello fellow s2000 owner!

I too keep my s2000 in my garage most of the time, but once the weather is good I drive her all the time
I hear ya! I never drive it in adverse weather either. This RWD car plus rain at over 60 MPH spells disaster for me.

Back to the topic at hand. I got a 2016 Ford Mustang Convertible. Wife had me return it as it was not suitable for the 4 year old and 7 month old. LOL

Now we're in a 2015 Chevy Equinox
Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I actually ditched my 2015 Camaro for a 2016 Mustang drop top. The Mustang is miles better in almost every aspect, but expected with it being a much newer design. I'm very curious to try a 2016 Camaro if Enterprise gets one in the fleet near me. Until then, I'm enjoying open air driving in the perfect Phoenix weather...
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't done anything for the airbag recall yet, but I plan to ask about it when I go to the dealership for my next service appointment. Anything I need to know beforehand?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Pro

I read an article today that listed the 10th death in a Honda since 2009
Old 04-06-2016, 06:23 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jessejess
I haven't done anything for the airbag recall yet, but I plan to ask about it when I go to the dealership for my next service appointment. Anything I need to know beforehand?
It's pretty simple. You'll sign something saying you won't drive your RDX til it is fixed, and then you'll go to Enterprise and put a card on file - that's it.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DRR98
I read an article today that listed the 10th death in a Honda since 2009
Awful. Just read it. She rear ended a car in front of her that was waiting to make a left turn. Sadly, she was probably texting. But like they said, everyone should have walked away.

No deaths reported from an Acura vehicle, or is Acura rolled into the 9 in Hondas, I wonder?
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I turned in an Infiniti QX70 after a week for a Cadillac SRX. I couldn't get in the Infiniti without bending my head way forward to prevent hitting it. And I am 5' 8". Plus the hood on the Infiniti looked like an ocean. Top it off, no audio streaming. In a $46K vehicle!!! The SRX has a pretty nice stereo, more safety features, including a heated steering wheel (yes I live in Florida but it feels nice and toasty). The car feels heavy is my only complaint, but the seats are great.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrgold35

The Enterprise guy said I have the car until my RDX is repaired. If I wanted to exchange at anytime for something else, just give them a call. The only thing Acura didn't cover was the insurance for rental. I'm covered by full coverage with USAA (at $500 deductible); but, it would of been nice if Acura would cover that also. If you only have liability, you might have to up your coverage to full to C.Y.A. Enterprise charges $17.99 per day for full coverage insurance.
Has anyone been able to get Acura to pay for the Enterprise Insurance? I have Safeco insurance with Liability and Collision but the only thing that carries over to the rental is liability. If I am at fault with the rental car I have to pay out of pocket for the damages. Enterprise wanted $5 a day for the insurance and there is no way I am paying for that especially if I have the car for 3-4 months, this is ridiculous!

I also hate this Jeep Cherokee they gave me, piece of crap that accelerates 0-60 in 17 seconds. Would have been better if it had leather and 6cyl. I want my RDX back .
Old 04-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Pro

^You know you can call them again and reserve the vech you want.

They will call you to exchange one for the other when the one you request comes back in.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs
I hear ya! I never drive it in adverse weather either. This RWD car plus rain at over 60 MPH spells disaster for me.

Back to the topic at hand. I got a 2016 Ford Mustang Convertible. Wife had me return it as it was not suitable for the 4 year old and 7 month old. LOL

Now we're in a 2015 Chevy Equinox

I agree, the s2000 and rain do not mix. When I first got the s2000 I spun out like three times.

Sorry to hear you had to ditch the convertible, but glad you got to enjoy it while you can!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DRR98
^You know you can call them again and reserve the vech you want.

They will call you to exchange one for the other when the one you request comes back in.
See I didn't know that. I will be calling them on my break because I can't deal with this sad excuse for a car.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ben_shafer
Has anyone been able to get Acura to pay for the Enterprise Insurance? I have Safeco insurance with Liability and Collision but the only thing that carries over to the rental is liability. If I am at fault with the rental car I have to pay out of pocket for the damages. Enterprise wanted $5 a day for the insurance and there is no way I am paying for that especially if I have the car for 3-4 months, this is ridiculous!

I also hate this Jeep Cherokee they gave me, piece of crap that accelerates 0-60 in 17 seconds. Would have been better if it had leather and 6cyl. I want my RDX back .
Have you checked with Safeco to see if you can upgrade your personal insurance to full coverage for the rental?. You could call your credit card company to see if they offer some type of additional car insurance coverage. Might have to call other insurance companies to do something temporary for 3-5 months.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ben_shafer

I work in the industry and I'm very surprised that your collision isn't carrying over - you may want to re-read your policy contract. But assuming you understand correctly you could potentially add the rental vehicle onto your insurance policy with the coverage you want/need and ask that your RDX be kept on as a "comp-only" vehicle - since it's effectively in storage and you won't be driving it at all. Comparative to $5/day this is likely to be cheaper. Again I still am surprised that all your coverages aren't being carried over to the "temporary replacement vehicle" - usually the only limitation is that it can't be a long term rental, which can be addressed by getting a new rental agreement every 30 days.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Car storage

I live in the NYC area and dont have a place to store a second car (parking spots are at a premium around here). I called my dealer and they said that they could not store the vehicle for me and that they would not reimburse me for the expense of storing a second car. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Pro

I'm pretty sure the dealer is on the hook for the storage needs. If you can't store it and they say they can't...the million to one odds...it blows up in your face...it's not on you.

You might need to go up the food chain and call Acura customer service (not the dealer) and explain your situation.

I can't wait to get rid of the jeep compAss they gave us.

How could anyone ever test drive this thing and say "You know, this is the one"?

Last edited by DRR98; 04-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
So far, been through 2 rentals with my parents for our RDX, but the terms of the rentals really are not great...I'm in the PA/NJ area and my parents frequently leave those two states, but the rental agreement only allows for PA/NJ/DE, so now we have to be careful with which car we take if we're leaving the area.

The bigger problem is that, even though Honda supposedly made "arrangements" to allow teens to take rentals, Enterprise is only permitting 18+.... I completely understand that they really don't want to trust a car with someone as young as I am (16) for the statistical risk etc, but it does seem a little counter intuitive...If I'm more likely to crash, shouldn't I be higher priority to get out of the recalled ILX? I'll be out of the ILX when my bimmer arrives in about a month, and I'm lucky for that, but until then...

As for the rentals themselves, we first had the choice between a Hyundai Veloster and a Jeep Compass...we went with the Veloster for a week, but it was too small. Now we have a brand new RAV4 XLE, it had 33 miles when we picked it up. Pretty unusual to have a brand new car for an extended period without paying for it!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Racer

So I broke down, and after charging the battery in the 2010 RDX, I took her out for a spin to top off the gas. It was fun again. But here is my problems. It has been only two weeks, and when I first started out, I had flat spots on the tires. They wore off in about a mile, but what if I do let her sit for three months? Will I have permanent flat spots. Also, I live in Florida, so the hot weather is here and coming. I had not opened the doors in those two weeks, and when I did, it seemed like "stale" air. So, once again, if I can't drive it, and starting the car and letting it run for 15 minutes does more harm than good, then what am I supposed to do about the hot humid air that could be festering up while it sits? I don't want to go out one day and start having mold forming on the inside? What is everyone else doing about these things? Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

I plan on driving mine around the neighborhood for 5 miles or so every couple weeks. Long enough to get it up to full operating temp and for the tires to keep their shape. I park it in a garage so I just leave my windows down for ventilation. If you mark it outside, maybe just crack them a bit?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM
mrgold35

I do the same every weekend, drive about 20 mins. I'm an early riser, even on the weekends. I pretty much have the roads to myself in my neighborhood at 7am on Saturday morning. I do keep a battery tender on it during the week; but, I don't turn it on until Friday before my Saturday drive. Kinda wishing I didn't top off with gas before I parked the RDX. Not sure when I should add and sta-bil to the fuel (after 2 or 3 months maybe?).
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hues10
...what am I supposed to do about the hot humid air that could be festering up while it sits? I don't want to go out one day and start having mold forming on the inside? What is everyone else doing about these things? Thanks
Sounds like you have to park it outside? If you parked it inside you could put it on jackstands to prevent flat spots.

Outside you can reduce the size of the flat spots by increasing tire pressure.

Here is one solution for moisture build up...

Amazon.com: DampRid FG50T Hi-Capacity Moisture Absorber, 4-Pound Tub: Dehumidifiers: Posters & Prints Amazon.com: DampRid FG50T Hi-Capacity Moisture Absorber, 4-Pound Tub: Dehumidifiers: Posters & Prints

And change the cabin hvac filter. Get the one impregnated with both carbon and baking soda to help get rid of that stank.

My prep for the downtime was to change the oil and filter, add a can of techrolene and filled the tank and changed the cabin hvac filter.

I'm taking it on the freeway for a full heat cycle once every 3 weeks. I have an optima yellow top, so deep cycling the battery won't have a negative effect on it.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Cruisin'

With regards to tire flat spots. Manufacturers over inflate the tires on the assembly line and the dealers deflate them during the pdi so maybe ask your dealer or one of the techs what psi the tires come at and inflate to that. They do it to avoid flat spots so it should work.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got screwed by Enterprise. I had to drive to Orlando(about 60 miles) the nearest Acura dealer. Acura said they would provide me with a nice rental. The only trouble the Enterprise outlet had two cars and the Corolla was the best they had. They said I could take it to an Enterprise outlet near my house and upgrade. The local Enterprise just said tough luck, they only change cars if there is a mechanical problem. I tried calling the manager and so far he hasn't returned my call. I may have to drive back to Orlando.
On storing the car inside in humid Florida, definitely crack the Windows.
Mike
Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

I do the same every weekend, drive about 20 mins. I'm an early riser, even on the weekends. I pretty much have the roads to myself in my neighborhood at 7am on Saturday morning. I do keep a battery tender on it during the week; but, I don't turn it on until Friday before my Saturday drive. Kinda wishing I didn't top off with gas before I parked the RDX. Not sure when I should add and sta-bil to the fuel (after 2 or 3 months maybe?).
As long as you drive it every week or two I don't think there's anything to worry about with the gas. It'll slosh around every time you move the car.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Makordx
The local Enterprise just said tough luck, they only change cars if there is a mechanical problem. I tried calling the manager and so far he hasn't returned my call.
I've never heard of this from Enterprise...hopefully you can get into something better. Are there any other branches near you? I know I have like 10 within 20 miles of my place. They're everywhere out here.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM
mrgold35

My enterprise guy said I can exchange at anytime within the same price range at anytime. The Chevy truck I currently renting has California plates. I don't see why you couldn't hit any enterprise you want to exchange the vehicle? I would call other enterprise to see if they might be willing to exchange for a better vehicle. You might have to drive a little bit if the local inventory is lacking.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
My enterprise guy said I can exchange at anytime within the same price range at anytime. The Chevy truck I currently renting has California plates. I don't see why you couldn't hit any enterprise you want to exchange the vehicle? I would call other enterprise to see if they might be willing to exchange for a better vehicle. You might have to drive a little bit if the local inventory is lacking.
The Enterprise location near my Acura dealer is very accommodating and allows cars to be exchanged at any time.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Makordx
On storing the car inside in humid Florida, definitely crack the Windows.
Except...

Leave the windows closed if you are using the DampRid desiccant product I posted the link (above) for.

The 4 lbs size is used for boats and RV's and will keep it desert dry on the inside regardless of the outside RH.

For the problem with enterprise -
Go up the food chain. Talk to the mgr at the location nearby and explain. If that is not helpful ask for the name of the regional mgr, and speak to them.

If all else fails - social media is a powerful tool to help companies and businesses understand the negative effects of poor customer service.

A negative yelp review, honestly stating the facts should get the attention of the it tech for enterprise, who will report it to mgt, who will be wanting to see that review updated to show how they eventually did the right thing in the end.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Racer

You all are great by the way. I am glad I am not the only one who snuck a drive in on the weekend. I can't let her sit for months at a time. Especially outside. Thanks all. I will try the damp rid thing just in case.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM
4th Gear

I ended up with a Dodge Journey that I can't stand....I'm going to see if I can get a different car also. Pretty much everyone here (except the unlucky Corolla) seemed to get a better car than me....
Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Just an FYI, I spoke to a rep in Maryland MD today and she said they may start getting the parts in September to address the recall issue. She then stated that enterprise did not have to give me a similar sized vehicle and what I got was it, no trade in or exchanges. She said a sedan is the largest vehicle they will rent and NO SUV's will be given, at all.
So I called the Acura client rep and spoke with Gloria, she said Honda America has allocated the money, and given the discretion to the dealers to determine what level of vehicle enterprise will rent to the recall recipients, i.e. Sedans. Her suggestion boiled down to find a dealership w good customer service.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Angry Airbag recall in Maryland

Just an FYI, I spoke to a rep in Maryland MD today and she said they may start getting the parts in September to address the recall issue. She then stated that enterprise did not have to give me a similar sized vehicle and what I got was it, no trade in or exchanges. She said a sedan is the largest vehicle they will rent and NO SUV's will be given, at all.
So I called the Acura client rep and spoke with Gloria, she said Honda America has allocated the money, and given the discretion to the dealers to determine what level of vehicle enterprise will rent to the recall recipients, i.e. Sedans. Her suggestion boiled down to find a dealership w good customer service.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by hues10
You all are great by the way. I am glad I am not the only one who snuck a drive in on the weekend. I can't let her sit for months at a time. Especially outside. Thanks all. I will try the damp rid thing just in case.
I work abroad all summer. I just park it, fold in the mirrors, put the sun shade in the front window, 303 protectant in the interior, a few extra psi to the tires. When I return in August, it starts right up and goes like I had only been gone a day. Even last summer with my original battery nearing 8 years.

+1 for the damp rid in a place like FL though.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall