Air Bag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received my letter today. I really do hope they gives us rentals because I don't want to put miles on my s2000 either ! Plus I want to drive a brand new Acura lol
Old 03-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by HBob
Had a chat with my dealership (Ottawa, Canada)
Apparently there haven't been any incidents in the USA nor Canada, going back 14+ years now...
The letter states..."Past ruptures like this have killed and injured drivers."

Don't take this recall lightly! Get the loaner, it's free!

We just got our letter and one for our daughters CRV as well.

Last edited by DRR98; 03-21-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I received a letter today too. I've been on hold for 2 hours trying to get more information and everything set up. Pretty sure they close in 15 minutes (9pm my time)

I do not want to drive my vehicle now. I live in a dangerous area (lots of elderly drivers, major car accidents 2-3 times per week right near my house). An airbag deployment is a very possible situation on the daily. I'm not comfortable driving it and I cant stop my life either.

How long did it take some of you to get the rental?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

Ohhh I though the whole rental thing was when our cars got to the shop. So you guys are saying I can get a rental now until my parts come in and they fix the airbags? That would be great because I really do worry when I drive, especially when I lend my car to my sister. Is there anyone on here that has already received a rental?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:43 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by adrian_s2k
Ohhh I though the whole rental thing was when our cars got to the shop. So you guys are saying I can get a rental now until my parts come in and they fix the airbags? That would be great because I really do worry when I drive, especially when I lend my car to my sister. Is there anyone on here that has already received a rental?
I just went today during lunch and picked up my rental from Enterprise. I got a V8 Chevy Silverado 4dr truck. It probably gets better mpgs than my RDX and runs on regular. I was at the Acura dealership anyways for an oil change on the MDX and wanted more info. They said they were getting a lot folks in everyday renting cars and parking their RDX because of the recall. I figured I would go ahead and get a vehicle before I'm stuck with Smart car or Kia for 3-4 months.

It was quick and easy:
- Acura had me sign a service ticket about the airbag recall (option to keep at dealership or home)
- Acura call Enterprise, they arrived in 5 mins to pick me up,
- Lucky for me they only had one truck on the lot and that is what I wanted. Enterprise said nearly all Acura owners all wanted large SUVs rentals.
- Gave my driver's licence and I had a scanned copy of the wife's DL on my Dropbox account
- They took a $50 credit card deposit; which, I will get back when I turn in the vehicle.
- signed the paperwork and left.

The Enterprise guy said I have the car until my RDX is repaired. If I wanted to exchange at anytime for something else, just give them a call. The only thing Acura didn't cover was the insurance for rental. I'm covered by full coverage with USAA (at $500 deductible); but, it would of been nice if Acura would cover that also. If you only have liability, you might have to up your coverage to full to C.Y.A. Enterprise charges $17.99 per day for full coverage insurance.

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-22-2016 at 02:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
adrian_s2k (03-23-2016), Jdrum1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The only thing Acura didn't cover was the insurance for rental. I'm covered by full coverage with USAA (at $500 deductible); but, it would of been nice if Acura would cover that also. If you only have liability, you might have to up your coverage to full to C.Y.A. Enterprise charges $17.99 per day for full coverage insurance.
Glad you mentioned that. Just checked my Geico policy, and they cover rentals for a max of 30 days.

I emailed to ask if that's extendable in this circumstance.

$17.99 per day is steep!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:31 PM
mrgold35

USAA said I'm good while I have the rental. I asked her specifically it could take up to 3-4 months. She let out a little "oh my" and said I'm covered for that time.

I still might call Acura client relations to double-check on the insurance coverage. I still keep full coverage on my MDX and RDX; but, just liability on the TSX. I can see only having liability coverage could cause some serious damage in your wallet on a rental vehicle if you have an accident. I figure about 1/8 to 1/4 of the RDX owner's might only have liability since the vehicle has been paid off for a while.

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-22-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Racer

Geico will only cover 30 consecutive days, so I will need to turn it in, and get a new one once a month......

Pain in the a$$, but at least I'm covered.

Now to call Acura back.

Moral of the story for everybody; check your insurance coverage.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 AM
Cruisin'

The 30 day insurance limitation for temporary replacement rentals is a VERY common insurance contract limitation. Progressive, like GEICO, has that limitation as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM
mrgold35

I called Acura/Honda again, (888) 234-2138, to double-check on the insurance for rental vehicles. They said we are responsible for our own insurance and gas with the rentals.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

I just went today during lunch and picked up my rental from Enterprise. I got a V8 Chevy Silverado 4dr truck. It probably gets better mpgs than my RDX and runs on regular. I was at the Acura dealership anyways for an oil change on the MDX and wanted more info. They said they were getting a lot folks in everyday renting cars and parking their RDX because of the recall. I figured I would go ahead and get a vehicle before I'm stuck with Smart car or Kia for 3-4 months.

It was quick and easy:
- Acura had me sign a service ticket about the airbag recall (option to keep at dealership or home)
- Acura call Enterprise, they arrived in 5 mins to pick me up,
- Lucky for me they only had one truck on the lot and that is what I wanted. Enterprise said nearly all Acura owners all wanted large SUVs rentals.
- Gave my driver's licence and I had a scanned copy of the wife's DL on my Dropbox account
- They took a $50 credit card deposit; which, I will get back when I turn in the vehicle.
- signed the paperwork and left.

The Enterprise guy said I have the car until my RDX is repaired. If I wanted to exchange at anytime for something else, just give them a call. The only thing Acura didn't cover was the insurance for rental. I'm covered by full coverage with USAA (at $500 deductible); but, it would of been nice if Acura would cover that also. If you only have liability, you might have to up your coverage to full to C.Y.A. Enterprise charges $17.99 per day for full coverage insurance.

Thank you so much for the information. I will be headed to the Acura dealership on my day off which is Friday, hopefully I can get there sooner if they can assist me past 7pm. Thanks again MrGold!!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm now driving an almost new Toyota Tacoma. I'm happy with Acura for doing the right thing and for making this an easy process. I will continue to buy Acura's, looking forward to seeing what they do with the new RDX.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Will the exchange every 30 days work to extend insurance coverage with Geico? I read my credit card provision as well, and they said it would only cover 30 days coverage over a 45 day period. Realize, we are not talking about credit cards here, but just saying that maybe the car insurance has the same provision. Guess only way to find out is to call.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Racer

Here is what they told me:

"We received your response, and we apologize if the previous email did not fully answer your questions regarding extending your insurance coverage to a rental vehicle. You are a valued customer, and we are sorry to hear that you are considering changing to another insurance company. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We understand that the repair of your vehicle's airbags is being done for your safety, and that you will not be driving a rental vehicle for pleasure. We also understand that your vehicle's repairs may take as long as 4 months, and you are unsure if the dealership will cover the cost of insurance for the rental. Rest assured, if you are issued a new rental vehicle every 30 days while your vehicle is being repaired, your current coverage will extend to each vehicle. Please note that the vehicle must also be rented in your name. Also, the coverages will extend at the same limits and deductibles that you carry on your current policy.

If the rental agency requires proof of coverage, you may print, email, or fax this information by logging into your policy at service.geico.com and clicking the ID Cards and Documents tab.

We hope this information was helpful.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you today and for using our online services.

Sincerely,

Corina
GEICO Internet Service
www.geico.com
1-800-861-8380"
Old 03-24-2016, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

Shouldn't be concerned....

I called my dealership about the recall and they told me I shouldn't worry about it because of my region's (Chicago) weather. So basically I am stuck driving around with a car that could potentially kill me with the airbag.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rdx2011turbo
I called my dealership about the recall and they told me I shouldn't worry about it because of my region's (Chicago) weather. So basically I am stuck driving around with a car that could potentially kill me with the airbag.
Have you called Acura directly?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:10 PM
mrgold35

The dealership is acting like the $$ is coming out of their pockets? I was going to still drive my RDX since it has spent 99% of its time in the southwest. I started thinking "what if...". The worst thing is I could get hurt/killed or even much worst my wife or kid could suffer life long injuries if there are additional problems not yet reported with Takata airbags. I had a minor fender/bender in my RDX last year before the airbag recall. It was low speed enough to not require the airbags to deploy. Kinda scary to think what would of happened if I was going 5-10 mph faster? No one plans to be in an accident.

The plus side is you can change loaners every two weeks for the fun of it. It is getting close to convertible season!

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-24-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Have you called Acura directly?
I left a message with the Acura Client Relations. We shall see! The service representative at the dealer stated his car has the same recall and he isn't concerned to have his two kids with him in the car.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

The dealership is acting like the $$ is coming out of their pockets? I was going to still drive my RDX since it has spent 99% of its time in the southwest. I started thinking "what if...". The worst thing is I could get hurt/killed or even much worst my wife or kid could suffer life long injuries if there are additional problems not yet reported with Takata airbags. I had a minor fender/bender in my RDX last year before the airbag recall. It was low speed enough to not require the airbags to deploy. Kinda scary to think what would of happened if I was going 5-10 mph faster? No one plans to be in an accident.

The plus side is you can change loaners every two weeks for the fun of it. It is getting close to convertible season!
Yeah it's kinda ridiculous, The wording in the recall letter makes it sound like my car is a death machine, and then just tell me it'll be ok!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I have an appointment with Acura dealer Saturday at 9:00 a.m. They said it should take 20 minutes. The funny part is that they want to see my vehicle to confirm the VIN and mileage. So basically, drive my recalled vehicle there and back even though it is potentially unsafe. Now that makes sense. So the question is, if we park our vehicles for four months, what do we do to keep it running in top shape without driving it? Besides a trickle battery charger, what else should we do. Start and let run for like 15 minutes every week?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Racer

I think the battery is the only real concern. Even at that, a few months isn't that long.

On the plus side, this finally provides the down time I need to send the ECU to Hondata!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn, I just got the letter. Totally slipped my mind until that letter. I'm glad Acura is taking care of you fellas. I will be making a call to Acura soon. I hope I can get something the same size or larger.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by hues10
So the question is, if we park our vehicles for four months, what do we do to keep it running in top shape without driving it? Besides a trickle battery charger, what else should we do. Start and let run for like 15 minutes every week?
To be clear the sign off states that if you drive it you take responsibility for the defect if you should choose to drive before the repair. If it blows up in your face you can't sue them.

I would not start it only to let it idle till the fans come on. If you can't warm it up fully it leaves moisture in the oil and exhaust system.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the long down time yet.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Funny, the dealership near me said the same thing - the climate here should make it extremely unlikely that my airbag would be affected. But...I live in Phoenix - one of the driest parts of the US. I'm told humidity can be a factor, and it doesn't get much more humid than a Chicago summer. To their defense, mine did still offer a car though.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hues10
I have an appointment with Acura dealer Saturday at 9:00 a.m. They said it should take 20 minutes. The funny part is that they want to see my vehicle to confirm the VIN and mileage. So basically, drive my recalled vehicle there and back even though it is potentially unsafe. Now that makes sense. So the question is, if we park our vehicles for four months, what do we do to keep it running in top shape without driving it? Besides a trickle battery charger, what else should we do. Start and let run for like 15 minutes every week?
I personally plan to start it and drive around my neighborhood for about 20 minutes every other weekend. I have no intention of letting it sit untouched for several months.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I personally plan to start it and drive around my neighborhood for about 20 minutes every other weekend. I have no intention of letting it sit untouched for several months.
I let mine sit all summer w/o touching it, since I work in Africa. Just starts right up when I come home as if I'd been using it every day.

I'm leaving at the beginning of May for the summer as usual, so guess I'll just drive it as little as possible until then. Hopefully Acura will be ready when I return at the end of July.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 03-24-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 PM
mrgold35

I just had an oil change on my RDX. I was planning on driving it once a week on the weekend for 20-30 mins to get the old juices flowing and avoid flat spots on the tires. I do have a battery charger if I happen to skip a week.

I think I might give the RDX a good detail inside and out while she is down for a while.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:28 AM
8th Gear

Just picked up my rental.

Had a choice at a very small enterprise between a minivan a Buick Enclave and an F150.

f150 rental for RDX
Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

Sweet rental! I hope to get an F150 also. Highly doubt it but it's possible.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Got my letter last week. No parts till summer?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Called Acura twice and the Honda dealership twice. Now the wait until Monday when they get to my case file and get me a temporary vehicle.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went in with my RDX on Tuesday. They had 6 other people there dropping cars off for the recall just in the short time I was there. I live in South Florida, a few miles form the ocean, so they are taking it more seriously down here. I wanted to keep my car at home but the dealer told me no, so they are keeping it on their lot.

They shuttled me, my 3 year old, and my 2 car seats over to Enterprise. There was one car left on the lot. Hyandai Sonata. I dont know what they did for the other 5 people after me. We're in the middle of spring break down here and so it's slim pickins. They told me to come back next week, when the locals get back from vacation, and they'll give me an SUV or mini van. They were very nice about it. It probably helped that the Enterprise manager thought my son was an angel, hahaha!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Yakpimp
Just picked up my rental.

Had a choice at a very small enterprise between a minivan a Buick Enclave and an F150.

f150 rental for RDX
Looks like mine, except in silver!

Folks, just put in some Stabil fuel stabilizer in the gas and put a battery charger on the battery once a month. Easy preventative maintenance.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 PM
mrgold35

We should start a thread "Show off your Takata airbag loaner vehicle". I'm missing my RDX already after only a few days.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

I'm just hoping for three things. They let me keep the RDX at home. They don't damage anything while replacing the airbags. And I get a decent sized/reliable rental. The last major rental my girlfriend had had brake issues, tire issues, and it smelled real bad.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

They didn't have any RDX-sized replacements available at the time I went, so they gave me a choice between a Camaro and a Jetta until they got more SUV's in. Guess I'll be having a bit of fun this week.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
They didn't have any RDX-sized replacements available at the time I went, so they gave me a choice between a Camaro and a Jetta until they got more SUV's in. Guess I'll be having a bit of fun this week.
So you're having fun with a jetta???

I kid I kid. A camaro is better than a corolla/Kia Rio.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
^^That sounds great. Taking in my mom's RDX on Wednesday, then my daily ILX over the weekend...I'd like to putt around in a Camaro for a while, although I'm sure I'll miss the luxury of an Acura.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by panamera125
^^That sounds great. Taking in my mom's RDX on Wednesday, then my daily ILX over the weekend...I'd like to putt around in a Camaro for a while, although I'm sure I'll miss the luxury of an Acura.
Not kidding there...the interior is no better than my 2006 Cobalt I had 10 years ago. I hear the 2016 car is miles ahead of this, which is good because it's desperately needed. At least the Cobalt had good ergonomics...the Camaro has buttons in places it shouldn't have them, and a screen so low that there's no way to even glance at it without completely removing eyes from road. The knobs and buttons are tiny and hard to find without looking directly at them. Aside from a faux leather patch in the dash and a couple pieces on the door and console cover, the rest is covered in rock hard plastic. At least it has a bit of thickness to it and a decent texture, but it still feels pretty cheap.

All that said, it drives great and makes a decent sound when winding out the engine. Transmission is very responsive, and it gets better fuel economy than the RDX while also running on regular. It's a car I'll visit, but I wouldn't like to live with.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 AM
mrgold35

I had a Dodge challenger loaner for a while while my RDX was being repair for a fender/bender last year (good thing the air bag didn't deploy). Everything you said about the Camaro was also true for the Dodge. As bad as the interior/ergonomics/visibility were the V-6 engine, 8AT trans, mpg of +23 combined, and gauge cluster were top notch.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall