Air Bag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Air Bag Recall

Looks like the 2007-2016(early production 2016 model) RDX is included in this expanded recall. Bummer, I was hoping the RDX wasn't included.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This suck. Our 2010 Accord was also recently added to the list. Double bummer for me.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 AM
4th Gear

article Honda expands airbag recall to 2.2M more U.S. vehicles
The following users liked this post:
DRR98 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Crap.......and I don't have an Acura dealer near me.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Here is the link to the Transport Canada site: Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database

I called Acura Canada and they said that I should get a letter in the mail with instructions on what to do. Also called local dealer and they basically said the same thing.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone heard of someone getting a loaner car or rental under this recall? If I can't get that I at least want to disable the airbag. It would suck to hit one of the 100s of deer I miss on the roads each week and be disfigured from an unnecessary airbag deployment.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this in a Honda press release from May 2015, and I assume it would apply to cars hit by the expanded recall:

"Should there be any wait for a replacement airbag inflator, our dealers are prepared to provide alternative transportation in the form of a loaner or rental vehicle, free of charge, until your own vehicle is repaired."

Also a reddit topic on the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Honda/comme...oaner_vehicle/

My nearest Acura dealer makes a big deal about loaners for service, bringing the loaner to you, etc., so I figured the same policy would apply to this.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Talked to my Acura service mgr this morning and he said there is going to be a list of VINs for the RDXs that are included in the airbag recall. He said the list may not be out until March and parts may not be available until April.

The only RDXs that "might" not be included is probably an extremely early 2007 or extremely late 2016? I think we all will most likely be included and have to drive at our own risk until the fix.

Might check Amazon for body armor and crash helmet for driving my RDX.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Yup:

Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site
Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 AM
mrgold35

The database not updated yet. The only thing that pops up is a driver's door jam label for my 08?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Pro

^^They say after Feb 15th the information will be available. We'll see....

We have to had the replacement done "twice" on my wife's 2010 Element. The first time we took it to Marin Honda, they called us a few days later and said the work was never actually done. Had to bring it in again.

I really hope this never extends to my S2000. The thought of the dealer touching that car gives me cold night sweats.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaputnik

I really hope this never extends to my S2000. The thought of the dealer touching that car gives me cold night sweats.
I can relate!!!

My nearest Acura dealer is 281 miles away. Will a Honda dealer be able to do the repair in my situation?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I can relate!!!

My nearest Acura dealer is 281 miles away. Will a Honda dealer be able to do the repair in my situation?
They might be able to, but I am guessing that it would have to be worked out with Acura Client Services first.

I would call client services once the parts are available and ask them to assist. when you do, I would tell them how far the nearest Acura dealer is from you and exactly what Honda dealer you would like to perform the recall so they can set it up ahead of time with that dealer.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Just scheduled an appointment for the work on Monday. I'm not entirely sure the service advisor was up to date on the latest recall announcement...I asked about parts availability and it sounded like a non-issue. Maybe because we're in a high humidity/heat area? I guess I'll find out on Monday. Kind of surprised by the dealership's lack of familiarity with the newest recall. (This is in Savannah, GA)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I thought that high RH was a known cause of failure?

(I love Savannah)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I think so. I wasn't too clear in that post -- I think the humidity issue might be why they're ready to go and didn't seem that concerned with the latest recall or a delay in parts availability. Seems like they've been getting cars in and out pretty fast for this.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM
mrgold35

Put in my VIN for my 08 and there was a (slight) update; but, nothing until the summer:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: AWAITING#
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JY2
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: Takata Driver Airbag Inflator
RECALL DATE: 02/12/2016
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.

SUMMARY:
SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODCUE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY.

SAFETY RISK:
IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.

REMEDY:
THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. ACURA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN AN INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAI LABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA'S CLIENT RELATIONS AT 1-888-382-2238, AND SELECT OPTION 4. ACURA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY2.

I don't know if the southwest is a lower priority compared to the higher humidity eastcoast and southern states. Now sure how soon/long Acura would provide a loaner vehicles if someone doesn't feel safe driving their recall vehicle?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM
mrgold35

I just tried to call Acura's Client Relations at 1-888-382-2238 Option 4. It just said "This number is not in service".
Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM
mrgold35

I was able to call an alternate number of (888) 234-2138 and updated my personal info and open a case number. A client relation person is going to call me back in a few days to let me know what my options are for the recall and rental/loaner vehicle.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pjhalifax
Just scheduled an appointment for the work on Monday. I'm not entirely sure the service advisor was up to date on the latest recall announcement...I asked about parts availability and it sounded like a non-issue. Maybe because we're in a high humidity/heat area? I guess I'll find out on Monday. Kind of surprised by the dealership's lack of familiarity with the newest recall. (This is in Savannah, GA)
I thought this sounded too good to be true so I called back and spoke to another person. They don't have the parts, and I got the same info mentioned earlier in the thread -- they won't have a detailed lists of VINs from which to work until March.

The advisor did mention a $35/day credit with Enterprise car rental *if* my VIN does show up on the recall list. I said that it currently does show up on the latest list and he more or less wasn't ready to believe that as 100% accurate yet. I might give client care a call just to see what they say.

Either way, apologies for the false info. Sounds like everyone is in the same boat.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Well I have been dealing with Honda/Acura over the phone for about a week. I was just officially informed today that I can pick up a loaner/rental car BUT I would have to leave my RDX at the Honda dealer. I've been dealing with Honda because there is a dealer close to me while there is not an Acura dealer close. I'm just not willing to let my car sit on their lot until summer or whenever the fix is ready versus siting safely in my garage under my care.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
mrgold35

I figured there was a .000001% chance Acura would give us a loaner from the lot while we wait for the airbag recall. I wouldn't want to rent a cheaper domestic brand for months compared to driving my RDX.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I figured there was a .000001% chance Acura would give us a loaner from the lot while we wait for the airbag recall. I wouldn't want to rent a cheaper domestic brand for months compared to driving my RDX.
Have you been able to get anywhere with them yet? It was suprisingly easy for me to get approved for replacement transportation. I have no idea what that transportation was going to be. I just wouldn't agree to leaving my car anywhere. There's a much bigger chance of my car getting damaged by hail, being ran into by other cars, door dinged or vandalized sitting at the dealer vs in my garage in BFE. I'm sure that if any damage did occur to my vehicle while sitting there, it would be payed for by me or my insurance and not the dealer. Just a risk and headache I'm not willing to take.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...airbag-recalls

Is this good news? I know my 2009 RDX has very little value as a trade since this all started.
The following users liked this post:
HBob (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TL Dream
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...airbag-recalls

Is this good news? I know my 2009 RDX has very little value as a trade since this all started.
Thanks for the article.
From the article: "In the notice to dealers last week, Honda said that replacement components will not arrive before this summer."
Not good.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HBob
Thanks for the article.
From the article: "In the notice to dealers last week, Honda said that replacement components will not arrive before this summer."
Not good.
I've already asked the dealer in my town about this. He said it would be late May before they knew anything more. Odds are likely they will use all he new bags on the new cars that are either on lots or on the way. Then they'll fix existing CPO so they can move them off the lot. Last will be everyday people. I bet super last will be the BMW dealer across town that has some they need to sell used.

What a mess.

Remember, Acura makes a safe care that holds its resale. Mine has no value, but has made me a very defensive driver!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by trent_ky
Have you been able to get anywhere with them yet? It was suprisingly easy for me to get approved for replacement transportation. I have no idea what that transportation was going to be. I just wouldn't agree to leaving my car anywhere. There's a much bigger chance of my car getting damaged by hail, being ran into by other cars, door dinged or vandalized sitting at the dealer vs in my garage in BFE. I'm sure that if any damage did occur to my vehicle while sitting there, it would be payed for by me or my insurance and not the dealer. Just a risk and headache I'm not willing to take.
I ended up playing phone tag 3-4 times with my rep and they haven't called me back since. I figure they would give me a daily allowance for rental. I don't know what the $$ amount will be and for how long since it could be mid-late summer before the airbag is replaced on my RDX. I will keep calling to get more details on options available. I really don't want to drive a Ford Escape or Kia Forte for 4-6 months.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup in ABQ too - rolling in a '16 F-150 because of the recall. Montano did the rental for 90 days initially then will re-up if necessary (sounds like it probably will be). I had to call Acura client number for them to get them to agree to it. The Enterprise car manager says they're anticipating 1300 rentals from Acura alone. Sucks not driving it, but at least the mileage is staying low. Picked up some Stabil and will be put a battery tender on the Rex soon.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Racer

So, as of now it seems that I should:

1. call Acura at (888) 234-2138.
2. inquire about having the work done at my local Honda dealer.
3. push for a rental until the fix is done.

Anything else?

I hadn't really thought much about the safety of the current airbag until last week. While on a spring break trip, we got caught in some bad storm and saw numerous wrecks. Made me a little nervous.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:28 AM
Advanced

Well I just picked up a brand new 16 Kia Optima rental with 3 miles today. I'm very pleased with Acura for doing this. I will definitely stay loyal to the brand. It was a very painless process.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
So, as of now it seems that I should:

1. call Acura at (888) 234-2138.
2. inquire about having the work done at my local Honda dealer.
3. push for a rental until the fix is done.

Anything else?

I hadn't really thought much about the safety of the current airbag until last week. While on a spring break trip, we got caught in some bad storm and saw numerous wrecks. Made me a little nervous.
That's pretty much it! Just be nice! It was never necessary for me to get aggravated with them. Compared to dealing with GM corporate over a brand new car with problems this was a peach. My RDX has 160k now and I bought it used with 60k. I certainly didn't expect a free rental car, but I've got one and they are letting me keep the RDX as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 AM
mrgold35

That's pretty much it! Just be nice! It was never necessary for me to get aggravated with them. Compared to dealing with GM corporate over a brand new car with problems this was a peach. My RDX has 160k now and I bought it used with 60k. I certainly didn't expect a free rental car, but I've got one and they are letting me keep the RDX as well.
I was worried I would have to keep the RDX at the dealership waiting for parts. Good to know I can keep it at home.

I might have to do my fellow goldORsilver ABQ partner has done and see about a F-150 rental. I have a ton on leaves, tree/shrub trimmings, old furniture from spring cleaning I need to get ride of and need a truck.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Racer

My girlfriend had a terrible experience trying to get the ignition recall done on her Pontiac.......never again!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:24 PM
8th Gear

I spoke directly with Honda customer service (888.234.2138) and was provided a loaner through my local Acura dealership partnering with Enterprise (2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited). I was able to keep my RDX, but was required to sign an acknowledgement that I would not drive the vehicle and that the vehicle could be towed (at no cost) to the dealership when the parts were available for repair. The dealership expected something in late May, early June.

Last edited by neubert24; 03-15-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:09 AM
Advanced

I had to sign a form as well but it's really not a big deal. I'm kinda pissed I got a Kia and you guys got an f150 and a jeep. WTH. Lol in all seriousness I can't complain.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 PM
10th Gear

i wonder if i should make a call or wait for a letter?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Pro

Got my letter today

For those that have received a loaner, do they check to see if you have another car registered in your name? I have a Honda S2000 I theoretically could drive. But it's my low mileage garage baby and frankly a horrible daily driver.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I have a Honda S2000 I theoretically could drive. But it's my low mileage garage baby and frankly a horrible daily driver.
Same boat (s2000 plus a classic), but I really doubt they'll consider that.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Had a chat with my dealership (Ottawa, Canada) today and they basically again said end of summer for parts.
Apparently there haven't been any incidents in the USA nor Canada, going back 14+ years now...
Old 03-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Pro

^^I'll be working abroad this summer, so my car will sit. I don't intend to pursue a rental at this time.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall