Acura RDX B134 service

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura RDX B134 service

Hello guys, I'm just new here and want to ask something regarding this light that pop up on my dashboard. Anyone here experience B134 maintenance minder? I know B1 is kinda change oil but B134 was new to me. By the way I already reach 103k mileage. What are the services do I need to check on this? Thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Acura Service Codes

A: Replace Engine Oil
B: Replace Engine Oil and Filter. Inspect various systems and components
1: Rotate Tires and check tire pressure and condition
2: Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt and replace dust and pollen filter
3: Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped)
4: Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance
5: Replace Engine Coolant
6: Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)

It really depends on your dealership on how close or over $1000 they will charge to do everything.

I did an A14 for my TSX and a B4 for my RDX it was over $700 each. I also purchase my own oil at walmart, do my own oil/cabin filters, do alignments with Firestone (free lifetime), and rotations/balance with Discount Tires (free lifetime) to help keep the cost down.

Might think about replacing the drive belt with a serpentine belt kit; if, you are planning to keep the MDX for a few more years.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
4=timing belt replacement!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Shouldn't have to worry about the chain so long as you kept up on your oil changes. I figure you're out a few hundred for the oil change, spark plugs, and transmission service (less if you DIY). Dealer can easily check the rest of that stuff while it's in for service.

Not sure if there is an easy way to check the tension on the timing chain or not, but if so that's not a bad idea. It will at least give you some idea on how it's wearing, but really as long as it's not defective and you maintain the car well, the chain should last several hundred thousand miles.

Also, as Gold said, start inspecting your serpent (accessory) belt regularly as after 100k you're getting into the twilight years for that particular piece (although they can often go 200k or more these days).
justnspace (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:50 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Acura Service Codes

A: Replace Engine Oil
B: Replace Engine Oil and Filter. Inspect various systems and components
1: Rotate Tires and check tire pressure and condition
2: Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt and replace dust and pollen filter
3: Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped)
4: Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance
5: Replace Engine Coolant
6: Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)

It really depends on your dealership on how close or over $1000 they will charge to do everything.

I did an A14 for my TSX and a B4 for my RDX it was over $700 each. I also purchase my own oil at walmart, do my own oil/cabin filters, do alignments with Firestone (free lifetime), and rotations/balance with Discount Tires (free lifetime) to help keep the cost down.

Might think about replacing the drive belt with a serpentine belt kit; if, you are planning to keep the MDX for a few more years.
Woah!! I think my pocket will burn today! do you think I can service this one at a time like for today I do the fluid changes and do the others next month? Actually I called acura dealership give me a quote for B134 around $965. And still trying to bring my RDX in Firestone for lower cost. By the way thanks for your quick respond.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Shouldn't have to worry about the chain so long as you kept up on your oil changes. I figure you're out a few hundred for the oil change, spark plugs, and transmission service (less if you DIY). Dealer can easily check the rest of that stuff while it's in for service.

Not sure if there is an easy way to check the tension on the timing chain or not, but if so that's not a bad idea. It will at least give you some idea on how it's wearing, but really as long as it's not defective and you maintain the car well, the chain should last several hundred thousand miles.

Also, as Gold said, start inspecting your serpent (accessory) belt regularly as after 100k you're getting into the twilight years for that particular piece (although they can often go 200k or more these days).
This is what Im thinking if I have to change the chain because I believe this will cost me a lot. Maybe I have to check the serpent belt for now though. Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You should be good on the timing chain until +200,000 miles. Everyone is going back to chains now days compared having belts around +8 years ago (belt were only good for 90,000-120,000 miles). I had to leave my RDX and TSX over night because they said they needed the engine to be cold to adjust/check the valves.

I just took my 06 TSX in for a B1 service with 120,000 miles on the odo. I had them flush out the power steering fluid even after the tech told me it was "suppose" to be lifetime for that fluid. Don't know their definition of lifetime; but, +9 years seems a little too long for me?

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-06-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM
7th Gear

Oh I already confused because I'm reading some threads regarding the belts and chains. My dumb questions are 1) according to Acura website I have to check the DRIVE BELT (what it is?) 2) some threads says 2007 rdx have the timing chains but what's the difference with timing belt and serpentine belt and this chain. I know this is not my major please enlighten me. Any diagrams or photos? Thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Thyng
Oh I already confused because I'm reading some threads regarding the belts and chains. My dumb questions are 1) according to Acura website I have to check the DRIVE BELT (what it is?) 2) some threads says 2007 rdx have the timing chains but what's the difference with timing belt and serpentine belt and this chain. I know this is not my major please enlighten me. Any diagrams or photos? Thanks
The drive belt is just another name for the serpent belt or accessory belt. It's the rubber black belt on the outside of your engine that wraps around a number of pulleys - crankshaft at the bottom, then power steering, a/c, alternator, etc. In most cars made in the last 10 years (RDX included), the belt should last at least 150k miles. Previously the material was not as good the belts usually needed to be replaced every 60k.

The timing chain is inside your engine, also wrapped around the crankshaft but it is responsible for spinning the cams on top of your engine, which actuate the valves. That, on a well-maintained engine, should never need servicing. But, sometimes things happen.
mrgold35 (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 02:12 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
The drive belt is just another name for the serpent belt or accessory belt. It's the rubber black belt on the outside of your engine that wraps around a number of pulleys - crankshaft at the bottom, then power steering, a/c, alternator, etc. In most cars made in the last 10 years (RDX included), the belt should last at least 150k miles. Previously the material was not as good the belts usually needed to be replaced every 60k.

The timing chain is inside your engine, also wrapped around the crankshaft but it is responsible for spinning the cams on top of your engine, which actuate the valves. That, on a well-maintained engine, should never need servicing. But, sometimes things happen.
Now I get it. Well I think my drive belt is in good shape if it will last for 150k miles but still I have to check it though. Thanks Tomtwtwtw for a detailed explanation.