About to pull the trigger on an RDX - any regrets?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to pull the trigger on an RDX - any regrets?

Hi All -

So I think I've decided on an '09 RDX over an X3. I enjoyed the drive pretty equally, but the tech package and the 10k lower price (when loaded) sold me on it. Anybody regret their RDX purchase and wish they had gotten something different?

Also - any recent buyers of the '09 around here? What did you pay (with tech)?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No regrets here.

I'd consider an EX35 (or an AWD car) if space wasn't an issue - otherwise, it's the best bang for the buck in the CUV market IMO.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Racer

In these days of high gas prices, you need to ask yourself if you really need a 4000 pound SUV.

If the RDX is the right size for you, then there aren't any better combinations of value, utility, luxury, and performance.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Instructor

+1 on the RDX being the best combo of all.

I only temporarily regret getting the RDX when the mod bug hits me.

But when I think of it more, my practicality side always wins and the bug subdues.

It all depends on what you're looking for when purchasing a vehicle.

Congrats on the RDX!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I just bought an 09 Rdx in August I went from an 06 civic si I think the Rdx is great I have an appnt this Friday with Church Automotive for my Hondata reflash and custom exhaust from Church . Hey even my younger brother likes it and he drives 02 S2000 and he thinks it pulls good .
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I love my RDX so far! Bought an '08 this past June. The '08 is exactly the same as an '09 except for the passenger power seat which, for $3500 differential, I can live without.

I can't get enough of the SH-AWD and the way it "pivits" the car in corners under power. I'm looking forward to some snow this winter!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The X3 is garbage.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Instructor

I have no regrets in terms of the way it drives or of its utility.

I wish it had a few extra bells in it but doesn't make me regret buying it.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The X3 is actually pretty nice. The ride is vastly improved in the latest versions, as is the interior (which, IMO, is much nicer than the more plasticy RDX). I also think the 6-speed tranny and six-cyl give you a much nicer drive train than the RDX. Just on sheer driving dynamics and ride comfort, I'd take the X3.

But, the X3 will be nowhere near as reliable as the RDX, the cabin electronics are a joke (the nav system is even more primitive than the Idrive in the pre-facelift 3-series), and the cost of the X3 exceeds that of an MDX. The AWD system in the RDX is also far more sophisticated than what the X3 offers. I've also had great experiences with Acura dealers - not so much with the arogant BMW dealers.

So, get the X3 if money is not an object, you don't care about gizmos and electronics, and can live with average reliability. The upsides will be a nicely finished interior, smooth V6 (albiet with a touchy throttle), and excellent overall dynamics (for the segment).

Get the RDX if reliablity, bang-for-the-buck, and great tech (nav, sound system, backup camera) are key issues. You'll need to be comfortable with a turbo 4 cyl and a somewhat harsh ride and blah MPG. I tend to buy cars loaded, so the fact that the RDX's cabin electronics are best-in-the-buisness is attractive.

Oh, and one last issue is exterior styling. I may be along in this but have always really liked the styling of the RDX. I think it is one of the best looking vehicles in the class. I find the X3 to be unremarkable either way. This is all just a matter of opinion though.

I had the same choice to make - and opted for none of the above. I special ordered a 3-series sportwagon instead. If it came down to a RDX vs. X3 though, I'd probably go for the RDX. I think it is a much better value.

Last edited by darth62; 10-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
compared to the selection....theres nothing better out, it has the best blend of everything, and above all, it drives better than everything. It may not have the comfort of the murano, it may not have as much of a behaved ride as the BMW, but its better in every other aspect with a price tag that seals the deal.

right now, i wouldnt want anything different....and even if size wasnt an issue, i wouldnt have turned to the infiniti...the acura has the best looks out of the entire segment w/o any weird-added angles, shapes, lights etc...classic good looks to boot.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Racer

I like my RDX that I got in December, 2006, but I would never get a sub 20 MPG SUV if I were shopping now. Beyond the poor mileage, all SUVs have taken a big hit in resale value. Fortunately, I chose to lease, so I have an easy out next year and can look for something that isn't so thirsty.

Beyond the MPG, it is a great car and I like it a lot. The turbo/transmission lag is annoying at times, but it has been a good experience overall. It is a great bad weather car with the AWD and SH.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

justaques, what are the best quotes you've gotten? With the market being so down, I wonder what dealers are offering nowadays and if they're willing to go much below invoice.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by creativeguy
I like my RDX that I got in December, 2006, but I would never get a sub 20 MPG SUV if I were shopping now. Beyond the poor mileage, all SUVs have taken a big hit in resale value. Fortunately, I chose to lease, so I have an easy out next year and can look for something that isn't so thirsty.

Lucky you... I plunked 46K (cdn) cash down, and now I'm stuck with it. I regret not leasing the thing. I tried to trade it in on a tsx, but they gave me less than 50% trade allowance. I can't take that kind of hit.

To the OP - I've had a lot of cars, but I can honestly say the RDX is one of the weirdest, in a good and bad way. The mileage is not especially good, and the turbo really is a negative in driveability compared to the great V6 in the X3 or the Rav4. The suspension is far too choppy for my liking as well. Maintenance costs seem very high compared to other dealer-maintained cars I've owned.

However, the interior is terrific, I haven't had any reliability issues, the AWD system is very impressive, and the handling is pretty good, for an SUV.

I'd choose the X3 if I had the money, or if I didn't, the RDX or Rav4 v6. It all depends on your priorities. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

If you compare the fit and finish of the X3 next to any other BMW it is terrible. If you pull the cupholder the entire plastic piece comes off in your hands. The ride makes the RDX seem like a Towncar and the rear seats don't even fold flat. They don't even have nice map pockets behind the front seats like the RDX does... just cheap netting. The center headrest is a sold piece of plastic that doesn't even adjust. BMW cut a lot of corners on the X3 and it really shows. Not to mention their crappy navigation. I don't understand why anybody would ever buy one.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

Four months and I am still looking forward to my 20 mile daily commute through suburbia. Usually that feeling wears off by now.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justaques
Anybody regret their RDX purchase and wish they had gotten something different?
My only regret was NOT getting the Tech Pkg.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 AM
big shot.

if ur looking for a gas sipper....dont expect it from the Acura, or any other premium brand as well...MPG is not the name of the game from any of these trucks, you will find similar if not worse MPG from the premium suvs....the new volvo coming out is lower than the acura, with less performance, the infiniti etc....

that being said....acura does one hell of a job getting the mpg is does with its shawd system...its much more aggressive than any system out there and quite frankly im ok if not pleased with seeing an avg of 17-18mpg from it.

as for performance that is "good for an suv"...while ur at the dealer drive the TL or a TSX then drive the RDX....i think you will be quite suprised by what the RDX offers in comparison to their sports-sedans, or in comparison to other comparable ($$) sports-sedans..the confidence the RDX has on the road is impressive in regards to any vehicle type...short of the porsche suv it doesnt get much better than the RDX in terms of being a drivers car for the suv body type.

And, even tho that RAV4 has a V6...the comparison will end after straight line acceleration...other than offering pure power off the start, ITS NO RDX, its handling capability isnt even close. And you may be shocked by the sticker of a comparably equipped RavV6...i was like WHAT! The limited V6 price is just i dunno....im not paying that for a toyota, let alone a RAV4. its no bargain when u want the nice stuff the acura already has. But like another poster said...if ur priorities are somewhere else or more concerned with practical mpg, more capable towing etc....then maybe the RDX isnt for you....dont turn into one of these guys complaining about the gas & stiff ride....im guessing if ur looking at the RDX there is a reason

good luck
Old 10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

The gas mileage is a huge let down on this car. I drive a Carrera S 6 mos. of the year and it gets better mileage with it being driven fairly hard and the RDX being driven very mildly. I bought the RDX for my wife as her daily/winter vehicle. It is very fun to drive but my wife came out of an Odyssey which had far more utility.

The ELS stereo in the RDX is awesome. The navigation works very well however we don't have much need for it. We bought the Tech Pkg mainly for the upgrade stereo.

If you need AWD and don't mind poor mileage on premium fuel and appreciate nice tight handling then this car is for you. If your looking for something with space to haul a good amount of luggage and be economical then you might look elsewhere.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Most of the post here are spot.......I love the great AWD SH its what won me over.

I wasnt seriously concerned about MPG at the time of purchase again you need to find what bests fits you.

I also think it if one of the best looking rides in its segment.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by dio
Most of the post here are spot.......I love the great AWD SH its what won me over.

I wasnt seriously concerned about MPG at the time of purchase again you need to find what bests fits you.

I also think it is one of the best looking rides in its segment.
I couldn't agree more! My daily commute is less than 3 miles so gas mileage is not a concern. I LOVE the SH-AWD. And, I LOVE the looks of the RDX. Thank God it doesn't have the grill of the '09 TSX or MDX.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
cheap german cars, such as X3 and 325, suck balls. expensive to maintain and poor reliability. Overall, you getting less for your buck. thats just my 5cent
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I couldn't agree more! My daily commute is less than 3 miles so gas mileage is not a concern. I LOVE the SH-AWD. And, I LOVE the looks of the RDX. Thank God it doesn't have the grill of the '09 TSX or MDX.
Yeah no doubt that the front grill on the new Acura's have not been embrassed.....but they have time I guess before the new RDX to make that change.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 AM
big shot.

The saving grace for the RDX design is that the open-mouthed grille serves a purpose (ram-air effect), its forcing air over the turbo....if that gets blocked up, prob wouldnt be as effective....the RDX hood is for lack of better words A LOT LESS HOT than the CX-7...the mazda has a traditional grille and air has a very hard time getting in, as well as coming out/venting. The Mazda would heat my garage. The RDX is close to normal, whether or not that is all attributed to the hood design, who knows, but its def a factor for the design of the RDX and one i hope they leave alone because they have to. lol
Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

No regrets at all. This is my 3rd acura and it is as trouble free as the others. Gas mileage does improve after the first 5000 miles. I'm now averaging about low 20's in mixed driving vs 24-26 in my 04 TSX. For the extra room, power and items that come with the tech package it is definitely worth it!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Instructor

My biggest complaints are:

1. It is deafeningly loud at speed, to the point it is difficult to have a conversation front seat to rear seat.
2. The fuel mileage sucks and it burns premium - a double whammy.

It is to the point that I think I will dump it in 2009, I just can't stand the noise any longer.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by Patronus
My biggest complaints are:

1. It is deafeningly loud at speed, to the point it is difficult to have a conversation front seat to rear seat.
2. The fuel mileage sucks and it burns premium - a double whammy.

It is to the point that I think I will dump it in 2009, I just can't stand the noise any longer.
The RDX may not be the quietest ride (it's a sport CUV after all) but I don't think it's that bad. Curious, what were your previous rides B4 the RDX? What would you get instead of the RDX? I'm very pleased with mine so far.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 AM
7th Gear

Smile

I bought a 2009 RDX with Tech package and I love it! The only issues I had were:
- Some decoloration on the rims (looked like drops of a lighter shade on the rims). But this was taken care by the dealer.
- I hear some rattle coming from the left back side door (on the first service I'll be asking the dealer to look into it).
- I hear some wind noise while driving at more than 45MPH (anyone experiencing this? any solution?).

Other than that, it is an amazing CUV. I did a lot of research between Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Ford, etc and the RDX was the one I loved the most (exterior and interior)!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Instructor

As someone who's gone through about 5 cars over the past 3 years, I can say I'm very happy with my RDX and this is a car I'll actually keep for well over a year. That's tough for me. haha

I DO wish it came with a manual transmission...that's where the X3 wins out, but otherwise, it's such a great car...lousy gas mileage and all
Old 11-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Racer

RDX handles like a dream, but the 4 cylinder turbo combo was a mistake by Honda, POOR fuel economy.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

A 2.5 litre V6 would have been better but you can't fit one into a CR-V platform.

Originally Posted by skyfox23
RDX handles like a dream, but the 4 cylinder turbo combo was a mistake by Honda, POOR fuel economy.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
big shot.

id say my only regret was not getting the teck package

when alot of us (buyers of the 07's, even begining of the 08's) bought the RDX...the discounts werent even close to what is being offered now. When i first shopped the RDX, 500 off the sticker was just about as far as anyone could get...but now, forget it...tek all the way

i bought my RDX at invoice for the base model & added all the accessories i wanted like the front spoiler, rear diff, running boards, leather shift knob, all weather mats, basically everything...if i could do it all over again, id skip that stuff, get the tek, and add them after the fact.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
IDontRideFastIJustFlyLow

Just bought an RDX 07 w/tech pkg. EXCELLENT. Now i need to get the accesories one at a time.