2011 drivetrain issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 drivetrain issues

Hi all. New to the site . . .

I wanted to get your opinions on something and see if anyone else has had any related problems with their RDX.

I drive a 2011 Acura RDX 2WD. Bought it certified preowned in 2013 after a lease was turned in with 24k miles.

Over the past 4 months I've had two relatively major repairs to the drivetrain (front drive axles were bent and had to be replaced, and right-front and left-rear wheel bearings were screaming over the last 2 weeks and had to be replaced). All of this was covered by the manufacturer warranty.

A friend of mine thinks it's possible that the vehicle is over-powered and puts too much strain on parts which were originally intended for Honda, non-turbo vehicles, and the added torque possibly causes things to wear out more quickly. Does this make any sense?

Anyway, was just curious if anyone else had seen similar issues. Thanks!

Chris
Old 03-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by leftcoastwood
(posted this in the wrong forum previously)

Hi all. New to the site . . .

I wanted to get your opinions on something and see if anyone else has had any related problems with their RDX.

I drive a 2011 Acura RDX 2WD. Bought it certified preowned in 2013 after a lease was turned in with 24k miles.

Over the past 4 months I've had two relatively major repairs to the drivetrain (front drive axles were bent and had to be replaced, and right-front and left-rear wheel bearings were screaming over the last 2 weeks and had to be replaced). All of this was covered by the manufacturer warranty.

A friend of mine thinks it's possible that the vehicle is over-powered and puts too much strain on parts which were originally intended for Honda, non-turbo vehicles, and the added torque possibly causes things to wear out more quickly. Does this make any sense?

Anyway, was just curious if anyone else had seen similar issues. Thanks!

Chris
Actually there is a thread on here with a few people having issues with their fwd rdx and the front axle wearing. I personally feel that the rdx was always intended to be awd, but they made it fwd to try and be more fuel efficient for people conscious of mpgs.

You would need to compare fwd axle part numbers with awd front axle part numbers, with crv part numbers. If they add up, then your friend has a point. But I should mention that awd rdx's don't have this issue at all, so I don't think it is cheap honda parts.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a 2011 FWD as well, no issues that I know of yet. But you are scaring me that they could crop up. Just went out to the CPO warranty, so hope I don't need to address this issue. The car is parked for a while anyway for the airbag recall. Was there something like a noise or vibration that alerted you to this issue? PS - now driving a 2016 Infiniti QX70. It is fine, comparable to the RDX as far as features, and supposedly faster to 60 from a RWD vehicle. Haven't had open road yet to test it out. Big ass hood too.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Yes I have.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Pro

OP, Are you out there? OH well.

I did a search for info on FWD axle failure.

It came up with some info that may just help you...

I see complaints about this forum being less than it can be.

First time posters that ask questions and never come back to see an answer.

And if they do get help they don't thank the helpful poster.

People who start with the search function can often help themselves. The info is out there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...s-fail-937530/
Old 03-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by DRR98
OP, Are you out there? OH well.

I did a search for info on FWD axle failure.

It came up with some info that may just help you...

I see complaints about this forum being less than it can be.

First time posters that ask questions and never come back to see an answer.

And if they do get help they don't thank the helpful poster.

People who start with the search function can often help themselves. The info is out there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...s-fail-937530/
It frustrates the hell out of me when someone asks a question on a forum, gets answers, and never says a simple thank you or shows a sign of gratitude. We aren't paid to reply, we reply because its a nice thing to do. At least reply back and show that you bothered to look at the response.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:18 AM
6th Gear

I also have a 2011 RDX with the same issues.. I have replaced the axles twice in the past 8months. The local dealers dont have the part and gave me a 4-6 month ETA... The other forum mention Raxles but I dont know anything about them. The truck is sitting in my drive way with 75K miles
Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Does HealToe have a fix for these weak axles? They come to mind because they sell a beefed up axle for the 1st gen TSX (also failure prone).
Old 09-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Pro

Little by little we see the FWD axle problem show up here. So far so good on our latest set (napa) after about 15k mi.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

little bit of an old thread but i am having major wobble in the frontend, there is no play in the wheels at all so bearings are good and quiet.

i replaced the passenger axle as it seems the wobble was from right side when driving, and replaced the engine torque mount, lower dogbone looking mount, and still have issues. should i replace the drivers side axle as well?

i took it to the shop the other day and they could not figure it out, at firestone.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Lemor Johnston
I also have a 2011 RDX with the same issues.. I have replaced the axles twice in the past 8months. The local dealers dont have the part and gave me a 4-6 month ETA... The other forum mention Raxles but I dont know anything about them. The truck is sitting in my drive way with 75K miles
After a month of waiting the dealer fix the car with one new Axle and one rebuilt axle... the drive quality is back to normal. Let's see how long....
Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

good to hear Lemor, by the way Raxles make high performance aftermarket axles for cars but last time i checked they do not have axles for the RDX
Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Lemor Johnston
After a month of waiting the dealer fix the car with one new Axle and one rebuilt axle... the drive quality is back to normal. Let's see how long....
This is after a complaint to coorperate, they fixed it under warranty and absorbed the remaining balance of the cost.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Caddy
good to hear Lemor, by the way Raxles make high performance aftermarket axles for cars but last time i checked they do not have axles for the RDX
I did call them as well and they informed me they can't find the oem cores in order to reproduce them
Old 12-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
little bit of an old thread but i am having major wobble in the frontend, there is no play in the wheels at all so bearings are good and quiet.

i replaced the passenger axle as it seems the wobble was from right side when driving, and replaced the engine torque mount, lower dogbone looking mount, and still have issues. should i replace the drivers side axle as well?

i took it to the shop the other day and they could not figure it out, at firestone.
Were you getting this wobble at all speeds or only under certain conditions?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Were you getting this wobble at all speeds or only under certain conditions?
the wobble i am talking about feels like a badly warped rotor on hard breaking, that is the feeling you get when.....

you accelerate from a red light or stop sign, any stop, the harder you accelerate the more wobble/thump you get

once at cruising speed and barely in the gas at say 60mph you cant really feel it too much

if you are rolling any speed and let off the gas you can't really feel it

so it only does this under load/torque.

it's not pulling to one side, the brakes and rotors are fine and straight, there inst much noise at all, but it thumps/wobbles under load.

already replaced the pass axle and engine mount, just ordered the driver axle, i really hope that is it, very stressful. car has 128k miles on it. 2010 FWD
Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 AM
6th Gear

the wobble i am talking about feels like a badly warped rotor on hard breaking, that is the feeling you get when.....

you accelerate from a red light or stop sign, any stop, the harder you accelerate the more wobble/thump you get

once at cruising speed and barely in the gas at say 60mph you cant really feel it too much

if you are rolling any speed and let off the gas you can't really feel it

so it only does this under load/torque.

it's not pulling to one side, the brakes and rotors are fine and straight, there inst much noise at all, but it thumps/wobbles under
already replaced the pass axle and engine mount, just ordered the driver axle, i really hope that is it, very stressful. car has 128k miles on it. 2010 FWD

I got the wobble and a hop at all speeds, however it got worse when the turbo came on. It would wobble so much that the passenger seat would shake and make noise
Old 12-30-2016, 12:47 PM
Pro

Lemore and Caddy- are you FWD?

My posts about our FWD axle problems explain how I made (fought, yelp shamed...) my way through this problem. First replaced d/s axle at 68K. Failed again at 98K.

Ended up with the dealer giving us lifetime coverage on parts and labor.

They used Napa axles. We have put about 16K since the last set was installed and no problems yet.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

yes i am FWD, 2010 with 128k on it.

my dealer here sucks, bad, and i will not go there. they screwed me on the ac cluth tsb and i wont deal with them, they got yelped shamed then some.

already replaced the passenger axle with a napa unit, and the engine mount, just ordered the driver side axle from napa, should be installed next week.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Pro

You got 128K out of your first axles? Very good! Hope you new ones hold up well.

I'm sure it's no consolation that you about doubled the joint life on your first set vs our first set.

Hers some clues for future people with this problem-
The early symptoms I felt were strongest when you first drove the car in the cold morning while accelerating. After everything was warmed up it was quiet.
It was very subtle in the beginning. Then it progressively got worse. You could feel a thump in the floorboard and the steering wheel.