2010 RDX Transmission Fluid Change/Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 RDX Transmission Fluid Change/Flush

My wife went into service her 2010 RDX, and part of the service was for a transmission fluid change. My wife asked for a change, but the service guy said that due to a dipstick they cannot just change the fluid, but must do a flush and replace of the fluid for the automatic transmission. Is this truly the case or was it just an upsell, as it cost about $80 for the flush than the change, but they were saying a change would not be effective because it can't be done properly.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The best way is a 3x drain and fill.

I did mine last summer, and drove 100 miles between each drain/refill.

I don't understand what they mean by not being able to change the fluid due to the dipstick. The RDX transmission has a drain and fill plug (that said, I filled via the dipstick hole because it's much easier to get to).

Now, with an auto transmission, you'll never get all the old fluid out unless you flush the system. IIRC, Acura does not recommend a pressurized flush for the RDX (lots of people are against pressurized flushes for any auto trans). That's why a 3x drian/fill regiment is best (gets all the old fluid out).

Here's more info (and DIY instructions);

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...n-fill-794451/
Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 AM
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a pure upsell.

Every Honda/Acura service bulletin repeats one of the following statements below. There's no ambiguity in these statements except to service managers whose KPI is measured in $/month in revenue.

Transmission Flushing — If a vehicle is properly maintained, there is absolutely no benefit to flushing the transmission as a maintenance procedure. Use of additives, solvents, cleansers, or conditioners as part of a flush, or as a system enhancer, are not recommended or warranted by Honda, as they may adversely affect transmission durability, performance, and shift quality.
NOTE: American Honda defines flushing the transmission as draining and filling the transmission with a drive cycle three times to help make sure the deteriorated fluid is removed. There are other aftermarket flush systems available, but American Honda does not recommend using them.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Those two quotes contradict each other. One says it has no benefit, the other defines how to flush it.

Drain and fill once a year, diy costs ~ $40
Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DRR98
Those two quotes contradict each other. One says it has no benefit, the other defines how to flush it.

Drain and fill once a year, diy costs ~ $40
I believe the top quote is referring to a pressurized flush.

Iirc, Honda put out a big tsb (for all models) in '06 warning against pressurized flushes.