2010 RDX Axle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 RDX Axle Replacement

Does anyone have the Acura service instructions on replacing the front axles on a 2010 RDX. Both mine need to be replaced
Old 05-31-2018, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey buddy,

Replacing axles is pretty straight forward. Pull the wheel off you're working on, loosin the giant axle nut (its either a 32 mm or 36 mm, I honestly can't remember off the top of my head). From here you can go one of two ways:

(1) take the three lower ball joint bolts off from the bottom, this will allow some flex in the knuckle/strut to get the axle out of the hub. -or-

(2) my preference when doing anything axle related is to take the two bolts out that hold the knuckle to the strut. This allows a lot more movement to get the axle out. Be cautious and take the wheel speed sensor out as well, as doing it this way people forget about it,stretch it,and end up spending money they didn't need to.

The driver axle will pop right out of the transmission, likely with a lil pry bar action. It shouldn't take much, but don't be afraid to put some oomph on it if you don't have a long bar. The passenger front is actually slid on to another shaft that then goes into the tranny. This one you want to separate at the bracket, it's a relatively short shaft.

After that, put things back together making sure the spines are all lined up, You can use the axle as a hammer on itself to pop it into place. Axle nut torque is 242 lb/ft. It's difficult as hell to hit this torque, and I personally place a thick punch into the vanes of the rotor and rest it on the caliper bracket to keep it from simply rotating while you're trying to tighten.

Good luck!
-Shane
The following 2 users liked this post by WellHellWtvr215:
justnspace (05-31-2018), vsop TL-S (06-08-2018)
Old 04-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I'm about to put the 5th set of front axles on my 2010 RDX.

Our of curiosity, does anyone know where I can get the set ring for the half stub female side or does nobody replace them? The part is: 44319-S1K-300 (I think) or 44319-SD4-010

Thanks
J

Last edited by udelslayer; 04-03-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Just curious, I have a 2011 RDX with a hair under 60k miles on it. Approximately what mileage did you all start experiencing the axle problems? What are the symptoms that you know you need to replace them. Did you go with OEM or another brand? Last comment on the 242 lb torque, no way I could hit that without ending up in the hospital with a hernia. Also, I find it funny that the torque is 242. Not 240, not 245, but 242. Man, someone is really specific on the design. I don't have any symptoms, actually the car has been great except for the common issues of the center console leatherette wrinkling, headlight condensation, and the most annoying one of all, the passenger sun visor breaking. Great car.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
Talking out loud here - I wonder why it seems those with axle issues seem to have repeat problems, while others have none. Is it possible there is some other underlying issue that is causing premature wear on the CV joints on some cars? No one should have 5 failed axles, period.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:58 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hues10
Just curious, I have a 2011 RDX with a hair under 60k miles on it. Approximately what mileage did you all start experiencing the axle problems? What are the symptoms that you know you need to replace them. Did you go with OEM or another brand? Last comment on the 242 lb torque, no way I could hit that without ending up in the hospital with a hernia. Also, I find it funny that the torque is 242. Not 240, not 245, but 242. Man, someone is really specific on the design. I don't have any symptoms, actually the car has been great except for the common issues of the center console leatherette wrinkling, headlight condensation, and the most annoying one of all, the passenger sun visor breaking. Great car.

im at about 140k right now and I’m experiencing the shakes up front.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:12 PM
CSmoney28

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Post Axle Failures

I'm just curious this is a front wheel drive RDX we are speaking of right?
Old 06-27-2020, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey everyone, I’m experiencing the vibration, especially while accelerating around 55mph. Shop said front driver side CV joints. $307 replace & align.
Car has 135k miles on it.
I am wondering now should i replace the struts while they got it apart?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
At that mileage it wouldn't be a bad idea. The car rides stiff so you may not notice worn struts so much, but you'll definitely take note once new ones are in there. I replaced all 4 corners at just over 150k and it was night and day. The strut mounts in particular were very worn out.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
Hey everyone, I’m experiencing the vibration, especially while accelerating around 55mph. Shop said front driver side CV joints. $307 replace & align.
Car has 135k miles on it.
I am wondering now should i replace the struts while they got it apart?
ok yeah I replaced the struts. And had to replace the sway bar links, as the bolts were so rusted we had to cut them to get them off. Can’t say I notice a difference in ride quality.
but my focus is that stupid vibration. It would start around 45 getting on the highway then subside around 65-70. Now the vibration comes on around 65 and gradually gets worse faster u go. I haven’t extensively tested it out on the highway and in other situations. Any ideas/thoughts?

oh cost to replace both front axles was $515
Old 07-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
ok yeah I replaced the struts. And had to replace the sway bar links, as the bolts were so rusted we had to cut them to get them off. Can’t say I notice a difference in ride quality.
but my focus is that stupid vibration. It would start around 45 getting on the highway then subside around 65-70. Now the vibration comes on around 65 and gradually gets worse faster u go. I haven’t extensively tested it out on the highway and in other situations. Any ideas/thoughts?

oh cost to replace both front axles was $515
It could be tire balance. Some places still use the bubble balance system that is inferior to rotation balance.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaIll1
It could be tire balance. Some places still use the bubble balance system that is inferior to rotation balance.
yeah that was my original hope when I took it in, bad tire balance. But the place said the tires balanced fine. They use a pretty advanced machine to balance tires. It’s like the same thing nascar used to balance their tires. Then they put them on the car and test their balance to see if they balance While on the car. this is honestly the worst set of michelin tires i have ever owned. Got them from belle tire.

My one friend suggested tie rods, ball joints or even the control arm bushings. Could it be the main drive shaft or one of the rear ones?
Old 07-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
yeah that was my original hope when I took it in, bad tire balance. But the place said the tires balanced fine. They use a pretty advanced machine to balance tires. It’s like the same thing nascar used to balance their tires. Then they put them on the car and test their balance to see if they balance While on the car. this is honestly the worst set of michelin tires i have ever owned. Got them from belle tire.

My one friend suggested tie rods, ball joints or even the control arm bushings. Could it be the main drive shaft or one of the rear ones?
and, it could be as simple as shocks. There are so many things that can cause vibrations. I had a rattle that drove me nuts for a while, turned out to be the driver side rear seat back latch.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey everyone,
My 2011 RDX SH-AWD just started making a loud knocking noise when driving. I've never had the driveshafts changed before and it looks like they're the original. My car has 285km on it and I'm also changing my front struts as well. Does anyone know which axles to get? I see some on rockauto without the ABS Ring. Do I need to purchase that separate? Do I need it? I can't find any documentation on it and the Service Manual doesn't say anything about it either.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:55 AM
DCS
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mistryp
Hey everyone,
My 2011 RDX SH-AWD just started making a loud knocking noise when driving. I've never had the driveshafts changed before and it looks like they're the original. My car has 285km on it and I'm also changing my front struts as well. Does anyone know which axles to get? I see some on rockauto without the ABS Ring. Do I need to purchase that separate? Do I need it? I can't find any documentation on it and the Service Manual doesn't say anything about it either.
If you're certain it's one of the axles making the knocking noise then replace with OEM axles from Acura only, new(rebuilt from Acura) or good used one from the salvage yard. There're just too many low-quality axle replacement parts out there that will cause vibration right away or fail too soon and you'll end up doing the job over again. The ABS ring will be included/installed with the axle(s).