2007 RDX B14 service

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 RDX B14 service

hey guys, my 2007 rdx has 105k miles and the b14 service like just popped up. from my understanding this is a big service with adjusting the valves. ive read that its only necessary if they are noisy. has anyone had this service done. did you get the whole service or part of it ? what can actually happen if i dont get the valves adjusted etc. any and all info on this service would be much appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Does your car idle nice and smooth as it used to? If the answer is yes, do not bother with valve adjustment.
also, when your car at the dealer, they will tell you if they hear some noise and recommend adjustment.
I have 152k miles on my RDX and never adjusted valves, car idles and drive smooth.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you thank you for the quick response. yea the car drives fine. no idling issues what so ever. worst case scenario, can the valves be adjusted down the road if need be if the car starts acting up ?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
If your idle is excessively noisy or your gas mileage is worse than you think it should it, you may look into getting a valve adjustment. However, valves can go one of two ways - looser to where you hear noise and tighter to where you don't. Tighter can also lead to increased exhaust temps and in extreme situations, can burn a valve which will mean way more $$$ than a simple adjustment. That said, with all the high-mileage cars on this site I don't think I've seen a single post about someone needing valvetrain work. Some Honda engines need more adjustments than others (I hear the mid 2000's CR-V and Element are notorious), but it seems the RDX tends to stay within spec.

Still, it's probably not a bad idea to get it done at least once between 100-150k - chances are you'll never need to do it again, and it shouldn't be more than $300-400 when done through a reputable Honda mechanic. Have them change the serpent belt while you're at it, since that's also probably near the end of its life by 150k. Dealer will probably ask for a lot more, and even with the I/C to remove it shouldn't take a good tech more than 2 hours (but book time is probably 3-4).