what a shame, used nsx prices - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community



what a shame, used nsx prices

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
what a shame, used nsx prices

I have always liked the generation 1 NSX. I didn't have the coin at the time so around 2003 I bought a used Acura Legend MT and still have it. I take it for a spin here and there.
Every 6-12 months I eyeball Gen 1 NSX prices with search criteria 1997-2005, <60k miles, any distance/color etc.
I found 10 on autotrader today, 8 of them want +100% of the original sticker price. I find the prices somewhat laughable to be honest.
For example there is a 2003 on there with around 49k miles and he is asking $102k. lol!

Anyways, sad to say that I'll never own one because I have always been a fan.
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 61
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 236 Times in 174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
I have always liked the generation 1 NSX. I didn't have the coin at the time so around 2003 I bought a used Acura Legend MT and still have it. I take it for a spin here and there.
Every 6-12 months I eyeball Gen 1 NSX prices with search criteria 1997-2005, <60k miles, any distance/color etc.
I found 10 on autotrader today, 8 of them want +100% of the original sticker price. I find the prices somewhat laughable to be honest.
For example there is a 2003 on there with around 49k miles and he is asking $102k. lol!

Anyways, sad to say that I'll never own one because I have always been a fan.
I'm thinking we're in the same boat; I've checked from time to time and decided, unless I hit the lottery, there ain't no NSX in my future.
horseshoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
You just have to be in the right place at the right time. The mythical $30-40k NSX is still out there. You just have to keep looking. I looked daily for 18 months before I found mine. I paid more than $30-40k, but I found the right car for me.
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neuronbob For This Useful Post:
horseshoez (08-08-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
I'm thinking we're in the same boat; I've checked from time to time and decided, unless I hit the lottery, there ain't no NSX in my future.
The car was 90k new. Even a mint one with <50k miles shouldn't be more than about 50k dollars, which is the most I would ever spend on a used NSX. The only time I saw NSX's at what I would deem proper prices was post crash, so like 2009-2013. As much as I like the cars, they are now +12 years old depending on the model you are looking at and the tech/mechanicals are way outdated.

I will probably end up getting an Audi S4 or S5 2013-2016. They are 4.4-4.9 0-60 and about 13 seconds 1/4 mile on a stock setup. With 2-3k in tunes/supercharger upgrades you will run sub 4s and closer to 11-12?seconds 1/4 mile. They are all wheel drive, safer and get far better gas mileage than the old NSXs. Plus, they are daily drivers even with tunes.

Guess what price? Easily had in the $35k range and I'm not talking a beater with no maintenance performed and high mileage.
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
You just have to be in the right place at the right time. The mythical $30-40k NSX is still out there. You just have to keep looking. I looked daily for 18 months before I found mine. I paid more than $30-40k, but I found the right car for me.
Thanks buddy! I think my limit on one would be $50k and it would have to be very clean, low mileage etc. I can afford more car, but to me they aren't worth more than that price. I don't see the value there especially when I compare them to other sports cars and sedans that are a lot newer.

I'll probably reactivate my alert on autotrader and see what pings back over the next 24 months
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonatbaylor For This Useful Post:
neuronbob (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74,903
Thanked 13,104 Times in 9,705 Posts
Simple economics, my man.
they are not comparable to sport cars like the s4 or s5.
they are moreso toys and or collector items at this point, hence the price point
justnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
they are not comparable to sport cars like the s4 or s5.
you are right, they are slower, get worse gas mileage, aren't as safe and are far older. :P
all kidding aside, I understand what you mean as far as the collector thing goes. I guess they have turned into speculation cars now and I'm not playing that game.

If I spend anything near $100k on a car, its gonna be an Audi R8 and won't be more than $80k. I would have to figure out how to hide it from my wife though. How many time can you drive your "friends" car?
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
Thanks buddy! I think my limit on one would be $50k and it would have to be very clean, low mileage etc. I can afford more car, but to me they aren't worth more than that price. I don't see the value there especially when I compare them to other sports cars and sedans that are a lot newer.

I'll probably reactivate my alert on autotrader and see what pings back over the next 24 months
This is a common argument in the NSX world. There's newer and better for the money, and there is. However, not much of it is collectible yet, which the NSX is.

That said, I'm not a collector. That's why I bought a car with some miles on it. I bought it to drive it. If I bought a low mileage car, I couldn't drive it and would be constantly concerned about resale value for the next guy.

Good luck in your search!
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74,903
Thanked 13,104 Times in 9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
you are right, they are slower, get worse gas mileage, aren't as safe and are far older. :P
all kidding aside, I understand what you mean as far as the collector thing goes. I guess they have turned into speculation cars now and I'm not playing that game.

If I spend anything near $100k on a car, its gonna be an Audi R8 and won't be more than $80k. I would have to figure out how to hide it from my wife though. How many time can you drive your "friends" car?
that's because it's a toy.
justnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 61
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 236 Times in 174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
As much as I like the cars, they are now +12 years old depending on the model you are looking at and the tech/mechanicals are way outdated.
I could care less about the outdated technology or the outdated mechanicals, I'm buying a car for myself and not to keep up with some rich neighbor or relative. If the car is fun to drive, looks good, and is the right price, then I'll gladly fork over the cash. The thing is, there are lots of cars which are old, outdated, finicky, and/or unreliable as hell, but I still want one:
  • Maserati Bora
  • Lamborghini Miura
  • Ferrari Dino
  • Ferrari 328 GTB
  • Jaguar XKSS
  • Jaguar XKE
  • Chevrolet Corvette (2nd Gen)
  • Datsun 240Z
  • Acura NSX (1st Gen)
horseshoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
 
Jakes_tl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lititz, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,801
Thanked 319 Times in 283 Posts
And as time goes on they won't get any cheaper. I always wanted a NSX or 2nd gen Supra but with their prices I don't see owning one ever.
Jakes_tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl View Post
And as time goes on they won't get any cheaper. I always wanted a NSX or 2nd gen Supra but with their prices I don't see owning one ever.
That's true. The current bubble will eventually pop, but it'll take a major event of some kind to return to the days of the perfect low-mileage NSX for $35k. Even I'm sorry I missed the bottom of the market during the recession...but at that time I was all over the S2000. Not sorry I experienced the S2000, though, it's truly an amazing car even with no low-end torque.
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
This is a common argument in the NSX world. There's newer and better for the money, and there is. However, not much of it is collectible yet, which the NSX is.

That said, I'm not a collector. That's why I bought a car with some miles on it. I bought it to drive it. If I bought a low mileage car, I couldn't drive it and would be constantly concerned about resale value for the next guy.

Good luck in your search!
Definitely! Makes sense. I'll keep the alert open and maybe I get luck in a few years :P
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
at that time I was all over the S2000. Not sorry I experienced the S2000, though, it's truly an amazing car even with no low-end torque.
You know its funny you mention that - I was looking at used S2000's a few weeks ago. I was thinking maybe a +2004 model

They seem a bit underpowered though. I'm not sure if they are new enough to have the ECU flashed for performance gains, or if we are talking something more involved to get more HP/Torque.

Anyways, if you don't mind I may ask you some questions about the car since you owned one?
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
You know its funny you mention that - I was looking at used S2000's a few weeks ago. I was thinking maybe a +2004 model

They seem a bit underpowered though. I'm not sure if they are new enough to have the ECU flashed for performance gains, or if we are talking something more involved to get more HP/Torque.

Anyways, if you don't mind I may ask you some questions about the car since you owned one?
Of course! I'm happy to answer questions about the S2000. It's a very unique car that is sooooooo fun to drive.
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
 
wackjum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Age: 35
Posts: 4,189
Thanked 335 Times in 179 Posts
I recently bought an NSX1. I regret not having gotten one back in 2011 when I was shopping for a sports car (ended up getting a Nissan 370Z). At that time, NSX prices were still reasonable. I didn't get it it at that time because when I did the paper comparison, modern cars seemed to have all the advantages.

Then after some time with the Z, I realized I didn't need any of the modern stuff to enjoy a car. What I wanted was good visibility and a mechanical connection to the car, all of which are absent now.

Driving the NSX is unlike anything I have ever experienced on the road. First of all, you are so low to the ground. The closest approximation I have is like when you are driving a go-kart, except this one is street legal. Secondly, the forward visibility is great and is impossible on a modern car because of crash standard requirements. The steering is direct and I know exactly what the car is doing.

If you're used to modern stuff, the power is down. It is not slow by any means, but it won't surprise you with the acceleration if you're used to more modern sports cars. However, you can really wind the car out without hitting the limits of what is possible on public roads. Like the FR-S, there is a lot of fun that is accessible just on your daily drive.

Finally, I am really surprised by how much attention it gets. I brought it to a Porsche meet once and many people there said they had never seen one in person.

There are a few downsides I am now learning that was never made apparent to me prior to ownership. The first is that Honda Motor Co has stopped support. Not really surprising since at this point even the latest model would be 13 years old. Luckily the aftermarket has made a lot of parts, but these tend to be the bigger main parts. A lot of the smaller random parts are discontinued and you'll have to track down workarounds. Even the tires were not easy to get as the trend in performance cars is towards bigger diameters.
wackjum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
^^^^
nsxprime.com
FB NSX Owners group

These groups, as you know, have mucho discontinued item support. A lot of "discontinued" items you can still find in Japan with some help *cough*TheNSXShop*cough*

I agree with you about the NSX's speed. It's plenty fast. 290 hp and 3k pounds scoots this car around pretty quickly. It's not my CTS-V wagon, but I'm satisfied with the performance.
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 31
Posts: 8,687
Thanked 489 Times in 331 Posts
Yea, back in 2011, it was between buying a NSX or buying a house...I went with buying a house..and since then, the NSX's used car market value has gone up by quite a bit. But then, here in Vancouver, the housing prices have gone up even more...lol.

At this point, perhaps we can say the NSX is more of an investment than a purchase. It's unlikely the pricing will go down if you buy one now.

My buddy just picked one up this week for CAD$40k. It's a 1992 model with 200,000km. Back in 2011, this car would probably be like $25-$30k.
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I totally understand. I guess its turned into a speculation market now. I'm not paying anything near new prices for old NSX's, ever. I never let emotion take control when it comes to money.

I am very close to buying a used late model Audi S4 with sports diff. Pretty excited about that.
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
^^^

Congrats on the (potential) S4! On the FB NSX owners' group, there are a couple who've not that long ago scored NSXs in the $30ks. It is still possible...it just takes a longer time now than before.
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #21
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 30,379
Thanked 4,971 Times in 3,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
I totally understand. I guess its turned into a speculation market now. I'm not paying anything near new prices for old NSX's, ever. I never let emotion take control when it comes to money.

I am very close to buying a used late model Audi S4 with sports diff. Pretty excited about that.
sports diff
thoiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
iTrader: (7)
 
thisaznboi88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, CA/ Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,907
Thanked 571 Times in 421 Posts
If the new nsx didn't suck as much. The prices of the old one wouldn't have jumped so fast. I am still waiting for a decent nsx that doesn't cost me and arm or leg.
thisaznboi88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 61
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 236 Times in 174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
If the new nsx didn't suck as much. The prices of the old one wouldn't have jumped so fast. I am still waiting for a decent nsx that doesn't cost me and arm or leg.
Agreed. I understand the whole argument for eliminating the manual transmission to achieve max performance for a hybrid type of vehicle, but what about driving enjoyment? I guess that didn't factor in.

Speaking strictly for myself, I'd much rather have a "slower" NSX with a manual transmission than I would the beastie currently on the market.
horseshoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
iTrader: (7)
 
thisaznboi88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, CA/ Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,907
Thanked 571 Times in 421 Posts
I like feedback when I drive hard from my car. Really don't like the computer controlling everything and taking away the best part of driving.... which is driving it raw
thisaznboi88 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thisaznboi88 For This Useful Post:
EvilVirus (11-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:29 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 18,839
Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,613 Posts
I'm hoping to score a test drive in a new NSX at some point so I can see for myself what the hype is about. I go back and forth about whether to trade up for one. I like the new design, I'm a believer in the Sport Hybrid concept, having leased a RLX Sport Hybrid, and the new car is FAST.

My current NSX is an uncommon color (Kaiser silver, only 148 produced for the USA, 1/48 manual Kaiser targas for the US in 1999) and I've got it perfectly lightly modded for me. I am enjoying the hell out of it. In fact I'm driving it to Road America on Tuesday for NSXPO. Anyway, even though I'm driving it, it's appreciating in value. It's hard to make the argument to sell an appreciating asset for a depreciating one, the new NSX is not even close to fully depreciated yet, and I think that sense will ultimately keep me from buying a new NSX for years to come.

To minimize payments and cash outlay on a new NSX, I'd have to sell my current NSX AND my 6MT CTS-V wagon (which itself is likely getting to the bottom of its depreciation curve before maintaining for a while, then appreciating, due to rarity) and I dunno if I want to do that just for a car that I know is going to depreciate for years.
neuronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Agreed. I understand the whole argument for eliminating the manual transmission to achieve max performance for a hybrid type of vehicle, but what about driving enjoyment? I guess that didn't factor in.
Speaking strictly for myself, I'd much rather have a "slower" NSX with a manual transmission than I would the beastie currently on the market.
I hear ya. I'm buying a manual S4 for driving enjoyment. I think its a bit slower than their automatics - I don't care if it is. I want the feel of it.
jonatbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 30,333
Thanked 1,757 Times in 1,494 Posts
Post pics when you get the S4.....
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #28
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Florida
Age: 49
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Here

I just posted some pics of 1993 NSX.
bill.gagels is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: