AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G NSX (1990-2005) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-nsx-1990-2005-165/)
-   -   NSX J-swap (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-nsx-1990-2005-165/nsx-j-swap-973745/)

Yawwn 10-04-2018 12:13 PM

NSX J-swap

Hello all,
I'm thinking about doing a J-Swap, so I thought I'd join this community to discover more about the J35A3 engine with a J32A2 ECU, as well as the aftermarket throttle body and intake options to gain more HP and torque than the stock 270HP and 210-lb/ft.
I've been perusing NSXPrime (been a member there for a decade and a half), but not much is discussed regarding getting more air into the J-engine, which is supposed to add significantly more power. I'm sure Acurazine will have many more resources regarding adding power to the J-series engine.

Thank you.

justnspace 10-04-2018 12:26 PM

want to throw air at the J? boost it.

that's the only way the J will cram extra air.
N/A mods are negligible...

also, the stock J produced only 258hp. the 270hp number is from an old test

Ken1997TL 10-04-2018 12:59 PM

Maybe start with the J37A2 from the 2009-12 Acura RL or J37A4 from the 2012-14 Acura TL? Those motors have VTEC on the intake AND exhaust valves.

zeta 10-04-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yawwn (Post 16307682)
Hello all,
I'm thinking about doing a J-Swap, so I thought I'd join this community to discover more about the J35A3 engine with a J32A2 ECU, as well as the aftermarket throttle body and intake options to gain more HP and torque than the stock 270HP and 210-lb/ft.

A forum member 2ndgentl swapped a J35A3, with the J32 Type-S cams, into his CLS six speed after burning a hole in one of his pistons on an untuned CT-E S/C'ed J32A2. A list of his bolt-on's is shown below:

J35a3, type-s cams, 4" short ram intake, 76mm blox TB and spacer, 09 TL-SH AWD Intake Manifold, Ridgeline IM spacer, ported runners, LW pulleys, LW flywheel, Comptech headers, 2.5" exhaust with cat and resonator delete, Comptech mufflers

Although the CL is front wheel drive, he claims the car is a torque beast and has a hard time keeping the wheels from spinning. He's got it 'breathing' pretty well with the 09 TL-SH AWD intake manifold, 76mm Blox throttle body and CT-E headers. So there are a few ideas to potentially get your J35 swap opened up.:)

His thread, starting at post #385 on page 10, for the J35A3 swap, has a lot of pictures and discussion should you be interested and have time to look into it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...949436/page10/

Good Luck!

Costco 10-04-2018 03:40 PM

Interesting. I can see the reasons why you would do it, but 8k redline.

Ken1997TL 10-04-2018 04:05 PM

Plus the C-series is basically the best-sounding V6 ever made, especially in the NSX.

Yawwn 10-04-2018 04:59 PM

Thanks for your response justnspace,
I am in CA, so I don't want to boost it. I won't pass emissions.
From what I understand, there is a way to get 340hp with a stock J35 and a stock J32 ECU, but with added parts, such as aftermarket throttle body and intake. A company sells a turnkey solution for those Sand Buggy kinds of vehicles. They confirm there is no modification to the engine nor ECU. I was inquiring if anyone here might know which options there are for those throttle bodies and intakes.

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16307694)

Yawwn 10-04-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16307694)

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL (Post 16307732)
Maybe start with the J37A2 from the 2009-12 Acura RL or J37A4 from the 2012-14 Acura TL? Those motors have VTEC on the intake AND exhaust valves.

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, there are only two engines which will work with the customized engine mounts, wiring harness, and headers to drop fit into the NSX. They are the J35A3 from the 2000-2002 MDX, or the J32A2 from the TL or CL Type-S. The J35 has more "room" for HP improvement over the J32, although the J32 has a higher redline, and is more in spirit with the NSX C30. I wish I could use the J37, and appreciate your suggestion.

Thank you!

Yawwn 10-04-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by zeta (Post 16307787)
A forum member 2ndgentl swapped a J35A3, with the J32 Type-S cams, into his CLS six speed after burning a hole in one of his pistons on an untuned CT-E S/C'ed J32A2. A list of his bolt-on's is shown below:

J35a3, type-s cams, 4" short ram intake, 76mm blox TB and spacer, 09 TL-SH AWD Intake Manifold, Ridgeline IM spacer, ported runners, LW pulleys, LW flywheel, Comptech headers, 2.5" exhaust with cat and resonator delete, Comptech mufflers

Although the CL is front wheel drive, he claims the car is a torque beast and has a hard time keeping the wheels from spinning. He's got it 'breathing' pretty well with the 09 TL-SH AWD intake manifold, 76mm Blox throttle body and CT-E headers. So there are a few ideas to potentially get your J35 swap opened up.:)

His thread, starting at post #385 on page 10, for the J35A3 swap, has a lot of pictures and discussion should you be interested and have time to look into it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...949436/page10/

Good Luck!

Thank you so much zeta, for the link! I will read up on it.

Yawwn 10-04-2018 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 16307877)
Interesting. I can see the reasons why you would do it, but 8k redline.

Hello Costco,
Yes, I know what you mean. I've owned two NSXs over the past almost two decades, and love the engine, but found the C30 to be a little anemic (have a Gemballa modified Porsche 911 Turbo with 530hp) after all these years. I don't want to go FI, and this is the best and least expensive method, in my eyes, for NA power up to 340HP and tons more torque! Since fate has forced my hand, after all these years of yearning to make the HP boost, I want to explore this avenue of modification.
Love your handle, btw. It's one of my favorite places to go to!
Thank you!

Yawwn 10-04-2018 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL (Post 16307906)
Plus the C-series is basically the best-sounding V6 ever made, especially in the NSX.

Hi Ken,
I gotta agree with you there. No doubt. I do have a Pride V2 exhaust, so I hope the J35 would still sound pretty decent. I think the much-improved torque curve will compensate for the sweet sound I'll be missing.
However, I do have to say that if I really miss the sound, I still have two V12 Aston Martins that make the most incredible melodies coming from automobiles!

Thank you,

zeta 10-04-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yawwn (Post 16307934)
Thank you so much zeta, for the link! I will read up on it.

You're welcome and welcome to the forum.

Just an FYI or you may already know this; nonetheless, since you don't mention whether you have a manual or an automatic transmission in your NSX, I presume you have a manual. Moreover, keep in mind that the J35A3 from the '01-02 MDX is configured for the automatic transmission of that SUV. For instance, when the J35A3 or even a J32A2 from an automatic '02-03 CLS / TLS is used to swap into the manual transmission '03 CLS6, there needs to be a 'swap' of some of the 'timing components' from the manual J32A2 engine over to the automatic J35A3 or J32A2 to make these manual transmission compatible with the CLS6 and its ECU/sensors and engine wire harness.

Typically, you need the crankshaft timing belt (TB) drive pulley, its reluctor wheel and stopper plate, the TB crankshaft sensor assembly & sub-harness connector, the front head cam pulley and related front cam sensors. All of which would get transferred to the automatic J35 to make it 'plug and play' to the manual CLS ECU.

Whether a similar action has to be considered with the manual C30, I am not sure. Just something to keep in mind when coming from a manual C30 to a J35 and making it all work.:)

Yawwn 10-04-2018 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by zeta (Post 16307958)
You're welcome and welcome to the forum.

Just an FYI or you may already know this; nonetheless, since you don't mention whether you have a manual or an automatic transmission in your NSX, I presume you have a manual. Moreover, keep in mind that the J35A3 from the '01-02 MDX is configured for the automatic transmission of that SUV. For instance, when the J35A3 or even a J32A2 from an automatic '02-03 CLS / TLS is used to swap into the manual transmission '03 CLS6, there needs to be a 'swap' of some of the 'timing components' from the manual J32A2 engine over to the automatic J35A3 or J32A2 to make these manual transmission compatible with the CLS6 and its ECU/sensors and engine wire harness.

Typically, you need the crankshaft timing belt (TB) drive pulley, its reluctor wheel and stopper plate, the TB crankshaft sensor assembly & sub-harness connector, the front head cam pulley and related front cam sensors. All of which would get transferred to the automatic J35 to make it 'plug and play' to the manual CLS ECU.

Whether a similar action has to be considered with the manual C30, I am not sure. Just something to keep in mind when coming from a manual C30 to a J35 and making it all work.:)

Thanks zeta.
I asked him, and his response was the following:
Yes, he is talking about using a J-series manual trans ECU. We don't use anything from a manual transmission J-series, not even the engine.
In fact the AEM plug-n-play EMS for j-swapped cars only works with J engines from a car with an automatic transmission.
Correct, you want a J-series from an automatic transmission and bolt it up to a manual trans in the swap."

Thank you for your valuable information.

zeta 10-04-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yawwn (Post 16308035)
Thanks zeta.
Correct, you want a J-series from an automatic transmission and bolt it up to a manual trans in the swap."

That's great news and makes it quite a bit easier for you.
Just another FYI, in your pursuit to maximizing power and working your way up to the '...340hp with a stock J35...' You could use just J32A2 Type-S cams or acquire a set of J32A2 heads with cams. They will bolt up to the J35 block with no valve clearance problems. Supposedly, the J32 heads have stronger springs, better lost motion assemblies and 1mm larger intake valves then the J35A3 heads. So every little bit helps.:)

:thumbsup:

Yawwn 10-07-2018 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by zeta (Post 16308059)
That's great news and makes it quite a bit easier for you.
Just another FYI, in your pursuit to maximizing power and working your way up to the '...340hp with a stock J35...' You could use just J32A2 Type-S cams or acquire a set of J32A2 heads with cams. They will bolt up to the J35 block with no valve clearance problems. Supposedly, the J32 heads have stronger springs, better lost motion assemblies and 1mm larger intake valves then the J35A3 heads. So every little bit helps.:)

:thumbsup:

Hi zeta,
Thanks for the advice!
I will make sure to let him know.
The plan now is to use my Cayenne to transport my car to Oregon to have the engine dropped. I'll load my NSX engine on the car transport and drive it back home to CA. He will source a J35 w J32 ECU and then install with his engine mounts, wire harness, and headers, along with some header work (possible three-angle valve job, port and polish, and some other header work). Hopefully, he will be done in a month, and then either I fly one-way and drive it back, or have my friend and I drive up there, and then we will drive both cars back (we've both been looking for an excuse to do a road trip).
I'm looking forward to having my car back before Thanksgiving!
Then, once I have more time after the holidays, I'll explore the capability of adding more air (and thus more HP and torque) to the system via custom or aftermarket throttle bodies and air intakes.

Thank you.

Neumoney 11-20-2020 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Yawwn (Post 16309188)
Hi zeta,
Thanks for the advice!
I will make sure to let him know.
The plan now is to use my Cayenne to transport my car to Oregon to have the engine dropped. I'll load my NSX engine on the car transport and drive it back home to CA. He will source a J35 w J32 ECU and then install with his engine mounts, wire harness, and headers, along with some header work (possible three-angle valve job, port and polish, and some other header work). Hopefully, he will be done in a month, and then either I fly one-way and drive it back, or have my friend and I drive up there, and then we will drive both cars back (we've both been looking for an excuse to do a road trip).
I'm looking forward to having my car back before Thanksgiving!
Then, once I have more time after the holidays, I'll explore the capability of adding more air (and thus more HP and torque) to the system via custom or aftermarket throttle bodies and air intakes.

Thank you.

yaawn,
anymore updates on the build.

I also went j32 with d.dowlings kit . Interested in your build tho

Acura TL Builder 05-24-2021 09:57 PM

Sean of P2R(Power Pev Racng) has a J32 NSX.

Theres a guy with a tuning shop in Seattle who has four NSXs, his wifes is a J swap.

They may have some insight if your planning to go this route.