Hello, a few questions. Does the NSX share its engine with any other Accura's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, a few questions. Does the NSX share its engine with any other Accura's?

I have been a mechanic, and engine builder for over 30 years now, and IF I ever settle on buying a NSX I will have to up the hp.

My usual plan for things like this is to get another engine, and build it at my leisure, then swapping when finished.

I have noticed that the NSX had titanium rods, what is the hp limit to these exotic rods?

My plans would be to build a turbo setup for the engine. One simple way I can see to do this would be to use thick Cometic head gaskets to lower the CR from 10:1 to around 9:1, that is if the rest of the engine is up to task.

Also, you do have to wonder why Accura never added a more powerful engine during the 90's. Heck, even the Cobra Mustangs had over 300hp {I know they were a bit heavier}.

Anyway, why do you choose the Accura over other cars available?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Well the main reason why the NSX was such a good car for the time was because they have feedback from Aryton Senna, one of the best drivers for his time to give feed back on the chassis, not to mention the car was very advanced for its time, and as for building the motor for more power there are lots of after market options for forged rods and pistons if you are looking for the forced induction route.

But the main reason why i think most people like the NSX is because of how it looks, it just screams "I am a sports car, drive me fast."

Look up lovefab, they specialize in building high horsepower, reliable NSX turbo systems, but the pricing is rather high, but they get results, and as for why Honda never added a more powerful version was because frankly Honda tends to stick to one formula until they come up with something better, but you have to realize this as well the NSX was mainly built around having an agile medium powered car, the horsepower wars started after the NSX production stopped so that may be a reason why it doesn't have high horsepower figures.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Nsx n g2 legends n g1 rl had very similar engines, the Nsx being the best of them with c30b or c32b dohc vs the sohc of the c32a n c35a, people have built c32a n 35a upward of 500+ horsepower once turbo so I'm sure the 32b once tweaked can make upward of 700+
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
7th Gear

Very, very good answers, and explanations, thanks.

In this dark economy the only way to be able to buy an NSX is to sell one of my 65 Mustang/Shelby Hertz, but its soo hard to sell anything right now that I will probably be waiting for a while.

It is good to know there is other vehicles that share parts. I could always keep the factory block, and build another, stronger engine just using the factory NSX heads.

From what I have been reading over the years is that the laundry list of parts do achieve 600 fwhp is of course, forged lower cr pistons, forged rods, forged crank {I still haven't found out if this family of engines has a forged crank from the factory or not, but I my Mustang has around 570 hp on the factory cast crank, so I really depends on how well the factory crank is as to changing it or not.}.

Then moving on is stronger clutch, stronger axles, and I don't know about the factory rear end.

There are also several considerations on these latter parts, and one of them is intended usage.

Drag racing with huge sticky tires would be one of the worst environments for drivetrain parts, which isn't in my plans, so I might be able to keep the factory rear end.

In most of the street scrapes I have been in for over the thirty years, or so of hot rodding have been rolling starts from around 40 mph on. So I build my cars with that in mind.

Also, I like my cars to do well in every category such as braking, cornering, acceleration, and reasonable comfort.

I plan to build my own turbo setup as its really not that hard. He is a project that I'm almost finished with. It a daily driver Mazda B2200 with a Ford 363 twin turbo setup making just over 800hp.

And of course, the Shelby Hertz tribute....
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Hold it. Stop.

The C series engines in the Legends/RLs and the NSX are NOT related.

They are 90 degree V6 motors. That's about where the similarities stop.

Virtually NONE of the NSX parts and the Legend parts will swap.

As for WHY the NSX never went beyond 300 hp, it was a "Gentleman's Agreement" among the Japanese manufacturers to not exceed that number. However the NSX and others regularly did so. I've seen dynos of the NSX Type R (when corrected) of putting out an estimated 330 hp at the crank. Not bad for a naturally aspirated 3.2 liter V6.

Obviously that agreement didn't last.

Last edited by Ken1997TL; 02-25-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Ken I never heard that before about the gentleman agreement.

Are there any engines that will interchange?

The reason I ask is that most car manufacturers will take an existing engine, and modify it to make more hp.

For example the DOHC 4.6l Ford Mustang Cobra engines were the same as the 4.6l in the same year Lincoln's, with just a bit different cams, and intake.

The 00 Cobra R, 5.4 DOHC engine was based off the Lincoln Navigator 5.4l. The Cobra engine did have better heads, and a one off intake, but if you wanted to keep your one of 300 Cobra R engine, you could find a Navigator engine, and change the heads, and intake over from the Cobra, and it would run fine {as long as you also upgraded the pistons, and rods.}
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No other engine but the c series class b will fit the Nsx, I only mentioned the other cars becouse they have similar but not the same motors but they are the closest to it but wnt work
Old 02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
7th Gear

What are the differences between the C series, class B engine vs the NSX?

Does it share the same block, crank, oil pan, engine mount locations, etc............thanks, and sorry for all of the noob questions, but I really haven't been able to find much about this info.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The 'C series' blocks look similar, but the oil passages, bore and stroke are all different in the NSX. The heads are vastly different and DOHC vs. SOHC. The other 'C-series' engines never had VTEC.

Engine mounts are totally different since the Legend/RL were mounted longitudinally (yet were FWD) and the NSX was transverse.

They were all hand assembled and unique to the NSX.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
7th Gear

Wow, that is something that all of the NSX engines are all NSX specific.

Even the Supra engines can be found in the Soloria {I think}. I give them credit for that, but it sure makes getting a good build-able core hard though.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
2000 Acura TL

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
I favor the Shelby over the NSX.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by closetprisoner
I favor the Shelby over the NSX.

I might just have to stick with it.

One, its emissions exempt.
Two, easy to work on.
Three, parts are easy to find.
Four, kinda exclusive like the NSX
Five, easy to make lots of power.
Six, with the huge aftermarket support, I have a great suspension that makes it handle equal to new cars.

So I'm still on the fence.

IF, they had made the NSX with all forged internals in the engine as well as 9:1 CR then I would jump on the NSX no problem, but with an expensive rebuild of the engine just to get it ready for boost, then ...............................