View Poll Results: Is the NSX an exotic?
YES
81.45%
NO
13.21%
Not sure
5.35%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Do you consider the NSX an "exotic?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think it's an Exotic car. 2nd I do not own one I'd love too.

As for exotic where I live in Naples, FL I've seen pretty much anything you can think of. Rolls Royce, tons of Bentley's saw an orange creme colored man that was ugly, Ferrari's a few red one's, Aston Martin, Maserati, also an Audi R8, and I saw at my Porche dealership a few years ago a Bugatti man that was smokin'.

I've only seen maybe 6-7 NSX's in the 10 years I have been here. There is a local body shop and the owner owns a black NSX man that is just smoking.

So because of how rare and sleak it looks I'd consider it an exotic.
Mischa.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:08 PM
PHX
7th Gear

Voted. I say its an exotic car. As said earlier, definitely ahead of its time...
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

I say Exotic, but I'ts not as exotic as a Ferrari or a Lambo, but it still turns heads!!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
exotic yes, considering you RARELY seem them

i see one everyday though but still haha
Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 PM
6th Gear

New they were $90k so it gets my vote.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I think that price or rarity aren't proper ways of gauging whether or not a car is an exotic.

For example, cars like the S65 AMG and even the SL65 are f'ing expensive. Are they exotic? I'd say no.

A Chevrolet Chevette is probably as rare as the NSX. Is that exotic? Hell no.

An exotic car needs to fulfill every one of the following qualities (IMO). If it has some, but not all, it's not an exotic, or it's a semi-exotic.

Price: NSX just barely fills this requirement. Sure it's expensive, but Ferraris and Lamborghinis are worlds more expensive, and IMO for good reason.

Rarity: I don't think there's any doubt the NSX fills this one quite nicely.

Performance: Sure, the NSX can handle very well, but it's just making up for its horespower deficiency. In 1991, I think the NSX had 270 horsepower, or something similar. This was barely enough to keep it competitive with true exotics. But a 20 horsepower bump in 15 years? When this car went out of production in 05, there's no doubt it was sorely lacking in the power department.

You may bring up the fact that the NSX's handling balance was the target of Gordon Murray when developing the McLaren F1, arguable the best supercar of all time, period. This is what made the NSX very competitive when it was first released in '91, but wasn't enough to make up for the power deficiency.

Looks: IMO fills this completely, I love the way the NSX looks, especially the later ones

Prescence: IMO the NSX is on the fence on this one. Stock, it has the looks to draw eyes, but it doesn't draw ears the way exotics do. Whether you're a car enthusiast or not, a Ferrari rev-matching while coming up to a light will perk your ears up, and you start looking for one immediately. The NSX might sound nice, but it isn't as loud as it should be IMO

Practicality: This is a very controversial aspect of the exotic. I don't think there's any doubt that NSXs can be driven every day. Ask any owner, or journalist who's driven one. It's civilized. Does that take away from its appeal?

It depends on who you ask. Many people couldn't give two shits on how practical an exotic is. They don't care about a nice audio system, a quiet cruise, winter drivability, or whatever you look for in a daily driver. These people buy Exiges, Scuderias and Superleggerras, and GT3 RSs. I think part of the fact that a car is uncivilized makes it more special when you drive it.

Then there are people who DO care about this stuff that isn't relevant to going fast around a corner. These people buy 911 Turbos, Aston Martins, R8s, and to an extent, NSXs. I've read many reviews that compliment the NSX as saying it feels just like an Accord in regular driving. That's great to some, but to others it detracts from the experience. People seem to be split on this, so we'll call it a draw.

Marque: An exotic should come from a long line of exotics, so that when you tell someone at a dinner party the make of your car, they immediately know you have something special. This goes for Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, to an extent. However Porsche, Audi, and Honda don't quite have this marque recognition.

If a car fills ALL of these criteria, it is an exotic. If there are some debatables, then I think it could be considered a semi-exotic.

Price: Yes (barely)
Rarity: YES
Performance: '91 YES, '05 NO
Looks: YES
Prescence: Draw
Practicality: Draw
Marque: NO

IMO, the '91 NSX, and the NSX Type-R are true exotics. Past the facelift, the NSX is only a semi-exotic, primarily because of competition. But al that's needed to bump up the later base NSXs to exotic are a good supercharger and exhaust.

That being said, I have tons of respect for all NSXs. Whether or not it's an exotic shouldn't matter to any owner.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
But al that's needed to bump up the later base NSXs to exotic are a good supercharger and exhaust.
You hear that Synth???

LOL....
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
TOF
5th Gear

Yes

Of course the NSX is an exotic...or at least a classic exotic, in the same way a Ferrari 348TS is an exotic, or a 91 Porsche 911 Carrera4 are classic exotics.

Lets look at the definition of the word exotic as defined on dictionary.com:

ex·ot·ic [ig-zot-ik]
–adjective
1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.

The NSX was built in Japan. Every one was hand built in the Takanezawa R&D Plant which was constructed specifically for the NSX. S2000 and 1g Insight production was later added to the Takanezawa plant's duties. In order to secure a coveted position on the NSX production line a Honda employee had to have a minimum of ten years experience with an outstanding performance record at Honda.

2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.
While the merits of the NSX's styling are a matter of subjective personal taste there is no arguing that the overall look of the car, with styling inspired by the American F15 fighter, is strikingly unusual.

3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.
The NSX has this definition covered in spades. It was the first production vehicle to feature an all-aluminum monocoque body.It also boasted a revolutionary extruded aluminum alloy frame and suspension. This was also the first automobile sold in North America with VTEC. The forged steel crank, forged aluminum pistons, titanium connecting rods, and cutting edge steel alloy valves allowed Honda to deliver a V-6 that set a new production engine record for horsepower per liter of displacement. And the 8,000 RPM redline in a v6 was the very definition of exotic in 1991. Even the name stands for New Sportscar eXperimental.

4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.
OK...maybe the NSX doesn't meet this particular definition, although I happen to think the body is pretty exotic.

Want more evidence? Consider these items:

- The NSX performance target was the Ferrari 328/348.
- Some consider the NSX underpowered by exotic car standards. But the original developed 270 HP, compared to 247 for a 1991 Porsche Carrera 4, and 296 for the heavier Ferrari 348TS. It was also faster to 60, 100, and 130 mph than either of the Europeans and could give either a fit on a technical track.
- The NSX was good enough to remain in production with minor changes for fifteen years.
- The NSX continued to be used as the works Honda car in the GT500 class, even though it is no longer in production, until it was replaced in 2010 with the HSV-010.
- No less an authority than McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray once offered this in an interview: "The moment I drove the NSX, all the benchmark cars—Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini—I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target."
- Murray remained an NSX owner for 7 years.
- During NSX development, the platform's handling was refined by three time F1 world champion Ayrton Senna and three time CART champion Bobby Rahal.

There are only three arguments against the exotic label that come to mind:
1. Exotics were supposed to be horribly expensive. But the NSX sold for about $58,000 while the Porsche and Ferrari mentioned earlier would lighten one's wallet to the tune of $77,000 and $101,000 respectively.
2. Exotics were supposed to be quirky and demanding of their drivers. Just ask anyone who ran out of road and talent in an early 90s 911. Yet the NSX was ergonomically outstanding, and featured handling that let reasonably good drivers safely explore the car's limits.
3. Finally, an exotic was assumed to be somewhat lacking in reliability and as expensive to keep up as an Italian mistress. But unlike those and other exotics of the day the NSX was reasonably inexpensive to maintain and as reliable as the rising and setting sun.

So call it a better-than-exotic or, to borrow a phrase from from another company known for inovation, an exotic for the rest of us.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
slow tl..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
A Fiat Multipla fills all the requirements of "exotic" on dictionary.com, so I don't think that's a valid source when it comes to cars.

Porsche Carrera isn't really an exotic car, just a high-end sports car. my 2 cents on that.

IIRC the NSX went through minimal changes over 15 years simply because Honda did nothing about it. This isn't meant to take away from the newer NSXs, but they did fall behind significantly on the performance front, even when compared to a regular 911.

Honda only used it in racing simply because they had nothing better, even five years later.