vavle cover change

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vavle cover change

Hey all,

I made a big mistake not too long ago:
a friend of mine told me that he would paint my vavle cover for no charge since he knew how to do them and that he enjoyed fiddling with cars.

I thought, hey, why not, it's free and he know how to do it and he's good at it.

We get high temp red paint for the vavle cover and high temp aluminum pain for the heat shield.

The result is shit: the paint job is crappy, uneven and drip stains all over the vavle cover. It seriously looks like a 5 year old did the job, maybe worse actually.

And for the heat shield, the paint is peeling, spray is very uneven and actually very ugly.

I'm thinking I can't take the paint off the vavle cover... should I buy a new one? How much and where?

The heat shield is not really a problem since it's peeling bad, so I could sand it and repaint it myself this time, and better.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,022 Posts
The heat shield you could sand down, or just take it off completely all it does is cover over your headers. The valve cover, I would sand down and use some paint thinner to strip off and repaint it yourself. There's a diy in the diy/faq section that shows how to paint it, stripping would just be sanding and maybe some thinner.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend wanted to repaint the valve cover on his integra from red to blue and we had a hell of hard time trying to sand off (w/ an electric sander too) the 5 month old high temperature paint...but after spending 30 mins on one section after trying paint thinner and sand paper combined, we found something that did the trick with little effort.

go to your local autostore or walmart and pick up "mar-hyde brand Tal-Strip Paint Remover-Extra Strength" (black front, white back, spray paint can with white top) and spray a healthy dose of that all over the cover off the engine .watch your hands, shit burns like a mofo. let it sit for about 10 mintues. We were able to wipe, not even scrub, off almost all the paint with a light brush of a rag.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Salemgh
Hey all,

I made a big mistake not too long ago:
a friend of mine told me that he would paint my vavle cover for no charge since he knew how to do them and that he enjoyed fiddling with cars.

I thought, hey, why not, it's free and he know how to do it and he's good at it.

We get high temp red paint for the vavle cover and high temp aluminum pain for the heat shield.

The result is shit: the paint job is crappy, uneven and drip stains all over the vavle cover. It seriously looks like a 5 year old did the job, maybe worse actually.

And for the heat shield, the paint is peeling, spray is very uneven and actually very ugly.

I'm thinking I can't take the paint off the vavle cover... should I buy a new one? How much and where?

The heat shield is not really a problem since it's peeling bad, so I could sand it and repaint it myself this time, and better.

Thanks guys.
hey im fuckin sick with spray paint ill do a camo job for ya. lol
Old 03-27-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
ya your buddy can't paint for shit. how close was he to the valve cover when he was painting it?

either way, paint strip that shit and re-do it