Turbo Project update

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Project update

So about this 2.2 turbo project I've been bullshitting about on here for awhile now.... here's a little update on how things are going. I work out of town so the only time I have to work on this is the weekends. I started the install last weekend and began tackling all the problems that come along with installing a custom pieced together turbo kit in a naturally aspirated car.

First problem was with location of the bung on the oil pan. Where I initially drilled was in the way of the wastegate dumptube, so I took it to a welder and got a bung welded on a different spot. I then found out that my return line wouldn't quite fit where the new bung was welded. Back to the welder......

Next problem:
After mounting up the manifold and the turbo as you can see in the next picture, I attempted to install the downpipe. To my dismay, the fucker wouldn't quite fit past the oil pan enough to get all the bolts screwed into the turbo. Back to the welder again....

So now I'm very close to having the main components installed but there is still a ton of work to do on the fuel system, engine monitoring, and engine management. I'm gonna give it my all this weekend and try to get the thing driveable. I bought a bunch of electronic monitoring and tuning equipment so I've been spending a bunch of time learning how it all works. The main problem is I move cities to go back to University on Sept. 1. This means that if I don't have the car driveable by then, I'll have to go to school with no car and the project most likely won't get done until christmas break. I'm gonna need a miracle or something...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Man, I figured you'd have problems, custom jobs like that always are, at least it's coming along. Hopefully you can get it finished b4 school, but that's fast approaching. Hope you get her at least driveable, I know you'd love to hear that sucker spool up
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Pro

Ya, I knew I would have some problems but the downpipe not fitting was something I didn't expect.
Getting it to an exhaust shop to put in the 3" exhaust is gonna be a pain in the ass too so I might have to run open downpipe for a little while. It'll be really loud if that's the case.
I'm gonna be a little bit choked if I don't have the car ready for school. I already signed a thing paying $65/month for underground parking.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro

Well this thread didn't generate much interest, but I figure I'll give a little update as to what happened anyway.
After some hard work and running around during the few days I had, I did manage to get the thing up and running. Here's a few more pics:

The idle was fine with the 450cc injectors and the fuel/timing map that I started with. But when I took it for a little spin, my wideband O2 display started reading really lean (20+ AFR) as soon as I got on the gas at all. I also got a CEL after driving for about 30 seconds. This got me pretty worried about blowing the engine even though I didn't even get the pressure into boost before getting off the gas.
I tried hooking up my friend's laptop for a little datalogging and tuning on my last day in town, but I couldn't get the datalogging to work so I was pretty much shit out of luck.
Long story short, the car will be sitting in the garage while I'm gone for 3rd year university. I need to pick up a cheap laptop so I can tune it properly. It probably won't get done until May but most of the hard work is done already so it'll be something to look forward to once the school year is done.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
wow thats some awesome workto be done on your own. Too bad you couldnt get it running absolute before you left. I'd be too anxious to get it running n probably wouldnt have left till i fixed the problem lol. Good luck! keep us posted if u can get it running, i'd love to see some vids
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

n the stuff under the glove compartment is ECU stuff?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

U got it running!? I've been following your project since you first mentioned you wanted to do it. Sucks your car has to sit while you're at school, but congrats that's awesome you got it all 2gether
Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Pro

Haha, I definately wanted to stay and get it driveable but it couldn't be done. I had to pack up a U-Haul and move into a new appartment. I also was trying to tune it on my friend's laptop with a bunch of software I downloaded but he took off to university a day before I did. It's never just one problem to fix either, there's still several things that need to be finished.
The stuff under the glove box is the P28 ECU and conversion harness to go from OBD2 to OBD1. There is also wiring coming from the LC-1 wideband O2 sensor.
Here's another pic I posted in a previous thread:
Old 09-09-2007, 11:48 PM
HEET Miser

i give props even for roughing out such a tight configuration diy style, let alone getting it all bolted down. thing that keeps popping out at me, i'd be worried about iats with the cone so close to the furnace and confined; possible heatshield fab?
oh, i've been interested since jump, as well just quietly
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
U got it running!? I've been following your project since you first mentioned you wanted to do it. Sucks your car has to sit while you're at school, but congrats that's awesome you got it all 2gether
Thanks man, it's nice to hear there's someone that's been interested from the start. I got it running, but man it's a bit of a stretch to even say that at this point. I can't even drive the damn thing down to the exhaust shop to finish up the exhaust without some serious tuning.
Originally Posted by duluoz
i give props even for roughing out such a tight configuration diy style, let alone getting it all bolted down. thing that keeps popping out at me, i'd be worried about iats with the cone so close to the furnace and confined; possible heatshield fab?
oh, i've been interested since jump, as well just quietly
I can't take too much credit for all the fabrication that went into fitting the turbo and manifold in the way it does. I bought most of it from an accord guy that had it fabbed up. The intercooler, hotside piping, and downpipe/dumptube have all taken me awhile to fit in though. As for a heat shield, I was actually thinking that I might just run an intake pipe off the turbo to outside the engine bay or something down the road.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 AM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

great job bro. im glad to see that all ur hard work is payin off. it loks like its really commi n together real nice keep us posted on ur work. sucks that u have to wait till the school year is over tho but gives u something to look forward to
Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Racer

nice work, i kinda wish i had a 2.2 so i could do that.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
jdm is my anti-dub

Mad props man I have a 2.3 cl and I'm gonna turbo it out soon same setup accord turbokit but def looking nice man as son as I get my project rolling I will post up some pics
Old 09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

wow u are an inspiration..

oh and are u running a hondata s300?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Id def also paint the intercooler for that sleeper look
Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
wow u are an inspiration..

oh and are u running a hondata s300?
No, I'm not running Hondata. I think it's overpriced and I'd rather give my support to the PGMFI.org guys that are really taking Honda ECU knowledge to the next level.
I plan on tuning it temporarily with Crome but I really want to get with ECtune when it is finally released. From what I've read, it's going to blow all the others out of the water when it comes to ECU tuning.
Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
Id def also paint the intercooler for that sleeper look
I kinda like the look of the front mount the way it is. I mean it's a 97 2.2 CL, most people don't even know what it is let alone what to expect from it. The red coupler in that picture isn't there anymore, so it looks a little cleaner now.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM
my1STcar..praise GOD!

i wanna see dyno charts... when the project is done man.. nice!! job. looks mean..!! with the fmic..

G22 or f22/Low boost? hmm. which one? both.. haha
Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by Blenz
No, I'm not running Hondata. I think it's overpriced and I'd rather give my support to the PGMFI.org guys that are really taking Honda ECU knowledge to the next level.
I plan on tuning it temporarily with Crome but I really want to get with ECtune when it is finally released. From what I've read, it's going to blow all the others out of the water when it comes to ECU tuning.
wat problem did u have with ur data logging? and how easy is it do urself?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
good shit man. your a top dog now.

you ever think of running a H23 intake manifold??
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
wat problem did u have with ur data logging? and how easy is it do urself?
Well I couldn't get the datalogging cable to pass the sanity check in Freelog version 1.0.87. I think my problem was related to setting up the ports on the laptop properly. Once I get my own laptop I will actually buy the Crome Pro licence and datalog using crome. Or if ECtune comes out in time I will buy the licence and use that.
How easy is it to do myself? I can't really answer that because I simply haven't done enough yet. I'm still a pretty huge noob when it comes to tuning and I'm hoping I won't blow up my engine in the learning process. I wish there were more tuners in my area willing to help me out but there's not. Buying the hardware and learning myself is pretty much my only option.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

ahhh ok. yeah that red coupler was throwing it off somewhat.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Racer

wass up guys, that's a really nice set up I can't wait till income tax season rolls around so I can finally throw my turbo in the sohc beast.I am really intrigued to see the dyno charts and see what your boost is. By the way guys if any1 is interested I found a place that will do a custom cam for 2.3.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Well I couldn't get the datalogging cable to pass the sanity check in Freelog version 1.0.87. I think my problem was related to setting up the ports on the laptop properly. Once I get my own laptop I will actually buy the Crome Pro licence and datalog using crome. Or if ECtune comes out in time I will buy the licence and use that.
How easy is it to do myself? I can't really answer that because I simply haven't done enough yet. I'm still a pretty huge noob when it comes to tuning and I'm hoping I won't blow up my engine in the learning process. I wish there were more tuners in my area willing to help me out but there's not. Buying the hardware and learning myself is pretty much my only option.
ok so when u goto a 'chrome authorized dealer/installer' they have the license.. makes sense.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

im surprised you kept your power steering, if would have gave you a little more clearence according to the pictures.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 972xghost
im surprised you kept your power steering, if would have gave you a little more clearence according to the pictures.
Driving without power steering sucks man. When I ran the hotside piping through the hole that the power steering cooler goes through, I had to drain out all the fluid. Driving around for a day or two without it was enough to make me appreciate it.
As for the H23, it's just not worth it on the F22b1 head from everything I've read. The ports don't match up very well and there's no room to make the b1 head ports much bigger. Once I get this thing running good, I'll just turn up the boost if I want more power.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

ahh no power steering aint that bad, ive gotten used to it.

are you planning on running an H22/3 head at any point in time.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 972xghost
ahh no power steering aint that bad, ive gotten used to it.

are you planning on running an H22/3 head at any point in time.
Probably not. The set-up I have now will pretty much take the stock bottom end of the f22 to it's limits if I turn the boost up high enough. Sure a better flowing head would get it there a bit quicker, but I don't think it'd be worth all the work. I'd have to buy a new turbo manifold to fit the different exhaust ports and that would probably mean a bunch of other modifications too.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Probably not. The set-up I have now will pretty much take the stock bottom end of the f22 to it's limits if I turn the boost up high enough. Sure a better flowing head would get it there a bit quicker, but I don't think it'd be worth all the work. I'd have to buy a new turbo manifold to fit the different exhaust ports and that would probably mean a bunch of other modifications too.
shit u can say that again..
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Racer

I cant wait till you dyno that car....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by USMC2.3CL
I cant wait till you dyno that car....
me too man, I don't even really care that much about the peak numbers. I just want to tune the spark timing properly and get it running smooth.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
99CLSlvrBullet

that sh*% is sick!!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
98 3.0CL

That intercooler looks AWESOME
Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
that just looks mean, nice work
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by subbuzz
that just looks mean, nice work
Man I want my CL to look like that
Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro

Thanks for the props guys. If it wasn't for this site I'd probably forget I own the thing at all right now with how busy I am.
I like the way the front looks now but I'll admit it was a bit of a hack job to get that intercooler in there. It all happened during a night of boozing using a little saw that looked something like this one:

The picture is in the early morning right as we finished and you can see we still had beers going Got the job done though and I got no complaints with how it turned out
Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 PM
HEET Miser

^dremel ftw; c'mon blenz, it's the 21st century
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Drifting

although im not a fan of turbos, thats a one awesome CL you got....get ir done and keep us posted
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Mad props
Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Dicorp
although im not a fan of turbos, thats a one awesome CL you got....get ir done and keep us posted
wth is wrong with turbos
Old 09-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
wth is wrong with turbos
long run reliability, maintance costs. I do love high rpm honda engines though

Quick Reply: Turbo Project update