Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine CL Community > First Generation CL Discussion (1997-1999)
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP! Dash and head lights flicker when turn signal is on

Notices

PLEASE HELP! Dash and head lights flicker when turn signal is on

 
Old 02-18-2005, 12:38 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
phlux77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 40
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP! Dash and head lights flicker when turn signal is on

I have a 98 CL 3.0 and I have had this problem for a year now. When I got the car a year ago I notice that when I use my turn signal, all my dash lights and headlights blink and surge as if there was a short. Now I need to fix it because it is getting worse. I looked at this site about 6 months ago and someone had the same problem but I forgot what they said it was. It is NOT the alternator or battery because they are new and have been tested. Someone please let me know what this problem is so I can get it repaired ASAP. Thanks!

Other than this, I have had no problems at all and really enjoy my CL.
phlux77 is offline  
Old 02-19-2005, 01:44 PM
  #2  
Peace, Love & Acura
 
ajtcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: OK
Age: 48
Posts: 3,285
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondas and Acuras use what is called a "multi-combo switch." This switch controls your turn signal indicators, headlights and dash lights. when this switch fails, any number of problems can occure. from headlights and signals lamps that fail to turn on, to what you are experiencing. I would suggest that you have this replaced. It is a tricky bit of work, and I would not suggest you try doing it yourself. The procedure for replacing this switch requires the removal of the steering wheel, and airbag mechanism. This can be potentially dangerouse to a novice. Your dealer or a good repair shop that specializes in Acura/Honda should be located and I would imagine the work should not take longer than an hour or two. Good luck.

You can expect the switch to be at least $100 used and maybe $250 new. Not including labor for installation.

Peace, Love and Acura...
ajtcl is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 08:18 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Connecticut
Age: 46
Posts: 1,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It started happening after I put in my indiglo guages./ It could just be from where I tapped into though.
melo72 is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 09:54 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
wilp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TAMPA
Age: 41
Posts: 4,317
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melo72
Mine does the same thing. It started happening after I put in my indiglo guages./ It could just be from where I tapped into though.
as long as its one of the two red wires u tapped in to itll be aiit. thats where i tapped in to mine at. and idont have a problem until i pump up my rockfordfosgate punch. and i have a cap and red top.
wilp99 is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 02:55 PM
  #5  
CL Fanatic
 
98CLMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atlanta
Age: 31
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the problem but when I wrecked mine they put a new switch in..go get T-Boned..or just buy the new switch.
98CLMike is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
phlux77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 40
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help. I think I'm gonna get the switch rather than a T-bone. hahaha. I'll let you guys know what I come up with after I replace it.
phlux77 is offline  
Old 02-24-2005, 09:27 AM
  #7  
fuh-Q
 
1998CL3.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 577
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mines been doing this for prolly 2 yrs now, i took it to 2 diff acura dealers when i was still under warranty and i figured it was something somewhat expensive and time consuming,
because they always told me they couldnt reproduce the problem. therefore they couldnt fix it if they didnt know what the problem was. but it doesnt do it all the time and it hasn't gotten worse due to not being fixed, so its not that big a deal.
good luck and post the final cost when completed
1998CL3.0 is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 AM
  #8  
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)
iTrader: (6)
 
97BlackAckCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ShitsBurgh
Age: 37
Posts: 88,894
Received 3,061 Likes on 2,162 Posts
Originally Posted by phlux77
Thanks for your help. I think I'm gonna get the switch rather than a T-bone. hahaha. I'll let you guys know what I come up with after I replace it.
MMMMMMMMMMM TBone...
97BlackAckCL is offline  
Old 02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 31
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a problem with my MPH and the odo on my car.. they both dont work!!!!! my 97 cl has 125,000 miles on it but i dont know how long ago it broke, i just bought the car a few days ago.... but the engine runs ok, i was thinking of changeing it out with some aftermarket parts but not sure if theres any.... any help would be helpful
viet97cl3.0 is offline  
Old 11-11-2016, 11:24 AM
  #10  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Age: 38
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajtcl View Post
Hondas and Acuras use what is called a "multi-combo switch." This switch controls your turn signal indicators, headlights and dash lights. when this switch fails, any number of problems can occure. from headlights and signals lamps that fail to turn on, to what you are experiencing. I would suggest that you have this replaced. It is a tricky bit of work, and I would not suggest you try doing it yourself. The procedure for replacing this switch requires the removal of the steering wheel, and airbag mechanism. This can be potentially dangerouse to a novice. Your dealer or a good repair shop that specializes in Acura/Honda should be located and I would imagine the work should not take longer than an hour or two. Good luck.

You can expect the switch to be at least $100 used and maybe $250 new. Not including labor for installation.

Peace, Love and Acura...
check the price and be careful
In my home town the switch is $50.00 at orileys. Be sure to disconnect the negative and positive battery cables and let the car set of at least 30 minutes before working near the air bag.
David Linneman is offline  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:21 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Devore ca
Age: 39
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is doing the same thing. For some reason it only does it in the morning
Itr909 is offline  
Old 11-01-2018, 01:07 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
rl015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 39
Posts: 539
Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Considering there are more RLs available on LKQonline.com I would definitely trust 100k old part that is OEM original from 2006 to 2008 RL than to after-market brands...
rl015 is offline  
Old 11-01-2018, 01:16 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,923
Received 5,837 Likes on 4,680 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015 View Post
Considering there are more RLs available on LKQonline.com I would definitely trust 100k old part that is OEM original from 2006 to 2008 RL than to after-market brands...
Thanks for the bump
thoiboi is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mada51589
3G TL Problems & Fixes
65
05-10-2019 02:17 PM
Ny1718
Car Parts for Sale
14
09-11-2015 09:21 AM
JnC
Car Parts for Sale
3
09-11-2015 06:06 AM
theinsvnity
2G TL Problems & Fixes
2
09-10-2015 10:22 PM
ptbarnett
Third Generation RLX (2013+)
4
08-30-2015 12:39 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Dash and head lights flicker when turn signal is on


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.