My Brake Master Cylinder or Brake Booster is dying

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Brake Master Cylinder or Brake Booster is dying

well i never really thought this would happen, but my Brake Master Cylinder or Brake booster is most likely shot. it all started when i was on my lunchbreak and i went to wendys, i totally overshot the drive thru window because i wasnt expecting my brake pedal to go straight to the floor(felt like i was using my clutch lol) so i kept playing around with the brake pedal while waiting on line and it was very inconsistent. sometimes i would get feedback from the pedal then sometimes it would go down to the floor. so i immediatly though it was either my BMC, Brake Booster, or my brake lines. when i got back to work and finished eating of course, i brought my car to the mechanic i work with that usually helps me work on my car to check my lines and they were straight, so we came to the conclusion that it was the BMC or BB. i got an estimate from a local junkyard and they said they could rebuild me one for $81, then i went to the parts dept. at work and i can get a BMC from them for $96. so im gonna go with an OEM Honda piece. So me and the mechanic are gonna start working on it on Monday. and my rear right brake assembly is burning hot, compared to the other 3 sides, so im kinda assuming it could be my Caliper, becuase my rotors and pads are brand new, and the rotor is kinda scored, theres a possibility that the piston isnt closing right. im really pissed cuz now i cant adjust my valve timing and i have to do this instead. o well i could always do that sometime later in the week.

sorry if this long thread hurts your head
Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice sometimes when I'm sitting at a stop light, all of a sudden the brake will umm... "depressurize" like all of a sudden it'll go down further. I always wondered what that means. I have a feeling it's not a serious problem, but it kind of goes with this thread.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread hijack (sorry)
Old 05-06-2006, 11:33 PM
4x4- fat chicks cant jump

In my dads jeep I can feel the brake pedal "depressurize" when it downshifts. I dont think youre doing much shifting sitting at a stoplight though
Old 05-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 5-speed
In my dads jeep I can feel the brake pedal "depressurize" when it downshifts. I dont think youre doing much shifting sitting at a stoplight though
I guess it's possible, it's an automatic. The engine sometimes auto revs itself when I've got the AC/heat on. So maybe it downshifts when it does that.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the Master Cylinder. If it were the booster, you would feel like you were trying to push down an elephant. The booster failed in my Civic. And I could barely push the pedal. If the Cylinder fails, the pedal will drop to the floor. If the booster fails, you will hear a loud hissing, and you won't be able to push the pedal hardly at all. You can stop with a bad booster, but you gotta push real hard. As for the Master Cylinder... If that goes, you better use the ebrake.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks ajt for the input. i think its most likely the cylinder as well. im gonna buy the OEM replacement from my dealership today for $96 even, compared to $156. for a second there i didnt think anyone liked to talk about anything technical on AZ anymore.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

there are a lot of BS threads. But that is the nature of the beast.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

so me and my mechanic friend at Honda, installed my new OEM brake master cylinder from a 97 Accord EX. i picked it up for $96 compared to $156(gotta love employee discounts). installation was probaly the easiet part, but bleeding hte BMC, the ABS, and all 4 tires took some time. but for those of you who havent bled there brakes in along time, i suggest you do it. cuz my brake fluid was like pure oil, it was thick and almost black. its recommended you do it every 30,000, so i should be good for a while.

my new brake projects will be fixing my e-brake cabels and the slider pins in my rear right caliper
Old 05-14-2006, 09:17 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by 972xghost
so me and my mechanic friend at Honda, installed my new OEM brake master cylinder from a 97 Accord EX. i picked it up for $96 compared to $156(gotta love employee discounts). installation was probaly the easiet part, but bleeding hte BMC, the ABS, and all 4 tires took some time. but for those of you who havent bled there brakes in along time, i suggest you do it. cuz my brake fluid was like pure oil, it was thick and almost black. its recommended you do it every 30,000, so i should be good for a while.

my new brake projects will be fixing my e-brake cabels and the slider pins in my rear right caliper
congrats... glad you were able to fix that. Brake problems are always teh suck, cause' if that shit goes out when you least expect it... well, I guess