Ignition switch recall

Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignition switch recall

My 1998 2.3 CL has been stalling occasionally with the key light blinking. I saw that there was a recall (02V120000), though I don't know if the previous owner had the service done. I have a few questions because I've never had recall service done before:

1. Is there a time/mileage limit if it wasn't performed already?

2. If the previous owner had it done and the problem came back, will they replace it again? And would there be a charge?

3. If not, is there a service bulletin or DIY you guys could point me to to do it myself?

I plan to call them tomorrow afternoon, but I thought I'd get some info here first in case they try to give me a hard time about it.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Called a nearby dealership, and asked if they could look up whether or not any recall service had ever been performed. Instead of looking for records, he searched the VIN and said there are no open recalls.

I mentioned that the service bulletin says that my VIN falls under the ignition switch recall service. He then asked what it was doing, said it could be related to the immobilizer, and told me a technician would have to look at it. I think he said $85 plus tax, but he spoke super fast and their phone had a lot of static.

Service bulletin: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2V120-3481.PDF

The end of my VIN is between WL000001 and WL011003

There is one more Acura dealer within 90 minutes of me that I could call. Is there anything I should say to convince them that my car is eligible? Or am I completely wrong? I could tackle this myself by following the TSB, but I'd like to have the dealer do it if it's a security recall that should be free.

Last edited by pstomps; 03-28-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Update: Checked the engine bay VIN, and there is a dot above the Y indicating that the recall service has been done.

I guess now I need to follow the TSB and try to do it myself unless I can convince a dealership to do it a second time. Anybody have a factory service manual PDF?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:52 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the complete Acura manual for 1997, what exactly are you looking for?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WisconsinMicko
I have the complete Acura manual for 1997, what exactly are you looking for?
The first two steps of the TSB refer to the service manual. While it's probably straightforward, I like to make sure I look at the manual before going at stuff, just to be safe.

1. Remove the dashboard lower cover and the knee bolster (see page 20-46 of the 1997-99 2.3CL Service Manual).

2. Remove the steering column covers (see page 17-19 of the service manual)

I've actually already removed the lower cover once while running a power cable up the pillar, but I haven't removed the column covers, which is probably just a few screws.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car has been stalling. I had the ignition switch replaced. It's still stalling.

I guess the relay is the next thing I try.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Advanced

UPDATE:

I bought the part way back in march but avoided doing this because the problem was so intermittent. I was getting problems once every month or two and just didn't want to mess with it.

A few days ago I barely made it home from because the car was shutting off so often, so I decided it was time. I pretty much used this video (
) to guide me to the right part, combined with the TSB I posted to make sure I was doing it right. The steering column covers are just held on by 5 screws underneath and kind of clip together into one piece (top and bottom). Once that was off, I looked at the TSB to find the bolts that I needed to remove to lower the steering column. There was another metal frame piece in the way blocking it from going down very far, so I found two screws on the left side and moved it out of the way enough to work on the steering wheel area.

Following that video, this was probably the easiest repair I've done in a long time. Moved a few wires out of the way and went at the ignition switch bolts. The two shear (twist off) bolts they use to hold the ignition switch in place are easily removed using a chisel/punch tool at an angle. I bought the smallest chisel I could find in the punch tool section of my local hardware store. The bolts are designed not to be torqued too much, so it doesn't take a ton of force to get them moving with the chisel. Once they were out, it was a quick part swap and reassemble. I didn't twist the tops off my bolts because I'm afraid that I'll need to remove them again if the problem isn't resolved. The only thing that went wrong in the process is now my steering wheel stereo buttons are acting up. I previously wired them with a universal control module for my aftermarket stereo, so I think unplugging some stuff while working on the ignition switch caused it to get reset. Since it's tucked way behind my stereo, I can't get to it to make it re-"learn" my car. Whoops!

Since the problem didn't happen very often, I won't know if this was a permanent fix until I go about 4 months with no shut offs. Just wanted to give an update and say how easy the ignition switch replacement is. Also note: my part didn't come with a new wire harness attached, so I reused the original. That made the job a lot faster, but I'm hoping the harness wasn't the problem in the first place. The TSB doesn't say to replace it, though.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM
1999 Acura CL 2.3

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i went thru this issue this year..
it was the ignition switch causing all my hell..but before figuring that out there was also a possibility it was the fuel pump etc etc etc

the recall had to do with some lil metal thing inside the ignition..like 3bucks or something (i forget)...i got a oem iginition switch on ebay new cheap as hell (i forgot cause its been awhile but i know it was less than 50bucks..)
i didint have to replace the harness and all of that just simply the switch.the only lil tid bit i found out what there was break away screws in there that i didnt have on hand and got after the fact..which reminds me they still need to be installed

good luck (im no mechanic but have been buying parts online for a few years now so its all been by trial and error)

Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Just wanted to update and say that this WAS the problem. I haven't had this issue at all in the past 20 months since I replaced it. The part number was 35130-SY8-305 (part number for 1997 Accord from the TSB).
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,405 Likes on 3,017 Posts
Thanks for updating