Key fob trunk button not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:37 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a '99 5-speed.

I have tried holding the button down, it does not work. Battery in remote is good. The LED illuminates when I press it. If I hold the button down, the alarm control board under the passenger seat makes clicking sounds repeatedly and the car makes a chiming sound. But the trunk will not open. The valet trunk lock by the manual lever is unlocked, and the manual trunk release lever works perfectly fine.

I have tried reprogramming the remote and then pressing the trunk button both before removing the key to Save programming, and after removing the key. Lock and Unlock functions work perfectly.

At a loss here, any ideas?

One other thing; after holding the key fob trunk button, while the car chimes and the alarm ECU clicks, the light inside of the glove compartment flashes. Is there some sort of valet switch? I have searched to no avail..

To add to this I have just discovered that the headlights and taillights flash as well.. car is just completely spazzing out when I try to open the trunk with the remote..
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Sounds like some kind of a short
Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Sounds like some kind of a short
Probably. I greased the latch mechanism, did nothing except make the manual lever a little smoother. I'm trying to reset the alarm, and if that doesn't work then I'm going to see if I can find a alarm control board at the pick n pull.

Are there any known issues with eBay alarm fobs? Mine is not OEM, but the FCC is correct and it works fine for loving and unlocking the doors. Although I can not get the lock chirp to turn on, holding Trunk and then holding Lock does not activate the chirp. The LED on the remote doesn't turn on when both buttons are pushed.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM
9th Gear

Ok guys, big update.

In an attempt to locate the security siren, I decided to hold down the panic button, and lo and behold, the trunk freaking popped open. So the entire problem with all the lights and shit flashing when I try to open the trunk with the fob, is that actually activating the alarm! So does anyone know what in the world could cause the trunk and panic button functions on the key fob to switch? Is there a relay installed backwards or something??

On top of all of this, I still cannot get the alarm chirp to activate by now holding down the panic button and lock button together. And I still cannot find the siren to see if it is even still installed.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM
9th Gear

Another update.

The siren was not connected. I plugged it back in, but the key fob buttons for Trunk and Panic are still giving reversed signals. I can activate the Panic feature by holding Trunk, and pop the trunk by holding Panic, but I still cannot activate the lock/unlock chirp by holding down the Trunk or Panic buttons in unison with Lock.

Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM
9th Gear

I got the chirp working. Removed passenger seat and inspected alarm ECU, it was in very good condition. By unplugging it and plugging it back in, I was able to get the chirp to activate by holding Panic and Lock. The functions of the Trunk and Panic buttons are still reversed on my eBay remote for some reason, even though it is the correct FCC ID.

I have tried reprogramming the remote and it still does the same thing. Is there a way I can wipe the memory of the fob to try programming it from blank?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No idea bud. My key fob just plain works when it wants to, lol.