Helix spacer & Thermoblok spacer install order?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix spacer & Thermoblok spacer install order?

ok, so I have the thermoblok spacers and the helix throttle body spacer (V2 if your wondering.

I was going to install them today, but time got taken away because I needed longer bolts since I was installing both, so had to get those, then when I got the bolts, there was a hose on the bottom of the throttle body that was too short and wouldn't allow enough room to install bth, so i ended up just installing the Helix spacer today and will install the rest tommorow once I get a longer hose to replace that.

ANYWAYS... as I was driving to work after installing the one spacer, I started thinking about the installation order of both. The helix spacer was designed to be placed directly against the upper intake manifold, so you would think "ok, so put the thermoblok spacer in between teh stock spacer and the helix spacer." but if you look closely at the helix spacer, the hole on the side that faces the intake manifold is slightly smaller than the one facing the throttle body.

In addition to this, the size of the hole in the thermoblok spacer is the same size as the smaller side of the hole on the helix spacer.

so here's my predicament and options:
1.) put the thermoblok spacer between the throttle body and helix spacer. This means that the smaller hole of the thermoblok spacer might obstruct the larger side of the helix spacer and cancel out some/all of any gains seen by the helix spacer.

2.)put the thermoblok spacer between the helix spacer and the intake manifold. This means that the slight displacement might casue the "swirling effect" of the helix spacer to be displaced, and again possibly nullify ann/all gains of the helix spacer.

any ideas?

btw. don't say "who cares. you only get a few hp out of the helix anyways, and you won't notice" because after driving with just the helix on today I noticed considerably more torque under partial throttle (less than 50%) low RPM (less than 4500) conditions. No I'm not imagining it. I drive this car daily on teh same roads I drove today, and I know exactly how much throttle is needed to maintain speed on teh highway (thanks to readouts by VAFC2), and under the same amounts of throttle that normally just makes me maintain my speed on the highway I was accelerating.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Miss th 3.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant wait to get my spacers, sorry i cant help, try V6P
Old 02-04-2006, 03:24 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Take pics, then i can see what you are talking about. I'm a visual person....you can a million things to me, and I won't remember/learn shit unless it's shown/demonstrated to me.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
This is why I haven't installed mine yet, haven't gotten the balls to rip my tb and im apart. Did you already do the IM thermoblok? I am interested to see which way these go as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

I just got the helix one installed yesterday as I need a longer hose for one of the lines, but plan on doing the both the thermoblok ones on sunday. It's seriously easy as hell. Just unscrew a bunch of stock, use a flat plade type thing to scrape off the gaskets then reinstall, and torque to correct specs. Only reason I didn't get it all done was because I needed t go out and get longer bolts and I was trying to use a damn putty knife to scrape off the gasket at first .
Old 02-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Miss th 3.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what website did you buy the helix from?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Safety Car

I actually got it used from a member on v6p.net, along with sone pullies.