Cyl 3 Misfire & multiple misfire codes; have pic of plug; culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyl 3 Misfire & multiple misfire codes; have pic of plug; culprit?

Hi,
Yesterday I had a blinking Check Engine Light, although the car seems to run fine. Didn't want to chance it and took it in this morning for a code read. OBII indicated P1399 - which is "multiple misfire" and P0303 which is cylinder #3 misfire. Did some research and came up with a list that it could be anything from spark plugs, wire, distributor, coil, injectors and worse of all, leaking cylinder #3 valve/gasket. The latter is a possibility since at 212K, the car does burn about a quart or so every 1000 miles. But I have never seen any visible smoke out the back.

I did easiest/obvious first and pulled all four plugs (which I had replaced just 3 months ago). After cleaning them, it was obvious that the plug from Cylinder #3 is more discolored with more of a yellow burn along with what I think is carbon buildup. See pic for four plugs (Plug from Cylinder 3 is 3rd from left).

I decided to put #3 in #1 spot to see if I get a code and if so, would it be on Cylinder #1 (hoping it was just a bad plug). After resetting the car by pulling battery cable, I took it for another drive. Check engine light came on again within a couple of minutes and started blinking soon after. Took it back to Advance Auto and got the same code. Driving back I noticed at least the Check Engine Light didn't blink.

Advance Auto felt I could just replace the wires first and if that didn't do that look into getting the new distributor which has the coil that controls all four cylinders built in. That part was less than a 100 bucks so seemed like a good deal. I need to drive this car tomorrow for 170 miles. The guy at Autozone felt the worse that could happen is bad mileage. After looking at the plugs, does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be and what to do? Little worried the plug indicates oil getting into the 3rd cylinder, which would be a costly repair right? Is it okay in the mean time to drive this car without causing more damage? I will have more time to work on it mid December when school is out. To be honest, I just need this car to get me through the next 1.5 years
Attached Thumbnails Cyl 3 Misfire & multiple misfire codes; have pic of plug; culprit?-2012-11-27-acura-sparkplugs-07-lr.jpg  

Last edited by panzer948; 11-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.