Cleaning the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the engine compartment

are their any reasons you would want to clean the engine other than for aesthetic reasons -- is it worth the time to try and get out all the small pebbles from the radiator coils in the front? -- also where can I get the thick grease the the dealer uses for the doors and sunroof -- i have some lawnmower grease but it seems more watery or thin? Im interested in comments or things people have done to prolong the life and integrity of the car - maintenace wise
Old 02-18-2001, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I belive there are a number of good reasons for keeping any piece of machinery clean. Engines are water cooled but a significant amount of heat is radiated from the surface of the metal. A layer of grease insulates the surface and inhibits this heat removal mechanism. Pebbles, dirt, etc. are abrasives and can eventually take their toll if they work into certain crevices and parts including electrical connectors. When making a repair it is impossible to have any kind of foreign material exclusion control if the area is dirty. Mechanics, generally will do a better job working in a clean field than working through blobs of grease and dirt. The cleanliness of an engine makes a statement about how one takes car of it. Then there is that mysterious factor that machines seem to know when they are clean and simply are more reliable.

Cleaning an engine can be damaging in itself so there is a balance and common sense must be used. Degreasers can damage organic/synthetic parts and seals. High pressure water can cause mechanical damage just from the force of the spray.

This all is only an opinion but like something else, we all have one.