clean transmission wanted after 150,000 miles on original fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean transmission wanted after 150,000 miles on original fluid.

I have a 1998 Acura CL 3.0 premium that I want to keep driving. A couple of months ago the transmission started slipping and balking going from first to second gear etc. I found a youtube video about cleaning the solenoid valve filter screens to correct transmission problems such as I had. After following their demonstration and instructions I cleaned the solenoid screens which solved the problem and the transmission worked fine for a couple hundred miles, but it has now reverted to uncertain and slipping shifting. I was afraid this would happen because there was only one screen that actually was clogged with dirt and the transmission was still filled with dirty original fluid. Therefore I'm wanting to know how to get my transmission really clean inside without rebuilding and disassembly? Will flushing through the outputcooling line do this?
Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
DO NOT flush the transmission, you will have to do drain and fill the ATF 3-5 times as needed and hopefully this fix the issue. I don't know why people never change their ATF. BTW you has post in a 3g TL forum.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
This thread has been moved from the Third Generation TL (2004-2008) Forum to the appropriate subsection so you can hopefully get more help.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool wanting to minimize waste of expensive ATF

I'm a bit confused because I had found one youtube video about flushing through the cooling line on a Honda product transmission and watching as the dirty fluid changed from black to red when the new clean fluid started to come through. The technician said to be sure to shut the motor off when the flow started dropping off. I believe he said that it would take a few cycles of adding new clean fluid (as in the drain and refill method that seems to be the recommended Acura method ). What I'm wondering is how to get the dirty stuff completely out of the torque converter and other pl;aces that won't drain when the outlet plug is removed. Using the transmission's own pump seems like a good way to move the bad stuff out. Draining and filling several times ends up diluting the old spent fluid with fresh new clean fluid, right? The problem that worries me is that such a small amount of dirt in the shift solenoid filter screen causes the shifting problem, and therefore it would take quite a lot of expensive Honda ATF to accomplish the desired end of a clean transmission. I had found one you tube video, which I can no longer locate, in which the technician was using Dexron III.as a cheaper cleaning agent but ending up with Honda Z1, or it's equivalent, to finally fill the transmission. This also would present the dilution/ mixture problem though. ;;.Thanks for your help guys.