CD's and non-Bose radio = GONE in the 2.3 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
CD's and non-Bose radio = GONE in the 2.3 (long)

Time to say goodbye to the 100+ CD's i've had floating around my back seat in books, spindles and wherever, and oh the ultra-crappy 12WX4 CD Player that had no place in a luxury branded car.

Using this write-up by Jaysfan5432, I was able to get some inspiration on installing an iPod interface i purchased from neocaraudio.com. I paid $199 shipped and it was the best money i've spent on this car! The sound quality is simply amazing for factory and it works with my radio/steering wheel buttons to change tracks!

The interface is called Neo ProLink Model: PODHONR2V2. It plugs into the CDC DIN on the back of the radio and works with iPod, iPod touch, iPhone and 3G (doesn't charge the 3G just yet, but a new cable is coming out that will allow it to in about a month) The sound is clear, loud, not-distorted and (i think) sounds better than the CD-R's i've been playing in the single-disc player. I ran the cable into the center armrest and filed little divit for it to sneak out of from the center hole. It looks excellent!

As for the Bose retrofit, a local junkyard let me have the Bose amp, complete wiring harness, 6 speakers, headunit and "Bose" rear speaker grilles out of a 98 3.0 all for $50! I sold my standard CD player on eBay for $54, so the conversion actually made me $4. Here's my "work area." I fab'd the final harness on this table, computer at my side...

My local stealer was nice enough to copy the audio pages from the 98-99 3.0 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual which shows real pictures of connectors, grounds and the amp location (which I had no clue how was mounted). My service manual helped me out on things too. Most of the interior except driver's seat, needs to come out!

As always, do a test-run before snaking/hiding wire looms!

I fabricated a custom/hybrid PnP wiring harness for the Bose that plugs in between my factory plug, and the radio. The Bose radio option has some very weird wiring involved. Radio power, steering wheel control signal, illumination all go from the radio to the rear deck, then back up the driver's side to the fuse box.

Well, lots of soldering later and a call to the stealer for the radio CODE.

music to my ears!!

And after 2+ hours of routing, wrapping, tieing, and fishing harnesses I crossed my fingers that my soldering skills would hold up.

I'm really sorry I didn't do a write-up on the conversion. It was a pretty indepth project. It took a ton of studying and thinking to do this without cutting wires or rewiring speakers and such. Plus, I don't think people really like their Bose radios on here, so I didn't think anyone would actually remove the interior of their car and waste 2+ days on this.

An aftermarket deck would have been much easier i'm sure. But, if you're a factory-freak like I am, go for it!.. it is well worth the experience and better sound.

Next project.. 3.0 heated front seats retrofit.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nicely done. Any pics of the back of the Bose HU? Specifically, I want to see what the CD changer port looks like.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
'99 2.3 CL

okay here goes...

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
Nicely done. Any pics of the back of the Bose HU? Specifically, I want to see what the CD changer port looks like.
Here is the back of the non-bose radio, but the Bose radio is identical. The plug to the left is the DIN plug for the CDC.

Just make sure the DIN plug is to the left of the connector whenever you're buying an iPod interface for your radio. None of us first-gen CL owners have to worry, but just in case you are helping a friend or whatever read up on my lil history thing on Honda's CD changer protocol.

Starting in 1988 in the US, Honda formed a relationship with Alpine to make accessory CD changers for Honda/Acura. Alpine held the contract until 1998, then Pioneer and Matsushita (Panasonic) started doing some bidding.

This is one of the first CD Changers offered by Honda/Acura. The Honda model is identical.

The Honda/Acura system is a closed-type, requiring no external power hookups or wiring. It originally consisted of the 6 Disc CD changer, DIN cable, CD Changer controller (mounted below the single-din head unit), and the head unit itself (AM/FM cassette deck).

Here are some pictures of a Radio with the optional CD Changer controller underneath that I pulled out of my basement for this post.

On the pre "CDC" radios
1. There is no CD button
2. The DIN plug on the radio is on the RH side
3. The radio requires a "dummy plug" to function

If you have a radio like this, it is not compatible with an iPod interface.

Also, adding a CD changer back then was DAMN expensive! The CD Changer controller alone was $399. Then you had to buy the actual CD Changer - $499. installation kit - $20, another kit to mount the CD controller under the radio - $10, the DIN cable for $35, and finally 2 hours installation...

this became a $1100+ option in the 80's and 90's. Needless to say, VERY FEW ordered it.

Now, onto our car's system...

Starting with the 1991 Legend, Honda began installing "CDCC" (CD Changer Controller) head-units (pictured below) into some of the Legends. (CDC became its shorter name)

These units encompassed the "controlling" functions such as track advance, seek, disc select, etc. all in one unit. Presets 1-6 selected the disc, skip and seek selected tracks and FF/REW, auto select randomized the CD and repeat repeated the track. Even though these didn't have "CD" on the front, pressing the AM/FM button would switch to the CD changer. From here on, the DIN plug consisted of the following:

+12 V constant, +12 Switch-on, Ground, Low-level Left Channel +/ -, Low-level Right Channel +/ - and a communication/information bus.

An iPod interface is compatible beginning with these radios.

Acura Legend

Honda soon followed in the 1993 Accord SE

In 1994, all Honda's and Acura's came with "CDC' head units from the factory and the CD Changer Controller was discontinued.

This radio was widely used in Honda/Acura's Lineup. Accords, Preludes, Integras, and Vigors. Notice the AM/CD selection.

So some really smart entrepreneurs came up with an idea on how to mimick a Honda CD changer and allow an iPod to interact with it. The radio is "fooled" into thinking its playing CD's when its really just acting as an aux port with come simple data transfer in the middle.

All CL's from 97-99 have CDC head units with DIN connectors. That being said, the popular iPod interfaces and any honda/acura CD changer with a din-style plug is compatible with all our radios.

The tradition carries on in some form today in Honda and Acura, although the technology has changed quite a bit. This got them through the 80's and 90's very reliably with good quality.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
wow, all that work for a stock blose system, at least it should have been mostly pnp. Good work man, very nice
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the info!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 AM
SANJOCL

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
deng dude that is a lot of work for a stock radio. but it looks flawless to me. haha. good job
Old 10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

wow, that was a lot of work and props for it, but @ "upgrading" to the bose
Old 10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
that looks like a shit load of work. maybe too much for a bose upgrade? nice job though.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I just can't see doing that much work for those crappy paper coned speakers, but I def respect the amount of work
Old 10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
W WHIP.

should of just bought aftermarket shit and you would been even happier. as far as 'from the factory' double din navi would have been a good buy.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Why not just install those little PIE AUX adapters for iPod? Worked for me and for those "paper coned" speakers, the high freq clarity and bass hits ridiculous.. Ask Carson. It literaly sounds like I have a mini sub in the trunk. (if there was such a thing)
Sounds 10x better than the radio and 2x better than the CDs.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
the high freq clarity and bass hits ridiculous.. Ask Carson. It literaly sounds like I have a mini sub in the trunk. (if there was such a thing)
he had to pop the trunk to prove to me that he had no subs.... it was ridiculous
Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Till you blow the surrounds which are non-existent
Old 10-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Racer

I have the stock bose Head unit that i took out PM me if you want it mad cheap
Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Worked for me and for those "paper coned" speakers, the high freq clarity and bass hits ridiculous.. Ask Carson. It literaly sounds like I have a mini sub in the trunk. (if there was such a thing).
they do have mini subs, Rockford Fosgate used to make 8" DVC Subs with massive magnets.

here's a link actually: http://www.ciao.com/Rockford_Fosgate...iver__10018280

i mean i'm sure a bose system in proper working order sounds "good" but i haven't had a basic stereo in my car since my mom's 1992 tempo back in 96.

the system in the CL is actually like 6-7 yrs old, but it was all top of the line stuff back then and hasn't skipped a beat since.

Kenwood KDC-X969
Kenwood Music Keg (9GB)
AudioControl Three.1
Rockford Fosgate 800.4 amp (4ch) (1200watts)
Rockford Fosgate 6" Fanatic X Components (oem locations)
2 MMATS Pro 10's sealed box

I brownbreaded the rear deck to seal the subs in the trunk, i have no rear speakers. it's simple but clear as day and nothing is overkill, the music sounds like it's supposed to and it'll play pretty much anything
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Sadly those blose speakers were pretty much top of the line 10 years ago, I rocked my stock blose speakers till I blew 3 out of 4 of em

And they make tons of 8" subs, I have a JL sitting in my basement.

Haze, wtf would he want to buy your head unit when he installed the bose in his car already?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
For Life

^^mmats ftw. one of the best companies out there for audio.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Instructor

hahah damn that is alotta work for a stoke unit. well i just bought a bose stock deck from another CL owner(same unit as the picture),after removing my double din. next thing i found out the stock wire harness is missing because the previous owner. so if a go get a stock wire harness for my car will the stock bose work for my 97 2.2?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Originally Posted by macsta
hahah damn that is alotta work for a stoke unit. well i just bought a bose stock deck from another CL owner(same unit as the picture),after removing my double din. next thing i found out the stock wire harness is missing because the previous owner. so if a go get a stock wire harness for my car will the stock bose work for my 97 2.2?
No, it will not work on a 2.2. The Bose radios use a "pre-out" level for the speakers. Though i've never personally attempted it, I would guess you would get little to no sound from the speakers.

Honda used to offer a harness repair kit (say, in the case of car stereo theft) that you can splice into the wires. If you are interested in it, I can find the TSB and give you the part number so you can order one.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iansanderson
No, it will not work on a 2.2. The Bose radios use a "pre-out" level for the speakers. Though i've never personally attempted it, I would guess you would get little to no sound from the speakers.

Honda used to offer a harness repair kit (say, in the case of car stereo theft) that you can splice into the wires. If you are interested in it, I can find the TSB and give you the part number so you can order one.
thanks.. thats what my friend told me too. i guess i bought a stock deck for nothing!