Acura 3.0 CL cd head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura 3.0 CL cd head unit

Hello guys...i'm new to this forum...and i need your help. i have an acura 3.0 cl'98 and plan to attach a cd changer to the cd head unit. first question....my stock cd player has the "chg" letters on top of the cd button...so i'm assuming i can attach a cd changer to it. right? second, what changer will be compatible with this stock cd head unit. is my head unit also made by alpine (just like the hondas) therefore any alpine cd changer will be compatible with it with the proper adapters?
third....and this may be quite tedious for you guys to explain but any help would be welcomed...how do i remove the stock head unit to get to the back of it. i've looked all around for screws to remove the dash and console where the head unit sits on and i couldn't find any. i've installed a cd player and changer on my old 95 civic and that was quite simple. i'd like to try doing it on this acura first before having to pay like $70 to have someone do it for me. thanks guys! g
Old 02-15-2001, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

You should come on over to the First Gen forum. Not as much traffic, but it's more specific to our cars.

As far as the changer, I was looking into one and actually found several Acura ones on eBay for cheap!! You may want to do that. If you get an Acura one it's pretty much plug and play. BTW, your headunit is a Bose. Oh yeah, welcome to the board ...

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 02-15-2001, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grab a small flat head screw driver. And take out the black trim around the headunit and the other things arond there. Its one piece.

When you take that out, you will find screws inside holding it in, its gonna be phillips. There should also be a metal security bar holding it in place, unscrew that also.

------------------
97 Acura CL3.0 Prem.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:06 PM
Banned

Welcome!

Moving this to 1st Gen forum...

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI - on the way

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-15-2001, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Since you brought up the subject, anyone know of or have any wiring schematics for the stock radio on the CL (98 2.3CL Premium if it matters)? I am happy with the radio, but want to hook up my own system as an external source instead of the changer or tape deck acura makes. anybody heard of this, or have any leads as to where I could get this info? Thanks.

------------------
Drive it like you stole it!
Old 02-16-2001, 04:42 PM
Instructor

I have a set of instructions for removing the center dash/consol unit that i got from a friend who worked at a Honda dealership. Its for the 97 CL specifically, but it pretty much worked for me (with a few minor differences) when i installed the acura tape deck my friend got me. when i get a chance i'll scan it and post it here.

------------------
'99 2.3CL 5-spd. Black w/ spoiler, fogs, Wheel Locks, Mudguards, CD & Cass, and a CoPilot Digital Compass.
Old 02-18-2001, 07:27 PM
Advanced

To access the radio you have to remove the "wooden" trim piece around it. This trim piece is held in place by clips around the edges and three screws. One screw is easy to get to and is behind the ashtray just above the OBDII connector. The other two screws are covered by the front of the rear part of the console so you will have to remove it (the rear of the console) first. After the screws are removed use a small screwdriver to carefully pry it out and disengage the clips. If you are not VERY careful you will bend the trim piece. If it bends to much the bend will be seen forever in the fake wood. The upper right corner area is a particular easy area to bend too much so be careful.