AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Zoom zoom (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/zoom-zoom-978625/)

Karliss Akins 04-09-2019 07:19 AM

Zoom zoom

Hey guys I was wondering! I have owned the 2nd generation -5th generation tl to tlx. My questions is do you think the older gens were faster than the newer ones?

Christopher. 04-10-2019 11:12 AM

Exactly what do you mean by "faster"? My TLX is plenty fast, I just wish it had a little more low end torque so it felt "peppier", more feeling of thrust, faster acceleration off the line.

In order to make my car feel more responsive to my input I drive with Traction Control turned off and that has been a BIG help, making the car feel more like it responds the way I want, whereas before, with Traction Control on, it feels like my grandma is driving. Let me explain more: I mean when I press the gas pedal I feel like the car doesn't respond right away, rather it has a delay, and doesn't instantly engage the throttle as far as I pushed the pedal - like it wants to be in control, not me. I ***HATE*** that feeling like the car is not perfectly and instantly responding to my input, I am capable of pressing the gas pedal gradually and smoothly myself, if that's what I want! I also installed a "Sprint Booster", but I would really prefer a manual direct connected (connected by a cable, or a rod) over the "Drive By Wire" that we have. I also learned with this car that I really prefer a manual transmission - I didn't know how strongly I felt about this until I got this car. My previous car was a Toyota Camry and I just didn't expect it to feel sporty, so, I didn't miss the MT, in fact, I liked the Auto because it made it easy to use in heavy traffic etc.

Oh, and this is my first car with paddle shifters, so, learning to use those was a big help in getting the kind of performance that I wanted out of my TLX - down shift and rev up when I want to hit the engine's "power band" quickly (above ~4,500 RPM or so).

dopeboy1 04-10-2019 04:45 PM

Wouldn't a simple google search give you the answer to this question?

Christopher. 04-10-2019 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16409884)
Wouldn't a simple google search give you the answer to this question?

He should probably ask some more questions - but he's probably looking for subjective opinions?

Sure, objectively, we could look up the 0 - 60 time, top speed, etc. But if you're looking for opinions from people that have owned/driven both the older TLs and the current TLX this is a good place to ask.

Rather than bother to post "wouldn't a simple google search", how about doing the search and posting links to results that you think do a good job of answering his question?

For example, here's a web article comparing the '14 TL to the TLX: https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...ference-235857

dopeboy1 04-10-2019 07:01 PM

Actually what my post is really doing is asking him to clarify his question.

Because subjective opinions on which car is faster than which.......... lol

Karliss Akins 04-10-2019 07:17 PM

Yes my question is subjective.... sorry I brought it up...

Karliss Akins 04-10-2019 07:20 PM

@dopeboy1 one of the reasons people don’t like this stuff is because of smart asses like you...

justnspace 04-10-2019 07:40 PM

if you really break it down, it's all the same engine architecture with transmission gearing tweaks.
one wouldnt be any faster than the other, maybe one is quicker than the other by milliseconds

Christopher. 04-11-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Karliss Akins (Post 16409937)
Yes my question is subjective.... sorry I brought it up...

Hey, don't worry about it - you can't please everyone. I'm glad you posted your question, even if not everyone likes it, there's no harm - he could have just ignored your post and moved on you know?

If somebody wants to discuss, then great. I for one, prefer to see the forums stay active, even if not all the posts are spectacular.

Midnight Mystery 04-12-2019 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Karliss Akins (Post 16409041)
Hey guys I was wondering! I have owned the 2nd generation -5th generation tl to tlx. My questions is do you think the older gens were faster than the newer ones?

Short answer, NO.

I had a 2008 TL and rented a 2018 Honda Odyssey recently, and that 9 speed van would smoke the hell out of my TL in most scenarios... That van would spin it's wheels until atleast 30 mph! :D

Your TLX is the same powertrain, with 10 added HP and weighing 1K lbs less than the 4,500 lb beast.

I get what Justnspace was saying that the mechanical structure of the car is basically the same in most aspects... The engines are the same with the TLX having more displacement based upon Honda changing up some interals, bore, stroke ETC...

The TLX weighs more than a 2G TL, it really boils down to the transmission, well, the biggest part if it does... And in certain conditions, than can be really similar... I mean, they sound similar! Things like that!

Go race a TL and find out for us! :drag:

Midnight Mystery 04-12-2019 04:30 AM

Zoom Zoom, is Mazda, BTW!

JT4 04-12-2019 06:48 AM

What are we comparing, is the 4G TL a 3.5 / 280HP or the 3.7 / 305HP? And which TLX the 2.4 / 206HP or the 3.5 / 290HP?

Here is my real world opinion since we currently have both a TL and TLX in the family. My middle son has a 3.5 4G that we've had since new, and my youngest son has a 2.4 5G.

IME while the 5G is more refined and I like the DCT, my "butt dyno" tells me the 4G is quicker off the line and pulls harder which makes me feel more confident merging into traffic in the TL than in the TLX.. Even though the TL weighs some 200+ pounds more IMO this isn't surprising since the 2.4 TLX has 182 lb/ft and the 3.5 TL has 254 lb/ft.

:2cents:

Midnight Mystery 04-12-2019 11:01 PM

OP is comparing a 2G TL to a 5G TLX... :what:

BEAR-AvHistory 04-13-2019 11:35 AM

Have not seen real numbers for a TLX only magazine tests. Back in 2007/8 the best time slips posted by the TL 6MT guys were 13.9 @ 101 with sticky tires. My best, base 6MT was 14.2 @ 100 with 255 summer tires.