View Poll Results: Would you like a hybrid Acura TLX?
1. No, I don't want a hybrid - period
27.55%
2. No, I'd prefer another brand
2.04%
3. Yes, if it accelerated 0-60 in 7 sec and got 40MPG combined
28.57%
4. Yes, if it accelerated 0-60 in 8 sec and got 50MPG combined
13.27%
5. No, I'd prefer a type S that accelerated 0-60 in 5 sec and got 20mpg
36.73%
6. NA, I can't answer any questions unless we discuss tailpipes.
3.06%
Whiskers.
71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Would you be interested in a 2016 Acura TLX Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Would you be interested in a 2016 Acura TLX Hybrid

I'm on the fence still about getting an ES300h. It has reasonable acceleration for a hybrid but I have no doubt if they used some of that Honda Accord Hybrid tech, they could make a hybrid TLX with better acceleration than the ES300h and at least as good MPG.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Only if it has the 3-motor hybrid AWD powertrain, but with a much, much lower price tag than the still-hasn't-come-out "Hybrid AWD" RLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
boe_d (09-11-2014), smaragh72 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Only if it has the 3-motor hybrid AWD powertrain, but with a much, much lower price tag than the still-hasn't-come-out "Hybrid AWD" RLX.
good point - I wish I could add them to the poll now
Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I would have been interested if the acceleration was reasonable, but not anymore ... ask me again in another 7-10 years.

At one point, I actually thought the Q50 Hybrid would've been a great next car despite not having a trunk to speak of. The only thing that stopped me there was the electronics glitches it had. That thing gets good mileage and hauls butt.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Honda has zero track record that show they know how to built a reliable hybrid. Looking at the battery replacement rates of their Civic Hybrid (something like 40% of all owners had their hybrid batteries replaced) compared to the Prius, it's pretty clear that buying any Honda Hybrid basically means throwing reliability out the window.

A Honda or Acura with poor reliability doesn't offer much reason to choose the brand, as they really don't have much else to offer.

Toyota has the Hybrid market down pat, with a long track record to back it up. I love Hybrids (had a 2011 Prius), but I'm not touching any Honda Hybrid with a 10-foot pole.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not big on hybrids and with most of my driving on the highway I got a diesel instead. I still think diesel is the way to go after putting 55,000 miles on my tdi in one year.

Oh, and yes they need a 6mt type s!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
First, the current TLX has all the power I need and then some, so additional torq from a hybrid would be useless. Second, I do not do enough mileage to justify the additional cost of a hybrid even if I kept it for 7 years. May be a different situation if gas doubles in price in a few years.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
After seeing the mileage numbers that current TLX owners are attaining, I would likely not be interested in a hybrid. I'd prefer the 290hp V6 engine with 34+mpg on the highway which is the majority of my driving. Love the power too much to exchange for a few more mpgs.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Would be interested in a biturbo V6 Diesel with 330 hp and 550ft lb of torque as the Bmw 335d...
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,198 Posts
I would go for a mild sport hybrid in I-4 and/or V-6 form that improved 0-60 times by 1/2 second or more and raised the city mpgs by +5 mpgs.

Acura could make a statement by making sport hybrid standard across the entire line. They can just add/subtract power levels and mpg gains depending on trim level. This would lower cost per vehicle, take advantage of the new sh-awd system, give Acura something different from Honda, and establish Acura as the "affordable" hybrid luxury brand. Acura does have all the parts, just put it together!
The following users liked this post:
boe_d (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently a Prius driver about to purchase a TLX 4cyl. I will be sacrificing high mpg for high comfort/style. I drive 25000 miles a year and if they put the accord hybrid powertrain in the TLX I would be the first in line to get one!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
if you are looking for a Hybrid, why not the Accord Hybrid that has been getting absolutely rave reviews, plus pretty rare.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian_scv
I am currently a Prius driver about to purchase a TLX 4cyl. I will be sacrificing high mpg for high comfort/style. I drive 25000 miles a year and if they put the accord hybrid powertrain in the TLX I would be the first in line to get one!
I drove a 2011 Prius as my last car, before hopping back into a real car (Acura). Coming from a Prius, I'm sure you know that just about any car on the road will be a huge upgrade in drivability.

I also have a 2008 Sienna minivan, and I've always thought that it was a total rocketship compared to a Prius. Wayyyy more power than the Prius, but handled about the same.

Prius: all MPG and reliability, nothing else.
TLX: good all arounder, with a slight splurge towards a little bit of driving pleasure.

Last edited by hddnav; 09-12-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
No, not unless it was a Sport hybrid system like in the Porsche 918/LaFerrari upcomming NSX where its used to improve performance and not something for MPG like the Prius
Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brutustlx
if you are looking for a Hybrid, why not the Accord Hybrid that has been getting absolutely rave reviews, plus pretty rare.
1. I don't like the seats in the accord
2. The accord hybrid has much louder interior noise on the road than the TLX
3. I've got till next year before I buy my next car -gives things a chance to settle with the new accord hybrid tech and for them to find a new source for their batteries. The battery source is the reason for their scarcity which means little room for negotiation.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hddnav
I drove a 2011 Prius as my last car, before hopping back into a real car (Acura). Coming from a Prius, I'm sure you know that just about any car on the road will be a huge upgrade in drivability.

I also have a 2008 Sienna minivan, and I've always thought that it was a total rocketship compared to a Prius. Wayyyy more power than the Prius, but handled about the same.

Prius: all MPG and reliability, nothing else.
TLX: good all arounder, with a slight splurge towards a little bit of driving pleasure.
If you've driven the accord hybrid, you know it is night and day different from the Prius.

Last edited by boe_d; 09-12-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boe_d
If you've driven the accord hybrid, you know it is night and day different from the Prius.
But the point is that I would not drive an Accord Hybrid, because it doesn't have the track record of reliability in the Hybrid system that the Prius does.

Check out this link for Honda vs Toyota Hybrid reliability:

Honda Civic Hybrid Battery Reliability | Hybrid Batteries - Consumer Reports News

What's the point of SLIGHTLY saving money in gas with a Honda Hybrid, just to blow it on the higher purchase cost AND repair cost, not to mention the aggravation. Completely defeats the purpose of buying a Honda in the first place.

If cost savings is the only factor that matters, the car that makes the most sense is the Prius, bar none. If I were in the market for a comfortable family car that's a Hybrid, I would take the Camry over the Accord.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

But the point is that I would not drive an Accord Hybrid, because it doesn't have the track record of reliability in the Hybrid system that the Prius does.

Check out this link for Honda vs Toyota Hybrid reliability:

Honda Civic Hybrid Battery Reliability | Hybrid Batteries - Consumer Reports News

What's the point of SLIGHTLY saving money in gas with a Honda Hybrid, just to blow it on the higher purchase cost AND repair cost, not to mention the aggravation. Completely defeats the purpose of buying a Honda in the first place.

If cost savings is the only factor that matters, the car that makes the most sense is the Prius, bar none. If I were in the market for a comfortable family car that's a Hybrid, I would take the Camry over the Accord.
I can't take the poor acceleration of the Prius. I get angry following them on the onramp or just behind them at a light.

I have no idea how the reliability of the Accord will turn out. It is a totally new engine design from top to bottom. I believe the batteries are from a different source as well. I'm not saying you have to get one but I'd like to remain optimistic.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boe_d
I can't take the poor acceleration of the Prius. I get angry following them on the onramp or just behind them at a light.

I have no idea how the reliability of the Accord will turn out. It is a totally new engine design from top to bottom. I believe the batteries are from a different source as well. I'm not saying you have to get one but I'd like to remain optimistic.
Hahaha, I feel the same way about Prius drivers, now that I'm back in my Acura . Nevermind that I was a Prius driver myself for a short while. Notice that I never recommended that a person in the market for an Acura actually consider a Prius.

I hope Honda can get their Hybrid strategy sorted out, as well, as Hondas have very different flavors than Toyotas. Although the Camry Hybrid has a better track record than a Honda Hybrid, I NEVER said that I would myself actually buy a Camry Hybrid.

Rational or not, I just couldn't get over the stigma of driving a Camry, period. Now, a Lexus Hybrid is another story...
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Here's what I think:

The Sport Hybrid system will come to the $40K price range but it will be on the CLX (coupe). The two versions of the CLX will be a ~300hp 2.0T FWD/SHAWD and a Sport Hybrid.

The i-MMD system doesn't make too much sense for the TLX IMO because hybrid sales are going in the wrong direction and there isn't much evidence that adding a hybrid to the lineup helps sales. I know that, for CAFE reasons, Acura might end up doing it anyway. If they do - I think it should be the plug-in version of the i-MMD system. More exclusive, more desirable and they could actually produce them and sell them in greater numbers I think. A plug-in TLX does more for the image of the TLX and for Acura than a regular hybrid does IMO.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I hope Honda can get their Hybrid strategy sorted out, as well, as Hondas have very different flavors than Toyotas. Although the Camry Hybrid has a better track record than a Honda Hybrid, I NEVER said that I would myself actually buy a Camry Hybrid.
Who knows - by this time next year they may actually release the NS4 which I think will be a hybrid more like the Accord than the Prius (in both size and tech).
Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
I would consider one using the Accord technology. I have a couple of years befor looking for a new car.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow! A lot more hybrid votes here than I thought. I figured it would all be 500HP and show tailpipes and a driving sock
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

It is interest that even though cities are and highways are becoming more congested that a third of the responders want a faster car with poorer mileage. I guess they just need to get out of town as quickly as possible.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
to me its just not worth it to pay the extra on a hybrid to save on gas. its gonna take years of driving to make up the difference in gas savings. on top of that hybrids have horrible resale value and can be a nightmare once they are out of warranty.. plus you get reduce performance... makes ZERO sense to me.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quandry
It is interest that even though cities are and highways are becoming more congested that a third of the responders want a faster car with poorer mileage. I guess they just need to get out of town as quickly as possible.
I live in LA and while I really want good gas mileage, there are places where you need to get on the highway fast. Prius owners really piss off a lot of us when they are in the lead on an onramp. However I really don't need a car that goes more than 80/85. I do want it to accelerate from 60-80 quickly as well since you might be doing 60 in the left hand lane but be able to go much faster in the right hand lane when going up a highway hill (provided a prius isn't blocking you).

Last edited by boe_d; 09-18-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

This is actually pretty accurate. My commute to work is all of 8 minutes there and 8 minutes back. Yes, I get an awful 18mpg during that stint, but I'm looking for a car for longer trip duties. I tend to get out of town a couple times a month, at least 250 miles north or south. This is where i'd rather have the performance. Most cars do pretty well on the highway, whether via cylinder deactivation on NA cars or via being off boost/open wastegates in something with snails. Once you get out of DC metro at night, you pretty much have I95 to yourself until you get close to PA/NJ/NY or really all the way to Jacksonville if you're heading south. I'm more interested in something that's going to be enjoyable on backroad detours, with sufficient power to pass 90% of the cars I want to pass.

But again, my commute is significantly shorter than average, and I'd have no problem having a used prius or a 95 civic if gas prices got too insane. I can absolutely appreciate why some of you who spend the majority of your mornings/afternoons in traffic would prefer a premium hybrid. My commute just isn't long enough to need a hybrid or give me any serious benefit from having a "nicer" car.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Well once you get beyond the few very large cities, there is a VERY big and wide open US that doesnt deal with congestion in their cities and hwys and are able to do more than idle everywhere and would like to have a vehicle that gets somewhere quicker than tomorrow.
neuronbob (09-21-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

I understand the adrenaline rush from the fast acceleration, but practically the time going from point A to point B with a standard engine and a hot performance version will likely be inconsequential. The latter also encourages a contribution to the law enforcers ball.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

I understand the adrenaline rush from the fast acceleration, but practically the time going from point A to point B with a standard engine and a hot performance version will likely be inconsequential. The latter also encourages a contribution to the law enforcers ball.
Quit looking at numbers or like qualifying for a race, most dont look at the power or use it as a way to get there faster. They use it to feel satisfied/have that adrenaline rush WHEN they want to. Its not that they ALWAYS have to use it, but it is nice to have it when you want to. Id rather have it than not.The majority of the 600k miles on my TL is 2 lane HWY driving, There is plenty of time i use every last bit of power to pass vehicles and want more. There isnt a piece of paper long enough to count how many times my motor has seen redline and even the rev limiter counts couldn't fit in a standard college ruled notebook. I contribute more to the law enforcement for no license plate in the front than tickets for using the power my engine has
TheAcAvenger (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:28 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I would have been interested if the acceleration was reasonable, but not anymore ... ask me again in another 7-10 years.

At one point, I actually thought the Q50 Hybrid would've been a great next car despite not having a trunk to speak of. The only thing that stopped me there was the electronics glitches it had. That thing gets good mileage and hauls butt.
hey, just wondering if u did 0-60 in ur car....thnxx
Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The option I want isn't there.

I would want a Sport Hybrid AWD system with a V6 that gives faster accleration than the base V6, and a combined mpg of at least 28-29 mpg
Warrior 6 (12-07-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I just looked at the poll numbers for the first time in a while. I appreciate people taking the time to respond.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I realize the sample size is way too small to tell much but it did tell me something.

1. I think it is pretty clear they should have offered the TLX with tailpipes (I honestly don't care either way although I just had a 3G parked behind me in the garage this morning and I thought the exhaust looked slick. I still think it is the best looking TL by a wide margin - wish I had bought one).

2. There are more votes for hybrids than I would have expected (I hope that means Acura is getting feedback from customers).

3. Based on the number of posts about a type S I was expecting that to be at least as high as the number of votes for the tailpipes. However it could just be that people who want a type S didn't look at this poll since they might think hybrid doesn't flex its muscles enough.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I may be convincing myself that the hidden tailpipes are a non issue, and do not think about them when driving. The dual twin pipes on the 4G TL looks very "industrial", dated and not very stylish.

There are many new cars from different manufacturers that seem to be going to route of hidden tailpipes. Seems like a trend to prepare us for the era when there are no tailpipes.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I don't know... There could be less type-S votes because the option was 20mpg. There are a lot of 5 second cars that do better than 20mpg. Even running a 20psi tune for a solid 450 to the wheels, I can get about 25. 20 is pretty turrible for 2014.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I don't know... There could be less type-S votes because the option was 20mpg. There are a lot of 5 second cars that do better than 20mpg. Even running a 20psi tune for a solid 450 to the wheels, I can get about 25. 20 is pretty turrible for 2014.
There is already a post from someone who has a lead foot like me saying he got about 18/25 with the current TL 6cyl. Considering people insisting they want a type -s I'd suggest they probably have a lead foot if they need more HP or acceleration than the current 6CYL. What do you expect their combined MPG will be with a car with a bigger engine and faster acceleration? Sure I could have said 4sec 0-60 and 80MPG for a type S but do you think that would be very realistic?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry - I meant to say 18/35.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Rumor has it that the 2016 Accord Hybrids might get turbocharged engines for even better acceleration. I really would like to buy my next car by DEC 2016 so I'm hoping that hybrid goodness flows into the TLX. Even without the turbo the Accord hybrid has 0-60 acceleration similar to the current TLX.

http://carpreview.com/honda/accord/2016/preview

Last edited by boe_d; 09-29-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

We got a pretty good turnout for people who want hybrids. I expected the type S people to dwarf it but a good amount for each.

Quick Reply: Would you be interested in a 2016 Acura TLX Hybrid