AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Worried about the upcoming turbo engine? (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/worried-about-upcoming-turbo-engine-978679/)

Mak P 04-11-2019 11:40 AM

Worried about the upcoming turbo engine?

Cause right now my mom new 2018 Accord is having gas smell, oil issues with the 1.5. Only 6 months like 4k miles. I look at their boards and my god the CRV and Civic has issues as well. Does honda give a damn of course not. I remember so many people had issues with the 4g TL excessive oil use and Acura took forever to address it

Now the vibration is one thing but engine issues is not a game at all

justnspace 04-11-2019 12:30 PM

if you're worried, vote with your wallet somewhere else. :tongue:

you know, you dont have to buy the newest acura that comes out...you can wait awhile to see if all the bugs and kinks are worked out

neuronbob 04-11-2019 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16410209)
if you're worried, vote with your wallet somewhere else. :tongue:

you know, you dont have to buy the newest acura that comes out...you can wait awhile to see if all the bugs and kinks are worked out

:werd: never buy the first year.

chums 04-12-2019 07:50 AM

kinda the reason why I went with the tried and true 2.4 TLX. I had a 2003 Element that went 300k+ before I sold it and that car had a variation of the same engine. I believe the only thing I replaced were the struts and the engine mounts. the TLX's excellent 8SDCT is questionable long term but damn is it a joy to drive and likely worth any maintenance cost down the road.

losiglow 04-12-2019 10:27 AM

The more info that comes out on all the new TC'd engines (from all manufacturers), the more I'm thinking I'll try to get a vehicle with a larger displacement NA engine than a smaller TC engine. I'm all about weight, and it's a fact that a TC engine is lighter but with similar power to a higher displacement NA engine. But I still think I'll opt for NA. We'll see.

someguy11 04-12-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16410628)
The more info that comes out on all the new TC'd engines (from all manufacturers), the more I'm thinking I'll try to get a vehicle with a larger displacement NA engine than a smaller TC engine. I'm all about weight, and it's a fact that a TC engine is lighter but with similar power to a higher displacement NA engine. But I still think I'll opt for NA. We'll see.

This was my feeling when I went with a 15 V6 TLX over the 18 Accord Touring. I wanted AWD and the turbo was a huge turnoff to me, not for the sake of performance or efficiency, but reliability. Based on what I'm reading, the 1.5T and 2.0T do have some issues already. I want to see these turboed engines run 100k+ miles without issues. Until then, I'll take my tested and proven J35 (with VCM disabled).

losiglow 04-12-2019 01:09 PM

:werd:

I trust Honda in general when it comes to engines but it's still a matter of being an early adopter. It's difficult to predict future problems even with all the testing they might do in R&D prior to release.

Does the TLX have VCM disabled? For some reason I thought it had it. The 4G TL doesn't have VCM at all. My '09 Pilot does, which has resulted in oil consumption :mad:

hondu 04-12-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16410656)
This was my feeling when I went with a 15 V6 TLX over the 18 Accord Touring. I wanted AWD and the turbo was a huge turnoff to me, not for the sake of performance or efficiency, but reliability. Based on what I'm reading, the 1.5T and 2.0T do have some issues already. I want to see these turboed engines run 100k+ miles without issues. Until then, I'll take my tested and proven J35 (with VCM disabled).

A few owners in the link below with over 100,000 miles and no issues (small sample size, but still some info). One recently sold theirs with 150,000+.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/who-h...c.23309/page-4

someguy11 04-12-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16410723)
:werd:

I trust Honda in general when it comes to engines but it's still a matter of being an early adopter. It's difficult to predict future problems even with all the testing they might do in R&D prior to release.

Does the TLX have VCM disabled? For some reason I thought it had it. The 4G TL doesn't have VCM at all. My '09 Pilot does, which has resulted in oil consumption :mad:

I trust Honda too. That's pretty much why my last purchase came down to either Accord or TLX. No issues with the 92 Accord I drove through high school (and boy did I do some bad stuff to it - neutral drops, reverse donuts, you name it). Our 12 Odyssey has been very good to us for over five years, three of which included towing a popup camper. Zero issues with the TSX I had before my TLX. Nothing but gas and oil in those vehicles.

That's why my TLX has been so surprising to me. Mine hasn't been bulletproof at all, but it has gotten better once everything was fixed. Now I see the timing belt recall on the 19s and I'm like "what the heck is going on here??" Timing belt is MAJOR stuff! Honda having these types of issues feels like we entered Bizarro World. I mean this stuff is literally the antithesis of Honda. I'm just not sure their *recent* decisions will prove to be good ones. VCM for instance. I recently put VCMuzzlers on both our Odyssey and TLX to stop all the vibrations and avoid potential oil consumption issues. Once the ring warranty extension expires on our Odyssey, an engine rebuild down the road will cost thousands out of pocket. So it sounds like you were a prime example of VCM gone wrong. If you throw the misfire code, you may still qualify for the free ring replacement, but I think your Pilot is too old for that. Turbo is another. I'm just not sure how that decision will play out yet. My understanding of VCM2 ring failure is that it affects a small set of vehicles. No one can figure out why some misfire while most never consume a single drop of oil. But I didn't want to find out if VCM3 in my TLX was good for the long haul. Just like I didn't want to buy an Accord to see if the turbo was good for the long haul. Like hondu said, you can always find some road warrior who spends all day working behind a windshield racking up thousands of miles a week. The masses haven't reached 30k, 60k or even 100k miles yet. We have to see what problems a small set of those car develop.

Mak P 04-12-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16410775)
I trust Honda too. That's pretty much why my last purchase came down to either Accord or TLX. No issues with the 92 Accord I drove through high school (and boy did I do some bad stuff to it - neutral drops, reverse donuts, you name it). Our 12 Odyssey has been very good to us for over five years, three of which included towing a popup camper. Zero issues with the TSX I had before my TLX. Nothing but gas and oil in those vehicles.

That's why my TLX has been so surprising to me. Mine hasn't been bulletproof at all, but it has gotten better once everything was fixed. Now I see the timing belt recall on the 19s and I'm like "what the heck is going on here??" Honda having these types of issues feels like we entered Bizarro World. I mean this stuff is literally the antithesis of Honda. I'm just not sure their *recent* decisions will prove to be good ones. VCM for instance. I recently put VCMuzzlers on both our Odyssey and TLX to stop all the vibrations and avoid potential oil consumption issues. Once the ring warranty extension expires on our Odyssey, an engine rebuild down the road will cost thousands out of pocket. So it sounds like you were a prime example of VCM gone wrong. If you throw the misfire code, you may still qualify for the free ring replacement, but I think your Pilot is too old for that. Turbo is another. I'm just not sure how that decision will play out yet. My understanding of VCM2 ring failure is that it affects a small set of vehicles. No one can figure out why some misfire while most never consume a single drop of oil. But I didn't want to find out if VCM3 in my TLX was good for the long haul. Just like I didn't want to buy an Accord to see if the turbo was good for the long haul. Like hondu said, you can always find some road warrior who spends all day working behind a windshield racking up thousands of miles a week. The masses haven't reached 10k, 30k or even 60k miles yet.

Your vibration at high speeds is fixed?

Timing belt recall on 2019 tlx?

Midnight Mystery 04-13-2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by someguy11 (Post 16410656)

Honda builds great turbo engines... That's for sure, but the gas leaking into thr oil is very odd, and must be difficult to diagnose... I'm sure the source will be discovered one day soon...

However, the old K23A1 from the 1G RDX is bulletproof!

I have 249K miles on mine and it still runs like new!

someguy11 04-13-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mak P (Post 16410806)
Your vibration at high speeds is fixed?

Timing belt recall on 2019 tlx?

19 Timing Belt Recall was posted here yesterday. One of their suppliers provided belts out of spec subject to slipping, shredding, and all sorts of bad stuff associated with it failing. Yikes. So you get a free inspection, and if necessary, replacement of a belt or worse case an engine block.

I thought of another questionable recent decision. Using ZF9. That hasn’t gone well for Acura since receiving such negative press on it and replacing so many in the 15s, including mine. Some were provided out of spec and subject to terrible behavior. While they have improved, they’re still not excellent trannies, and now Honda started using them as of the 18 or 19 Odyssey. The Odyssey forums are full of complaints and in magazine reviews, the tranny gets more attention than the van itself.

No, my expressway vibration is not fixed. That’s the only thing that remains from keeping my car spectacular. I see a pattern here. Like the timing belt and ZF9 above, I’m sure one supplier provided some rear diffs out of spec subject to imbalance vibration. Most are good. Some are not. I still hope to someday see EE4Life post TSB 19-XXX titled “highway vibration” to fix it. But given the choice, I’d take my annoying vibration over shredding a timing belt, gasoline in my oil, or oil seeping past my rings and fouling my plugs.

Like I said, I can’t believe ANY of these issues are being discussed regarding Honda Motor Co. vehicles. It’s quite honestly and simply not their reputation and pedigree.

CheeseyPoofs McNut 04-13-2019 08:13 AM

One thing to note - the *vast* majority of people who have a car won't run to an online forum to declare how trouble-free their car has been, but a handful of people who have troubles will. That's not to say real problems don't exist, or to disparage those who have them, but rather to say that you can't completely gauge the reliability of a car based upon the online forums. I think it's a great place to do research and to see what types of issues you might have to deal with - but I would never not buy a car based on that.

justnspace 04-13-2019 08:21 AM

i get upset when i rush and buy the wrong sized pants. cant even imagine getting a car that doesn't fit

never rush when buying pants, however, your mileage may vary. :smirk:

Midnight Mystery 04-13-2019 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16410956)
i get upset when i rush and buy the wrong sized pants. cant even imagine getting a car that doesn't fit

:bored:

never rush when buying pants, however, your mileage may vary. :smirk:
Joke execution : Failed... Unless you mean how may miles are in your pants... :pervert:

Nedmundo 04-15-2019 10:25 AM

I generally avoid first-year models, but I wouldn't be worried about Honda's turbo engines, largely because more highly-stressed variants have been on the road for a couple of years in the Civic Type R and NSX, and of course there are tons of 2.0T engines on the roads in the Accord and RDX. I have no clue whether the TLX's V6T is going to be related to the NSX's engine, but at least the latter has given Honda some experience with a high-performance V6T, and those lessons should help produce a very reliable mainstream V6T.

Plus, it's not as though turbocharging is new, exotic technology.

F23A4 04-15-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16410483)
:werd: never buy the first year.

:nod: That’s always been my rule of thumb when purchasing a vehicle, and an even bigger driver of how I buy used vehicles.

mapleloaf 04-19-2019 01:03 AM

Perhaps the point is that turbos will likely not be as reliable or long lasting as NA engines. I know that forum members tend to love the turbo torque, but if you are into HP, the 3.5 and the 2.4 are very reliable engines. For those that want good power, it's heard to argue with the smoothness of the 3.5 engine. I drove a loaner 3.5 SH-AWD the other day when my 2.4 was in for swapping out my winter tires, and was reminded how smooth and quick that engine is. I also felt that the transmission on the 19 loaner was substantially better and more than sufficient to meet my driving needs, compared to my 2015 TLX 3.5 tranny. Not as quick shifting as my 8 DCT, but smooth shifting nevertheless. For passing, I didn't notice any appreciable lag when downshifting to accelerate, nor did I notice any vibration at higher speeds.

CheeseyPoofs McNut 04-19-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf (Post 16413629)
Perhaps the point is that turbos will likely not be as reliable or long lasting as NA engines.

Good point - but in reality how many of us will keep a car long enough to worry about the long term reliability?

fiatlux 04-19-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut (Post 16413665)
Good point - but in reality how many of us will keep a car long enough to worry about the long term reliability?

Isn't a big part of the reason people buy Acuras over BMW/Audi/Mercedes is that you *can* keep the car for a long time without worrying about reliability? Well, that and the price.

csmeance 04-19-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mak P (Post 16410166)
Cause right now my mom new 2018 Accord is having gas smell, oil issues with the 1.5. Only 6 months like 4k miles. I look at their boards and my god the CRV and Civic has issues as well. Does honda give a damn of course not. I remember so many people had issues with the 4g TL excessive oil use and Acura took forever to address it

Now the vibration is one thing but engine issues is not a game at all

The fuel in oil issues is occurring due to very cold temps allowing for oil dilution during cold starts. As far as I know, Honda is working on a software fix for it and may implement a hardware fix in the future. Honda/Acura certainly care about their customers. 4G TL's have been having issues with electric power steering and acura extended the warranty to 15 years TODAY! BMW would have made you sue them (N63 lawsuit anyone?) for a fix.

The 4G TL and MDX 3.7 oil burning issues literally took acura engineering quite a while to figure out the issue! First they started replacing whole engines, then only heads, and then came to the conclusion it was the rings that were faulty. If you were in honda/Acura shoes I doubt you or others would have done it differently.

fiatlux 04-19-2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 16413787)
Honda/Acura certainly care about their customers. 4G TL's have been having issues with electric power steering and acura extended the warranty to 15 years TODAY! BMW would have made you sue them (N63 lawsuit anyone?) for a fix.

They sure have a funny way of showing it. They only recently settled on the CRV vibration issue after a class action lawsuit was filed, there was the transmission class action from the early 2000s, the paint class action a few years later, and the J35 oil burning lawsuit circa 2012. None of that would have happened if not for the lawsuits.

booster 04-29-2019 03:24 PM

Turbo charged motors being unreliable is a myth.
There have been plenty manufacturers producing turbo charged engines with excellent reliability for years. 90% of all trucks and heavy machinery is turbocharged.
Subaru and Mitsu are leading the pack. I had an Eagle Talon back in the day (Mitsu 2l turbo engine), with the boost turned up to 18psi on stock turbo/motor. I sold the car with 300k on original everything, never burned any oil, or left me stranded.
Turbo charged motors are less forgiving to neglect, and I think this is where most owners get into trouble.

SuperHandlingTL 04-29-2019 04:00 PM

I’m actually not worried about it really. The 2.0t has been solid so far with minor issues. The 3.0t.....they’re taking their time on this engine which is part of the reason fo the delay.

The next gen TLX will be offered as follows:
- 272hp 2.0t/10AT FWD
- 272hp 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 365hp+ 3.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S

There will also be a 2.0t FWD hybrid that should surface at this cars refresh in a few years. No manual, so stop asking. A big step up in overall design, interior materials, feature content, build quality, paint quality etc etc. The A-Spec and the Type-S will get their own styling cues with of course the Type-S being the most aggressive. Also, the S will get massive 6 piston Brembo’s up front. The platform is no longer Accord based as the TLX will debut an all new Acura exclusive sedan platform with the return of double wishbones on the front end. I think we’ll be overly pleased.

fiatlux 04-29-2019 05:36 PM

Where are you getting this information from?

SuperHandlingTL 04-29-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16418636)
Where are you getting this information from?

Just know that its factual information. That’s all I can say.

Speed_Racer 04-29-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL (Post 16418653)
Just know that its factual information. That’s all I can say.

Weren't you the one saying this was all coming in the 2020 model? The trims are easy to guess because of the RDX. The rest I'll believe it when I see it.

hondu 04-29-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16410937)
Honda builds great turbo engines... That's for sure, but the gas leaking into thr oil is very odd, and must be difficult to diagnose... I'm sure the source will be discovered one day soon...

However, the old K23A1 from the 1G RDX is bulletproof!

I have 249K miles on mine and it still runs like new!

It is very common on all DI engines. Just read some Audi owners manuals, they explicitly say you will get fuel dilution if you make very short trips and don’t get the engine up to operating temperature. The thing is that even with the fuel dilution for the 1.5L, on almost every used oil analysis I’ve seen, the wear numbers all still look very good.

SuperHandlingTL 04-29-2019 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16418657)
Weren't you the one saying this was all coming in the 2020 model? The trims are easy to guess because of the RDX. The rest I'll believe it when I see it.

That was the original plan until they ran into some cooling issues with the V6t. Also that ran with their current 5 year model cycle. I’m glad they’re taking their time.

a35tl 04-29-2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL (Post 16418722)
That was the original plan until they ran into some cooling issues with the V6t. Also that ran with their current 5 year model cycle. I’m glad they’re taking their time.

It's a bit frustrating that it's taking a year longer than expected but like you, I would rather Acura wait a year and get the formula right instead of rushing it to market and ending up with many dissatisfied customers over quality issues. They've been there and done that and lots of those lost customers never return.

SuperHandlingTL 04-29-2019 11:35 PM

I also know they’re going to debut a 48 volt, mild hybrid setup with the 3.0t but I’m not sure if all vehicles with the 3.0t will get it or if certain models will get it. If you’re unfamiliar with this system, check out the Mercedes CLS 53AMG or the Mercedes E53AMG coupe.

Tony Pac 04-30-2019 06:15 AM

It’s always funny to see most of these posts are coming from people that they don’t even own an Acura. For example, I read people posting “should I be worried to buy a RDX? I heard this and that” hahah

It just makes me laugh... making assumptions and creating threads for the sake of creating one just doesn’t help real owners. It’ just information overload.

SuperHandlingTL 04-30-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16418797)
It’s always funny to see most of these posts are coming from people that they don’t even own an Acura. For example, I read people posting “should I be worried to buy a RDX? I heard this and that” hahah

It just makes me laugh... making assumptions and creating threads for the sake of creating one just doesn’t help real owners. It’ just information overload.

Yeah, you cant base the 3.0t’s predicted reliability off other Honda engines. In regards to information, what I present is fairy solid info which is why Honda investigate me last November.

mlody 05-08-2019 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16413766)
Isn't a big part of the reason people buy Acuras over BMW/Audi/Mercedes is that you *can* keep the car for a long time without worrying about reliability? Well, that and the price.

That is true, but even if Honda were to start falling apart at 100k that would still put them ahead by 50k miles compared to any German cars and still saved you tons of money on maintenance. Now I keep hearing that Audi's with Acura Watch equivalent tech require wheel alignment that cost upwards of 800-$1000 because of the stupidly over engineered tech that those cars have. While Acura's reliability might be slipping, they still cost far less to maintain that Germans and for sure they are far easier for the pockets to keep long term.