When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I open my sunroof every chance I get. Of course I love my Miata with the top down, and if I can't put the top down, I don't drive it. Im not tall so headroom means nothing to me. Nonsunroof is a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Well I just watched the CTS reveal and must say it is a nice car, sweet looking inside and out. Acura really has a lot of competition they need to step up big time.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Maybe it is me, but I never use mine and would rather have extra headroom and save a few bucks on the sunroof.
Me too.

With the a 2G Integra having owned for 12 years, I had used the sunroof for about 2 dozen times. With the 2G TL having owned for 10 years, I had used the sunroof for less than 5 times. With the 4G TL I have owned since Sept 2011, I have not used the sunroof for even 1 single occasion.

I prefer that Honda/Acura makes the sunroof as a standalone option, so I could save maybe 1 grand from the MSRP for something I don't need or use, as well as getting more protection from having sheet metal, rather than glass, right above my head.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I hope Acura doesn't think that just adding an X at the end is going to bring in more sales. Hopefully they do something with the exterior.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 AM
! deadmau5 !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Just googled "acura tlx concept" and saw this:

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictur...ry-1#100388970
Wow ... Awful! Looks like a bad copy of a Hyundai mixed with a Transformer robo-toy!

Although Acura is not known for copying other companies' styling cues, it's possible to do this (make a major change) the right way. Hint -- look at what the worldwide version of the next Accord is. That will be the TSX in this country, or, with some mods, the "TLX". Those mods will be the styling cues that come out of their California design department for American-only changes.

But Acuras will also begin production in China for their domestic market, so look for things that can translate, too. And in China, that would mean a clear styling class distinction from Hondas. Not as simple as putting a Buick badge on a Chevy, or a Lexus badge on a Toyota.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

I actually like it, especially if you can imagine the final product with the exaggerated lines toned down it has much more potential than the 4G. I actually like the tail treatment and lighting.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I think if they "tone down" the front end of the concept they would have a winner if it's priced right. As it stands the front is uglier than the 4g when it first came out IMO. Then again the 5g may look nothing like this at all.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
If you believe this supposedly-leaked Q50 order guide, here's, at least package-wise, what the TLX could be going up against :

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-hd...leaked-1080p-1
small detail.. but looks like there is a headlights "option".. this is where Acura wins always.. Standard HIDs. I don't know why the other luxury companies don't do this. Granted, it's only a few hundred dollar aftermarket mod, but a luxury car at 35K or more, should have standard HIDs. the BMW 5 series and EClass are both near 50K cars, also no standard HIDs. Acura always gives more bang for you buck when it comes to these little standard features.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by deepen03
small detail.. but looks like there is a headlights "option".. this is where Acura wins always.. Standard HIDs. I don't know why the other luxury companies don't do this. Granted, it's only a few hundred dollar aftermarket mod, but a luxury car at 35K or more, should have standard HIDs. the BMW 5 series and EClass are both near 50K cars, also no standard HIDs. Acura always gives more bang for you buck when it comes to these little standard features.

Not on the RDX, they only give you HIDs with Tech package, Honda has implemented some serious cost cutting. And double wishbone is gone now too.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I'm looking at the pics of the new 2014 MDX and it's essentially the 2013, only more bland. Doing that same thing to the TL will not be a good thing for Acura.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2...-mdx-new-york/
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveA2012
So I'm looking at the pics of the new 2014 MDX and it's essentially the 2013, only more bland. Doing that same thing to the TL will not be a good thing for Acura.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2...-mdx-new-york/
I was also looking at 2014 MDX a little while ago and while it doesn’t look bad, like you said it looks for the most part unchanged.

A few things I don’t get. Why did they get rid of the driving lights, while I understand that the headlights are new and improved, I happen to like the way the driving lights looked.

They cut the HP by 10 to 290. Yes the MPG improved, and granted it’s only a 10 HP cut, but The MDX was always performance oriented so I don’t get this move.

Finally, IMO the wheels suck…

I just hope that some of these ideas don’t find their way to the TLX. Acura please wake up!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

They cut the HP by 10 to 290. Yes the MPG improved, and granted it’s only a 10 HP cut, but The MDX was always performance oriented so I don’t get this move.
IMO, HP is in modern luxury cars, the TL and its competitors especially, is sufficient. There is a tipping point for HP after which it becomes less and less relevant and perhaps redundant. I'll leave alone the debate on HP for SUVs or "performance SUVs" for that matter. If I am thrill seeking, I won't go out looking for it in an SUV or a luxury sedan for so many reasons the least of which is respect for the laws of physics and ultimately safety.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by 614Banker
IMO, HP is in modern luxury cars, the TL and its competitors especially, is sufficient. There is a tipping point for HP after which it becomes less and less relevant and perhaps redundant. I'll leave alone the debate on HP for SUVs or "performance SUVs" for that matter. If I am thrill seeking, I won't go out looking for it in an SUV or a luxury sedan for so many reasons the least of which is respect for the laws of physics and ultimately safety.
If I was only thrill seeking I also wouldn’t search for a performance oriented SUV. But if I needed an SUV and didn’t want to lose the performance feel the MDX was a good place to start. So I didn’t understand the HP cut, I know HP isn’t everything but it just didn’t make sense to me.

We had an MDX from 2008 to 2011 and that SUV cornered better than most cars on the road, the handling was very confidence inspiring.

Of course it has a higher center of gravity than a car, but not once in 3 years did I ever feel that the laws of physics were going to make it roll and I was jeopardizing not only mine, but more importantly someone elses safety on the road.

But as we all know, as with anything you drive you also have to know your limits and not drive like an a-hole because if you do it will eventually bite you in the a$$.

While I can respect your opinion, IMO I bet that if your drove an E63, M5 or CTS-V one of those would change your mind in regards to not seeking thrills in a sedan...

Just my
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

OK so the MDX reveal pretty much now shows where the TLX is headed, no exhaust tips, same dash design as the RLX/MDX, etc. So the variable now will be:

- SH-AWD will the TLX have it or SH-SH-AWD?
- Will they carry the jewel headlights like the MDX and RLX?
- How much of the tech will trickle down? The Q50 will basically have all the same Tech available as the RLX so if Acura dumbs down the tech to accord levels they will loss customers. If they trickle it all into the TLX then they need to be careful that they don't pull a 4G again where the 4G made the RL fairly irrelevant. The trick here is make the TLX more sporty, but somehow I don't think they will do that.

I also don't dig the exposed cup holders. I prefer the current TL approach and like my M, hide them and/or cover them until needed.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
And now we have an idea of the pricing the TLX may be competing against in the Q50 :

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2...i-q50-pricing/
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
The weight of the vehicle also dropped by something like 250-270 pounds from what I recall.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

And now we have an idea of the pricing the TLX may be competing against in the Q50 :

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2...i-q50-pricing/
So a fully loaded RWD Q50 Sport with all the options is $50K and the loaded hybrid 354HP is just over $52K. Now if Acura did the TLX with all the same Tech and SH-AWD were in those price points then I would be interested. The Q50 is going to be a hot car for some time. I have to hand it to Infiniti they are on a roll. As much as I want to come back to Acura I am really struggling. While I know the M37 styling is a turn off to some, I love the styling and ride, the few things that annoy me I have grown mostly accustomed to. To be honest they have been calling me for over 2 months to entice me into a new M. Problem is they can never find me a M37 Sport with technology package, had they found that in my color I would have probably done another M. The MDX and RLX pretty much show where the TLX is headed, very conservative styling, no exhaust tips, fairly bland interior.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I think the MDX/RLX give us some clues, but I'd bet there is much that will surprise us. For example, I doubt the TLX will be as conservative looking (but to my eye, still stylish) as the RLX. They are intended for two somewhat overlapping but still distinct markets.

Our TLs are great cars. Acura didn't suddenly forget how to build great cars in the period since 2009-10.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I think Acura is hoping we don't notice that all they are doing with their new cars is catching up with the competition, but ignoring that those of us with sporting intentions want a rear drive platform and not just a me too.

The new RLX is a perfect example. To buy one with ventilated seats (a must for me in Houston) I have to buy a 61,000 RLX. For $10,000 less I can buy the new GS350 with decent equipment and ventilated seats, or I can start working my way up with the technology and F-Sport options and still come in for less money than the RLX AND have RWD.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

A comparably equipped M37 or M37S runs around what a loaded RLX runs $61-63K, and you get 330HP, RWD, and basically all the same tech and the main advantage the RLX has at that point is Krell and slightly better MPG. And Infiniti is discounting their M $4-5K right now so let's see what happens with the RLX. Haveing test driven the RLX the real world advantages I would give it are build quality, quieter cabin. The M37 advantages, having owned one for 3 years for me are More engaging ride, better handling, more luxurious (IMO) styling inside and out, and the interior materials fell a tad better.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
All the new Acura lineup have hidden exhausts now. I hope the TLX is the exception. But from the trend we're seeing, it doesn't look like it. No beuno. I think the 3G for it's time had the sexiest exhaust tips. It integrated well with the rear bumper and really set an example for other manufacturers to follow. It's a sexy car; only turn off for me was no AWD. I can't drive without it now unless I have a weekend car but I'm not as fortunate. I think we'll see the Jewel LED headlights ( the spider eyes) and if the MDX and RDX interior is any indication, we'll see a very similar layout as well and also the exterior. They gotta get the TLX right though, this is their bread and butter! I think SH-AWD and a 6 speed MT will still be offered. Almost every gen had at least a MT. All we can do is speculate!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
^^ The MDX is actually Acura's "bread and butter" and i think they nailed it this time around. Hope the TLX follows suit.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

The weight of the vehicle also dropped by something like 250-270 pounds from what I recall.
That would be a nice weight savings, I must have missed that.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm and sure the MDX interior will be the same for the TL. BLAND! No dual exhaust. I think I own my last Acura Even the start button looks cheaper than the button on my 2009. Looks like I will be leasing a BMW coupe, cuz I dam sure aint buying one.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander.
^^ The MDX is actually Acura's "bread and butter" and i think they nailed it this time around. Hope the TLX follows suit.
I beg to differ. There are a lot more TL owners than there are MDX owners and it's not even close. True, the MDX has been outselling the TL more recently but Acura knows the TL is their "money maker" IMO.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Racer

^^ Look up the sales, the MDX has been #1 for acura in the past few years and accounts for ONE THIRD of all acura sales.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ Look up the sales, the MDX has been #1 for acura in the past few years and accounts for ONE THIRD of all acura sales.
No need to, the TL has been around a lot longer than the MDX and have sold more than the MDX if you take into account the total sales of both cars since their inception. There's no debating the MDX has outsold the TL the past few years though. BTW, the TL is second only to the 3 series as the number #1 selling sports sedan in US history.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
No need to, the TL has been around a lot longer than the MDX and have sold more than the MDX if you take into account the total sales of both cars since their inception. There's no debating the MDX has outsold the TL the past few years though. BTW, the TL is second only to the 3 series as the number #1 selling sports sedan in US history.
They will not keep that place if they keep selling at current rate. 7 year old G37 far outsells TL.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Considering the first TL was released in 1996 compared to the MDX in 2001, four generations versus two, this is not a valid comparison. If you look at the facts, the MDX is currently acura's "bread and butter", period.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Considering the first TL was released in 1996 compared to the MDX in 2001, four generations versus two, this is not a valid comparison. If you look at the facts, the MDX is currently acura's "bread and butter", period.
The TL will always be Acura's bread and butter...In My Opinion. If you ask anyone, most will tell you the same. The TL...end of story. It's been around a lot longer and the "TL" is synonymous with Acura. When people think Acura, TL pops up right away (although that will change on the 5G). I don't need sales figures to tell me that. Here's just one example: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/09/2...ago-auto-show/ read the first sentence.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
2G TLX-S

Both the TL and the MDX are Acura's "bread and butter" vehicles in the two vastly different vehicle categories.

The TL being the "bread and butter" sedan, and the MDX being the "bread and butter" SUV.

Depending on the auto sales trend, if auto buyers are continuing to shift away from sedan to SUV, then the MDX will have more sales.

On the other hand, if auto buyers are coming back to sedan from SUV, then the TL will have more sales.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ AGREED!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Proud Acura Owner

if the TL and TSX are telling.. the TLX will have huge sales.. Acura just needs to hit that pricing sweet spot.. the ideal thing to do would be to keep the TSX going and lower the price to 29K, and make the TLX start at 34K for a 2WD, and around 38K for SH-AWD. After dropping the TL of course.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

TSX will die at some point, I supect they will do the following:

ILX gets 2.4 ED engine in say the tech car and price creeps upward a bit

Maybe they keep the TSX for an overlap year

TLX starts with 2.4 ED in base car starting around $36K
TLX Hybrid I4 maybe??
TLX tech gets V6 ED with maybe a I4 ED
TLX V6 advance I am guessing around $44
TLX SH-AWD V6 in base/tech and advance topping out around $48K-50K

maybe a TLX SH-SH-AWD in advance trim only this would be around $52-$55K not sure if they will put Krell in, but I suspect the ELS Studio will make it.

The problem with all this is too many models. But let's come back in 12 months and see if I am even in the ball park.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 AM
2G TLX-S

A coupe too ???
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
TSX will die at some point, I supect they will do the following:

ILX gets 2.4 ED engine in say the tech car and price creeps upward a bit

Maybe they keep the TSX for an overlap year

TLX starts with 2.4 ED in base car starting around $36K
TLX Hybrid I4 maybe??
TLX tech gets V6 ED with maybe a I4 ED
TLX V6 advance I am guessing around $44
TLX SH-AWD V6 in base/tech and advance topping out around $48K-50K

maybe a TLX SH-SH-AWD in advance trim only this would be around $52-$55K not sure if they will put Krell in, but I suspect the ELS Studio will make it.

The problem with all this is too many models. But let's come back in 12 months and see if I am even in the ball park.
If they built a TLX I4 Advance with 30 mpg I'd buy it. But sadly I doubt they will, I'll have to get a V6, spend more money for power I seldom use, and settle for low 20's mpg.

Wouldn't a 2-dr Coupe TLX be great? That might bring some excitement to the Acura sales lot.

I don't see the TSX sticking around. Honda recently admitted they lose money on every car they import from Japan. So they will want to end that as soon as they can.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man

I don't see the TSX sticking around. Honda recently admitted they lose money on every car they import from Japan. So they will want to end that as soon as they can.
True, but I think until the ILX takes hold and the TLX is out the TSX will stick around maybe for some overlap . But yes sadly the TSX is doomed to extinction. It is a shame my gf loves her TSX only thing she wants is push button start.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Proud Acura Owner

True, but I think until the ILX takes hold and the TLX is out the TSX will stick around maybe for some overlap . But yes sadly the TSX is doomed to extinction. It is a shame my gf loves her TSX only thing she wants is push button start.
I really do hope Acura pulls a trick out of their bag and keeps the TSX, it still fits their "X" name scheme lol. A lineup of an ILX,TSX,TLX,MDX,RDX,RLX is great. and it keeps us in competition with Audi and Lexus based on model choices.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by deepen03
I really do hope Acura pulls a trick out of their bag and keeps the TSX, it still fits their "X" name scheme lol. A lineup of an ILX,TSX,TLX,MDX,RDX,RLX is great. and it keeps us in competition with Audi and Lexus based on model choices.
Honestly I don't they will as it is their naming convention makes no sense, just a random collection of letters. How does know from naming that a RLX is better than a TLX or ILX or that RDX and MDX are SUVs?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly I don't they will as it is their naming convention makes no sense, just a random collection of letters. How does know from naming that a RLX is better than a TLX or ILX or that RDX and MDX are SUVs?
I've been trying to find this for a while but TL meant touring luxury, ILX-Intro Luxury, RLX-Refined luxury. Idk about RDX. Maybe since I'm a tech geek the naming makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?