When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TLX has alot of potential. They use the 2.4 engine in the base TLX and offer it around $33~34K. Then they could use their 3.5 liter direct injected engine from the RLX rated at 310hp with PAWS for good handling and good gas mileage since the RLX achieves 31mpg in the highway with their new VCM system. Then, lastly, they could offer their SH-AWD as their performance model that has at least 310hp and their 7 speed DCT.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

she's f@#$n' sexy. And the cars not bad looking either.

Last edited by Litt; 01-07-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
That concept is hawt - like a camry and sonata mated. If the TLX looks anything like that and has the specs right sign me up
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I'd like to say they're both ugly, but being fair to the girl shes not that bad.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
You guys can't serious about liking that transformer concept, what an awful mess it looks like it was designed by a committee and everyone got to add a line or ductwhere they wanted. If the TLX looks anything like that count me out.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
That concept is hawt - like a camry and sonata mated. If the TLX looks anything like that and has the specs right sign me up
A mated Camry and Sonata isnt my idea of a good idea for what is likely to be the primary luxury sports sedan for Acura moving forward...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
A mated Camry and Sonata isnt my idea of a good idea for what is likely to be the primary luxury sports sedan for Acura moving forward...
Well, you know what they say, opinions and aholes, we've all got 'em...

Fact is, Honda is looking at what's selling

I like it
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Drifting

I also agree that the Camry nor Sonata are vehicles I'd like my TL to resemble. If I wanted either of those aesthetics I'd just get a Camry or Sonata; Acura needs to raise the bar, because consumers in general are not going to lower their standards. I'm also probably in the minority of people that love the 09-11' body, it's dramatic, like nothing else on the rode, but that concept above belongs in a child's imagination not in an Ohio factory.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 01-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm sure the concept is bound to be calmed down or smoothed out. The grill is obviously flat plastic too.

Sonata copied Mercedes Benz CLS. The the Camry and Accord are competitors so there is bound to be some similarity there.

I think the above concept is somewhat unique. As unique as any 3 box design can be in the modern safety standards world we live in. I don't see the camry resemblance myself, Camry is all rounded, bulbous and gross.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Chief Excellence Liason

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I'm probably in the minority of people that love the 09-11' body, it's dramatic, like nothing else on the rode, but that concept above belongs in a child's imagination not in an Ohio factory.
Ditto. I was sad when they 86'd the guillotine beak grille on the TL...it's a real head turner.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
they better release it this summer or fall, b/c Acura's February sales numbers were atrocious, except for the RDX, which continues to be the GEM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I also agree that the Camry nor Sonata are vehicles I'd like my TL to resemble. If I wanted either of those aesthetics I'd just get a Camry or Sonata; Acura needs to raise the bar, because consumers in general are not going to lower their standards. I'm also probably in the minority of people that love the 09-11' body, it's dramatic, like nothing else on the rode, but that concept above belongs in a child's imagination not in an Ohio factory.
Originally Posted by FireAtWill
Ditto. I was sad when they 86'd the guillotine beak grille on the TL...it's a real head turner.

I agree, like it or not the 09-11 will never be mistaken for anything else on the road. I like the aggressive look compared to a lot of the other plain looking sedans that are out there.

I also like the grill so I guess I’m in the minority too.And that’s fine with me. To each his own.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
The current TL (4G) is aging very well and its amazing how many nay sayers when it came out are now in love with it. I was against the design the 1st year but by 2010, I had come to love the design and why I own one now. I hope Acura will launch a sexy design. I wouldn't too offended it they had a slightly "blander" design because quite frankly, after the harsh critics they received when the 4G came out, I doubt they will risk going too far on the "unique design". Keep in mind that the 5G (or 1g TLX) has been in the works for a few years now....Its only recently that people are warming up to the design
The following users liked this post:
birdy*feet (03-25-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I was at the dealer checking out the new RLX, the manger did mention more news will be announced late 3rd quarter. He also mentioned, a show room model will be present 4th quarter or early 2014. I take his word as somewhat credible, but then again feel free to put him on blast, Center Acura in LA.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Its to be expected that most of the people here like the 4G looks, they went out & bought them because of the distinctive look. The problem for Acura is its a look that has a limited appeal & not something you want to do, from a car company point of view, when you are trying to sell a mass market car.

You need a pretty high price tag to support the kind of volume the 4G is generating. That being said they might be swinging back to far the other way based on the RLX look.

Really like the NSX prototype but don't see the look so far transitioning into the main product line. Other though I don't see how people are warming up to the 4G when the last two months sales were down big time from same months the prior year.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-07-2013 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Danyoung (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Any news when Acura will premier the TLX concept/production sedan and in which national auto show ?

Until then, it'll be a while for the TLX or 5G TL to materialize.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its to be expected that most of the people here like the 4G looks, they went out & bought them because of the distinctive look. The problem for Acura is its a look that has a limited appeal & not something you want to do, from a car company point of view, when you are trying to sell a mass market car.

You need a pretty high price tag to support the kind of volume the 4G is generating. That being said they might be swinging back to far the other way based on the RLX look.

Really like the NSX prototype but don't see the look so far transitioning into the main product line. Other though I don't see how people are warming up to the 4G when the last two months sales were down big time from same months the prior year.
I point fingers at Vossen as I started seeing more 4G TL's after a few of their videos were released. The last two times I went in for an oil change and saw 3 TL's with CV3s and CV2s.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Danyoung
I was at the dealer checking out the new RLX, the manager did mention more news will be announced late 3rd quarter. He also mentioned, a show room model will be present 4th quarter or early 2014. I take his word as somewhat credible, but then again feel free to put him on blast, Center Acura in LA.
This jives with what I've been told ... a 2015 TLX on sale in March 2014.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Any news when Acura will premier the TLX concept/production sedan and in which national auto show ?

Until then, it'll be a while for the TLX or 5G TL to materialize.
It think we'll start to see/hear more about it once the new MDX is rolled out. They're focused on the RLX at the moment, the MDX is coming this summer, and the TLX will take the spotlight after that. Perhaps the LA Auto Show????

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-24-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

^^ Good point^^. I just hope they don’t go too far in the other direction and make it look too bland.

I agree with weather, I also wouldn’t mind if the new TL had a slightly blander design, especially if it would help it appeal to the masses.

Certainly none of us want to see the TL go away but IMO Acura can’t and won’t keep carrying it if it’s numbers don’t improve.

As far as the sales being low the first two months of this year compared to the same time period the previous two years.

IMO this could be because people are waiting for info on the 5G and not pulling the trigger on a 4G until they are 100% sure the 5G is a year or so away.

Several forum members in other threads have even mentioned that they have been considering a 4G because of the discounting but have held off to make sure that a 5G isn’t 3-6 months away.

I feel Acura is really “shooting themselves in the foot” holding off the 5G as long as they have.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
I was at the dealer the other day

They said the Ilx will be getting the tsx motor
And the tlx will come into the picture in late 2013 while the tsx is still being sold and they may continue a small run of 2014 tsx's as well
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

I was at the dealer the other and although I am still very skeptical, I heard from them that the TLX will be released late this fall as a 2014 model. I just can't see how this can happen but that is what I was told. I told them we haven't seen any spy pics (camo), no car show prototype etc. He said we'd likely see some spy pics shortly and a car show in the fall will show the concept with a rapid "production" car late this fall (maybe November). I am still going with my gut that a 2014 TL will be a short life production and that the 2015 TL will be out in the spring of 2014.....but he says that there will not be a 2014 TL. Interesting.....
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I would be shocked as well as we have seen spy shots of the new Genesis sedan and that is due late fall or early 14 so I find it hard to believe Honda has not taken a TLX on the road yet with less than 9 months before they would release it? Would be interesting. Either way at this point I kind of screwed since my lease is up in September, even if I extend a few months the TLX will be rare first few months and who know what variations of AWD they will release and when.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
The 2014 TL will be exactly the same as the current 2013, save a color or two.

2014 however will be a shorter model year, and by this time next year you will see at least the "prototype" version of the TLX just like you see the new 2014 MDX now, with a quick to follow production car as a 2015 for the summer.

In the meantime, the TL remains an incredible car and the programs/incentives on them now are outstanding.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ That is EXACTLY how I would have expected the TLX to unfold. The visit to the dealership is what prompted me to share what I heard but I feel that the sales manager may have the information a bit "off"....Actually, I am ambivalent on the issue as I am not getting rid of my 2012 TL until next spring anyway so for me, it has no real impact.

I am not just waiting to see the vehicle at the auto shows (or spy pics) to determine whether this will be my next set of wheels or should I satrt visiting the Lexus/Infiniti/BMW/Audi dealers.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If the TLX is delayed past summer 2014, I'll likely be driving an Infiniti Q50 by then.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by n-spring
If the TLX is delayed past summer 2014, I'll likely be driving an Infiniti Q50 by then.
This is where I'm leaning towards right now - except I'd like to have some info about the TLX and its styling by this summer. A lot more info about the Q50 should be available at the NY Auto Show in the next week or two (hopefully including pricing). I had been leaning toward the ATS, but too many compromises has me looking at the Q50.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
This is where I'm leaning towards right now - except I'd like to have some info about the TLX and its styling by this summer. A lot more info about the Q50 should be available at the NY Auto Show in the next week or two (hopefully including pricing). I had been leaning toward the ATS, but too many compromises has me looking at the Q50.
I sat in the ATS at the ATL show and it was nice, but could not get a real comfortable seating position, also some of the materials felt cheap. Q50 looks interesting, but having an M now I can say Infiniti electronics are a weak point, hopefully on the Q50 they have improved.

There is so much up in the air with the TLX, will they cheapen it to prevent it from overlapping the RLX? They got a lot of crap when the 4G TL came out because there was no reason to buy a RL as the TL had more HP, same SH-AWD, actually more room and was less expensive, yet was built very well. If they bring it too far down to fill the TSX void they would have to have too many models to go from a $35K FWD to a $50K AWD and then will they do SH-SH-AWD? or will they keep the same SH-AWD? If they offer SH-SH-AWD how can they do that for under $50K and still cram it with tech? I get suspicious that the TLX will not have all the same tech of a RLX, I think they might give it the Accord versions, which means lane watch, collision warning and lane warning and LED projectors not the LED jewel headlights. I have a feeling the active blind spot, collision and lane assist will not make it into the TLX. It would be nice to see a prototype this week in NY to give us a clue, might help me decide to pull the trigger on a 4G or not as I have a decent deal on the table for a 4G AWD Advance I am itching to decide on.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I agree to an extent but unless they make the TLX really stand out from the Accord, what would make anyone buy an Acura? One can forgive the current TL given that its at the end of its life cycle, but with a model refresh, they must make that vehicle stand out, not just in a stylistic way, but also in a technical way. Acura can not afford to miss the mark on this TLX and they already know the RLX will not be a hot seller, very few flagship are so just focus your energy and your sale figure on the TLX....That is where it will really matter!

My 2 cents

Otherwise....IS350 (F), Audi S5, Infiniti Q50 or BMW 4 series, here I come
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
If you believe this supposedly-leaked Q50 order guide, here's, at least package-wise, what the TLX could be going up against :

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-hd...leaked-1080p-1
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
If you believe this supposedly-leaked Q50 order guide, here's, at least package-wise, what the TLX could be going up against :

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-hd...leaked-1080p-1
WOW they really look to be offering all the latest tech in the Q50! I have the itch bad, but I may just ride out my lease for the next 6 months and see what the Q50 looks like and see if Acura leaks anything by then. The TLX will need to offer similar tech or thy will never regain the glory of the 3G days.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing that bugged me about the G37 is that the sunroof didn't come standard..thats a must for me. Looks like the Q50 is the same. All TL's get it standard
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Looks like the Q will have lots of electronic features (including a lot of "nanny" items), but at least the page shown does not emphasize sound systems at all. I wonder what's in store there.

While a lot of these items/options are increasingly must haves for a "luxury" car, I'd trade nearly all of them for a world-class sound system.

Should be an interesting couple of years in this segment with the new Q, CTS and TLX coming out in the span of 12-18 months, and a refreshed batch of Lexuses (Lexi?) already out. I hope most of the mfrs will take a hard look at their offerings and move to restore higher quality materials back into their cars (mats, carpeting, door and dash materials, etc.) Nearly every new car I sit in, I marvel at the electronics but am then dismayed at the obvious cost-cutting required to deliver all this gadgetry at a competitive price point. Maybe I'm asking too much.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Looks like the Q will have lots of electronic features (including a lot of "nanny" items), but at least the page shown does not emphasize sound systems at all. I wonder what's in store there.

While a lot of these items/options are increasingly must haves for a "luxury" car, I'd trade nearly all of them for a world-class sound system.

Should be an interesting couple of years in this segment with the new Q, CTS and TLX coming out in the span of 12-18 months, and a refreshed batch of Lexuses (Lexi?) already out. I hope most of the mfrs will take a hard look at their offerings and move to restore higher quality materials back into their cars (mats, carpeting, door and dash materials, etc.) Nearly every new car I sit in, I marvel at the electronics but am then dismayed at the obvious cost-cutting required to deliver all this gadgetry at a competitive price point. Maybe I'm asking too much.
If sound systems sold cars, it is said Infiniti would sell zero G's. Ya' know Bose..no highs no lows. I don't think the sound system in the Q is any different than the G. I really don't care, the sound system has to be "good enough" for my finicky ears. Different strokes for different folks.

They do seem to have the alphabet of nannies along with a class leading hybrid performance power train. Gonna be interesting.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveA2012
One thing that bugged me about the G37 is that the sunroof didn't come standard..thats a must for me. Looks like the Q50 is the same. All TL's get it standard
Not sure what difference that makes being buried in the price or being an add-on that you can leave off if you want.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

You pay for it in the base price. Although it's kind of hard to judge who is getting what as far as the baseline package.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^
The base TL was cheaper than the Base G37 and came with a sunroof
Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^That's my point, it's hard to tell what you get. G came with a more powerful engine. You buy the car you feel is worth it to you.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe it is me, but I never use mine and would rather have extra headroom and save a few bucks on the sunroof.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeithL
Maybe it is me, but I never use mine and would rather have extra headroom and save a few bucks on the sunroof.

You never use it? I rarely open it but often tilt it back.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

You never use it? I rarely open it but often tilt it back.
Yup, in 3 years I think I opened the one on my M once, and I know on some of my TLs I never opened it.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?