What are your top 5 likes for the 2018-19 TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I know I've been grouching about the ZF transmission in my TLX lately. To be honest, it's one of the few things i dislike about my '18 A-Spec and I wrote in a recent post that I was thinking about pushing it over a cliff! However, in reality, it's otherwise a pretty solid car. That prompts me to think of the top five things I most like about the car.

1. Steering wheel. It kind of makes sense that I like the item that I spend the most time touching in the car. I have raved about the steering wheel since I took delivery of the car. I can't get enough of holding it. I'm planning on buying a similar, custom steering wheel for my NSX. Whoever was in charge of steering wheel development for this car deserves an "A". I drive with my hands at 9 and 3 for better steering control. The steering wheel is thicker at that area and is perfectly molded for my long fingers. It's so comfortable to hold. If only it were heated...

2. Apple CarPlay. I no longer have my smartphone connected wirelessly to the car because the latest version of CarPlay works so well. I even let my XM subscription for the car lapse, and I just use XM on my iPhone. Waze is my traffic plan, and Google Maps is my navigation system. Love it! The only thing bad about it is that I can't use it wirelessly, so I don't often get to charge my iPhone wirelessly. Wireless charging does work with my iPhone Xs Max, even through my clear bumper case.

3. Engine power. I know people keep clamoring for more power, me included, but for most driving I find the 290 hp in my V6 TLX is just fine. That's not to say that I wouldn't be UNhappy with 350 hp. I have simply never felt that power was lacking in this car in routine driving. Keep in mind, I have a NSX with the same power, but weighing only 3000 pounds, and I have my CTS-V wagon, which has seemingly endless power. Therefore, for me to say that the TLX's power is "just fine" says something.

4. SH-AWD. Dry handling in this version of SH-AWD is still awesome. Glad to see Hondacura continuing to make improvements on it.

5. The looks. I'm so glad Acura blacked out all the chrome trim. In combination with the shark grey wheels, the car just looks good. I feel no need to upgrade the wheels, something I usually have to do for my daily drivers.

Top five dislikes:

1. The ZF9. I won't go on about it. I want a manual transmission. Yesterday.

2. Auto stop. I hate it when it activates just as I'm shifting into reverse to park. Is it really that much trouble to program it not to activate when trying to reverse. I mean, REALLY? Major hate.

3. Dual screen. Now that I've seen the RDX's single screen setup, it's time for the TLX to adopt the same. I'm used to the dual screen but now recnogize that there's better. However, this is a very minor quibble IMO.

4. Fuel economy. This is a minor quibble, but my lst two Acura products have not come even close to the advertised mileage. Then again, I don't drive like the proverbial grandma.

5. Needs more exterior sound to match the look.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
9SpeedTran (01-03-2019), a35tl (01-01-2019), mapleloaf (01-01-2019), nist7 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 02:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
1. The combination of the solid and reliable 2.4 engine with the 8 speed DCT. No yen for a turbo with this pairing and watching the quick shifts on the tach is satisfying, including downshifting for accelerating. The power is more than adequate, including highway, as my comfortable 900 mile return journey to Minneapolis amply demonstrated, cruising between 75-80 mph with a fuel economy as advertised.
2. Apple Car play - enough said above.
3. Looks, inside and out.
4. Improved dual screen - yes I think the RDX system is cool, but honestly I like the two screens, and having the Car Play screen up above, and the sound system controls below keeps my current needs a touch, voice, or knob push away. It's so out of date that the new Audi 6 has two screens - and it looks great at night
5. The Adaptive Cruise with low speed follow and adaptive high beams are new features from my 2016 Tech and are very much appreciated.

Bonus loves would be the quick heating steering wheel (sorry to our American members), as I hate driving with gloves on in the winter; ELS system, auto seat heating/cooling, walkaway locking, brake hold, and the Alcantara inserts that look good and are neither uber cold or hot as leather can be.

DISLKES
I can't really find a dislike - maybe the occasionally oversensitive front/rear sensors, but it's really not a problem.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Styling of the car. It's a really good looking automobile.
2. I love the all wheel drive and handling. The car is crisp in handling and inspires confidence when pushing the vehicle in various driving situations.
3. Apple Car Play and the sound system.
4. Remote start and the automated climate system.
5. Perhaps my favorite feature/aspect of the car is the brake hold function. It seems minor, but it's an incredible convenience and something I would miss if I moved to another vehicle.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 2.4 A-Spec White w/ Red Leather

Likes-

1. The A-Spec red leather seats. I always loved red leather interiors in the past but always thought I'd grow tired of them for a daily driver. The A-Spec red leather changed my mind. I don't think I can ever do a borng black interior ever again. Not only are the seats sexy but extremely comfortable; the bolstering is perfect and the auto heat/cool works like a charm.

2. 8SDCT with torque converter is a joy to drive. Besides the occasional cold start, the tranny is always smooth, fast, and shifts accordingly. Sport+ shifting reminds me of my high revving days driving my tuned CRX Si.

3. Ride and comfort. I'm coming from a BMW 3 and considered and tested the Alfa Romeo Gulia. While the TLX isn't as nimble and athletic, the ride and comfort of the TLX surpassed the sportier counterparts.

4. A-Spec exterior styling is just perfect. From the dark chrome trimmed grill, the piano black accents, the dual 4" tips, to the wheels, everything is done right. The wheels are also a perfect shade of grey rather than black and make the car look dropped even when it isn't.

5. Dual screen performance improvements and Android Auto/Car Play really make up for not having the newer larger tablet style screen.

Dislikes-

1. The dual screen resolution is 800x640. Nuff said.

2. Lack of red brake calipers. Perhaps the only thing missing from the A-Spec styling. Covers are ugly so I guess I'll leave the calipers alone.

3. Lack of radar camera found only in the advance package.

4. Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist is pretty stressful to use. I know they are to be used to "assist" instead of having the car steer, brake, and gas for you but I feel more at ease driving the car without the help. Not really a negative as I know I'll get more comfortable using these features over time.

5. The red leather seats are so pretty and sexy to look at from the outside that I dont wanna tint the windows. I have to upgrade and pay more for clear ceramic tint.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
1. Sh-awd, after having it would never consider buying this car without it. Just night and day over the FWD variant. Along with that the suspension, not too soft but not hard over the bumps. Maybe the subtle changes to the Aspec AWD version make that much of a difference combined with the sh-awd but this car can power through the the sharp turns with ease way better than the 17 V6 tlx I had
2. Looks, the A-spec trim really is a nice touch. Agree with other poster about the blacked out trim adding to it.
3. MPG, I am not light on the pedal but push 25 with this car which given the weight, driving style and awd is decent. All while running fine on regular gas unlike some other cars I have had that had to have premium or they would knock and ping and idle poorly. I don't mind putting premium in a car but with no noticable difference and the tlx not feeling high performance with or without it there doesn't appear to be a practical reason to use it.
4. Climate control with automatic heated and ventilated (comfortable) seats. No thought and works great.
5. Dual screens. Like having Waze up on the top and not having to toggle off to get to other settings. Still would prefer some more physical buttons for things but steering wheel controls handle the audio fine. Also like the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. Well done.

Dislikes:
1) ZF9 shifting and lack of a physical shift lever.
2) Not enough HP or torque (may just feel that way as a result of the ZF9 though).
3) Auto idle stop.
4) No way to run with just the front led bars with the jewel headlights off in the daytime.

There is more to like than dislike but if they had implemented the trans pairing better the other stuff would be minor. In my 3rd gen my biggest gripe was when first starting the car the navigation warning screen stayed on so long that I would often back up before it switched to the backup camera and the doors would tend to shut on their own if they were not opened to the stops. Would gladly take those negatives over the tlx ones.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Oh, only one USB sucks.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Number one has to be the DCT transmission. It's the next best thing to the manual. I love how it shifts in manual mode when going WOT or downshifting.
2. Fuel economy. Next to my M5 and Pathfinder it sips fuel.
3. Power. I know for some it's under-powered, but this thing moves for a 4 cylinder. Since my TLX has been in the shop, I've been driving a new Mazda 3. Mazda 3 is a smaller car with smaller engine, but the difference in power delivery is massive, Mazda being super slow.
4. Handling. Surprisingly, the TLX is very nimble for a car that is much bigger than it looks. It's both longer and wider than the e39 M5, but it handles just as well, granted I've upgraded to 19" rims and summer tires.
5. Plug and play upgrade of rear bumper to face-lift version with exposed exhaust.
Dislikes
1. Number one has to be the DCT transmission. I hate how it shifts at low speed, it gets confused and the engagement is often delayed.
2. Trunk lid. When you swing it open, it tends to partially fall right back down. I've made the mistake of leaning in too fast and got rewarded by getting smacked on the head with the trunk.
3. Uniqueness or lack of. Everywhere you turn there is one...almost like BMW 3 series and Audi A4.
4. Performance upgrades or lack of. There are literally two things available on the market, suspension and exhaust, that's it.
5. Hidden exhaust. I'm the kind of person that finds exposed exhaust to be sexy.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:20 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
#1 like: This is the last year for this generation which means we'll be getting (within a year) the (hopefully) much improved 2nd gen TLX that won't just be a glorified Honda Accord.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZuser
#1 like: This is the last year for this generation which means we'll be getting (within a year) the (hopefully) much improved 2nd gen TLX that won't just be a glorified Honda Accord.

Hahaha, they'll always be glorified Hondas. They can say all they want about "new platform" and what not but any Acura mid sedan will be associated as an Accord, ILX-Civic, MDX,-Pilot, RDX-CRV, etc.

Oh, not bashing as I love Honda/Acura.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Honestly, I wanted an Accord V6 with better performance and handling characteristics, slightly more luxury and a better dealer experience. And that’s pretty much what I got. So expectations were managed properly.

2) good passing power
3) superb fuel economy
4) comfortable ride, even on long hauls
5) Apple CarPlay

Dislikes:
1) a little short on torque
2) PAWS V6 needs an LSD
3) chassis could use a little fine tuning
4) oversized grill makes me miss the beak on my ‘16
5) a little too conservative in styling (overall)
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-04-2019), nist7 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by booster
1. Number one has to be the DCT transmission. It's the next best thing to the manual. I love how it shifts in manual mode when going WOT or downshifting.
2. Fuel economy. Next to my M5 and Pathfinder it sips fuel.
3. Power. I know for some it's under-powered, but this thing moves for a 4 cylinder. Since my TLX has been in the shop, I've been driving a new Mazda 3. Mazda 3 is a smaller car with smaller engine, but the difference in power delivery is massive, Mazda being super slow.
4. Handling. Surprisingly, the TLX is very nimble for a car that is much bigger than it looks. It's both longer and wider than the e39 M5, but it handles just as well, granted I've upgraded to 19" rims and summer tires.
5. Plug and play upgrade of rear bumper to face-lift version with exposed exhaust.
Dislikes
1. Number one has to be the DCT transmission. I hate how it shifts at low speed, it gets confused and the engagement is often delayed.
2. Trunk lid. When you swing it open, it tends to partially fall right back down. I've made the mistake of leaning in too fast and got rewarded by getting smacked on the head with the trunk.
3. Uniqueness or lack of. Everywhere you turn there is one...almost like BMW 3 series and Audi A4.
4. Performance upgrades or lack of. There are literally two things available on the market, suspension and exhaust, that's it.
5. Hidden exhaust. I'm the kind of person that finds exposed exhaust to be sexy.
Interesting re your love hate relationship with the DCT. My 2016 DCT, after a programming update that exorcized a very occasional rough low speed downshift, was flawless at all speeds. My 2018 DCT has been flawless at all speeds and temperatures for the 4 months I've had it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I'm in full agreement. It's clearly not a race car but I find the 2.4 mated with the DCT to have surprising power/quickness in the lower gears.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Interesting re your love hate relationship with the DCT. My 2016 DCT, after a programming update that exorcized a very occasional rough low speed downshift, was flawless at all speeds. My 2018 DCT has been flawless at all speeds and temperatures for the 4 months I've had it.
I might ask the service manager to check the firmware version on mine at the next oil change. Maybe I'm not at the latest version.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I'm in full agreement. It's clearly not a race car but I find the 2.4 mated with the DCT to have surprising power/quickness in the lower gears.
My brother has a 2013 6 speed, v6 accord coupe. He was surprised how well the TLX pulled up to speed on the highway the first time He was in it.
I'm getting a full 2.5" catback, and PCD, which should be good for at least 10HP. Avery little bit counts when you are starting off at 205HP.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

My brother has a 2013 6 speed, v6 accord coupe. He was surprised how well the TLX pulled up to speed on the highway the first time He was in it.
I'm getting a full 2.5" catback, and PCD, which should be good for at least 10HP. Avery little bit counts when you are starting off at 205HP.
Hey, it's 206!!!!
Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Hondacura = GOLD!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Traded in my 2018 TLX V6 A-spec Elite recently for the 2019 RDX A-spec, so this list is really about the good things that I had on the TLX that I wish Acura had put into the RDX A-spec.

1. Heated rear seats
2. 360° camera
3. Puddle lights
4. Auto dimming side mirrors
5. Wireless charging

Even if Acura just offered these as options, I would have ticked all the boxes. Acura makes some weird decisions.
hadokenuh (01-08-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Traded in my 2018 TLX V6 A-spec Elite recently for the 2019 RDX A-spec, so this list is really about the good things that I had on the TLX that I wish Acura had put into the RDX A-spec.

1. Heated rear seats
2. 360° camera
3. Puddle lights
5. Wireless charging

Even if Acura just offered these as options, I would have ticked all the boxes. Acura makes some weird decisions.
Agreed. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for some of the 'feature packaging decisions' both Honda and Acura makes at times.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
hadokenuh (01-08-2019), SebringSilver (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by chums

Dislikes-

2. Lack of red brake calipers. Perhaps the only thing missing from the A-Spec styling. Covers are ugly so I guess I'll leave the calipers alone.
I covered my calipers with custom designed caliper covers from MGP. I tell my wife she's married to a mass murderer for the number of people who break their necks looking at my car parked or as I drive by. It's not just the Still Night Blue Pearl color because their eyes alway go to the wheels.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.) Wheels
2.) Duel exhaust/rear bumper
3.) Headlights
4.) Front seat design
5.) Interior engine noise (wish there was more exterior noise though)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mulvaneyt1919
1.) Wheels
2.) Duel exhaust/rear bumper
3.) Headlights
4.) Front seat design
5.) Interior engine noise (wish there was more exterior noise though)
My car sounds like a Prius when you stand behind it. Do the ATLP and RV6 exhausts for the TLX fit the 2018-19? I suppose they would if the bent piece at the end was straightened out. Anyone tried it? If I hadn't leased my car, I'd think about doing it.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

1. Heated rear seats
2. 360° camera
3. Puddle lights
5. Wireless charging

Hate to say it, but all of those features, other than Wireless Charging, are available on the RDX Platinum Elite trim in Canada. I believe you folks get the 360 Camera and the Heated Rear seats on the Advance Trim.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 01-08-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I’m in Vancouver, so my available choices are the same as yours. Unfortunately, Acura just made the TLX A-spec Elite bundle so much better than the one for the RDX A-spec.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I’m in Vancouver, so my available choices are the same as yours. Unfortunately, Acura just made the TLX A-spec Elite bundle so much better than the one for the RDX A-spec.
That is true, and I am glad they did
Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^
Lucky Canadians. I still don't understand why the options packages are so much different/better in Canada as opposed to the USA. I'd love to have Advance package stuff on my A-Spec, rather than having it be essentially a Tech model with better suspension and wheels. You have to choose between handling and tech features...and I chose handling since that's more important to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced

^^^
better suspension and wheels.
Better suspension? How so?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Better suspension? How so?
The A-Spec (V6) has a larger-diameter roll bar (25.4 mm vs 24.7 in the non-Apec V6s), and the dampers have higher spring rates, reworked bushings, and revised valving. These reduce body motion compared to non A-Spec V6 TLXs. Further, the tires are 10 mm wider for more grip. Makes a nice difference in handling.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
The A-Spec (V6) has a larger-diameter roll bar (25.4 mm vs 24.7 in the non-Apec V6s), and the dampers have higher spring rates, reworked bushings, and revised valving. These reduce body motion compared to non A-Spec V6 TLXs. Further, the tires are 10 mm wider for more grip. Makes a nice difference in handling.
I may be mistaken but I believe only the A-Spec V6 SH-AWD variant has the larger sway bar. As for the other items they may be included on all the V6 A-Specs. With all those things and SH-AWD I find the handling to be a perfect mix of comfort and performance. Way better than the 2017 V6 FWD TLX I had prior. Having had a 3rd gen Type-S I think the suspension on the A-Spec V6 with SH-AWD to be a much better handling car while not feeling every bump in the road.
neuronbob (01-24-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Null and proud of it

I drove a ZF-9 equipped Honda last week and didn't mind it much. The TLX A-Spec is starting to appear on my list for a future car for me in maybe 5-10 years! Thanks! This is an awesome topic, very interesting. Thanks for dirctly conparing it to a 3G TL, for point of reference.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
1) SHAWD. So fun. Love messing around with this thing in the snow. It lets you get a little power slide going before reigning you back in.
2) Quiet ride. I jump into my 2010 TSX every couple months and such a huge difference in interior noise.
3) Rear cross traffic warning. Never knew how much I needed this!
4) Love the red interior with the red accent lights. Still not tired of it.
5) With 290 HP, Sprint booster add on , and SHAWD this thing blasts from zero to 40 as quick as many other cars.

Alas every time I get on the highway I'm reminded that there is no way I'm keeping it after lease end. :-(
Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Terdbath
1) SHAWD. So fun. Love messing around with this thing in the snow. It lets you get a little power slide going before reigning you back in.
2) Quiet ride. I jump into my 2010 TSX every couple months and such a huge difference in interior noise.
3) Rear cross traffic warning. Never knew how much I needed this!
4) Love the red interior with the red accent lights. Still not tired of it.
5) With 290 HP, Sprint booster add on , and SHAWD this thing blasts from zero to 40 as quick as many other cars.

Alas every time I get on the highway I'm reminded that there is no way I'm keeping it after lease end. :-(
If the next TLX has a 2.0T, you might wind up in the 10 speed auto or the DCT from the 2.4L. That would be a nice swap, imho. Love the Honda DCT. Masterpiece of a transmission.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Null and proud of it

I think they're having issues with tech and stuff. Since I'm old school, I don't care. I miss my CD changer more than anything...

As far as driving dynamics go, they still got it...
Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

We are in the middle of frigid weather in the great White North prairies, and my car starts and shifts so smoothly. No SH-AWD but with good snow tires and PAWS I feel very planted and safe in this vehicle.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:47 AM
Null and proud of it

Come to think of it, not many sedans even offer AWD, and the TLX offers two versions of AWD... I think the TLX gets picked on a lot, I disliked it at first, but it's grown on me, I think it will be a very "timeless" car in the years to come!
mapleloaf (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

We are in the middle of frigid weather in the great White North prairies, and my car starts and shifts so smoothly. No SH-AWD but with good snow tires and PAWS I feel very planted and safe in this vehicle.
Agreed! During our most recent snow event, my V6 PAWS — even with the stock RE97s — did a fantastic job of managing the accumulation.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
SH-AWD is a blast in the snow. Floor the gas pedal off the line on a turn and the rear slides out like it is RWD. However, if you drive like a normal human it feels like you are on rails in the snow.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

On another note, watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night with friends, and on the way home, called up my HD recorded Queen music by voice in under 10 seconds and happily cruised home listening to some vintage music on my ELS! If that's old technology, count me in
Old 01-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I know this thread is about 18-19 TLXs, but I have to say, the same thing crossed my mind twice in the last week. My replacement ZF9 was smooth after cold starts at -14F and -6F. I was impressed. They really sorted out the jerking and hard shifting problem. I replaced my OEM battery last week after it started acting up in the cold. Going on four years of Midwest seasons, I wasn’t sure if it would survive another winter. I’m glad because I see -20Fs in the forecast.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Come to think of it, not many sedans even offer AWD, and the TLX offers two versions of AWD... I think the TLX gets picked on a lot, I disliked it at first, but it's grown on me, I think it will be a very "timeless" car in the years to come!
  • Nearly all the sedans Acura is competing with offer AWD.
  • PAWS is not AWD. There's no driving power sent to the rear wheels in that configuration
neuronbob (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

solved usb problem

Quick Reply: What are your top 5 likes for the 2018-19 TLX?