What is missing from our TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
What is missing from our TLX?

The Acura company likely reads the messages on the various Acura boards. What can we tell Acura what we would like in the 2016 or future TLX models. Here are a few things I thought of. Obviously, any of the below can be standard or optional.

• HUD (Heads Up Display) so that you can watch the road and the cars vitals at the same time.
  • 1.8 degrees is not really enough turning for the rear wheels. Upping it to around 10 degrees will make parking and low speed maneuvers much easier.
  • A four and six cylinder turbo option to increase horsepower to 300 and 400 respectively.
  • A real spare tire. How sad that Acura must charge $369 extra for this.
  • Side mirrors that can fold in automatically
  • Factory tint for the rear glass and rear doors glass
  • Parking assist – with all the sensors and 4 wheel steering, this should be a no brainer.
  • Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection (BMW has this).
  • Heated rear seat. Infinity has this.
Anything else Acura should consider for the future of TLX?
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Many of these items have already been discussed, but I'll bite.

Missing:
- illuminated driver and passenger footwells
- Navigation setting that warns when speed limit is being exceeded by a set margin

Top Canadian models have heated rear seats. I would have declined if it was an option.

Many of the other items will just end up raising the cost of the vehicle. The business model for Acura is to provide a few models with good features, and are not provide extensive array of options for custom order.

It is unfortunate that there are so many concerns about the cost of the spare tire. If you want it just pay the extra an get it. If it is not wanted why should it be forced on the buyer as a higher cost car?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
TLX is missing a manual transmission.

A Honda Accord Sport with manual transmission is faster than a TLX 4 cylinder.
The following 2 users liked this post by enchantedsky:
kurtatx (04-23-2015), silverTL6 (04-26-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Missing a reliable transmission
Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I would also caution about what some of these extras would do to the value equation. My list would include Heads Up Display, Illuminated Footwells, and Parking Assist. I would add a one step voice destination setting for the Canadian Model Navigation system, as per the US.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motorized steering wheel and side mirrors.
nore03 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Just to add clarity, the transmissions are not unreliable, per se.. buggy, yes but that is not the same as stranding people. I don't recall seeing anyone mention the car stopped dead due to the transmission.

So missing is a bug-free transmission
The following 7 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (04-23-2015), banswee (04-23-2015), CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-23-2015), gr8ness97 (04-24-2015), Hoosier_TLX (04-23-2015), mapleloaf (04-24-2015), nore03 (04-23-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Really the only thing missing from mine is physical switches for the seat heaters.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I would make a "cold weather package" available in the US that includes all the cold weather items that are on the Canadian TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary3N:
HattoriHonda (04-23-2015), Hoosier_TLX (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Really the only thing missing from mine is physical switches for the seat heaters.
Boom!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:33 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
If I owned the car rather than leasing I would fit after market seat heaters with proper switches. Cost about $550 Canadian done professionally. I would then automatically also have the facility for the remote to power up both sets of heaters - the seat would get nice and toasty very fast - and the built in thermostats would prevent over heating. The after market ones would automatically stay on and no need to go through the ridiculous multiple touch screens.

The heated windscreen button conversely needs to be de-automated, or I could just pull the fuse on it as I never have any need for it and am fed up with always turning it off. why does it come on automatically below 40F/6C? Why? I live in Canada. I have been through a whole winter in it. I have never needed it. Not. Once.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Just a few that pop into my mind:

Digital speed readout on the Multi-Information Display (MID).
Some way to deselect items on the MID that you don't use.
Some way to adjust volume of warning chimes.
Some way to set a speed at which a warning comes on if you exceed it.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by a77
If I owned the car rather than leasing I would fit after market seat heaters with proper switches. Cost about $550 Canadian done professionally. I would then automatically also have the facility for the remote to power up both sets of heaters - the seat would get nice and toasty very fast - and the built in thermostats would prevent over heating. The after market ones would automatically stay on and no need to go through the ridiculous multiple touch screens.
I got Acura to do that for me, it is called the Elite model. I have not touched the seat heater control in months.

The heated windscreen button conversely needs to be de-automated, or I could just pull the fuse on it as I never have any need for it and am fed up with always turning it off. why does it come on automatically below 40F/6C? Why? I live in Canada. I have been through a whole winter in it. I have never needed it. Not. Once.
The heated windscreen is useful when crawling along in a snowstorm, and I have found it useful in Toronto on at least a few occasions. It could that it uses very little energy so no downside to it being on, but if conditions are dry I usually turn it off. The optimum control would be to turn it on at lower temperatures and if the wipers have been activated, and to turn it off after 10 minutes of no wiper activity.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I am totally happy the way the car is now for 2015. There are enough gadgets on the car. No need to drive the price up.

Of course if new technology comes out, updates may be in order.

Maybe offer a better color selection.
mapleloaf (04-24-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Of course there are always going to be items we'd like to see added, but with each addition then the price point would also have to be adjusted.

I'd like to have a HUD, a spare tire, and a I was just talking to a co-worker and said how much I'd like to be able to fully customize the features instead of having Acura only give me 2,3, or 4 choices. Since most of the items are being controlled by the computer already, why not let us choose the duration of time the lights stay on or when to lock the doors for instance. Anything that would be safety related or cause vehicle issues then it shouldn't be altered, just the "cool" stuff that lets us truly personalize our cars.

Really, there's not much to complain about. Several models with multiple different packages. If you want more features get higher optioned model, less the get more along the base model. It is sadly the way manufacturers are going, packages instead of options.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
Of course there are always going to be items we'd like to see added, but with each addition then the price point would also have to be adjusted.

I'd like to have a HUD, a spare tire, and a I was just talking to a co-worker and said how much I'd like to be able to fully customize the features instead of having Acura only give me 2,3, or 4 choices. Since most of the items are being controlled by the computer already, why not let us choose the duration of time the lights stay on or when to lock the doors for instance. Anything that would be safety related or cause vehicle issues then it shouldn't be altered, just the "cool" stuff that lets us truly personalize our cars.

Really, there's not much to complain about. Several models with multiple different packages. If you want more features get higher optioned model, less the get more along the base model. It is sadly the way manufacturers are going, packages instead of options.
But it's also one of the reasons why Acura has a better value proposition than a similarly equipped BMW. Name your poison!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Decent tires that don't squeal any time you accelerate. It's annoying to sound like I'm doing a burn out whenever I step on the gas. 206 horsepower should not overload the tires.
boe_d (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Manual trans or a good DCT for the V6
More power (a twin turbo v6)
Exposed tail pipes/tips
Sportier seats
Single display instead of dual, a Full TFT (or similar) Gauge cluster with gps/other info displayed (customizeable)
silverTL6 (04-26-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashmaster
The Acura company likely reads the messages on the various Acura boards. What can we tell Acura what we would like in the 2016 or future TLX models.

Anything else Acura should consider for the future of TLX?
An engine based upon the wonderful hybrid tech used in the Accord Hybrid. Excellent MPG and decent acceleration. I wouldn't buy a hybrid car if it got less than 40MPG (city and highway). The accord is close to 50 MPG - I realize real life drivers with a heavy foot like me won't get that but we aren't going to get the MPG listed on a non-hybrid car either.

I wouldn't mind an android GPS - that way if the built in unit has a clumsy interface you could load another and it would be highly customizable.

Last edited by boe_d; 04-24-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The Acura company likely reads the messages on the various Acura boards. What can we tell Acura what we would like in the 2016 or future TLX models. Here are a few things I thought of. Obviously, any of the below can be standard or optional.

[LIST][*]HUD (Heads Up Display) so that you can watch the road and the cars vitals at the same time.
Agree here

[*]A four and six cylinder turbo option to increase horsepower to 300 and 400 respectively.
More likely turbo options with 250 and 350 hp ranges as opposed to 300 and 400. Acura has always been super conservative on the horsepower front.

[*]A real spare tire. How sad that Acura must charge $369 extra for this.
Get used to it. This is now par for the course in the name of weight savings.

[*]Factory tint for the rear glass and rear doors glass
Never gonna happen. Too many different laws in different states and most states only allow factory tinting on rear windows for SUVs/crossovers.

[*]Parking assist – with all the sensors and 4 wheel steering, this should be a no brainer.
Only if it is a separate option independent from all packages or fully defeatable. I find that a rear view camera and tilt down side-view mirrors more than adequate to be able to parallel park just fine.

[*]Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection (BMW has this).
The night vision is largely more gimmick and until they can display it directly on the windshield, it is more distraction than useful.

The return of the manual transmission would be much appreciated, though unlikely to happen, and perhaps the inclusion of a capacitor based regenerative braking setup a la the system in the Mazda cars. The addition of an LSD on a hotter performance oriented model would also be a welcome addition along with a redesign of the rear bumper to allow exposed exhaust outlets again.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
V8 twin turbo option
RWD coupe option
A perpetual motion engine option

This thread is stupid. It makes people think about their cars in a negative way. There is ALWAYS going to be something you wish you had on any given car. Honda doesn't care about this thread, and the responses are only going to get more insane and impractical to implement in a reasonable amount of time.
The following 6 users liked this post by opboarding:
HattoriHonda (04-27-2015), Hoosier_TLX (04-24-2015), justnspace (04-27-2015), mapleloaf (04-26-2015), PreludeVTEC01 (04-27-2015), Stew4HD (04-24-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ I wouldn't call it a stupid thread but you are so right, it does have a negative angle.. "the car would be better if--"

Supercharger
selectable spring firmness (coilovers)
Electric motor at 4 wheels for ultra fast starts
Hoosier_TLX (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Racer

Dang, I just realized that I missed the intent of this post with my crazy, almost rational, post earlier.

What I think should really be on the new TLX is:

Amphibious mode
Hover mode
Time travel capability (without the need for uranium or plutonium)
150 MPG
Holographic Information Display
Self Drive mode
And finally, exposed exhaust tips. How can any car look good without them? What is the obsession with exhaust tips? I like the look of them as well, but goodness gracious great God almighty...... STOP with the exhaust tips. If you want them, create a special rear fascia that has them. I think the TLX looks great without them

Of course, all the above commentary is my opinion and in no way should be viewed as the be all end all
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
Stew4HD (04-24-2015), tlxsteve (04-25-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Dang, I just realized that I missed the intent of this post with my crazy, almost rational, post earlier.

What I think should really be on the new TLX is:

Amphibious mode
Hover mode
Time travel capability (without the need for uranium or plutonium)
150 MPG
Holographic Information Display
Self Drive mode
And finally, exposed exhaust tips. How can any car look good without them? What is the obsession with exhaust tips? I like the look of them as well, but goodness gracious great God almighty...... STOP with the exhaust tips. If you want them, create a special rear fascia that has them. I think the TLX looks great without them

Of course, all the above commentary is my opinion and in no way should be viewed as the be all end all
Heh - I missed it too!!

I would like a HUD. Those really impress the ladies!
I would like 360 view cameras - cause I'm a photographer and find cameras really groovy!
I would like hidden tailpipes - oh wait - nevermind!
I would like a TWIN TURBO cause I can't afford an NSX but still have the need to impress my male cohorts.
I would like to have hair like I did in my 20's.
And lastly - I would like to have physical switches for the seat heaters.
Hoosier_TLX (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Racer

^^^ Wait, your post seems almost rational. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about quad turbos? Wouldn't that be twice as good as twin turbos?
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 PM

^^^ Wait, your post seems almost rational. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about quad turbos? Wouldn't that be twice as good as twin turbos?
Quad Turbos????? Now you're just being silly!
justnspace (04-27-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
In order of importance:

1. A manual transmission
2. A turbo 4 with about 250-275 hp
3. More interior ambient lighting such as on the door panels of f30 3 series
4. Exposed exhaust

That's it!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

And a ram air scoop intake on the hood while they are at it. Then it will need wide 21" wide rims to handle all that power.
justnspace (04-27-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Plus a V6 who's power output isn't a joke for today's standards. VQ37 has variants putting down 350bhp. If you want to stick with a V6, then give it some nut.

Remove rear wheel steer.

Last edited by n3o; 04-24-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

^
I thought definition of Acura nowadays is nut less?
Old 04-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
In agreement with almost all of the "features" requested here, many of which are the sole reason I haven't down-graded from my RLX to a TLX. HUD, folding parking mirrors, interior LED illumination, surround camera, auto-tilt steering wheel, etc. etc. would all be great "options" for those wanting to spend a little more to add some more "luxury" to their TLX.

The key word here is "options". For those who have expressed concerns about price increase, the Germans have figured that out perfectly. You simply make them feature "options". If you don't want them? Then don't add them. But for those of us who do want them, and don't mind paying a bit more, then at least we have the option to.

Acura already does this with some features (e.g. illuminated door sills, wood-grain steering wheel, etc). They just need to give us more of them. I don't mind the whole approach they have of making simple "trim/packages" that make it easy for those looking to shop quickly without cost-creep when adding options. But at the same time don't dismiss those of us who want and can afford to pay more and want to customize our vehicles more.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
The key word here is "options". For those who have expressed concerns about price increase, the Germans have figured that out perfectly. You simply make them feature "options". If you don't want them? Then don't add them. But for those of us who do want them, and don't mind paying a bit more, then at least we have the option to.
The business model for Acura is completely different and a change to a "custom build" would be a fundamental and massive change to their assembly, distribution, and sales processes. For buyers that need this flexibility the Acura will not be the car of choice, just one of compromise.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

I am confused

If rlx to tlx is such a downgrade isn't it self esteem suicide to keep an ilx in the garage ? I would think that lowers your property value
Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quandry
The business model for Acura is completely different and a change to a "custom build" would be a fundamental and massive change to their assembly, distribution, and sales processes. For buyers that need this flexibility the Acura will not be the car of choice, just one of compromise.
Not to mention price points. When you package popular options together, you mass produce and cut costs. This is one of the reasons that competitors such as BMW cost so much more for equivalent features. That being said, remember the old axiom…"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time….or your spouse…oops…I digress…..Anyhow, Acura strives to find the balance and package the most popular options.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

"Plus a V6 who's power output isn't a joke for today's standards. VQ37 has variants putting down 350bhp. If you want to stick with a V6, then give it some nut.

Remove rear wheel steer".

You have missed the boat entirely if you feel Acura is out to have the most powerful 6 cylinder engine on the market. The key word is balance, balance between power and fuel economy. And btw, the 3.5 has plenty of power for what this car is purposed for. Although a fast and nimble car, it is not designed to be a street racer or a track car.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
MedX172 (04-27-2015), tlxsteve (04-26-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I am confused

If rlx to tlx is such a downgrade isn't it self esteem suicide to keep an ilx in the garage ? I would think that lowers your property value
Huh?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
+1 and true luxury
Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
"Plus a V6 who's power output isn't a joke for today's standards. VQ37 has variants putting down 350bhp. If you want to stick with a V6, then give it some nut.

Remove rear wheel steer".

You have missed the boat entirely if you feel Acura is out to have the most powerful 6 cylinder engine on the market. The key word is balance, balance between power and fuel economy. And btw, the 3.5 has plenty of power for what this car is purposed for. Although a fast and nimble car, it is not designed to be a street racer or a track car.
because its that kind of thrill.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts
This thread... Hah.
MedX172 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Manual trans or a good DCT for the V6
More power (a twin turbo v6)
Exposed tail pipes/tips
Sportier seats
Single display instead of dual, a Full TFT (or similar) Gauge cluster with gps/other info displayed (customizeable)
Good list. I would just add having the aero package built in instead of glued on. Basically its a very nice unit that the tacked on look takes away from.

Quick Reply: What is missing from our TLX?