What gas should I put in my 2015 TLX V6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
In the past, before I got my TLX, I had just figured that automatics had an automatic clutch, but I was a little perplexed wondering why they didn't wear out faster - now I know it's because they have torque converters... If I had a shop with a lift, and a few spare engines and transmissions, I would try replacing the fluid in my torque converter with a higher viscosity one.
Why would you need a few spare engines and transmissions?

Why do you think higher viscosity will make the transmission perform better?

Do you know what fluid your car uses?

Can you name a higher viscosity transmission fluid?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Yes, to be a Manual transmission it must have a third pedal; by definition, the transmissions in modern F1 cars are Semi-Automatic transmissions.
The third "pedal" in a F1 car is two levers, Clutch in Clutch out separate from the up shift/downshift units. Its used to start the car from dead stop, if the car spins etc to regain control. Its not used to shift gears. Shift selection is up to the driver. Up shift right side downshift left side as there is no 'logic' to tell the car to shift or down. Under the drivers input the ECU selects the next gear. Rev matching the same function as on a normal Manual Transmission enables the shifts to be made without a clutch. Rev matching is a function of engine speed control not the transmission.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by svtmike

Agree:

Also a lot of modern manual transmissions now run AT fluid instead of the old high viscosity gear lube. This is Tremec's recommendation for my TKO-600 5 speed rated to 600ft lbs.

"For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromesh™ (GM Part # 88861800) – or equivalent, or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF"

Dextron comes in two flavors III & IV. III is the most common. IV is the low viscosity version. Only other choice is FORD type F. FORD has flavors for old & new cars. The ATF's are all branded by different oil companies but the spec are what they are based on.

FWIW the trend by the manufactures is toward lighter IV style in new cars.

Follow mfg specs on this stuff & don't always think on upping them.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-17-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The third "pedal" in a F1 car is two levers, Clutch in Clutch out separate from the up shift/downshift units. Its used to start the car from dead stop, if the car spins etc to regain control. Its not used to shift gears. Shift selection is up to the driver. Up shift right side downshift left side as there is no 'logic' to tell the car to shift or down. Under the drivers input the ECU selects the next gear. Rev matching the same function as on a normal Manual Transmission enables the shifts to be made without a clutch. Rev matching is a function of engine speed control not the transmission.
From Transmission
The drivers do not normally use the clutch manually, apart from moving off from standstill, during pit stop and in case of emergency or spin. They simply press a gear change selector lever behind the wheel to move to the next ratio. The on-board computer automatically cuts the engine, depresses the clutch and switches ratios in the blink of an eye.
That by definition is a semi-automatic transmission.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

From Transmission
The drivers do not normally use the clutch manually, apart from moving off from standstill, during pit stop and in case of emergency or spin. They simply press a gear change selector lever behind the wheel to move to the next ratio. The on-board computer automatically cuts the engine, depresses the clutch and switches ratios in the blink of an eye.
That by definition is a semi-automatic transmission.
What is the semi-automatic part of this? Its semantics. The ECU is not doing anything on its own its just a slave to the drivers inputs like a slave cylinder of a clutch getting instructions to push or release the shift fork from pressure caused by the drivers foot on the pedal. Same with the shift we are substituting a shift handle to select gears with an electric selector totally under drivers control. Neither will do anything unless the driver moves the handle or pushes a button.

The computer does manage the engines power without the driver touching the pedal but it also matches the engines power on a Corvette MT now along with a lot of others. Is a Corvette MT a Semi-Auto?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I will leave it with this.

article 9.8.3 does say...

The minimum possible gear the driver is able to select must remain fixed whilst the car is moving. Each individual gear change must be separately initiated by the driver and, within the mechanical constraints of the gearbox; the requested gear must be engaged immediately unless over-rev protection is used to reject the gear shift requested

If the transmission can't think for itself there is nothing automatic about it. It does have electronic adds to change gears thats a given but overall its brain dead.

For fuel in the TLX use what is recommended on the filler.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-17-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Latent car nut

I will leave it with this.

article 9.8.3 does say...

The minimum possible gear the driver is able to select must remain fixed whilst the car is moving. Each individual gear change must be separately initiated by the driver and, within the mechanical constraints of the gearbox; the requested gear must be engaged immediately unless over-rev protection is used to reject the gear shift requested

If the transmission can't think for itself there is nothing automatic about it. It does have electronic adds to change gears thats a given but overall its brain dead.

For fuel in the TLX use what is recommended on the filler.
The article also says:
In the world of the F1 semi-automatic gearbox, of course, there is no need for the driver to even think about this – everything is electronically controlled! All the driver is required to do is to pull paddle when he wants to change up or down a gear, and the electronics controlling the gearbox and clutch do the rest.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
off the rails and another pissing contest, damn, who'd a thunk it...
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:52 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by steve_97060
off the rails and another pissing contest, damn, who'd a thunk it...
Sorry, I'll shut up now.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone mind helping me on what should i do next?

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...nd-now-967201/
Old 02-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by TLXV6Guy
Anyone mind helping me on what should i do next?

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...nd-now-967201/
Take it back to your dealership; if they cannot fix it, consider a Lemon Law claim.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Banned

Take it back to your dealership; if they cannot fix it, consider a Lemon Law claim.
Thank you for responding. Do you mind explaining the lemon law claim more please?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:24 PM
Latent car nut

It varies by state, best advice would be for you to check your state's Lemon Laws. Often just the threat of a Lemon Law claim is enough to light a fire under a service department to fix the issue.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLXV6Guy
Thank you for responding. Do you mind explaining the lemon law claim more please?
Laws will vary by state, best check with a Lawyer.

Start here for state info

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com

Generally these are typical conditions

""While the rules differ from state to state, as a general rule, if your vehicle continues to have a defect within the warranty period, even after it has been repaired three (3) or more times or your vehicle has been out of service for repairs thirty (30) or more days (NC has a 20 day trigger.), your vehicle may be labeled a “Lemon.” Most state laws provide that an automobile manufacturer must either refund a consumer's money and take back the defective vehicle or replace the vehicle. Keep in mind that in most states it is typically the consumer's choice to elect the relief that best suits them.""

Since you are going for #3 which will cost the company a chunk of change & may not fix the problem while triggering the 30 day part a lawyer might be able to get Acura to buy the car back without going through the lemon process.

This all ain't something you will be sucessful trying to do yourself.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-17-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Banned

It varies by state, best advice would be for you to check your state's Lemon Laws. Often just the threat of a Lemon Law claim is enough to light a fire under a service department to fix the issue.
Alright, thank you so much.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Banned

Laws will vary by state, best check with a Lawyer.

Start here for state info

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com

Generally these are typical conditions

""While the rules differ from state to state, as a general rule, if your vehicle continues to have a defect within the warranty period, even after it has been repaired three (3) or more times or your vehicle has been out of service for repairs thirty (30) or more days (NC has a 20 day trigger.), your vehicle may be labeled a “Lemon.” Most state laws provide that an automobile manufacturer must either refund a consumer's money and take back the defective vehicle or replace the vehicle. Keep in mind that in most states it is typically the consumer's choice to elect the relief that best suits them.""

Since you are going for #3 which will cost the company a chunk of change & may not fix the problem while triggering the 30 day part a lawyer might be able to get Acura to buy the car back without going through the lemon process.

This all ain't something you will be sucessful trying to do yourself.
I have extended warranty and everything. It just gets annoying bringing it back and forth trying to get it fixed.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by svtmike
If it's not an old, basic, "pre-computer"/pre fuel injection engine, I'm a noob, I wouldn't want to start trying to modify my torque converter if I couldn't replace it easily (well, I mean relatively easily - obviously it's a big job not like changing your oil :P).
Transmission fluid? I meant only the fluid specifically in the Torque Converter. Why would I need extra spare engines and transmissions? Because I'm noob and once I go mucking about trying to "improve" things, I could simply destroy it :P

I imagine if you change it you could get a different feeling from the torque converter. If I tried a "non newtonian fluid" such as a mix of corn start and water, I imagine bad things could happen...

To name a few: windshield wiper fluid, gasoline, 0W20 synthetic blend motor oil, that orange coolant stuff in the radiator, brake fluid, transmission fluid, the gas that goes in the air conditioning system is sometimes in a liquid state, and the liquid that is in the torque converter? I assume it's some special type of oil, about which I don't know much yet.

Last edited by Christopher.; 02-18-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Safe to say that we’ve run a bit off the original topic.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Christopher.

Transmission fluid? I meant only the fluid specifically in the Torque Converter. Why would I need extra spare engines and transmissions? Because I'm noob and once I go mucking about trying to "improve" things, I could simply destroy it
The transmission & TC share the fluid. The TC's pump provides the fluid pressure to run the transmission. You need to look up the ZF9 but my mainstream ZF8 used low viscosity fluid.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-18-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
OP, the moral of this thread.

The answer is to put methane into your engine. Just methane. Not propane.

For those of you keeping track at home, I'm telling OP to fart into his fuel tank.
ttribe (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx

For those of you keeping track at home, I'm telling OP to fart into his fuel tank.
I was too caught up with propane that I missed the methane haha.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Thought use what Acura recommends was the answer. It will cover any on the road contingency & if the exhaust valves get fried will keep you warranty intact. Think cheap insurance.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
F23A4 (02-20-2018), teh CL (02-20-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx

Hahaha. I believe Honda does make a compressed natural gas engine.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
No harm continuing the thread off topic - until someone can come up with some more objective test results showing an actual benefit to using Premium gas, at least?

But,on topic, shouldn't owners of this car be legitimately pissed off, that tests conducted comparing both the MPG and performance of regular vs. premium showed no measurable difference? I mean, assume that I will continue to put Premium gas in my car, just because that's what the owner's manual "recommends" - I damn well should expect to get something more, for that extra money spend, even if it is only $400 per year?!?

The transmission & TC share the fluid. The TC's pump provides the fluid pressure to run the transmission. You need to look up the ZF9 but my mainstream ZF8 used low viscosity fluid.
Well, that totally blows away the idea of putting higher viscosity fluid in the TC - not that it would have nesc. done anything good. I suppose I'd just wish that "Sport+" mode would lock up the TX earlier to give me faster torque to the wheels on "launch"?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Just use regular gas with a drop of palmolive to keep car running clean for years, even better if using a drop of hair conditioner to keep engine conditioned
steve_97060 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Whoever puts 87 in their cars, I hope you will disclose that fact you sell your cars. The next owners rightfully need to know.

But if you are in anyway hesitant to do that, then you are doing something wrong. Maybe?
The following 3 users liked this post by hadokenuh:
a35tl (02-20-2018), BEAR-AvHistory (02-20-2018), teh CL (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Whoever puts 87 in their cars, I hope you will disclose that fact you sell your cars. The next owners rightfully need to know.

But if you are in anyway hesitant to do that, then you are doing something wrong. Maybe?
Guarantee you they won't since whatever warranty is left will be void, goodbye residual value
Old 02-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Guarantee you they won't since whatever warranty is left will be void, goodbye residual value
LOL then they are obviously doing something wrong that they are not willing to admit ...
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Nope. Acura is ok with it,
Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Erg. I think I'm stupider for reading this thread. It literally gave me a headache. If I were a mod I'd lock it.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by losiglow
Erg. I think I'm stupider for reading this thread. It literally gave me a headache. If I were a mod I'd lock it.
For sure. I would have locked it on the 2nd post after saying RTFM lol.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Banned

Well, you should be pleased that you can save yourself up to a $1000 in the next 3 years, with ZERO consequence according to CR report. Aren't these forums meant to be help you with a few tricks here and there?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saintor
Well, you should be pleased that you can save yourself up to a $1000 in the next 3 years, with ZERO consequence according to CR report. Aren't these forums meant to be help you with a few tricks here and there?
CR doesn't warranty Acura cars. Acura does.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:40 PM
Banned

CR doesn't warranty Acura cars. Acura does.
Yep and they 100% do with regular gas... why do you think the contrary again?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saintor
Yep and they 100% do with regular gas... why do you think the contrary again?
No contrary. Just RTFM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hadokenuh:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-20-2018), pyrodan007 (02-20-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
I'm currently driving a rental 2018 TLX 3.5L (non SH-AWD, base trim). Even though I'm mostly in eco mode the throttle response does seem a bit hesitant and seems to bit not as quick in its get up and go.

I wonder if the previous renter put in 87 and not the recommended 91. When I fill it up next time with 91 I'll see if I can tell a difference....
Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
I'm currently driving a rental 2018 TLX 3.5L (non SH-AWD, base trim). Even though I'm mostly in eco mode the throttle response does seem a bit hesitant and seems to bit not as quick in its get up and go.

I wonder if the previous renter put in 87 and not the recommended 91. When I fill it up next time with 91 I'll see if I can tell a difference....
Jet fuel won't make a difference in ECO mode. Sport mode will do more for response than premium gas.
nist7 (06-06-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Banned

No contrary. Just RTFM.
Yeah read it and it supports exactly what I wrote. And I mean exactly.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Nothing will make a difference. In today's world sub 5 second 0-60 is where the premium fueled performance cars have gone including KIA. Run with cheap gas unless you need to make a pass under load going up hill.

Saving a few hundred bucks a year on gas is really the thrill they are advertising till a competitive DOHC 24 valve engine comes out with the next generation TLX. Save even more with a Shell rebate card $0.10 a gallon.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Banned

Nothing will make a difference. In today's world sub 5 second 0-60 is where the premium fueled performance cars have gone including KIA. Run with cheap gas unless you need to make a pass under load going up hill.

Saving a few hundred bucks a year on gas is really the thrill they are advertising till a competitive DOHC 24 valve engine comes out with the next generation TLX. Save even more with a Shell rebate card $0.10 a gallon.
Well 460HP Mustang Gt gets sub 4.5s 0-60mph on regular so what is your point?

Quick Reply: What gas should I put in my 2015 TLX V6?