Went to test drive TLX and ended up with Accord Sport.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Red face Went to test drive TLX and ended up with Accord Sport.

Quick Background:

My lease for my 2012 TSX SE 6MT was coming to an end in next 2 months, and I really loved my car and wanted to use the buy option but lack of most basic tech (more on this later) had me looking hard at the TLX. I was not 100% on TLX due to lack of manual option and unexposed exhaust. I for one still like my car to be and look mechanical with decent tech like show song name. Cue in Accord sport, 6MT, 18 inch wheels, dual exhaust and did I say 6MT? But, it is missing sun roof and heated seats which I will miss the most.

So, today I go to an Acura dealer and test drive the TLX base, and right away the lack of 6MT was a turnoff. By the time test drive was over I missed driving my TSX. Even the sales person knew I was disappointed. I really like to "drive" a car rather than push a car around mindlessly. I didn't even try the paddle shifters because I know it not the same as manual, and in old Mazda 3 I never used the "manual" mode. But, I said to myself "hey give up manual and see if the numbers work". So, I ask the guy to appraise my car to see if had any upside due to Ultra Low miles, 15700 and brand new stock wheels and tires which I had taken off 1000 miles. The appraisal was negative due to lack of tech in the car which makes it less desirable. So I grabbed my keys and left.

I am driving home past a Honda dealer I decided to try my luck and see if they had an accord in Stick. To my surprise they not only had a stick they had my unicorn, Black Sport in manual. I first test drove the 14 LX coupe (at this time I didn't know they had the Black Sport) and right away I was grinning. The manual is so slick and notchy, I am in love. Come back, the guy makes me an offer for 275(including 8% Phillytax)/month lease with no money down and will take care of my last 2 payments. I am like this is such a bull, then the 15 Sport shows up. I tell him how much for that, he says 289 I shake is hand and we had a deal.

Sport is very identical to my TSX in fit and finish. I love the gauges on Accord much more than TLX and the center stack is also more attractive than the dual screen in the TLX. I knew that fit and finish won't be Acura level but I am totally blown away. Car drives so well and handles like my TSX. Tires are also better, Potenza A97s.

I can see why TLX is getting a bad rep, and it is well deserved because lack of manual option is really screwing the enthusiasts. I wish my TSX had some basic tech like backup camera and Song tags over bluetooth. I know I could have got a new head unit but that would have ended up being another 1500, I like to keep my car stock on the inside.

I am really happy with Accord Sport, and it really feels like my TSX.
The following 2 users liked this post by iamitman:
rockyfeller (11-10-2014), silverTL6 (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Good choice. Not to mention the Accord Sport is pretty sharp looking, Honda finally got the Accord right again. You won't miss a sunroof and heated seats when you're shifting through those gears.

Are the new 6MT's LSD?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:32 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
So you ended up in the sedan? (looks like the coupe equivalent is the "LX-S")

Did you consider the V6 coupe w/ 6MT?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:51 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
I read in another thread that only 3% of 4G TL's were sold as manuals so it isn't really turning off that many people in the grand scheme of things. There really is no comparing an Accord Sport to a TLX, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by 07Acuradude:
Moose Muscles (11-11-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (11-10-2014), Stew4HD (11-09-2014), wlkeel (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Congrats! The new accord is really nice. My sister just traded her TSX for an EXL Sedan.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
iamitman, it sounds like you have found the car that you suits your needs the best - congrats! Enjoy the Accord.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 AM
vroom vroom

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice pickup! The accord sport is a definately a better enthusiast vehicle than the TLX
Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman

I am really happy with Accord Sport, and it really feels like my TSX.
Any pics?

p.s. I know this is the TLX forum, but it would be nice to see what pulled you away from a TLX. My last Accord was a 2000 LX.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I don't understand why Honda can't add a sunroof to the sport model? The lack of a sunroof is more a turnoff to me than the lack of a 6 speed manual is on the TLX. I have had sunroofs starting with a 1985 Prelude so that is one amenity I would have a hard time compromising on.
The following 2 users liked this post by LaCostaRacer:
9SpeedTran (11-09-2014), iamitman (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I got an Accord, '13 EX-L Navi. I really wish it were available in a manual.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Congrats on the Accord Sport. I'm considering one myself if I don't get an SUV. I just wish they had just a little more stuff as far as options.

My ideal Accord Sport would have ( in addition to how it comes equipped )

Sunroof
LED lighting package
The EX-L stereo with XM
LED mirrors without lane watch
Keyless start
Old 11-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
bad rep? you serious? from the sales and happy owners i dont see much of a bad rep... your in the minority sir. most people dont drive manual transmission vehicles.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I don't understand why Honda can't add a sunroof to the sport model? The lack of a sunroof is more a turnoff to me than the lack of a 6 speed manual is on the TLX. I have had sunroofs starting with a 1985 Prelude so that is one amenity I would have a hard time compromising on.
Agreed! My first car without a sunroof and I will miss it on nice days. Deal did say they can install an aftermarket one, but I will try to get by without one.

Accord has so much more room than the TLX, and yes the fit and finish is not quite Acura but most parts are same as the Acura but it is 6k Cheaper. I know because some parts are same as the Acura. Sport definitely drives better is faster with the manual.

Overall I am not missing the fit and finish and amenities from Acura and I am really surprise how well made this accord is. I guess all the Korean cars making Japanese cars stepping up the their game! All I wish for now is heated seats and sunroof, but I will live.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nexx
bad rep? you serious? from the sales and happy owners i dont see much of a bad rep... your in the minority sir. most people dont drive manual transmission vehicles.
And that is a shame. With a manual you are forced to pay attention to the road and I believe it is best safety feature. It is also more fun to drive, and without it you are just moving a phone booth around. Those who don't drive a manual will never understand.
The following 10 users liked this post by iamitman:
Acura_Dude (11-10-2014), amasianasian (11-09-2014), blakura (11-09-2014), civicdrivr (11-10-2014), EL19 (11-10-2014), EzeE1o (11-19-2014), GreenMM (06-10-2017), princelybug (11-09-2014), rockyfeller (11-10-2014), SilverJ (11-09-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 PM
vroom vroom

I guess all the Korean cars making Japanese cars stepping up the their game! All I wish for now is heated seats and sunroof, but I will live.
Maybe a typo, but...where are Koreans in this?

Oh and post pics!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

And that is a shame. With a manual you are forced to pay attention to the road and I believe it is best safety feature. It is also more fun to drive, and without it you are just moving a phone booth around. Those who don't drive a manual will never understand.
i have a 550whp built twin turbo 350z.. i know all about manuals. just because you love manuals doesnt make an auto any less of a car.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM
vroom vroom

The TLX doesn't really do it for enthusiasts who drive MT, which used to be a pretty significant portion of Acura loyalists. Not so much anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by amasianasian:
blakura (11-09-2014), civicdrivr (11-10-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I think you'll enjoy the Accord Sport. One of the car magazines (C&D or Motor Trend) tested one recently and had nothing but good to say about it (for the enthusiast).
Old 11-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amasianasian
The TLX doesn't really do it for enthusiasts who drive MT, which used to be a pretty significant portion of Acura loyalists. Not so much anymore.
what is significant? 1%? just because you see a good number of manual drivers on these forums doesnt make it siginificant
Old 11-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wlkeel
I think you'll enjoy the Accord Sport. One of the car magazines (C&D or Motor Trend) tested one recently and had nothing but good to say about it (for the enthusiast).
so anyone who drives a automatic is not an enthusiast?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
so anyone who drives a automatic is not an enthusiast?
Not according to many on this site.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
Monte TLS,MAX (11-09-2014), Moose Muscles (11-11-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

damn, i was thinking about getting a GT-R but i wouldnt be an enthusiast then.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
iamitman...Congrats on your Accord Sport!! I agree that the Accord is a great car and offers nice wheels, dual exhaust tips, esthetically pleasing and as you said, although it may not have the tech that the TLX offers, it is a great package....and it comes with a manual.

For me, I could live without the sunroof....It's the lack of HID or Jewel eyes that would be the deal breaker for me. It is annoying that we always seem to have to make compromises to get the car we would really like to have.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Racer

what is significant? 1%? just because you see a good number of manual drivers on these forums doesnt make it siginificant
It is one percent because the Automakers forced it so to make more money on crappy Auto Transmissions, and Acura is now trying to force it out as well. And rest of the world still gets manual. Maybe they should have made 1% to shut people like me up who actually like to drive. Since you know how to drive a manual then you know how boring any find of auto is. Sure Auto might accelerate tad faster now 0-60 but it can't read your mind. My first 3 cars were all auto and I can't believe I wait 10 years to finally learn stick.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

It is one percent because the Automakers forced it so to make more money on crappy Auto Transmissions, and Acura is now trying to force it out as well. And rest of the world still gets manual. Maybe they should have made 1% to shut people like me up who actually like to drive. Since you know how to drive a manual then you know how boring any find of auto is. Sure Auto might accelerate tad faster now 0-60 but it can't read your mind. My first 3 cars were all auto and I can't believe I wait 10 years to finally learn stick.
i see benefits to both. i enjoy driving my automatic TL-S, i enjoy driving my automatic X5, i enjoy driving my manual Z. i dont judge anyone who drives either. i think the term "car enthusiasts" encompasses many types of people who enjoy cars not just manual drivers. i understand an automatic TLX was not for you but to just make a blanket statement like you did saying the TLX is a getting bad rep is unfounded. enjoy your accord im sure its a fun car to drive.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Forced it out? Nobody was buying the MT version of the TL. The take rate was 2%. Hell, Lamborghini and Ferrari dumped the stick-shift, as well. Lamborghini's CEO said that when they offered a stick, close to 0% of the Gallardos ordered were stick. Yes, I know, I know ... Ferraris and Lambos are showcars bought by the rich and snobby and no enthusiast would be caught dead in one, right?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Forced it out? Nobody was buying the MT version of the TL. The take rate was 2%. Hell, Lamborghini and Ferrari dumped the stick-shift, as well. Lamborghini's CEO said that when they offered a stick, close to 0% of the Gallardos ordered were stick. Yes, I know, I know ... Ferraris and Lambos are showcars bought by the rich and snobby and no enthusiast would be caught dead in one, right?
To be honest most people are lazy and all they want is Tech and HP rating. No one wants to drive anymore, they want to text, talk on phone and update facebook. Thank God Honda continues to supply the Slick Stick Shift.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ The automatics have gotten incredibly good, so the performance difference between automatic and manual is slimmer than in the past. I have been a manual driver for first 3 cars and switched to automatic because of traffic reasons as well as the improvements: gears, intelligence, sequential shift. The last car I had buyer's remorse getting the automatic was a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE- wish I went with the 5 speed manual instead. The auto was terrible in kick down logic. My TL automatic is vastly improved and never is in the wrong gear. It's so good I don't use the sequential shift much- only going up/down mountain grades if I want to hold a gear. I have had zero buyer's remorse on that one.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I love driving a manual and for years would request the manual version of my commuter box. Unfortunately when you spend 2 hours a day commuting in often heavy traffic, the reality is that an automatic is just plain easier. I used to get the left leg shake in my old Econoline van, but even in my (several) Integras it could be a drag. Plus I am so busy texting, eating, drinking coffee, reading the paper, and everything else while I drive, that I don't really have a free hand for shifting anymore.
I guess if my commute was 5 miles on winding roads then I would get something with a manual, but not likely to change.
BTW I love my 3G with the ability to slip into "almost kinda" manual mode. I much prefer the shift option to paddles. Wish that Acura would keep the shifter on V6 and allow for tiptronic option like Audi and Lexus.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
To be honest most people are lazy and all they want is Tech and HP rating. No one wants to drive anymore, they want to text, talk on phone and update facebook. Thank God Honda continues to supply the Slick Stick Shift.
People are lazy, ill give you that. BUT that doesnt make someone who drives a DCT or Auto any more lazy than someone who drives manual, nor does driving a manual make you pay more attention than someone driving a auto.I dont know about you but everyone i know that drives manual including myself dont even have to think about what they are doing, shifting, pushing in the clutch etc.. all come 2nd nature to an experienced driver. The reasons manuals used to be so popular for the enthusiast driver really arent there anymore with how good DCTs and Autos are. There is a reason Ferrari and Lambo use DCT, they are faster. You dont get much more of a MT fan than me (i converted my TL to a manual) and i would personally have a true DCT. Its far superior to the MT for the way i use it (auto-x/lapping days, and spirited driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Acura_Dude (11-10-2014), Marcelechka (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
the Accord is a great car and starting with the 2013 model contains many of the attributes and niceties that had been exclusive to Acura.

Enjoy the ride !!!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
IMO, stories like this are normal and should be expected. The Accord sells in a volume that is up to 10 times greater than the TLX is projected to. It may end up 'only' being 8-1 if the TLX does really well, but it stands to reason that many people will find the Accord the better car for them for any number of reasons. That the OP considered the TLX even knowing there was no MT available, shows that Acura is doing a good job with what they're offering, and in the end, HMC still made a sale.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
So you traded a 3 year old TSX ... under 16,000 miles (barely broken in!) and presumably in like-new condition. Why?

The Accord Sport seems like a nice car, but you've given up that sunroof and heated seats and spent money (or taken on debt) to gain what?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
IMO, stories like this are normal and should be expected. The Accord sells in a volume that is up to 10 times greater than the TLX is projected to. It may end up 'only' being 8-1 if the TLX does really well, but it stands to reason that many people will find the Accord the better car for them for any number of reasons. That the OP considered the TLX even knowing there was no MT available, shows that Acura is doing a good job with what they're offering, and in the end, HMC still made a sale.
I agree - the Accord and the TLX are targeting rather different markets...
Old 11-09-2014, 06:51 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
You should live in Canada....Accord Sport has sunroof, lights in mirrors, heated seats, puddle lights (unlike TLX tech...) 6 speaker stereo too. We can get the touring too with a manual, but lease is similar to what I could get on a TLX. But it costs a bit more. Congrats on your Accord - it is the nicest one.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accord Sport 6MT is the best $20+k Sedan

In the market. Accord is Poor Man's Acura
Old 11-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
You should live in Canada....Accord Sport has sunroof, lights in mirrors, heated seats, puddle lights (unlike TLX tech...) 6 speaker stereo too.
Are you sure about that?!?! Last time I checked, the Sport had NO sunroof....

EDIT...Well I'll be damned...they added the moonroof for the 2015 model year! Good thing I didn't promise to eat my shorts!

Last edited by weather; 11-09-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I agree - the Accord and the TLX are targeting rather different markets...
I don't know about that. The Accord Sport and TLX 4-cylinder go almost head-to-head, with a price difference of being only $5k or so.

The Accord is roomy, practical, super value-oriented, and sporty, while the Acura is just a more stylish Accord, but shrinks from the size of an Accord to a Civic. The Accord is the benchmark and single most important car for Honda, and it shows. The Acura is a derivative product based on the Accord, which is not a bad thing at all, but is made to appeal to a much narrower audience (including the young wanna-be speed racer). Unless you jump to a different powertrain from the Accord, you can hardly claim that the Acura is in a different class.

Only the buyer can decide what's more important. I would personally buy an Accord Sport over a 4-cylinder TLX. I think the original poster made a very wise choice.

Last edited by hddnav; 11-09-2014 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hddnav:
civicdrivr (11-10-2014), Monte TLS,MAX (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I drove my 13 Accord ExL for almost two years - bought it the week the 9th gen's went on sale.

The Accord is a bit larger inside and offers you better visibility - otherwise there is no real comparison.

The TXL wins in the areas that were most important to me:
1) Ride Quality - my Accord rode nice on the freeway but most any other "less than perfect road" was a firm borderline harsh ride. The quality of ride in the TXL is measurably better.
2) NVH - My 13 Accord (the 5th one I owned going back to my 84 Accord LX!) was the most quiet Accord I owned however the TLX cabin is far and away better with regards to NVH. Acura did a great job in that area!

Another area where the TXL is superior is handling - skidpad numbers aside my real-world experience throwing both cars at the same off-ramps is that the TLX has less body roll and feels more planted and stable than my Accord.

Overall quality and styling (subjective) go to the TLX as well.

Of course if owning an MT is your number one must-have then the Sport is the way to go. But for anyone to say that the Accord is in the same class as the TLX you haven't lived with them both on a daily basis. That said - the Accord is a fantastic value and I would likely still own mine today if it weren't for the "ox cart" ride on side streets - I think overall it's a great car in the segment and the OP has every reason to be excited about his leasing the car.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (11-10-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TLin05
So you traded a 3 year old TSX ... under 16,000 miles (barely broken in!) and presumably in like-new condition. Why?

The Accord Sport seems like a nice car, but you've given up that sunroof and heated seats and spent money (or taken on debt) to gain what?
Sorry, just re-read your original post and noted reference to lack of tech... as the owner of an '05 TL I guess I can relate to that!
The following users liked this post:
iamitman (11-10-2014)

Quick Reply: Went to test drive TLX and ended up with Accord Sport.