AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Warranty Question - Transmission (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/warranty-question-transmission-975202/)

TLXCardi 11-27-2018 10:56 PM

Warranty Question - Transmission

I purchased a 2015 TLX I4 last July and recently been having issues with the transmission jerking/stuttering at low speeds. I brought this up to the dealership during my oil change visit and after one of the techs drove the car, they said the transmission fluid is dirty and needed to be changed. He said once the fluid is changed, the jerkiness will stop (I doubt it, but I'll bite for now). He quoted me around $230 to get this done, and said Acura recommends changing the transmission fluid at 40k anyway. At the time I had around 37k and now I'm at 39k.

Would this be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? I purchased it certified, so I'm covered until 2020 under the bumper to bumper/comprehensive warranty. The only reason I ask is because I don't think it would be considered maintenance since I'm actually having issues with the transmission.

thoiboi 11-27-2018 11:46 PM

No. Just do it yourself and see if it's fixed

miner 11-28-2018 08:09 AM

It is a maintenance item - just have them change it and if you still are having issues then take it back for further review.

losiglow 11-28-2018 08:57 AM

3 year old transmission fluid with 40K miles. The tech is probably right. Change it out and see what happens.

BEAR-AvHistory 11-28-2018 09:48 AM

Its a potential warranty item but fluid changes is a maintenance item & on you. They might be willing to cut you some "good will" slack but not obligated to. I

If the fluid change does not fix the problem they will dump your new fluid into a recycle tank when they look at the transmission. Try to talk to the Service Adviser & see if he will make a deal. Can't get anything if you don't ask.

wlkeel 11-28-2018 06:14 PM

I wouldn't do anything like fluid changes yet - have them apply TSB 17-015 which solves this problem. If they say they've done that, make them prove it. Just my opinion

TLXCardi 11-28-2018 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it would straggle the line of being covered or not. The more research I do, it appears the fluid would be due for a change anyway even if I wasn't having issues. In all my previous cars I never had the transmission fluid changed or flushed.

Anyway, if I'm still having issues afterwards I'll be in their ear.

Mr Hyde 11-30-2018 10:16 AM

This is a case where I would let the dealership do the work, and make sure the invoice clearly states the work is being done for that issue, and not just as regular maintenance.
You want to start the paper trail early.

My original warranty just expired last month, but still covered with an extended for a few more years.

Rocketsfan 12-03-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde (Post 16341346)
This is a case where I would let the dealership do the work, and make sure the invoice clearly states the work is being done for that issue, and not just as regular maintenance.
You want to start the paper trail early.

My original warranty just expired last month, but still covered with an extended for a few more years.

Agree with the above to an extent. Technically the maintenance minder should let you know when to change the transmission fluid (in your case, I think it's when the code with a "3" pops up). Also, in the manual, I believe Acura states that you should change the transmission fluid when the maintenance minder tells you to unless you drive in extreme/mountainous terrain regularly, in which case you should change it every 40k miles and then every 30k miles after that. In other words, it doesn't say "change your transmission fluid every 40k miles". Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Just make sure that when the maintenance minder tells you to change the transmission fluid, you aren't screwed over by the dealership when they say you should do it again.

Also, as Mr. Hyde stated above, have them put on there that the transmission fluid change should take care of the jerkiness.

One4AL 12-08-2018 12:18 PM

Lots of issues with vibrations and/or transmissions in TLX models; for V6 models at least (see: other discussion initially posted by Tardym ). Personnaly, I would not do the oil change myself and I would let the dealer do it, just in case it eventually goes into a lawsuit, to prevent Acura(Honda) from pretending you did something wrong to your car.

TLXCardi 12-19-2018 06:51 PM

I was finally able to take it in. In addition to the transmission flush, they performed a transmission software update. The transmission is much better, not perfect, but better. I haven't had any really hard jerks like in the past. Occasionally a minor one, but barely noticeable and doesn't happen all the time. I'll continue to monitor.