Notices

Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18

 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18

Good day everyone

As most of you might have notice in some threads, I am suing Acura for the unresolved vibration problem. After opening a court case, they decided to challenge my lawsuit and go to court.
I must therefore accumulate as much details as possible on this problem and the steps taken by the owners to solve the problem with Acura.

I need to know what Acura told you about this issue. Steps to resolve and also the outcoming. Like in my case they did apply all TBSís and the problem still exist. Yes, the vibration is less than before, but still there and it should not, especially for a $50K (Canadian $) car. The last answer from Acura , was the car behave as is should and never mentioned that the car should not vibrate.

The more I will get from all of you, the greater are the chance of getting a winning case. And if successful, you will all have something to fight for.

Thank everyone for your support.
Tardym is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Tardym:
David Isabello (11-21-2017), One4AL (12-07-2018), pyrodan007 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:47 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Jhole99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 38
Posts: 16
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Not to put a damper on your parade and be too negative but by the time you "resolve" that case you will have easily spent enough money to purchase a small fleet of cars. If I were you I would sell the car and buy a nice sports car of your choice for around $150K. That will leave a lot more money in your pocket than pursuing legal action. Good luck!!
Jhole99 is offline  
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhole99 View Post
Not to put a damper on your parade and be too negative but by the time you "resolve" that case you will have easily spent enough money to purchase a small fleet of cars. If I were you I would sell the car and buy a nice sports car of your choice for around $150K. That will leave a lot more money in your pocket than pursuing legal action. Good luck!!
I am from Montreal,Quebec,Canada.
In our privince, there is a Small Claims Division, where someone can sue a company or a person for a maximum of $15K . This is what i am trying to do with Acura and the dealer. This only cost $200.00 to register your case and then you can choose to hire a lawyer or plead your case alone. If i win, this will server others as " a case of law ".

Thanks.
Tardym is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Tardym:
pyrodan007 (10-23-2017), ZipSpeed (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:18 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Jhole99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 38
Posts: 16
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Nice...That is a luxury we don't have in the US. Good luck on your case.
Jhole99 is offline  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 840
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
I still have vinration on mine after all applicable tsbs have been applied. In the last tsb, it stated "vibration may still be felt on certain driving conditions". Im still thinking about talking to the delaer about it but my lease is up in june and i just feel that i dont have the energy anymore to deal with the tlx issues. From the tranny change to the vibration, i feel like it's too damn much. Time to switch to lexus
mondster is offline  
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
pyrodan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 601
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster View Post
I still have vinration on mine after all applicable tsbs have been applied. In the last tsb, it stated "vibration may still be felt on certain driving conditions". Im still thinking about talking to the delaer about it but my lease is up in june and i just feel that i dont have the energy anymore to deal with the tlx issues. From the tranny change to the vibration, i feel like it's too damn much. Time to switch to lexus
Dumped my 15 TLX today with lease transfer, best feeling in the world! Dealership still had 4 non-MMC TLXs in showroom, getting desperate. Acura needs to do something soon, not sustainable especially after losing the reliability crown.

My brother spoke to an Acura mechanic (Type-S work being done), said that he heard many TLX owners being unhappy and complaining. I can see why with the way repairs/TSBs are being done.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 10-23-2017 at 08:55 PM.
pyrodan007 is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
SebringSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,226
Received 227 Likes on 111 Posts
OP, can you describe the vibration that youíre referring to?

Iím on my third TLX now, two of them being 2015s, but didnít notice any vibration.
SebringSilver is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM
  #8  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,277
Received 1,237 Likes on 750 Posts
Has anybody tried manually shifting down one gear while maintaining the same speed to see if the vibration goes away?
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:44 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18

Originally Posted by SebringSilver View Post
OP, can you describe the vibration that youíre referring to?

Iím on my third TLX now, two of them being 2015s, but didnít notice any vibration.
Wow, never felt vibrations on highway. Really surprised to hear this. Just do a search on this forum for " highway and vibration ".
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...lating-930607/
Tardym is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:54 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Has anybody tried manually shifting down one gear while maintaining the same speed to see if the vibration goes away?
This problem is not releted to transmission or shifting up or down. This issue is related ONLY to V6 SH-AWD and is from the rear sub-frame.

Thanks
Tardym is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 01:44 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym View Post
This problem is not releted to transmission or shifting up or down. This issue is related ONLY to V6 SH-AWD and is from the rear sub-frame.

Thanks
As another data point, I had a 2015 TLX FWD loaner and it had the vibration. It was very bad at or above 55mph. Lucky for me it was a loaner. I do feel bad for those who are dealing with the issues.

"Car performs as designed" my a$$. No car is designed to have vibration.
hadokenuh is offline  
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (04-20-2019)
Old 10-24-2017, 04:16 PM
  #12  
Senior Moderator
 
F23A4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 51
Posts: 16,493
Received 488 Likes on 326 Posts
Sounds like first production year blues. But I'll read through the thread posted above.

Hopefully I don't jinx the good fortune I'm having with my 16 V6.
F23A4 is offline  
Old 10-27-2017, 03:36 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MTL, Canada
Age: 51
Posts: 2,905
Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18
Do you have evidence that 2016-17-18 are affected?

Mine (2016 AWD) is butter-smooth.
Saintor is offline  
Old 10-27-2017, 03:45 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
quantum7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 796
Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I believe that in the US, TSB 16-057 is for the 2015 and the 2016.
quantum7 is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Do you have evidence that 2016-17-18 are affected?

Mine (2016 AWD) is butter-smooth.
Instead of always contradicting people, you should learn to read and pay attention to what others are writing. As mentioned in other post, mine is also a 2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD and the TSB dated Nov. 2016 mentionned 2015 and 2016 ( not the 2017 cause they were just released on the market ). So before critisizing everyone like you do in all post, just take 2 minutes to think.
Tardym is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Tardym:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-30-2017), slimm1469 (11-02-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:51 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
pyrodan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 601
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym View Post
Instead of always contradicting people, you should learn to read and pay attention to what others are writing. As mentioned in other post, mine is also a 2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD and the TSB dated Nov. 2016 mentionned 2015 and 2016 ( not the 2017 cause they were just released on the market ). So before critisizing everyone like you do in all post, just take 2 minutes to think.
Don't even bother with him, he's in denial just like Acura with it's inferior product.
pyrodan007 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:53 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MTL, Canada
Age: 51
Posts: 2,905
Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym View Post
Instead of always contradicting people, you should learn to read and pay attention to what others are writing. As mentioned in other post, mine is also a 2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD and the TSB dated Nov. 2016 mentionned 2015 and 2016 ( not the 2017 cause they were just released on the market ). So before critisizing everyone like you do in all post, just take 2 minutes to think.
Instead of insinuating stupid things, why did you keep out some important details? How were we supposed to know that you had a 2016? And again, do you have evidence that 2017-18 are affected?
Saintor is offline  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 PM
  #18  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,277
Received 1,237 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Instead of insinuating stupid things, why did you keep out some important details? How were we supposed to know that you had a 2016? And again, do you have evidence that 2017-18 are affected?
He did not need to ID his year. He has a vibration issue & the November 2016 TSB addresses the vibration issue related to 2016 vehicles. So his evidence that a 2016 vehicles have vibration issues is Acuras own TSB.

If the issue continues to exist only time will tell since it was late in the 2016 model year that Acura decided it still had vibration issues going into the 2016 cars. Next month Acura might decide that the issue has been carried forward into 2017. Also since sales are down since the car was introduced the issue could be slower in reaching critical mass for a 2017 TSB to be announced.

BTW isn't yours a 2016?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-30-2017 at 08:21 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
pyrodan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 601
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
He did not need to ID his year. He has a vibration issue & the November 2016 TSB addresses the vibration issue related to 2016 vehicles. So his evidence that a 2016 vehicles have vibration issues is Acuras own TSB.

If the issue continues to exist only time will tell since it was late in the 2016 model year that Acura decided it still had vibration issues going into the 2016 cars. Next month Acura might decide that the issue has been carried forward into 2017. Also since sales are down since the car was introduced the issue could be slower in reaching critical mass for a 2017 TSB to be announced.

BTW isn't yours a 2016?
He drives it in S+, fixes everything.
pyrodan007 is offline  
Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 AM
  #20  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
ggesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 12,391
Received 2,120 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Back on topic. Either answer the OP's question or don't bother posting. Thanks.
ggesq is offline  
The following users liked this post:
slimm1469 (11-02-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:23 PM
  #21  
Banned
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MTL, Canada
Age: 51
Posts: 2,905
Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
He did not need to ID his year. He has a vibration issue & the November 2016 TSB addresses the vibration issue related to 2016 vehicles. So his evidence that a 2016 vehicles have vibration issues is Acuras own TSB.

If the issue continues to exist only time will tell since it was late in the 2016 model year that Acura decided it still had vibration issues going into the 2016 cars. Next month Acura might decide that the issue has been carried forward into 2017. Also since sales are down since the car was introduced the issue could be slower in reaching critical mass for a 2017 TSB to be announced.

BTW isn't yours a 2016?
Yes it is, an early one BTW, and I have no idea what he is talking about, much less about 2017-2018.
Saintor is offline  
Old 10-31-2017, 08:49 PM
  #22  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,277
Received 1,237 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Yes it is, an early one BTW, and I have no idea what he is talking about, much less about 2017-2018.
You might not know what he is talking about but Honda/Acura does either through their own testing, numerous customer complaints or both of the above. That is why they issued a TSB on excessive vibration. Took a long time for them to issue one on the 6 speed MT (years) so they must have gotten some pretty good hits to release one so quickly on the 9ZF.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 12:29 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 40
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How bad is the vibration? I have a 2018 TLX with SH-AWD and I do notice the vibration of the passenger seat belt buckle more consistently. But drive wise, I only notice it occasionally and for a short period of time- particularly in the mornings- but it goes away after a bit of driving (5-10min). I have tried both up shifting and downshifting but neither seems to really affect it. So I'm wondering what would cause this, maybe tire pressure? Other than the vibration of the buckle and the occasional noticeable car vibration, the car is really smooth even at higher speeds and none of my passengers have ever said anything. For now, I don't have any other issues so I don't think I'll be taking it in until my first oil change unless it gets worse or if they finally have a fix for the issue because I don't want them mess with it and make it worse since it's not bad at the moment.
TAG18 is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 05:08 PM
  #24  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,277
Received 1,237 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by TAG18 View Post
How bad is the vibration? I have a 2018 TLX with SH-AWD and I do notice the vibration of the passenger seat belt buckle more consistently. But drive wise, I only notice it occasionally and for a short period of time- particularly in the mornings- but it goes away after a bit of driving (5-10min). I have tried both up shifting and downshifting but neither seems to really affect it. So I'm wondering what would cause this, maybe tire pressure? Other than the vibration of the buckle and the occasional noticeable car vibration, the car is really smooth even at higher speeds and none of my passengers have ever said anything. For now, I don't have any other issues so I don't think I'll be taking it in until my first oil change unless it gets worse or if they finally have a fix for the issue because I don't want them mess with it and make it worse since it's not bad at the moment.
Good rule to live by with cars & many other things, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 PM
  #25  
Excels at nothing
 
svtmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Age: 54
Posts: 36,086
Received 2,825 Likes on 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by TAG18 View Post
How bad is the vibration? I have a 2018 TLX with SH-AWD and I do notice the vibration of the passenger seat belt buckle more consistently. But drive wise, I only notice it occasionally and for a short period of time- particularly in the mornings- but it goes away after a bit of driving (5-10min). I have tried both up shifting and downshifting but neither seems to really affect it. So I'm wondering what would cause this, maybe tire pressure? Other than the vibration of the buckle and the occasional noticeable car vibration, the car is really smooth even at higher speeds and none of my passengers have ever said anything. For now, I don't have any other issues so I don't think I'll be taking it in until my first oil change unless it gets worse or if they finally have a fix for the issue because I don't want them mess with it and make it worse since it's not bad at the moment.
Could be flatspotting of the tires.

The original OEM tires on the 3G were infamous for this. Took Acura eons to admit there was a problem. This thread dredges up my only really bad memories of my TL ownership.
svtmike is online now  
The following users liked this post:
TAG18 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 AM
  #26  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
Could be flatspotting of the tires.

The original OEM tires on the 3G were infamous for this. Took Acura eons to admit there was a problem. This thread dredges up my only really bad memories of my TL ownership.
The flatspotting reason is a bullshit one. I live in Quebec where the temperature varies a lot and i had cars for the last 40 years, in this, 15 products from Honda (Accord, Civic, Crosstour) and never get that kind of stupid reason and never complain about the excellent service provided by any of the Honda dealers. Left car on the driveway or on the street for days, somtime for weeks, on any season and never had this "flatspotting" issue that cause the vibrations. The supposely "engineer" (went for engineer to a mechanical guy on the court contest letter from Acura) that came to see me at the dealer started with this reason at first, till i asked him, if he tought i was 12 years old child. Give me any reason, but not this one, i am not driving a Lambo , a Ferrari, an R8, or even a NSX, just an Accord with bit of luxury and a price tag of $50K.
Tardym is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 AM
  #27  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by TAG18 View Post
How bad is the vibration? I have a 2018 TLX with SH-AWD and I do notice the vibration of the passenger seat belt buckle more consistently. But drive wise, I only notice it occasionally and for a short period of time- particularly in the mornings- but it goes away after a bit of driving (5-10min). I have tried both up shifting and downshifting but neither seems to really affect it. So I'm wondering what would cause this, maybe tire pressure? Other than the vibration of the buckle and the occasional noticeable car vibration, the car is really smooth even at higher speeds and none of my passengers have ever said anything. For now, I don't have any other issues so I don't think I'll be taking it in until my first oil change unless it gets worse or if they finally have a fix for the issue because I don't want them mess with it and make it worse since it's not bad at the moment.
Hi TAG18,

The vibrations was horrible till they applied the Canadian TSB J-12-16 (ASB-J-12-16: VIBRATION FELT IN FRONT SEATS AND FLOOR AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS). The vibration was cut by 70-80 % but still there and no car should vibrate on highway or not, especially a car that said it is "Precision Crafted Performance" and that you paid big bucks for it. My sister own a 2015 Kia Forte and she is laughing everytime she sees me in my $50K car that vibrates on highway.
Tardym is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 40
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym View Post
Hi TAG18,

The vibrations was horrible till they applied the Canadian TSB J-12-16 (ASB-J-12-16: VIBRATION FELT IN FRONT SEATS AND FLOOR AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS). The vibration was cut by 70-80 % but still there and no car should vibrate on highway or not, especially a car that said it is "Precision Crafted Performance" and that you paid big bucks for it. My sister own a 2015 Kia Forte and she is laughing everytime she sees me in my $50K car that vibrates on highway.
I completely agree, no car should have vibration issues, especially a "luxury" car. Again, I only notice the seat belt issue, but other than that, I don't really have any issues (sorry didn't mention earlier. I have a non-A-spec too). I assume the vibration issue is similar to having unbalanced wheels/tires, is that correct? Just want to be aware in case I start noticing signs of it.
TAG18 is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 AM
  #29  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by TAG18 View Post
I completely agree, no car should have vibration issues, especially a "luxury" car. Again, I only notice the seat belt issue, but other than that, I don't really have any issues (sorry didn't mention earlier. I have a non-A-spec too). I assume the vibration issue is similar to having unbalanced wheels/tires, is that correct? Just want to be aware in case I start noticing signs of it.
Hi,

Maybe i did not mentioned, problem mostly occured with V6 SH-AWD, no need to be an A-Spec. Yes, it is similar as having an unbalanced wheel. In most cases, it only happen on highway at speed exceeding 110 KMH or 65 MPH.
Tardym is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 12:46 PM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 86
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TAG18 View Post
I completely agree, no car should have vibration issues, especially a "luxury" car. Again, I only notice the seat belt issue, but other than that, I don't really have any issues (sorry didn't mention earlier. I have a non-A-spec too). I assume the vibration issue is similar to having unbalanced wheels/tires, is that correct? Just want to be aware in case I start noticing signs of it.
Not really, at least not exclusively. I read here about two years ago, one lucky member had his vibration fixed. It was, as mentioned above by Tardyn, coming from the subframe which apparently isn't capable of handling the weight of the engine and AWD. I wish I'd saved the post. I remember the poster said the dealer applied additional isolation of the subframe to absorb the vibration.
There are countless posts here and on the other Acura forum by members trying different tires, alignment, Roadforce balancing, etc. Some found it helpful, most didn't. So it may be that the vibration is coming from more than one source in some cars, one of two in others.

Last edited by slimm1469; 11-02-2017 at 12:50 PM.
slimm1469 is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:23 PM
  #31  
Excels at nothing
 
svtmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Age: 54
Posts: 36,086
Received 2,825 Likes on 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym View Post
The flatspotting reason is a bullshit one. I live in Quebec where the temperature varies a lot and i had cars for the last 40 years, in this, 15 products from Honda (Accord, Civic, Crosstour) and never get that kind of stupid reason and never complain about the excellent service provided by any of the Honda dealers. Left car on the driveway or on the street for days, somtime for weeks, on any season and never had this "flatspotting" issue that cause the vibrations. The supposely "engineer" (went for engineer to a mechanical guy on the court contest letter from Acura) that came to see me at the dealer started with this reason at first, till i asked him, if he tought i was 12 years old child. Give me any reason, but not this one, i am not driving a Lambo , a Ferrari, an R8, or even a NSX, just an Accord with bit of luxury and a price tag of $50K.
Your experience notwithstanding, my experience was that Acura did spec different tires than Honda, those tires did flatspot, in this case the flatspotting did not disappear, and Acura ended up having Bridgestone redesign the tires.

I switched to Michelins and never had a hint of vibration again.

So it may be the tires. And they might be defective, or they might just be prone to flat-spotting. I suspect that because you say the vibration goes away after 5-10 minutes.

It might even be that all of your prior experience with Honda products does not make it impossible that your Acura has tires with this defect.
svtmike is online now  
Old 11-02-2017, 02:17 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
Your experience notwithstanding, my experience was that Acura did spec different tires than Honda, those tires did flatspot, in this case the flatspotting did not disappear, and Acura ended up having Bridgestone redesign the tires.

I switched to Michelins and never had a hint of vibration again.

So it may be the tires. And they might be defective, or they might just be prone to flat-spotting. I suspect that because you say the vibration goes away after 5-10 minutes.

It might even be that all of your prior experience with Honda products does not make it impossible that your Acura has tires with this defect.
Hi,
They told me the flatspotting reason few times with 3 different brands of tires, the original one, Eagle LS, my Michelin winter X-Ice XI3, and brand new Pirelli Pzero, all installed at the dealer by the dealer. By the way , i never said it was going away after 10-15 minutes.
Tardym is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 04:11 PM
  #33  
Excels at nothing
 
svtmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago
Age: 54
Posts: 36,086
Received 2,825 Likes on 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardym View Post
Hi,
They told me the flatspotting reason few times with 3 different brands of tires, the original one, Eagle LS, my Michelin winter X-Ice XI3, and brand new Pirelli Pzero, all installed at the dealer by the dealer. By the way , i never said it was going away after 10-15 minutes.
TAG18 said it was going away, and my suggestion of flatspotting was to him. You just jumped in and said flatspotting was bullshit because you never had the problem on a Honda.

I think it is a possibility for his car even though you have never experienced it.

Clear enough?
svtmike is online now  
Old 11-05-2017, 06:00 AM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
quantum7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 796
Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2018 TLX vibration - Acura TLX Forum

apparently some of the 2018 owners are getting the same problem.
quantum7 is offline  
Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2018 Advance SHAWD and have experienced the vibration usually between 65-75 disappearing thereafter. I swapped the Eagle LS2’s for Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring’s. The change helped a lot to reduce the noise and vibration that marred an otherwise sweet ride. Much quieter and better grip in the rain. The vibration symptoms are very subtle now. Not gone but a lot less noticeable.
umbl0 is offline  
Old 11-13-2017, 08:46 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 56
Posts: 45
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a 2018 TLX A-Spec FWD and have a vibration that starts around 75 up to 80 MPH. It feels like itís the rear part of the car, so Iím getting all four wheels rebalanced this weekend. I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I sure hope itís not a structural problem. The hood only has an attached strut on the passenger side and this leaves the driver side half of the hood loose and moves a fair amount with the vibration.
freakerdude is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 AM
  #37  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Age: 57
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by freakerdude View Post
I just bought a 2018 TLX A-Spec FWD and have a vibration that starts around 75 up to 80 MPH. It feels like itís the rear part of the car, so Iím getting all four wheels rebalanced this weekend. I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I sure hope itís not a structural problem. The hood only has an attached strut on the passenger side and this leaves the driver side half of the hood loose and moves a fair amount with the vibration.
Hi Freakdude,

Let us know the result of rebalancing your wheels. It rarely happen on FWD, but it's not impossible.

Thanks, Mickey
Tardym is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM
  #38  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Age: 64
Posts: 66
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a '18 TLX A-SPEC SH-AWD loaner for 5 days while they worked on my 3G TL. I made several trips on the highway and knew what to look for on this issue. I will have to say for this car....no issues, smooth as can be, however I do understand it seems to be the luck of the draw if you have the vibration issue.
DLM1213 is offline  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM
  #39  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 34
Posts: 303
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2016 i4 got the same problem between 70-80 mph, but only when I left go of the gas. Took it in and they said they won't drive it past 70 and there isn't any TSB for my year so gotta deal with that :\ My other vibration is during idle, come with rattling as well. The adviser and the tech felt it as well but cannot find the problem so pretty much I gotta deal with it... I test drove couple 2016 v6 and a 2017 sh-awd while my car in the shop for varies issues, and never felt any vibration at high speed. It a hit n miss thing and don't think Acura gonna fix this unless there is a massive lawsuit lol
noclue02 is offline  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM
  #40  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 955
Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by noclue02 View Post
My 2016 i4 got the same problem between 70-80 mph, but only when I left go of the gas. Took it in and they said they won't drive it past 70 and there isn't any TSB for my year so gotta deal with that :\ My other vibration is during idle, come with rattling as well. The adviser and the tech felt it as well but cannot find the problem so pretty much I gotta deal with it... I test drove couple 2016 v6 and a 2017 sh-awd while my car in the shop for varies issues, and never felt any vibration at high speed. It a hit n miss thing and don't think Acura gonna fix this unless there is a massive lawsuit lol
That's one of my favorite responses. LOL. I'd tell them to tell Acura don't make the tachometer past 70. Geeze

For the idle vibration, it happens with most 4cyl cars unless they really do something about it with the design. Honda/Acura 4cyl cars tend to get that a lot. However the BMW turbo'ed 4cyle cars don't get them.
hadokenuh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.