Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18

Old 11-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by noclue02
My 2016 i4 got the same problem between 70-80 mph, but only when I left go of the gas. Took it in and they said they won't drive it past 70 and there isn't any TSB for my year so gotta deal with that
LOL if they tried to road test it here at 70MPH on 540 there is a good chance they would get run over from behind. Why not you drive & they ride along?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
LOL if they tried to road test it here at 70MPH on 540 there is a good chance they would get run over from behind. Why not you drive & they ride along?
I did test drive once with a regional director, but then that's during day time and socal freeway are not friendly enough for the speed. I did get up to speed on a short distance but he didn't felt the vibration. Can't do much when he said it is not there lol
Old 11-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took my one week old 2018 TLX A-Spec FWD to the dealership today and explained the 75MPH vibration issue to the service agent. I told him that I can see the passenger seat back shake and he kind of acted like it was no big surprise. So they checked the balancing on all four tires and all came out well. When he came to get me from the service area, he told me the Honda has knowledge to a vibration issue and there is no resolution to it at this time. So basically he told me that it’s being looked into and that he owned a 2016 TLX that does the same thing. I find it very odd that this seems to be somewhat acceptable.

Last edited by freakerdude; 11-18-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:56 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration Issue

Hello

I had a 2015 TLX V6 elite and had bad vibration from 70km/h to 120km/h. After numerous attempts to fix it I was told by Honda Canada that this vibration was an inherent trait of the vehicle. After 4 months of back and forth and me driving my car for only 10 days in that 4 months they agreed to take me outof my lease. I am not in a small claims court proceeding with Honda Canada and the dealership. My understand that in late 2016 they came up with a fix for the vibration issue. If anyone has gotten the fix can you tell me if it worked 100% as my understanding is that it has not. If anyone has had the same vibration issue can you please contact me and let me know what you have been told and if they have resolved your issue. I need to know within the next few weeks. Thank you
Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Received 998 Likes on 571 Posts
^^^ David Isabello

I know you are looking for information to help you with your case but please do not post the same exact thing three times in a row. I deleted two of the posts.
The following users liked this post:
WDPanda (06-11-2021)
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi David,

This is exactly the reason of my prosecution against Acura Canada and the dealer. They had a TSB for Canada J-12-16 and US 16-009 (Vibration Felt in Floor at Highway Speed). They did apply it to my vehicule and to some other one and for most of us, we are still feeling the vibration at speed over 110KM/H. So after 2 formal notices they stiil saying that the car run as expected and that the vibration is normal and part of the specification. I am not the only one that got this answer from Acura, just do a quick search on the forum and you will see by yourself.

So far people in some US states are lucky enough to have the "lemon Law" that we do not have in Canada. This is why i am using the small claims that we have access too in Quebec, Canada. I am also the only one that i know that is prosecuting Acura Canada, don't ask me why i am the only one, i really dont know. But when you spend that kind of money on a car, you expect that car to run flawless, no matter the condition you drive it . Probably cause people do not have time and energy to do so. But i am really stubborn and if they think they will get away that easy this is too bad for them. We work too hard for our money.

I am not the only one having this problem and that they will not do anything more for us,as the car works as expected for them.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 11-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced

To all,

Would be good to know if someone from the US as successfully used the "Lemon Law" against Acura in one of the state that have this option.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 PM
4th Gear

Court

Hello

I am taking them to court in Toronto in December if you could forward me a letter and info in relation to the service recall engine mounts and transmission mounts they replaced but vibration still exists would be great. My email is double_27@hotmail.com

Thank you

David
Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

Vibration Issue

I forgot to mention that mine vibrated between 70km/h and 110km/h
Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 PM
4th Gear

Vibration Issue

Sorry 70km/h to 120km/h. They changed my tires, did a road force balance, disconnected the rear differential and nothing worked. I am pretty sure they knew of this issue prior to the production and relased of this car.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tardym
I am from Montreal,Quebec,Canada.
In our privince, there is a Small Claims Division, where someone can sue a company or a person for a maximum of $15K . This is what i am trying to do with Acura and the dealer. This only cost $200.00 to register your case and then you can choose to hire a lawyer or plead your case alone. If i win, this will server others as " a case of law ".

Thanks.
There is a federal program that is better suited for this process - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (see CAMVAP - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan ).
I know someone that had vibration issues with their TLX and went through this process and go their money back. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It might not be the facts but my 2018 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec feels lumpy on the highway just cruising from 65-85 MPH to the point it feels like a bent rim etc. I need to the same car that doesnt have it to see if it is normal.
IT is very annoying to me as it reminds me when you get some light snow packed inside the rim that throws the balance off a bit on highway speeds. I need to look down next time to see if my man boobs are jiggling or not lol
Old 12-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec
It might not be the facts but my 2018 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec feels lumpy on the highway just cruising from 65-85 MPH to the point it feels like a bent rim etc. I need to the same car that doesnt have it to see if it is normal.
IT is very annoying to me as it reminds me when you get some light snow packed inside the rim that throws the balance off a bit on highway speeds. I need to look down next time to see if my man boobs are jiggling or not lol
Hi Temp_A-Spec,

Do you feel it in your seat or on the floor ? This is the common denominator for the vibration issue. Some of you that own a 2018 SH-AWD already reported the problem we had with previous years. Let me know if you can feel a light vibration in your seat or on the floor.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 12-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
That sucks. For a 2018 model.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Agree. I was really thinking of getting the '18.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
I have about 4300 miles on my sh-awd A-Spec and it has no vibration and have had it up a bit over 90 a few times on some fairly long road trips and a lot of cruising 70-80 for hours. It does have some downshifting/lag issues with the trans but vibration free at least. The car overall is very smooth cruising at highways speeds or any speed for that matter..
Old 01-14-2018, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have 7500 miles on my A-Spec SH-AWD and I not no vibrations at all, at any speed. Very smooth generally. I'm quite pleased with it. Just adding another positive report to the mix. I admit I'm thinking about testing the VCM Muzzler, just because. Honestly, if I noticed a vibration the first thing I would think of is a bent rim. Even a mild bend can cause lots of issues. Been there (with another car) and done that.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
I have 5,300 miles on my SHAWD A-spec and I have absolutely no vibration issues. I live in Southern Cali and consistently drive at 70-80 miles per hour on our freeways for 15-20 miles. Ride quality is not in issue with that car. Actually it's one of the car's strengths.

Last edited by Honda430; 01-14-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear

Good day everyone

As most of you might have notice in some threads, I am suing Acura for the unresolved vibration problem. After opening a court case, they decided to challenge my lawsuit and go to court.
I must therefore accumulate as much details as possible on this problem and the steps taken by the owners to solve the problem with Acura.

I need to know what Acura told you about this issue. Steps to resolve and also the outcoming. Like in my case they did apply all TBS’s and the problem still exist. Yes, the vibration is less than before, but still there and it should not, especially for a $50K (Canadian $) car. The last answer from Acura , was the car behave as is should and never mentioned that the car should not vibrate.

The more I will get from all of you, the greater are the chance of getting a winning case. And if successful, you will all have something to fight for.

Thank everyone for your support.
I have a 2017 Acura TLX bought in May 2017 and it has a vibration issue. I noticed it immediately. I have dropped off the car at the dealer and they are trying to fix it at this point.
We are several weeks in and they are still working on it. no solution.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
I have 5,300 miles on my SHAWD A-spec and I have absolutely no vibration issues. I live in Southern Cali and consistently drive at 70-80 miles per hour on our freeways for 15-20 miles. Ride quality is not in issue with that car. Actually it's one of the car's strengths.
I have one of the earliest SH-AWD TLXs, (Nov 2014) and I have never had this problem. The only thing close that I had was after the transmission was replaced (and I love the new one) they had to resynch the active engine mounts to make a pretty dramatic engine vibe go away. But I do have 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on it. I love the ride and the handling.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheSlash My car is in service, and it looks like they are changing engine mounts in addition to transmission software updates. I believe there were 2 updates. ( my car is 2015 TLX SH-AWD ). In my case it's nothing to do with my tires or alignment or speed. It comes down to lower RPM steady cruising around 1250 RPM ( 1200 -1500). When torque converter gets locked, you can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel, transmission, even pedals. They say it's normal to get that torque converter lock at low RPM cruising speeds, but it's not normal to get that much vibration. I have not noticed this problem before and I have around 30 k on this car.
I hope you were able to get this issue resolved.
In addition to the problem reported above there was also an idle vibration while in D or R when car is not moving and vibration would be reduced by shifting in the Neutral or Reverse.
Update:
My issue was resolved. Got my car back and after 4 transmission software updates ( plus one that was already done back in 2015), engine mounts replaced and few other things done to the car ( all listed in the Acura Service Bulletins). Happy to report that car has no vibrations anymore. It appears to be fixed. I'll have to test more, specially in the cold weather but it looks good. It drives like new.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheSlash
Originally Posted by TheSlash My car is in service, and it looks like they are changing engine mounts in addition to transmission software updates. I believe there were 2 updates. ( my car is 2015 TLX SH-AWD ). In my case it's nothing to do with my tires or alignment or speed. It comes down to lower RPM steady cruising around 1250 RPM ( 1200 -1500). When torque converter gets locked, you can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel, transmission, even pedals. They say it's normal to get that torque converter lock at low RPM cruising speeds, but it's not normal to get that much vibration. I have not noticed this problem before and I have around 30 k on this car.
I hope you were able to get this issue resolved.
In addition to the problem reported above there was also an idle vibration while in D or R when car is not moving and vibration would be reduced by shifting in the Neutral or Reverse.
Update:
My issue was resolved. Got my car back and after 4 transmission software updates ( plus one that was already done back in 2015), engine mounts replaced and few other things done to the car ( all listed in the Acura Service Bulletins). Happy to report that car has no vibrations anymore. It appears to be fixed. I'll have to test more, specially in the cold weather but it looks good. It drives like new.
Hi The Slash,
Good news for you sir. Mine is still having issues after all TSB done and 3 different tire changes They told me there was nothing else thay could do for me and that all car on the road vibrate in a way or another. So this is why I decided to bring them to court. They are disputing my lawsuit and I am still waiting for my audition date.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 01-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

Hi The Slash,
Good news for you sir. Mine is still having issues after all TSB done and 3 different tire changes They told me there was nothing else thay could do for me and that all car on the road vibrate in a way or another. So this is why I decided to bring them to court. They are disputing my lawsuit and I am still waiting for my audition date.

Thanks, Mickey
I really feel that Acura dealer should have done more for you. I can assure you that my car is back to normal. If they can not bring your car back to normal, they should provide you with an option that would work for you. Hopefully you can achieve that through the lawsuit, but it's really sad that you go that far without resolution.
Good luck to you and keep us posted!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Googled and the vibration is real, wow! Even the 2015-2017 Honda CR-V AWD drive is having issues with vibration.

Have you thought about doing some Video shots while test driving with other TLX and other TLX as well?

Last edited by nothome17; 01-23-2018 at 08:41 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Racer

To put a positive spin to this vibration issue. At least you get a free add-on massage.

The following 3 users liked this post by nothome17:
9SpeedTran (08-27-2018), crxb (10-26-2018), hadokenuh (02-07-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nothome17
To put a positive spin to this vibration issue. At least you get a free add-on massage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qJ-WCOlalI
Hi Nothome 17,

I did 2 videos , one before the TSB's were applied and a second one after the TSB's, sent them to Acura, Answer from Acura Canada, these vibrations are "Normal" cause the seat belts are attached to the sub-frame ??? My question to them was, And where are the seats attached ??? On an Air cushion ??? .... Bullshit.

Thanks Mickey

Thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Racer

Hi Nothome 17,

I did 2 videos , one before the TSB's were applied and a second one after the TSB's, sent them to Acura, Answer from Acura Canada, these vibrations are "Normal" cause the seat belts are attached to the sub-frame ??? My question to them was, And where are the seats attached ??? On an Air cushion ??? .... Bullshit.

Thanks Mickey

Thanks
If your willing, can counter them by using a vibration meter and record your TLX with other TLX that don't have the issue. Check out what Engineering Explained does on his test videos to get ideas on how to log your results.

https://www.amazon.com/VM6310-Digital-Vibration-Vibrometer-VM-6310/dp/B00KCO798K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516821553&sr=8-7&keywords=vibration+meter https://www.amazon.com/VM6310-Digital-Vibration-Vibrometer-VM-6310/dp/B00KCO798K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516821553&sr=8-7&keywords=vibration+meter

Last edited by nothome17; 01-24-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Racer

Any updates with your fight with Corporate Honda?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Hi NotHome17,

Still waiting for the court date, can take up to 18 months in Quebec where I live. Another member from TLX Forum (David I ) had his trial with Honda/Acura in December in Toronto and won his case, do not have all details but I requested a transcript of the trial and should have it in the middle on February. When I will get it , I will keep you all posted.

Thanks, Mickey
nothome17 (01-29-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me know if and when you get an update. I'm in Ontario and just as frustrated with my 2016 TLX. This was the third car I bought from my sales manager at Acura and he looked genuinely sorry that he sold me a defective car without realizing it. I found out on my drive home that the car vibrated once you reached 100 km/h. He was nice enough to change out the rims and tires the very next business day, but it didn't fix it. I called corporate and they basically said I was SOL. Won't be buying any more junk from Acura again.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:48 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
FYI: Never had the problem in my 2015 SH-AWD TLX
My new SH-AWD A-Spec, I had up to 90MPH, at 35PSI, & ZILCH; PERFECT!
9SpeedTran (02-07-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
@nothome.....shot in the dark here, but tell your servicing dealer the receptacle for the passenger seat belt needs to be "re-anchored". Not just "vibrating".

I have a 2018 and don't have any vibration issues after 7,000 miles.

Not sure how Canada works, but I had a Cadillac CTS lemon that Cadillac bought back in Ohio. But, it was because wiring shorted out and caught on fire under the engine bay. Plus, after having the car in their service dept for over 2 months they still couldn't get parts to fix it. Even at that, it took me nearly 9 months and had to submit to arbitration to get the car repurchased with all of my money refunded.

If it's not safety related, or emissions related, it's tough to get a buyback decision in your favor.

Show your dealership the video. That will make it clear to them what you're talking about. Not a technician, but there may be some sort of bolt or fastener that needs replacing.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by graphicguy
@nothome.....shot in the dark here, but tell your servicing dealer the receptacle for the passenger seat belt needs to be "re-anchored". Not just "vibrating".

I have a 2018 and don't have any vibration issues after 7,000 miles.

Not sure how Canada works, but I had a Cadillac CTS lemon that Cadillac bought back in Ohio. But, it was because wiring shorted out and caught on fire under the engine bay. Plus, after having the car in their service dept for over 2 months they still couldn't get parts to fix it. Even at that, it took me nearly 9 months and had to submit to arbitration to get the car repurchased with all of my money refunded.

If it's not safety related, or emissions related, it's tough to get a buyback decision in your favor.

Show your dealership the video. That will make it clear to them what you're talking about. Not a technician, but there may be some sort of bolt or fastener that needs replacing.
Hi ,

I sent these videos to Acura Canada and after showing them to their engineer, they sent me back this answer: The vibration is normal as the seat belt is attached on the subframe. When I mentionned to them that this might be the cause of my vibrations problem in the seat and the floor, they told me it was not possible?? Then I ask them, where is my seat attached, on an air cushion ??? They never reply back.

Thanks

For S1LV3R-S4MUR41

I am waiting for the transcrypt on the court case from the guy that won in Ontario. As soon as I receive it, I will deposit it at my court as a proof. Keep you posted.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Pro

OK.....I’m curious. Does the seat belt “rattle” when you have a passenger in the passenger seat with the seat belt buckled?

Hi ,

I sent these videos to Acura Canada and after showing them to their engineer, they sent me back this answer: The vibration is normal as the seat belt is attached on the subframe. When I mentionned to them that this might be the cause of my vibrations problem in the seat and the floor, they told me it was not possible?? Then I ask them, where is my seat attached, on an air cushion ??? They never reply back.

Thanks

For S1LV3R-S4MUR41

I am waiting for the transcrypt on the court case from the guy that won in Ontario. As soon as I receive it, I will deposit it at my court as a proof. Keep you posted.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced

OK.....I’m curious. Does the seat belt “rattle” when you have a passenger in the passenger seat with the seat belt buckled?

Hi Graphicguy,

Nope it does not, probably due to the seatbelt tension on the buckle, but the passenger can feel the vibrations. And like mentionned on previous post, Acura fixed about 80% of the problem by applying all TSB available for TLX. But it is the 20% that remain there that is the problem.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 02-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
FYI: Never had the problem in my 2015 SH-AWD TLX
My new SH-AWD A-Spec, I had up to 90MPH, at 35PSI, & ZILCH; PERFECT!
I think this is what scares me the most about the issue. Some people have the problem, some don't, and Acura does not know what the issue is or how to solve it.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
Exactly, some cars have the issue and some don't. So, why do some experience them?

No issues on my end but I would be pissed if someone told me that this is normal.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Pro

Kind of surprised the dealership couldn't find a way to reinstall or attach the seat belt buckle to keep it from "flopping" around. Seems like an easy fix to me. Either that, or the seat belt buckle has somehow partially "detached" in some way making it flop around.

I'd take it to another dealer and let them take a look at it.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Kind of surprised the dealership couldn't find a way to reinstall or attach the seat belt buckle to keep it from "flopping" around. Seems like an easy fix to me. Either that, or the seat belt buckle has somehow partially "detached" in some way making it flop around.

I'd take it to another dealer and let them take a look at it.
Hi Graphicguy,

Already done this and the car was verified and TBS applied not by the technician in the sevice dept at the dealer, but by the Ingineer that Acura sent to the dealer.... same answer, normal behaviour... LOL

Thanks, Mickey
Old 04-25-2018, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

Another experience on the vibration topic

Hi all -

Interesting (and depressing) thread. I have a 2016 TLX Elite SH-AWD. Goodyear Eagle LS tires. Located in Ottawa Canada. Dealer is Camco Acura. Had and continue to have the same vibration issue. Originally between 115 km/h to 125 km/h. At 130 km/h, it drives like a dream. In summer 2017, I brought it into the dealer and they performed the TSB work. Got it back. Vibration was reduced to milder and a smaller range - say 118 km/h to 123 km/h. I find it varies depending on the road surface conditions. Over the winter, with Michelin xIce 3 tires the vibration is much less noticeable - nearly gone. Again, it depended on the road conditions. Not sure what to do at this point but I feel the pain, more so when you think how much you've shelled out for this car. "Normal behaviour" is an unacceptable answer. More frustrating as its not all TLXs. Furthermore I had a 2013 RDX and recently swapped it for a 2018 RDX because I love that SUV.

Have an appointment with Acura tomorrow for something else. Will bring this up but not expecting any great news. Too bad because otherwise I really love the car and the brand.

Would hate to have to go to court for this but perhaps that's the only answer now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18