VCM Related vibration corrected - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

VCM Related vibration corrected

Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

VCM Related vibration corrected

After getting my transmission replaced, I noticed at certain points a pronounced vibration, reminiscent of lugging the engine by being in too high a gear with a manual transmission. This occurred primarily when the VCM kicked in and the RPMs were 1300 - 1600. It did happen once or twice without the VCM kicking in, as well, at about the same RPM range. At first I thought this was just a feature of the new transmission, but then I read a post here by one other person who reported the same phenomenon and it turned out to be a bad front engine mount

I took it in to Acura and said, I would like to get this fixed since I am almost out of warranty, and here's what I think it is. They took it in and after several days and multiple calls to TechLine got it corrected. My engine mounts were all reporting they were working fine, but still the vibration was there. The key to fixing the problem was a process called "neutralizing" the engine mounts, and the first time they tried it, it didn't work. Apparently the car has to be in gear when the procedure is done. Anyways, now the car is smooth as butter when the VCM kicks in, the way it was before I got the new transmission.

Just wanted to share that in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 9SpeedTran For This Useful Post:
a35tl (05-08-2017), bbast07 (05-08-2017), hadokenuh (03-14-2019), nick7714 (05-10-2017), quantum7 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Glad they got it fixed.

Curious, how many times did you have to take your car in before getting the transmission replaced?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

My VCM vibration has been rectified also. I installed the VCMuzzler...
Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
Glad they got it fixed.

Curious, how many times did you have to take your car in before getting the transmission replaced?
Actually it was kind of an evolving thing. I had the TSBs done and they didnt fix the problem, so I started planning with my service person how to document getting it fixed. Right about then they came out with the update that included how to get the replacement authorized, so we did the steps and then scheduled the replacement. I feel profoundly fortunate for the relationship I have with my service dept!!!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran View Post
After getting my transmission replaced, I noticed at certain points a pronounced vibration, reminiscent of lugging the engine by being in too high a gear with a manual transmission. This occurred primarily when the VCM kicked in and the RPMs were 1300 - 1600. It did happen once or twice without the VCM kicking in, as well, at about the same RPM range. At first I thought this was just a feature of the new transmission, but then I read a post here by one other person who reported the same phenomenon and it turned out to be a bad front engine mount

I took it in to Acura and said, I would like to get this fixed since I am almost out of warranty, and here's what I think it is. They took it in and after several days and multiple calls to TechLine got it corrected. My engine mounts were all reporting they were working fine, but still the vibration was there. The key to fixing the problem was a process called "neutralizing" the engine mounts, and the first time they tried it, it didn't work. Apparently the car has to be in gear when the procedure is done. Anyways, now the car is smooth as butter when the VCM kicks in, the way it was before I got the new transmission.

Just wanted to share that in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.
I've just had my transmission on 2015 TLX SHAWD replaced (yesterday) and am experiencing the same vibration/shudder problems that you detailed. Today I called the dealer telling him about the vibration and that it may be the engine mounts needing resynchronization based on online forum reviews. Dealer suggested that given that transmission has just been replaced that I should allow the car to "learn" first by driving it for 1-2 weeks.
How long did you drive your car after replacing the transmission befroe you took it back to the dealer?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RBruce View Post
I've just had my transmission on 2015 TLX SHAWD replaced (yesterday) and am experiencing the same vibration/shudder problems that you detailed. Today I called the dealer telling him about the vibration and that it may be the engine mounts needing resynchronization based on online forum reviews. Dealer suggested that given that transmission has just been replaced that I should allow the car to "learn" first by driving it for 1-2 weeks.
How long did you drive your car after replacing the transmission befroe you took it back to the dealer?
I took it back to Acura after a couple weeks. Regular mechanic not there. They did the vibration TSB (replacing shock absorbers etc) which did not help. Brought it back following week, regular mechanic there, and he fixed it. He later said it was a step in replacing transmission and he missed it. Not sure if that's true or he just FELT he missed it (he's a great guy).
Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Are you in US or Canada?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Are you in US or Canada?
US, DC area
Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

BTW, make sure you get the SW update done (the latest recall). What a difference? The engine lunges forward now. Wow!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:18 PM

BTW, make sure you get the SW update done (the latest recall). What a difference? The engine lunges forward now. Wow!
When I first complained about the hard shifting in 1/2 and 2/3 to the Dealer, they did 2 SW updates and when this didn't work, they replaced/repaired the transmission - the SW update that you mentioned, is this in addition to the 2 SW updates the Dealer performed before replacing my transmission?
Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

When I first complained about the hard shifting in 1/2 and 2/3 to the Dealer, they did 2 SW updates and when this didn't work, they replaced/repaired the transmission - the SW update that you mentioned, is this in addition to the 2 SW updates the Dealer performed before replacing my transmission?
Yes, see this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...at-tlx-977224/
The Following User Says Thank You to 9SpeedTran For This Useful Post:
RBruce (03-11-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Question

Originally Posted by Robs252 View Post
My VCM vibration has been rectified also. I installed the VCMuzzler...
Does this fix it for the 2018 also?
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

I took it back to Acura after a couple weeks. Regular mechanic not there. They did the vibration TSB (replacing shock absorbers etc) which did not help. Brought it back following week, regular mechanic there, and he fixed it. He later said it was a step in replacing transmission and he missed it. Not sure if that's true or he just FELT he missed it (he's a great guy).
Besides the rumbling when VCM kicks in, I seem to also have a subtle vibration in my steering even at idle - did you have that too?
I'm planning to o back to the dealer this week.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Besides the rumbling when VCM kicks in, I seem to also have a subtle vibration in my steering even at idle - did you have that too?
I'm planning to o back to the dealer this week.
Did not have the steering wheel vibration at idle. But this fix may correct it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.