Type S want list

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Type S want list

This is NO particular order but some of the things I would love to see in the 2020/21 A-Spec. Just random thoughts. Sure there are more others can add or dislike.

1-Dump the jewel headlights and replace them with more aggressive round units, two on each side, a civic has the jewel lights now. Something else is more aggressive versus a star trek futuristic look.
2-Have a user setting to only have the LED front lights on during daytime rather that the headlights at low power
3-Up the HP to around 340 or more
4-Replace the ZF9 with a responsive transmission that puts the power down to the wheels, the current engine while not underpowered feels like it is due to the trans.
5-Add the quad exhaust back or at least have dual exhaust diffusers that are not fake large exhaust like the A-Spec
6-Do not pipe in exhaust, have a nice tuned exhaust like 3rd gen type S that is quiet but sounds great when you step into it
7-Much better gas pedal response, the current tlx lacks any sensitivity of a performance car
8-Bring back the aluminum brake and gas pedals. Just a nice touch.
9-Red gauge and button backlighting. Distinguishes the type S from the other models and looks great.
10-Big brake package with larger rotors and 4 caliper pistons, no brainer.
11-Do-over of the rear diffuser. Too large and nothing special now.
12-Add a little more fender flair. Never hurts and allows wider tires.
13-Make the auto-stop a user setting, nobody wants it.
14-Make CMBS a user setting as well.
15-Team up with Bose or another company on the sound system. The ELS system is weak.
16-Add some soft touch to the door panels and do something about the plastic injected mold look of the dashboard.
17-Make the trunk spoiler body color, or at least have that as an option
18-Increase the options on the leather, alacantra and red or too limited based on the body colors
19-Bring back the silver, not even sure why you can't get a silver/black A-Spec.

This is probably a bit early but we have a couple years to stew on changes.

Last edited by jhb31; 03-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
With all those wants you will be probably adding another 5-10k on the car.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flipster23
With all those wants you will be probably adding another 5-10k on the car.
Possibly but seeing another forum member recently bought an A-Spec sh-awd for $38.1K if the price is somewhere in mid range of what you're thinking I would be up for it. Some of the items are just software updates, granted few but some. The rest are at least to me worth a few extra bucks. They will always offer lower priced models, a Type S should have some items that are unique but not hit a crazy price point.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
350+ hp
Old 03-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teh CL
350+ hp
Yes, but what other changes? Is just an hp upgrade enough?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
My list in no particular order:

350 hp
6sp manual (I know... it's my list )
Virtual Cockpit
LED Tail lights
Adjustable dampers
Bigger brakes
Different rims from ASpec
Real exposed dual/quad exhausts
Slightly more aggressive suspension (doesn't need to be slammed, but more pronounced than ASpec and regular models)
Stickier tire options
Old 03-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
600hp with sh-sh-sh-sh-awd
Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer

350 hp
Virtual Cockpit
LED Tail lights
Adjustable dampers
Bigger brakes
Slightly more aggressive suspension (doesn't need to be slammed, but more pronounced than ASpec and regular models)
Stickier tire options
Yeah, three pedals under the dash for the MFing win.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Latent car nut

Almost as good as sex:
Old 03-27-2018, 07:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Good list

Let's hope we get 80% of them.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
+1 for:
  • Ditch the electronically enhanced exhaust notes
  • Add a tuned exhaust
  • Add a manual transmission which is at least a 6 speed
  • Add real exhaust ports
  • Add Brembo Brakes
  • Add power folding side mirrors
  • Ditch Auto Idle Stop or at least make it a user settting
  • Add a more aggressive suspension
  • Add 100% LED lighting, or at least LED compatible turn signals w/o hyper-blink
  • Add a more responsive driver interface
  • Add Surround Camera View
  • Add heated rear seats
  • Ditch the AUX port
  • Add more USB ports, including at least one where the AUX port currently is placed and some for rear passengers
  • Ditch ELS sound system
  • Add Bang & Olufsen premium sound system
  • Harmonize on a single touchscreen display that integrates with the center stack, vs. looking like someone just jammed a tablet into the dash as was done with the new Honda Accord
  • Ditch the Navigation or at least don't charge extra for it. IMHO, Waze on my cell phone does a much better job so why charge for something that's just plain obsolete?
  • Add support for lossless audio formats
  • Add support for current filesystem formats on USB drives...Windows 95 called, said it wants it's FAT32 filesytem back!
  • Add a tool to unlock the AWD transmission in the trunk, this should have been included from day one!
  • Add spare tire as standard, this seems like it should never have been made optional!
  • Improve the collision mitigation braking system so that it has less false alarms and doesn't unnecessarily risk whiplash
...just to name a few

Last edited by 18TLXAspec; 03-27-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts

350 hp
Virtual Cockpit
LED Tail lights
Adjustable dampers
Bigger brakes
Stickier tire options
I'm guessing we see most of these, with the possible exception of the 6MT (which I would personally love to see). If they produce something like this with the 6MT, I'm in for sure. Yes, I know modern slushboxes are great and DCTs are faster, but with the 6MT there is a direct motor to tire connection that is not dependent on programming logic and the like. I think we'll know more in about 18 months, or slightly less.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
My list:
- 350 to 400 hp with similar torque around this range
- More aggressive exhausts notes, but I don't want a constant drone when at highway speeds. The exhaust note on my previous BMW was perfect. Nice rumble when you stepped on it, but otherwise it was non-intrusive during non-spirited driving.
- Sport seats with adjustable side bolsters and thigh extension
- Meaty sport steering wheel. The current A-Spec is an improvement over the standard model, but I want a bit more thickness. Flat-bottom is nice but not necessary. Power adjustable is nice as well, but not necessary.
- LED lights everywhere. Tungsten filament lights does not belong in a lux vehicle in this current decade.
- Power rear sunshade. Manual sunshades on the rear doors are acceptable.
- Sticky summer tires on 19" wheels. 20" optional wheels for those that like the minimal rubber look.
- Sport suspension with adaptive dampers
- Black headliner and aluminum pedals
- Digital cockpit
- Maybe a slightly more aggressive spoiler compared to the current A-Spec, but I don't want a gigantic wing like the STI

Looking at the upcoming RDX, we can see items and features that will probably trickle through the rest of the lineup, including the TLX Type-S:
- New generation ELS audio system with roof speakers
- Pano moonroof
- 16-way adjustable power seats
- New infotainment system and digital cockpit (the RDX isn't full digital, but I'm expecting the TLX and MDX to get full digital)

As for the transmission, does anyone have an idea of what Acura will be using? The in-house 10AT supposedly has an a limit around the 275 hp/torque range, the 8DCT can't handle the power either and I doubt they'll be using the ZF9 again. Maybe an upgraded in-house 10AT to handle the power?

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 03-27-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:30 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Yes, Pano moonroof and a HUD would be nice too. Wireless CarPlay/Android auto also please. Regarding the 6sp manual, I wonder what the take rate would have to be to make it financially worth while for Acura. 10%? Which would make it about 3500 cars give or take. I'd seriously even consider paying extra for a manual, that's how much I want one. I hate even saying that, but I'd rather pay than not have the option at all. Strange how the manual ends up being the option in this day and age when in the past you paid extra for the automatic.

Last edited by Speed_Racer; 03-27-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Strange how the manual ends up being the option in this day and age when in the past you paid extra for the automatic.
Its now a non standard, low volume item that needs its own certification, maintenance & parts chain. Given the low volume of the entire TLX line I don't see how an MT could ever meet any corporate ROI threshold.

Also as other brands drop it the competitive pressure to have one goes away.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its now a non standard, low volume item that needs its own certification, maintenance & parts chain. Given the low volume of the entire TLX line I don't see how an MT could ever meet any corporate ROI threshold.

You're killing my dream Bear!!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I wish Acura improves FR weight balance from 60:40 (not sure what all they can do without longitudinal engine). And i wish they improve hardware/software of SHAWD so that you dont need POWER ON all the time to feel it..Handling should be as neutral as possible in normal driving situations..
Old 03-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Latent car nut

The one reason why some makers may well continue offering manual transmissions for the foreseeable future is the cachet; in spite of the fact the cars may well cost the maker a bit more than otherwise identical cars with automatic transmissions (even if the price of the cars with three pedals is a grand or two higher), the press and the driving-enthusiast public seem to gush over cars with manual transmissions, and that kind of buzz is never a bad thing. Think about it, after a minimum of ten years, how much buzz is the 3G TL 6MT still getting, especially the Type-S 6MT models?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:14 PM
I love spreadsheets.

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
As for the transmission, does anyone have an idea of what Acura will be using? The in-house 10AT supposedly has an a limit around the 275 hp/torque range, the 8DCT can't handle the power either and I doubt they'll be using the ZF9 again. Maybe an upgraded in-house 10AT to handle the power?
I imagine they'd use a modified 10AT if they decide to go with a transverse mounted engine again. The new PAWS version RLX already uses a version of the 10AT that is equipped to handle at least 310HP/272 lb-ft. If not, Acura has an internally developed 9 speed DCT used on the new NSX that is equipped to handle higher power and torque, but also designed around longitudinal mounted engines. Who knows, they may go with the latter option and surprise us with a proper RWD car.

Acura does not seem to be shy about developing one off transmissions like the 7 speed DCT on the sport hydrid versions of the RLX and MDX...seems they've definitely put eggs in different baskets for transmissions...
Old 03-28-2018, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Denali05
I imagine they'd use a modified 10AT if they decide to go with a transverse mounted engine again. The new PAWS version RLX already uses a version of the 10AT that is equipped to handle at least 310HP/272 lb-ft. If not, Acura has an internally developed 9 speed DCT used on the new NSX that is equipped to handle higher power and torque, but also designed around longitudinal mounted engines. Who knows, they may go with the latter option and surprise us with a proper RWD car.

Acura does not seem to be shy about developing one off transmissions like the 7 speed DCT on the sport hydrid versions of the RLX and MDX...seems they've definitely put eggs in different baskets for transmissions...
Engine layout will be interesting. There will be a clear compromise if such a powerful engine and decent tranny (?) are used in nose heavy front wheel biased vehicle. They should look at reviews of Audi, every reviewer mentions nose heaviness and that it is not as fun to drive as its rear wheel drive competition (despite the fact that sport variants have 60% power going to rear wheels and weight balance is about 55:45).
Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

You're killing my dream Bear!!
Yeah reality sucks. BMW was the last MT in everything, now they are drying up in a lot of models. The new killer everything M5 is only available in 8ZF/AWD.

Also the thing to remember is the take rate for MT's is still high in Europe due to cost/price. That means those selling cars there can layoff a lot of development expense against that market.

I am down to 3 active MT's Ranger, 135is & COBRA. When the 135is goes, next generation 4 or 2 series, it will be just two.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-28-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:24 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Yeah, I saw the beginning of the end at BMW when the 435i Grand Coupe didn't come with a manual. And go figure that was the model that most interested me at the time.

Back to Type S features, I'm still wondering if they will have a Sport Hybrid SH-AWD version of the TLX and would they consider that a Type S. Doesn't make sense to me that they'd keep that only available on the MDX and RLX, but as discussed it begins to creep up the price even further. Imagine the entire line with SH-AWD and Sport Hybrid models in each. It would really distinguish itself from Honda which needs to happen sooner than later. They have a chance to really step up now. . .
Old 03-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

I think not having cars in the upper $50/100K range really hurts the TLX. Makes it very price sensitive as the brand itself does not come off as a luxury brand. You get into the $50's the other brands have low end versions of there upper ranges & cars like 3/4 can get away with some overlap in pricing above base 5's.

It was the GM vertical product model going back to the 1930's where every nameplate overlapped price/features with the one above it.

Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus & MB all use that model.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-28-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Latent car nut

Okay, so apparently Hyundai-USA has requested next year's release of the G70 be sent to the U.S. with the 252 HP/260 Torque 2.0T and a 6-Speed Manual!
Old 03-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

350 hp
Virtual Cockpit
LED Tail lights
Adjustable dampers
Bigger brakes
Stickier tire options
Virtual cockpit would be nice, I think this will be fairly common in the not too distant future.

Originally Posted by mondster
600hp with sh-sh-sh-sh-awd
lol, if they get up over 350 that will be something.

Man trans is a big want for many on here. I hope they do it.

Originally Posted by alpha0
I wish Acura improves FR weight balance from 60:40 (not sure what all they can do without longitudinal engine). And i wish they improve hardware/software of SHAWD so that you dont need POWER ON all the time to feel it..Handling should be as neutral as possible in normal driving situations..
They may be able to do this but I think it would most likely have to be a RWD variant which would be a huge departure for Acura.

I think not having cars in the upper $50/100K range really hurts the TLX. Makes it very price sensitive as the brand itself does not come off as a luxury brand. You get into the $50's the other brands have low end versions of there upper ranges & cars like 3/4 can get away with some overlap in pricing above base 5's.

It was the GM vertical product model going back to the 1930's where every nameplate overlapped price/features with the one above it.

Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus & MB all use that model.
Anything pushing 50K plus should be a new model replacing the non-selling RLX. I stated earlier I don't think there will be much demand for a 50K plus TLX model, it would have to be so much different that it would have to get its own name.

Would love to see them bring back a coupe. Now that the accord abandoned the coupe (which my wife had one of the last ones made) there should be some market there. Just a great looking car. I think the civic is the only coupe left in the Honda line. My daughter has a 2016 says all her friends with the sedan say its so much nicer. I also agree about a little better suspension but the A-Spec AWD compared to my 07 Type S is a much nicer ride in general, it could be firmed up some but not too much more. Feeling every bump in the road was not the greatest. Seems most agree in general on what would make the next type S desirable. Hopefully the body makeover will go in the right direction. The A-spec was a good start at least.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

One item, which is high on my list is to dump the button shifter. Bring back the lever with the slapshift manual mode. Anyone who had a prior type-S knows how well this worked and probably never used the paddle shifters on the wheel. When slapped into manual mode a downshift was a downshift with no surge and an up shift was an upshift and held there till the rev limiter shut off the motor. One of the best features on the car. It was absolutely perfection.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

How To Start to Build a Full Luxury Image

Five Things You Need to Know About the Genesis Essentia Concept | Automobile Magazine

The entire Front panel door to door is a screen

Pictures

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/ge...A5C3C0BDB11719

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-29-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:08 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
One item, which is high on my list is to dump the button shifter. Bring back the lever with the slapshift manual mode. Anyone who had a prior type-S knows how well this worked and probably never used the paddle shifters on the wheel. When slapped into manual mode a downshift was a downshift with no surge and an up shift was an upshift and held there till the rev limiter shut off the motor. One of the best features on the car. It was absolutely perfection.
Agree with dumping the button shifter. The ZF9 transmission, button shifter and stop/start is a deal killer for me.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Tightened up chassis, 350hp/300lb-ft+, dual clutch tranny, and a far more usable infotainment system.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
That might be the single ugliest interior I have ever seen....sorta 1950s meet 2050s. Each to his own I guess.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
That might be the single ugliest interior I have ever seen....sorta 1950s meet 2050s. Each to his own I guess.
the Jetsons have landed...