AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Transmission fluid change (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/transmission-fluid-change-976785/)

dezymond 01-29-2019 12:37 AM

Transmission fluid change

The "3" on the maintenance minder came on yesterday for me. I looked everywhere to find a DIY for the TLX, but nothing. I called up my two local dealerships and one of them is telling me it will be $339.99 for a drain and fill, where they drain and fill twice. Another dealership says they'd do the job for $199.95, but provided me with little details. Fremont Acura immediately tried the salespitch route I think, saying that the fluid is expensive (9spd ZF) and the guy was right, normally $399, but he said that there's a "special" going on right now. So then I called up Stevens Creek Acura and they quoted me $199.95, and the service advisor who answered my questions there just seemed to agree with everything I said and said "we drain it all", doesn't leave me with much confidence.

What have the rest of you found the price to be for transmission fluid service on your 9spd ZF units? I'll be calling my independent mechanic tomorrow (As he is closed on Mondays) to see what he'd quote me, but damn this fluid is expensive, $35-$45 a quart!

I guess my question is, for those who got it done did they try to do a "3x3", drain and fill 3 times? I did this with my old TL and that was a long process, but I ensured I got new fluid in there. Did your mechanic or dealership just drain it once and call it a day? Or did they try to replace up to 12qts of fluid, as you can only drain up to 4qts at a time.

TSXV6Guy 01-29-2019 05:13 AM

See here for the ZF9 ATF fluid replacement procedure. It's more complicated than the old honda ATFs, and requires ATF type 3 oil, which is expensive. The factory only recommends replacing the oil "once", i.e., no "3x3".

dezymond 01-29-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy (Post 16373213)
See here for the ZF9 ATF fluid replacement procedure. It's more complicated than the old honda ATFs, and requires ATF type 3 oil, which is expensive. The factory only recommends replacing the oil "once", i.e., no "3x3".

Wow thanks!

Yeah that ATF fluid is insanely expensive. I actually reached out to my local mechanic I've used for a long time and he quoted me $100 to do it. So I'll just get it done through him. The cost of the fluid itself at a retail level is more than that so I'm happy about that.

losiglow 01-29-2019 03:14 PM

Geez. That ATF is pricey. :what:

I change my 4G using DW-1 or Maxlife pretty frequently but I don't think I would with this transmission. It would cost a fortune.

dezymond 01-29-2019 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16373611)
Geez. That ATF is pricey. :what:

I change my 4G using DW-1 or Maxlife pretty frequently but I don't think I would with this transmission. It would cost a fortune.

I know is so damn expensive. But any car is a money pit after all....oh well, needs to be done. I'm over the initial shock lol

JustinZ 02-07-2019 02:01 PM

So how do you measure the temp for the transmission?

Theres an 8 degree varience
Sounds like you need a HDS device...

ConradValmont 02-07-2019 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dezymond (Post 16373455)
Wow thanks!

Yeah that ATF fluid is insanely expensive. I actually reached out to my local mechanic I've used for a long time and he quoted me $100 to do it. So I'll just get it done through him. The cost of the fluid itself at a retail level is more than that so I'm happy about that.

I'm also in the bay and bought the fluid for $25 each. Anticipating some outrageous BS labor only price from the local dealerships. Which local mechanic are you using? Maybe I'll take mine there too.

jhb31 02-07-2019 05:46 PM

I had this done on my 3rd gen and it was sub 200 maybe closer to $100 but not yet on the TLX. I know on the 3rd gen it was basicly a 3 quart drain and refill. Was not aware the TLX was a double drain and refill. Seems odd and not right. Can't see why you would drain, fill and drain it again. If that's what they do then $400 is probably typical. Again sounds odd.

dezymond 02-08-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ConradValmont (Post 16379292)
I'm also in the bay and bought the fluid for $25 each. Anticipating some outrageous BS labor only price from the local dealerships. Which local mechanic are you using? Maybe I'll take mine there too.

Bay City Automotive in Milpitas. I've been taking my car to them since my first Civic and their prices are extremely cheap and Jim (one of the owners and mechanics) is as honest as they come. Old school feel shop down to the brown carpet. Real honest guy and I always recommend him, specializes in japanese cars.

Make sure to call and get an appointment, they get busy really fast. I had him change my oil and ATF, got there at 8 and was out of there a little after 9 since there were two people ahead of me.

Where did you find the atf fluid for so cheap?

ConradValmont 02-08-2019 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by dezymond (Post 16379733)
Bay City Automotive in Milpitas. I've been taking my car to them since my first Civic and their prices are extremely cheap and Jim (one of the owners and mechanics) is as honest as they come. Old school feel shop down to the brown carpet. Real honest guy and I always recommend him, specializes in japanese cars.

Make sure to call and get an appointment, they get busy really fast. I had him change my oil and ATF, got there at 8 and was out of there a little after 9 since there were two people ahead of me.

Where did you find the atf fluid for so cheap?

Thank you for the info on Bay City Automotive. I'll check them out.

Ebay usually has some good deals for this particular ATF.

dezymond 02-09-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ConradValmont (Post 16379912)
Thank you for the info on Bay City Automotive. I'll check them out.

Ebay usually has some good deals for this particular ATF.

Honestly the service he provided was cheaper than me buying 3 quarts of my own fluid.