Transmission on 4cyl Engine during ‘Normal Mode’

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:04 PM
2018 TLX Aspec

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Transmission on 4cyl Engine during ‘Normal Mode’

We’ve noticed while accelerating, during shifting from I think gear 1 to 2, it feels like the car shifts too early so it makes the car feel like it loses the acceleration momentum for a bit and have to push harder on the pedal to get the momentum back. Not sure if I’m making sense explaining this.

it’s not like this when driving in Sport mode though. Shifting in 'Sport' is smooth and acceleration does not lose momentum during the automatic gear changes.

Is this common on the Acura 4cyl 2.4’s transmission?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I can't say for sure since I drive in Sport mode 100% of the time, but it's probably for fuel economy reasons. If you think your experience in Normal is bad, try Economy

Recommend just using Sport - I doubt if the gas mileage is enough different to notice.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by MattViperTLX
We’ve noticed while accelerating, during shifting from I think gear 1 to 2, it feels like the car shifts too early so it makes the car feel like it loses the acceleration momentum for a bit and have to push harder on the pedal to get the momentum back. Not sure if I’m making sense explaining this.

it’s not like this when driving in Sport mode though. Shifting in 'Sport' is smooth and acceleration does not lose momentum during the automatic gear changes.

Is this common on the Acura 4cyl 2.4’s transmission?

I find the my 2016 transmission shifts wonderfully well in all modes. I start in Eco, car shifts faster and engine gets warmed up while I am in residential streets. The normal modes, and then, I might use Sport mode depending upon traffic and conditions. Clearly, acceleration is a little quicker as you move to Regular or Sport from Eco, but that's to be expected. If I need to get off the line a little quicker, say to change lanes right away, I use Sport.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Drive in which ever mode feels right to you. Remember that you can set Econ, Normal, or Sport as a preferred driving mode so every time you start the car, it will be in that mode. I drove my 2.4 TLX in Sport mode for the first year I owned it because it was the mode that felt closest to the TSX I had before it. Today I drive in Normal 100 percent of the time. Have not touched the IDS button in months. Sport does feel really good on large open roads, but feels too "jumpy" during stop and go situations. Normal is that "just right" blend for me in everyday driving. Econ alters A/C performance which is unacceptable for me in the South Carolina heat.