Trailer hitch on TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Trailer hitch on TLX?

I got my TLX 3 months ago and I am thinking of installing a trailer hitch for a bike rack. Taking the wheel out of my mountain bike and lowering the passenger seats gets tidious quickly. I am thinking of getting This one in particular , but I am worried about any warranty issues Acura may give me if I ever have a problem and they see the hitch. Does anyone have a hitch installed? Has anyone commented when you brought it in to have maintenance done at dealer?

Thank you
Old 04-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I think the lack of responses here indicates how sticky this situation is. No one should be telling you yay or nay. I think you have to ask your nearest dealer - presumably from whom you just bought it and where you will have it serviced - what Acura thinks of hitches exclusively used for bike transport. They ought to be able to provide some guidance. They will be the ones backing you up or questioning your hitch if you need a powertrain repair under warranty. A hitch mounted bike carrier realistically adds less load than a trunk full of luggage, but if a warranty claim came down to litigation, a hitch is ultimately an aftermarket accessory that Acura could easily use to sway the court against you. Oh and get whatever they say in writing, which I'm guessing they won't do if they say it's okay.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I think the lack of responses here indicates how sticky this situation is. No one should be telling you yay or nay. I think you have to ask your nearest dealer - presumably from whom you just bought it and where you will have it serviced - what Acura thinks of hitches exclusively used for bike transport. They ought to be able to provide some guidance. They will be the ones backing you up or questioning your hitch if you need a powertrain repair under warranty. A hitch mounted bike carrier realistically adds less load than a trunk full of luggage, but if a warranty claim came down to litigation, a hitch is ultimately an aftermarket accessory that Acura could easily use to sway the court against you. Oh and get whatever they say in writing, which I'm guessing they won't do if they say it's okay.
Thanks I appreciate the reply
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merejo
Thanks I appreciate the reply
I say do it. I had a hitch on my tl sh awd to put on a bike rack. People said it was stupid to do because it would ruin a perfectly good sport sedan. Rubbish, i barely even noticed it to look at it, and got to use my car to go mountain biking.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go ahead and install a hitch. You didn't mention what year TLX, but no matter. Etrailer.com will set you up. I installed a Curt and I'm glad I did it. Got to have my bikes.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
If it's for bikes it shouldn't be an issue! You are literally just using it like a trunk rather than towing. Just be sure not to overload the car (5 passengers, luggage and then the bikes too) otherwise it could damage your suspension components. If you were towing a heavy trailer then I could foresee acura having an issue. Lastly, for acura to deny warranty coverage they have to show the hitch caused the failure.