Tow SH-AWD without flatbed tow

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Tow SH-AWD without flatbed tow

The owners manual says to use a flatbed to tow an AWD TLX. That's fine when you have a choice, but given no spare tire, any recommendation for towing the vehicle?

I looked and didn't see how to set the transmission to neutral when there's no power available. My previous car was a Lexus and it had a release. Is there a similar release for a SH-AWD and is it safe to tow on 2 wheels in neutral?
Old 12-30-2015, 12:24 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Your safest bet under that circumstance would be to disconnect the driveshaft.

If you want to set the transmission to neutral when there's no power, I believe there's a bolt on the side of the transmission that you can use a wrench to click it into neutral. However, even with the transmission in neutral, you don't want to tow the vehicle with only 2 wheels on the ground and the driveshaft connected because there is always going to be some rotation through the SH-AWD differential. Unlike some traditional AWD systems, this one doesn't have a center diff (at least not one in the usual way).
Old 12-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I would not tow the AWD version car with 2 wheels on the ground.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
My 4G SH-AWD had to be put on 4 dollies and then pulled up onto a flatbed when it was broken into and disabled.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yessir. That would be the correct way of towing an AWD vehicle. As someone else mentioned, I guess you could disconnect the driveshaft, but that seems like a whole hell of a lot of work for nothing.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Racer

Thanks. What I assumed.

I ran into this issue with my Lexus IS with AWD after an accident. Cops called the tow and it wasn't a flatbed. I told them it needed to be put on a flatbed due to AWD and they told me they had to get it out of the street (was a major artery and couldn't be moved off the road) so they couldn't call another truck and the tow driver had put it in neutral.

The car was totaled, so I never knew if any damage happened to the drivetrain, but it's a concern.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
It is possible for a "normal" tow truck to tow SH-AWD using rollers like so:

http://www.towingservice-reseda.info...towdollies.jpg

However, it is not optimal and tow truck drivers in my area have said they avoid going on the freeway when using these due to stability issues. It's good enough to get the car to a safe area in order to wait for a flatbed, or to get a few miles down the road to get the tire repaired or replaced. That being said, a flatbed is always preferable.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Perhaps a call to Acuralink Roadside Assistance would work. I would imagine that they would know the proper way to tow the vehicle. Never used them so this is just a thought.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
The owners manual says to use a flatbed to tow an AWD TLX. That's fine when you have a choice, but given no spare tire, any recommendation for towing the vehicle?

I looked and didn't see how to set the transmission to neutral when there's no power available. My previous car was a Lexus and it had a release. Is there a similar release for a SH-AWD and is it safe to tow on 2 wheels in neutral?

I ordered spare tire with my AWD TLX.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
I ordered spare tire with my AWD TLX.
Apparently the spare tire isn't available in Canada, WTF?!

Does anyone know if a 3rd gen TL spare would fit over the calipers and would be the correct bolt pattern? I really want a spare as towns and cities are far apart in this damn country.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
Apparently the spare tire isn't available in Canada, WTF?!

Does anyone know if a 3rd gen TL spare would fit over the calipers and would be the correct bolt pattern? I really want a spare as towns and cities are far apart in this damn country.
In US it does NOT come standard on any trim. It is a dealer accessory that is roughly $450. You sure Canada doesnt offer that? If thats the case you can always buy the US spare tire if you dont mind spending the $$$. It comes with a new foam insert under the trunk floor so it sits under there as if it came stock like that. I bought one when I purchased my car, I cant believe some people dont have a spare tire.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spoiler900
In US it does NOT come standard on any trim. It is a dealer accessory that is roughly $450. You sure Canada doesnt offer that? If thats the case you can always buy the US spare tire if you dont mind spending the $$$. It comes with a new foam insert under the trunk floor so it sits under there as if it came stock like that. I bought one when I purchased my car, I cant believe some people dont have a spare tire.
Had my Lexus IS and the spare never came out of the car in 9 years. Had two instances of debris that caused a leak, but nothing requiring changing the tire. Both situations could have been handled with the inflation kit or calling AAA for a tow.

Yes, a spare would be nice, but not sure I want to pay $450 for a donut spare that chances are won't ever be used. I live in an urban area and if I travel, it's on the interstate to another urban area. I'm not driving around the woods.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Well, not that I want to counter what you said, but I had my IS350 for 1.5 months and I had a critical tire failure and without the spare, I would have been tits up! I have been driving since 1985 and NEVER did I have to rely on a spare/donut, but you only need one critical failure to say....From now on, I will never go without!

I do know what you mean though, if you live in a highly populated area, then maybe it is not required but you know Murphy's law...the one time you will go out of town, that it is when it will happen
Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by spoiler900
I'm certain of it. Both Acura dealerships told me that it wasn't offered. It's not on the Acura Canada website under accessories either.

And neil0311, up here in Alberta, cities that have tire shops are generally 150km or more away from each other. I like the reassurance that a spare provides so that at least should I get a flat on our pothole-ridden roads between Calgary and Edmonton, I could limp back to at least Red Deer for a tire change.

I've used my TL-S spare twice in the 4 years I had the car. The first time was a small puncture which the inflator kit would have worked on. The second time was a total flat from hitting an unavoidable pothole at slow speed. The tire exploded and came off the rim. Ain't no tire goop fixing that!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Ah good ole Red Deer, used to live in Calgary and would have to go up there every now and then for work. What's that sushi place on the main road leading into town? Would always stop by there for lunch before heading home.