TLX vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
TLX vs TSX

I have a 2014 TSX. I like it a lot. It has a very light weight feel to it and seems to glide around gracefully. The handling is what sold me, I fell in love with it right away.

It just is not fast enough. I test drove a 2018 TLX and I qualify for it. The speed was around more what I want. It has a better punch but isn't too much. It is just enough. And I like that the gas mileage isn't but 3 mpg less than my I4.

When I test drove it, it felt like more of a boat. It felt bigger, heavier, and less responsive to handling. That being said, I did not get to drive it much because of time constraints and traffic. I really want to get you guys opinion to see if it really has better handling than the TSX. It is all wheel drive so I would think that it would be more light weight but after the test drive I am not so sure.

How does it compare? Is there anyone in here that has driven both and has some opinions? Thank you.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Well it seems you're comparing the I4 TSX to the v6 TLX? If so, yes it's going to feel heavier because overall I think it's got about 110 - 120lbs on the 4cyl depending on trim.

Alot of people say the 4cyl feels more nimble than the v6 variant. I originally test drove the 4cyl and opted for the v6 because I wanted a smoother engine and more power. The biggest downside to the TLX, save for the A-spec trim, are the tires. Every trim are fit with eco-friendly tires. Once you get a good set of higher performing tires (I opted for the Michelin A/S 3) the handling of the car changes so much.
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
Curious3GTL (11-09-2018), justnspace (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Coming from the TSX V6 to the TLX V6 AWD: The TLX is much slower... not only because it's heavier, but the ZF9 transmission is really not well matched to the car and very slow to downshift when needed. Test drive it again to make sure you can live with it...
Old 11-09-2018, 07:21 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I wouldn't go from a TSX to a I4 TLX for sure. The transmission is obviously a lot better in the TLX but the feel is almost completely the same. If you can, wait until the FMC of the TLX in a year or two.
The following users liked this post:
silverTL6 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm a previous 14' TSX owner. I have owned a 2.4 TLX for the past 3 years and 25,000 miles. If you're comparing 2.4 to a 2.4, the TLX is without a doubt a better car. If you're comparing to a V6 TLX, those models are much heavier and in my opinion do not handle as well. They are more of highway cruisers, than handlers. SHAWD models handle the best in power on situations but under steer like the front drive V6s in power off situations. The TLX as a whole is much softer and quieter then TSX was, no matter what configuration you pick. When I first got my TLX, I found that Sport mode gave me the throttle response and steering feel closest to what the TSX had. Normal mode is TLX is alot more laid back and comfortable.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I have a 2010 TSX base with a manual. I love this car. Its super dependable, rattle free, and I am quite happy with the performance. Sure I want more power but that goes for every vehicle ever. Also have to note that this has been lowered on Tien springs and upgraded tires since 2011 so adds to the already great handling.
I also have a 2018 TLX A-SPEC. Its definitely faster in a straight line from a stoplight but I'm not so sure it would beat my TSX on a track with its extra weight. Its a lot quieter than the TSX, has more features, and its more luxurious. Being AWD the TLX is the better car for winter or even rainy weather. The only thing I don't like about the TLX is the nasty vibration many of us have at around 70-80 MPH. Some have it worse than others. Mine doesn't appear to be as bad but its still there and Acura doesn't have a fix for it. If that wasn't present on this car I would definitely buy it at lease end.

What I would really like is a TSX size car with the engine and SHAWD from the A-SPEC with a 6 speed manual. That would be the perfect car for me.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins
I have a 2014 TSX. I like it a lot. It has a very light weight feel to it and seems to glide around gracefully. The handling is what sold me, I fell in love with it right away.

It just is not fast enough. I test drove a 2018 TLX and I qualify for it. The speed was around more what I want. It has a better punch but isn't too much. It is just enough. And I like that the gas mileage isn't but 3 mpg less than my I4.

When I test drove it, it felt like more of a boat. It felt bigger, heavier, and less responsive to handling. That being said, I did not get to drive it much because of time constraints and traffic. I really want to get you guys opinion to see if it really has better handling than the TSX. It is all wheel drive so I would think that it would be more light weight but after the test drive I am not so sure.

How does it compare? Is there anyone in here that has driven both and has some opinions? Thank you.
It is all about perspective. I was interested in a RLX but it was floaty and boaty and I love how nimble my V6 TLX is. You will get used to it. It will never feel as nimble as the TSX.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Coming from the TSX V6 to the TLX V6 AWD: The TLX is much slower... not only because it's heavier, but the ZF9 transmission is really not well matched to the car and very slow to downshift when needed. Test drive it again to make sure you can live with it...
There’s a definite weight penalty with the SH-AWD TLX, but TSX V6 vs TLX V6 PAWS the latter should pull fairly easily on the former.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Not sure why some are comparing the TLX to a 6 cylinder TSX. The poster refers to his I4, so comments about the TSX being faster than the TLX 3.5 are kinda silly. I leased three of the 2 gen TSXs, all 2.4 5 speeds, and without checking track times, i know my 8 speed TLX feels somewhat quicker. Clearly, the 3.5 would be considerably quicker than the 4 cylinder TSX.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Yeah, when I test drove the tlx V6 version, I noticed a huge difference in power. I put it in Sport+ mode and it literally shot forward. But, it was so boaty and huge feeling. Maybe I just hadn't got use to it, but it did not feel nearly as agile and compact as the TSX. Maybe you are right, maybe after you factor in the weight and dynamics, it is barley much faster. That kind of makes sense. I still think I should just mod my TSX but I get mixed messages on that subject.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Yeah, when I test drove the tlx V6 version, I noticed a huge difference in power. I put it in Sport+ mode and it literally shot forward. But, it was so boaty and huge feeling. Maybe I just hadn't got use to it, but it did not feel nearly as agile and compact as the TSX. Maybe you are right, maybe after you factor in the weight and dynamics, it is barley much faster. That kind of makes sense. I still think I should just mod my TSX but I get mixed messages on that subject.
It's your car and your choice. Who cares what other people think. Mod to your heart's and wallet's content.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
It's your car and your choice. Who cares what other people think. Mod to your heart's and wallet's content.
its cool, I really like seeing what people have to say and I really like this board.

Im so happy with my TSX. I sometimes wish that it had More power but the more I read, the more I realize that the lack of power is kind of a strong point in terms of this car being light and agile. The TLX didn’t have that same feather feel like I love about this car. That’s being said, I think I will eventually end up modding this car. It looks so dope with rims and ground effects. And I think with a couple grand I could get a little boost at least.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
The TSX is a good little car. The 4 is not quick, but it’s agile and light. It’s been the most reliable car Ive owned. 155k and still going strong.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
The TSX is a good little car. The 4 is not quick, but it’s agile and light. It’s been the most reliable car Ive owned. 155k and still going strong.
Ah, thank you for the post. I really love to hear that. I have had some buyer's remorse for not getting a 370z. But I wanted to be realistic. I wanted good gas mileage and reliability. I am a college student and I do not make very much money right now. I am comfortable, but don't really feel like driving a gas guzzler. I also wanted a better speaker system and the TSX delivers that.

Here is a picture of it.

I think I just want to do some basic stuff, like exhaust and intake. Mostly I want rims and a body kit, I think.
F23A4 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Even though many prefer the 1G TSX, I still prefer the 2G. Car looks good Matt. Continue to enjoy.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Racer

Ah, thank you for the post. I really love to hear that. I have had some buyer's remorse for not getting a 370z. But I wanted to be realistic. I wanted good gas mileage and reliability. I am a college student and I do not make very much money right now. I am comfortable, but don't really feel like driving a gas guzzler. I also wanted a better speaker system and the TSX delivers that.

Here is a picture of it.

I think I just want to do some basic stuff, like exhaust and intake. Mostly I want rims and a body kit, I think.

I love the white. Looks really good. I consistantly get 26.5-28 mph easily on mid grade. It’s one for the reason I’m hesitating getting a new car. The mileage is really good. Cars I’m interested in now, like the new RDX, are no where close to this type of mileage. But I understand it’s a totally different type of vehicle.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Looks to be in mint condition! Sometimes it's just good to be happy with what you have. Enjoy! The colour is great, My first TSX was an 09 that had the creamier white with a slight touch of yellow. I really did like that colour, but they did away with it within a couple of years. It had a brownish charcoal cloth interior that looked pretty darn good as well.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Looks to be in mint condition! Sometimes it's just good to be happy with what you have. Enjoy! The colour is great, My first TSX was an 09 that had the creamier white with a slight touch of yellow. I really did like that colour, but they did away with it within a couple of years. It had a brownish charcoal cloth interior that looked pretty darn good as well.
Thanks. Your TLX in your aviator looks sick. It literally looks exactly like the one I test drove. I like how it had black interior. I am not really crazy about the cream color. I originally test drove a 2012 acura TSX silver with 88k miles for 10k plus tax and title. It had a clean carfax, but the headlights were all fogged up and there were a lot of scratches on the exterior and the interior was not very well taken care of. I was totally going to get it, but I found this white one and thought I would check it out first.

It has been in one wreck, but only on the door. It is still a clean title and I looked at a history report on the car and it checked out. I am really glad that I chose this one, because it has been a wonderful car this far and the exterior looks 1000 times better. Yeah I am definitely happy with it! I am just feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse for not getting the 350z. Good thing I did not get that, because I was not prepared to spend all of that money on insurance and gas. Not to mention that a Z would have a higher chance of abuse from previous owner, cuz why not?

I drive my car hard most of the time. I can't help it. It is like this car begs me to. It is punchy when I try to go slow. Even if I just 1/4 mash the pedal, it rockets.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I used to have a 2010 TSX V6 Tech. Loved that car. Was one of the few who actually owned a 2G TSX with the V6. That car was a blast to drive. I sold it and bought a '12 TL Advance. I now have a '16 TLX Advance. Each had their strengths and weaknesses but I have enjoyed owning all 3 models. If your TSX is serving you well, keep enjoying it.

This was the TSX I sold a few years back.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by a35tl
I used to have a 2010 TSX V6 Tech. Loved that car. Was one of the few who actually owned a 2G TSX with the V6. That car was a blast to drive. I sold it and bought a '12 TL Advance. I now have a '16 TLX Advance. Each had their strengths and weaknesses but I have enjoyed owning all 3 models. If your TSX is serving you well, keep enjoying it.

that is so dope!!! I wish I had the V6 version but I read that the handling isn’t quite as good. I’m sure they’re all badass in their own ways. You’re right, aucra is just a great vehicle regardless. Not sure why I saw low ratings in the TSX in some places. I had a 2000 Avalon XLS and this car blows it away and it’s a fraction of the price. The Avalon was 35k new and this one was 14k with only 44k miles. Some parts seam cheaply made but it feels a lot more solid.

So you like your TLX yeah?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Racer

I loved the rims on the V6. That’s a great looking car.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I loved the rims on the V6. That’s a great looking car.
yeah, the V6 rims look dope. I’m not really crazy about my rims. Getting some 18s ASAP. That is going to be the first thing I buy for it.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. Your TLX in your aviator looks sick. It literally looks exactly like the one I test drove. I like how it had black interior. I am not really crazy about the cream color. I originally test drove a 2012 acura TSX silver with 88k miles for 10k plus tax and title. It had a clean carfax, but the headlights were all fogged up and there were a lot of scratches on the exterior and the interior was not very well taken care of. I was totally going to get it, but I found this white one and thought I would check it out first.

It has been in one wreck, but only on the door. It is still a clean title and I looked at a history report on the car and it checked out. I am really glad that I chose this one, because it has been a wonderful car this far and the exterior looks 1000 times better. Yeah I am definitely happy with it! I am just feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse for not getting the 350z. Good thing I did not get that, because I was not prepared to spend all of that money on insurance and gas. Not to mention that a Z would have a higher chance of abuse from previous owner, cuz why not?

I drive my car hard most of the time. I can't help it. It is like this car begs me to. It is punchy when I try to go slow. Even if I just 1/4 mash the pedal, it rockets.
Thanks. I do love it! I also had the silver colour (2011) and the Graphite (2012) TSXs. I love my Acuras, but 3 TSXs and 3 TLXs in 10 years is a bit much I need your discipline when it comes to cars. Although I lease, I would definitely have a few more bucks in the bank! I do love to hear from other happy 4 cylinder owners! as we are somewhat of a minority group on the forum
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

I always thought the TSX is a classy looking vehicle. That looks like the same off white colour as my 2009 TSX, which I really liked.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Before I bought the TSX V6, I had an '07 TL Navi which I adored. It was probably one of my favorite cars ever. When I decided to replace it, I wasn't too fond of the '09-'11 TL styling so I considered the TSX V6. Found this white one for an absolute steal and bought it. I had no regrets. Thoroughly enjoyed the TSX. I eventually went back to the TL after the midcycle refresh and in my opinion, the '12 -'14 TLs were very underrated. They were great cars.

Just got my '16 TLX Advance this past June. It's nice and I enjoy it but I will concede that the driving dynamics in the TSX and in my TLs were better. The TLX shines in other areas though. The fuel economy is fantastic. I recently took a 3 hour trip and averaged 39 mpg!! The TLX is comfortable and has lots of features. I like it and find it quite attractive but the 9 speed automatic is its biggest weakness. 80% of the time it's a non issue but if I want to enjoy any kind of spirited driving, it's a drawback. I have no harsh shifting in my '16 which plagued many '15 models but the tranny is just a bit lazy. The TLX simply has a completely different personality than my previous Acuras. My TL was like a young energetic dog that couldn't wait to be unleashed and run and play all day. The TLX will play but it has to be prodded, kind of like telling your teens to put down their devices and go outside and have some fun.

However, I still like it under most driving conditions and I find its styling handsome. It just feels more grown up at the expensive of losing some of its playfulness. I like the A-Spec versions of the '18 and '19 TLX models. If the next generation TLX is anything like the recently redesigned '19 RDX, I will be very pleased. Seems as though Acura is planning to revive some of its former spirit in its newer models. I think they're on the right track.
The following 3 users liked this post by a35tl:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-14-2018), F23A4 (11-14-2018), mapleloaf (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts

Just got my '16 TLX Advance this past June. It's nice and I enjoy it but I will concede that the driving dynamics in the TSX and in my TLs were better. The TLX shines in other areas though. The fuel economy is fantastic. I recently took a 3 hour trip and averaged 39 mpg!! The TLX is comfortable and has lots of features. I like it and find it quite attractive but the 9 speed automatic is its biggest weakness. 80% of the time it's a non issue but if I want to enjoy any kind of spirited driving, it's a drawback.
Despite Acura's best marketing efforts - the TLX is much more of a highway cruiser than a true sport sedan. I don't mean that in a negative way - I think it's a great car for what it is. People get in trouble when they purchase one hoping for something it isn't.
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (11-14-2018), BEAR-AvHistory (11-16-2018), F23A4 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Despite Acura's best marketing efforts - the TLX is much more of a highway cruiser than a true sport sedan. I don't mean that in a negative way - I think it's a great car for what it is. People get in trouble when they purchase one hoping for something it isn't.
This totally makes sense, too. I personally believe more people, when actually pressed, want a touring sedan instead of a sports sedan. Big engine, powerful zero to sixty, and enough handling to feel good about yourself in the twisties.
a35tl (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Terdbath
I have a 2010 TSX base with a manual. I love this car. Its super dependable, rattle free, and I am quite happy with the performance. ...

What I would really like is a TSX size car with the engine and SHAWD from the A-SPEC with a 6 speed manual. That would be the perfect car for me.
I also have a 2010 base TSX with 6MT, and it's been fantastic. I want something exactly like you describe, though I'd probably like it slightly smaller than the TSX. I was hoping we'd get a new ILX with the 2.0T and SHAWD, but alas. Maybe the upcoming TLX replacement will be in this vein, but it won't have MT.

I have tested a TLX 2.4, and found it more quiet and stable than the TSX, but not as much fun to drive. The 8DCT was probably the coolest self-shifting transmission I've ever used, but I still prefer MT.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
If you are like how the TSX feels but want much more power and much better handling, look into the Alfa Romeo Giulia, I had a 2009 Acura TSX with a 6 speed manual absolutely loved the car, it handled great. But then I hit a deer and it was totaled, so then I ended up leasing a 2015 Acura TLX 2.4l, the TLX was faster but did not feel anywhere as good as the TSX when it came to driving dynamics. March of this year I ended the lease 7 months early I got a Giulia. The TLX was a good car but it was BORING to drive, the only thing that made the car a little less boring was blipping the engine by downshifting with the paddle, the DCT can be fun in the TLX. The Giulia is one of the best drivers car I have ever driven, It drives a lot like a E46 BMW but way more refined. I would tell you to go drive one and see for yourself. Or wait for the next gen TLX, but I would be willing to bet it still wont drive as nice as the Giulia.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 11-14-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 PM
Instructor

^ that sounds badass!!

check this out.. would this work, or would it mess up the transmission and stuff?

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/0...BoCRgMQAvD_BwE
Old 11-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by alpha2beta
If you are like how the TSX feels but want much more power and much better handling, look into the Alfa Romeo Giulia, I had a 2009 Acura TSX with a 6 speed manual absolutely loved the car, it handled great. But then I hit a deer and it was totaled, so then I ended up leasing a 2015 Acura TLX 2.4l, the TLX was faster but did not feel anywhere as good as the TSX when it came to driving dynamics. March of this year I ended the lease 7 months early I got a Giulia. The TLX was a good car but it was BORING to drive, the only thing that made the car a little less boring was blipping the engine by downshifting with the paddle, the DCT can be fun in the TLX. The Giulia is one of the best drivers car I have ever driven, It drives a lot like a E46 BMW but way more refined. I would tell you to go drive one and see for yourself. Or wait for the next gen TLX, but I would be willing to bet it still wont drive as nice as the Giulia.
Have you seen the thread about the Giulia on the Car Talk forum?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I traded in a 2011 TSX Wagon on my TLX.

Loved the handling of the TSX, but the power just was not enough for me, and in the end that was what pushed me to trade it in after only 3 yrs. I put in downpipes with a resonator for the drone, but in the end it just wasn't enough for me, and the A/T transmission was the weakest link for me honestly. The engine felt like it had more, but that A/T held it back. Really had to hammer the pedal to induce a downshift at highway speeds. The manuals solved that problem with a really nice shifter, but I didn't have that option.

Went to a TLX AWD Advance, so a very different car. The TSX was much lighter, and handled as such, but overall I'm happier with the Torque Vectoring when going around corners, especially around bends, just give it a little gas, and there's less understeer, and the car just tracks. You really need to drive the car outside of traffic, the PAWS in 4 cylinder loaners is also very noticeable in turns, and that car feels lighter than the V6 around bends, but I needed more power, and for my new car, I wanted AWD. if the TSX had AWD, and a V6, it would potentially still be in my driveway, but unfortunately it didn't.

The biggest difference besides power was in the N,V,H. The TSX was just a buzzier, crashier car on NYC roads, and on those roads the suspension was much harsher, and easier to upset whereas the TLX just feels more premium as it should, and was supposed to. The biggest drawback to the TLX AWD models are the god awful GoodYear tires.....Some of the lowest rated on Tire Rack, and they did a real disservice to the car by equipping them with those things.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
For whats its worth or not worth. Found an Easter Egg Today. The 440 has a factory installed lap timer in the software. Ran a quick 0 to speed limit with a stop at the base of the local on ramp the a WOT run on the interstate. Car in Sport+ shift itself mode.

Test run 0-76 in 5.5 seconds one MPH over the limit so I was already off the gas at 75MPH. Will try a 0-60 run when I figure out how to use it. Factory claims low 4's for the MPPSK/THP package.

Very complete with G load circle, RPM, speed, gear selected, braking effort, throttle position, instruments like oil pressure, temperature etc. Looks like it can "see" & display anything the ECU can. Tied into the GPS so It shows a street map of my run with speeds, braking locations & has GoPro Interface along with most major track layouts. You can basically get all the same data that car& driver displays in their detailed Lightning Laps information.

Why this is of interest when the 2019 G20 comes out the M340 version will have about 30/35 more horsepower then my car & be lighter. Going lighter is reversing the trend of the 3/4 betting fatter each year. My car is bigger the the equivalent 5 series two generations back.

The next generation TLX will need to step up with its 3L Turbo as all the makes in the mix will release new cars in the next two (2019/2020) years.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
The biggest drawback to the TLX AWD models are the god awful GoodYear tires.....Some of the lowest rated on Tire Rack, and they did a real disservice to the car by equipping them with those things.
Agreed! I had the Eagles on my Accord Sport, and the experience was terrible. (We has two replaced due to apparent defects.)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
A few years old but here is what they do in Japan with unprepared entry level luxury cars, not exactly Fast & Furious but fun to watch.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I traded in a 2011 TSX Wagon on my TLX.

Loved the handling of the TSX, but the power just was not enough for me, and in the end that was what pushed me to trade it in after only 3 yrs. I put in downpipes with a resonator for the drone, but in the end it just wasn't enough for me, and the A/T transmission was the weakest link for me honestly. The engine felt like it had more, but that A/T held it back. Really had to hammer the pedal to induce a downshift at highway speeds. The manuals solved that problem with a really nice shifter, but I didn't have that option.

Went to a TLX AWD Advance, so a very different car. The TSX was much lighter, and handled as such, but overall I'm happier with the Torque Vectoring when going around corners, especially around bends, just give it a little gas, and there's less understeer, and the car just tracks. You really need to drive the car outside of traffic, the PAWS in 4 cylinder loaners is also very noticeable in turns, and that car feels lighter than the V6 around bends, but I needed more power, and for my new car, I wanted AWD. if the TSX had AWD, and a V6, it would potentially still be in my driveway, but unfortunately it didn't.

The biggest difference besides power was in the N,V,H. The TSX was just a buzzier, crashier car on NYC roads, and on those roads the suspension was much harsher, and easier to upset whereas the TLX just feels more premium as it should, and was supposed to. The biggest drawback to the TLX AWD models are the god awful GoodYear tires.....Some of the lowest rated on Tire Rack, and they did a real disservice to the car by equipping them with those things.
Had a TSX and it definitely has a lighter more nimble feel. same for the 16 civic we have. Also had a TL type S for 10 years and it was more responsive than the TLX as well. That said the A-Spec TLX with larger tires and the modest upgrades on suspension and AWD is far superior ride and handling wise. It's an excellent mix of not a harsh ride but can power through turns at a higher speed with very little effort. If you want the "light" and "nimble" feel then an older TSX or a Civic will deliver that. After having the AWD I couldn't go back to a FWD acura. The traction and handling is light years better pulling into traffic or on wet roads. You do sacrifice some MPG but not much. It's surprising to me the upgrade from FWD to AWD is such a nominal cost wise on the TLX..

Last edited by jhb31; 11-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Lumpy make sure you test drive the Civic Si if you don't care about the badge prestige between Acura and Honda. It is more or less what the ILX refresh should have been in terms of driving dynamics however I do think the ILX is the best looking small sedan Honda/Acura makes. I am surprised you didn't test drive the V6 TSX regardless what the reviewers said about it being front-heavy, there might be some tires you could swap in to reduce some of the understeer.

The TLX is pretty much RIP right now until a proper version that isn't competing with the Accord but rather the G70, Stinger GT, Q50 Red with decent back seat room is released hopefully in the coming months.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MGP99999
Lumpy make sure you test drive the Civic Si if you don't care about the badge prestige between Acura and Honda. It is more or less what the ILX refresh should have been in terms of driving dynamics however I do think the ILX is the best looking small sedan Honda/Acura makes. I am surprised you didn't test drive the V6 TSX regardless what the reviewers said about it being front-heavy, there might be some tires you could swap in to reduce some of the understeer.

The TLX is pretty much RIP right now until a proper version that isn't competing with the Accord but rather the G70, Stinger GT, Q50 Red with decent back seat room is released hopefully in the coming months.
That is cool that people in here are calling me Lumpy. I have been called that for years. I am DJ Lump. I am also an artist here in Dallas and sign all of my work as Lump.

www.instagram.com/lumpselecta

Anyway. I really would love to have a V6 TSX but they just aren't available here. My car only has 44k miles on it. I could maybe get a V6 but it would have 88k miles at least. Think that is a big hit, or not a big deal? I was not crazy about the TLX and I like the design of the TSX better, but that is only personal preference. I think the TSX has sharper edges and a more boxy look, while the TLX has a more curvy design that reminds me a bit of ford. It still does have some reminders of TSX in it, and don't get me wrong, I would get one if I could afford it. It has a more smooth, luxury feel to it than the tsx. The TSX has a cheaper feel to it, but a solid type of cheap, if that makes sense.

Anyway. I am pretty happy with my TSX. It is pretty fast for a I4 I just wish I could turbo charge that shit without risking reliability. If I knew that I could turbo my car without having it break down, or requiring any maintenance from me, I would do it right now.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

The TSX has a cheaper feel to it, but a solid type of cheap, if that makes sense.
LOL - that's a great way to describe many of my possessions!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I went from a 09 TSX I4 Base to a 15 TLX V6 SHAWD Advance. My decision was about improving comfort and technology in my daily driver. Consider the TSX a fully loaded Accord. It looked great, was small, tight, quick and nimble. The four banger gets the job done, but it's hardly fast. You won't win many drag races. It feels like it corners on rails thanks to the stiff suspension, which makes it easy and fun to drive. But that aggressive suspension makes for a rough ride. Half hour or longer trips on some of our local roads got frustratingly bumpy. My lower back got pounded pretty hard. All in all, a capable car that doesn't do anything great, but does everything well. I got compliments on it periodically. In came my TLX and everything improved. AWD was a must for me in the northern climates. The Honda V6 is legendary for reliability and pulls like a freight train (however, the ZF9 is pretty much garbage). The suspension makes for a much smoother, comfortable ride. Comparing the TSX and TLX is like comparing a Chevy Cavalier and a Cadillac XTS. One is designed to get the job done. One is designed to get the job done as well as possible.

Quick Reply: TLX vs TSX