TLX vs IS from club lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
TLX vs IS from club lexus

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-2017-is.html

Interesting thread in the Lexus IS section of the Club Lexus forum. Ive been a lurker member there since 2012. Of course coming from a Lexus forum the general consensus is to choose the IS over the TLX but I thought there was some good discussion in there and a lot less bashing than I expected. Interesting that one poster had already traded in his 2018 A-SPEC for a 250 AWD due to interior.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
for some reason, acurazine grabbed your text and thought it was apart of the link.
here is the correct URL for the Club lexus thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-2017-is.html
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Midnight Mystery (10-07-2019), Terdbath (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Guy who traded his ASPEC because of the interior must have a boatload of cash. Seriously - you trade the car in because of the interior?!
Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I know, that didn't make sense to me either and he traded it in for a IS250? Strange.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Might have took a big enough loss that the 250 was all he could afford. Before deciding on the TLX, I did drive the IS350 and what a sweet handling car it is. What some call cozy, it felt cramped to me. I also have two young kids in convertibles with one rear facing. To rear face the seat we had, I pretty much had to move the passenger seat to the top of the track which left almost no leg room for my wife. Trunk is passable but the stroller pretty much took the entirety of the space (TLX fares a bit better as it's deeper). Did not like that mouse thing thing to navigate. Felt clumsy and was always clicking things I didn't want. And WTF with the F-Sport Series 3 with no memory seats at that price point?

TLX is 7" longer than the IS, and that makes all the difference when you have a family. If my kids were older and out of car seats, then perhaps things may have been different. The price was about $5000 cheaper as well vs. the Lexus with the trims I was looking at.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX_831
Guy who traded his ASPEC because of the interior must have a boatload of cash. Seriously - you trade the car in because of the interior?!
The interior of the IS is the reason I didn't bother driving it after sitting in it. That interior is a jumbled incoherent mess. The TLX, for all its flaws, has a nicer interior.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like quite a few former Honda/Acura owners in there.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX_831
Everybody's rich on the Internet car forums! Or who knows - maybe he's telling the truth. I find it hard to believe simply because you don't even have to test drive a car to know if you like the interior.

The comments were pretty much what I would expect on a Lexus forum. It's interesting as I didn't even consider a Lexus because I can't get over that god awful grill. I've always thought they do a better job than Acura on the exterior design of their cars, but the grill is a showstopper for me. I'm also not a fan of Toyota/Lexus interiors. I'm not talking about quality of materials but rather the design and layout. Has an "old man" look about it to my mind.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (08-26-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
...What some call cozy, it felt cramped to me.....
Agree. I enjoyed my 2010 IS250 for over five years, but the TLX is definitely more roomy and comfortable. They're both good cars, but perhaps in a slightly different class.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, new member and recent lurker. I figured this would be a good time for me to jump in and share a few thoughts:

So I recently totaled my 14 IS 250 (not my fault), which was heart breaking for me. That was my first luxury car. I loved the look of the car including the grill (I want a car that stands out from the rest). I also loved the interior of the car. The fit and finish, the way the cabin wrapped around you and made you feel like you were in a cockpit, the low seating position, the car handling. The only things I didn't like were the small navigation screen and quality of the infotainment system (the screen size was increased significantly in the 17's).

Long story short, I went right to Lexus to find a replacement (IS 200T). I test drove the car and was impressed, although I missed the V6 engine. But I also thought that I should see what else was out there including Acura, Infiniti, and even Volvo (S60 T-6 R-Design). In the end the A-Spec won out of all the cars I looked at. If it were not for the added features on the A-Spec I probably wouldn't have even looked at Acura (I hated the beak).

The A-Spec along with the pricing was the final deciding factor for me. The A-Spec was about $4,000 less than a IS 200T F Sport with Navigation. The IS 350 would have been about another $2,000. Having the larger engine and additional power for less money made the decision easier. For what it's worth, I negotiated a price of about $39,150 (before TTL) for a 2WD A-Spec.

The key things I miss about my Lexus:
  • Stereo had more bass
  • Lexus service (including the first year of service included). The Acura dealership just does not give off that 'high end' feel.
  • Lower ride height and heavily bolstered seats giving it a cockpit feel (yes some people may feel cramped, but I loved it)
  • Interior finishes are nice with soft touch leather
  • Nulux seats are pretty much indestructible (stains, wear, etc.). Concerned how the Alcantara will hold up.
  • F Sport instrument gauge cluster
However I still love my TLX thanks to the larger more powerful engine, ventilated seats, Android Auto, and the additional safety features my IS didn't have.
jwong77 (09-01-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Everybody's rich on the Internet car forums! Or who knows - maybe he's telling the truth. I find it hard to believe simply because you don't even have to test drive a car to know if you like the interior.

The comments were pretty much what I would expect on a Lexus forum. It's interesting as I didn't even consider a Lexus because I can't get over that god awful grill. I've always thought they do a better job than Acura on the exterior design of their cars, but the grill is a showstopper for me. I'm also not a fan of Toyota/Lexus interiors. I'm not talking about quality of materials but rather the design and layout. Has an "old man" look about it to my mind.
Exactly! I feel the same way you do. Lexus gets points for quality service and interior materials. The predator grill looks like crap, otherwise I like everything else about the exterior of the IS.

I still can't believe the person would trade his car in after just TWO MONTHS. And he goes on to state he'll likely get rid of his IS for a Mercedes.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by pvtpyle75
Hi, new member and recent lurker. I figured this would be a good time for me to jump in and share a few thoughts:

So I recently totaled my 14 IS 250 (not my fault), which was heart breaking for me. That was my first luxury car. I loved the look of the car including the grill (I want a car that stands out from the rest). I also loved the interior of the car. The fit and finish, the way the cabin wrapped around you and made you feel like you were in a cockpit, the low seating position, the car handling. The only things I didn't like were the small navigation screen and quality of the infotainment system (the screen size was increased significantly in the 17's).

Long story short, I went right to Lexus to find a replacement (IS 200T). I test drove the car and was impressed, although I missed the V6 engine. But I also thought that I should see what else was out there including Acura, Infiniti, and even Volvo (S60 T-6 R-Design). In the end the A-Spec won out of all the cars I looked at. If it were not for the added features on the A-Spec I probably wouldn't have even looked at Acura (I hated the beak).

The A-Spec along with the pricing was the final deciding factor for me. The A-Spec was about $4,000 less than a IS 200T F Sport with Navigation. The IS 350 would have been about another $2,000. Having the larger engine and additional power for less money made the decision easier. For what it's worth, I negotiated a price of about $39,150 (before TTL) for a 2WD A-Spec.

The key things I miss about my Lexus:
  • Stereo had more bass
  • Lexus service (including the first year of service included). The Acura dealership just does not give off that 'high end' feel.
  • Lower ride height and heavily bolstered seats giving it a cockpit feel (yes some people may feel cramped, but I loved it)
  • Interior finishes are nice with soft touch leather
  • Nulux seats are pretty much indestructible (stains, wear, etc.). Concerned how the Alcantara will hold up.
  • F Sport instrument gauge cluster
However I still love my TLX thanks to the larger more powerful engine, ventilated seats, Android Auto, and the additional safety features my IS didn't have.
Welcome to Acurazine and congrats on your new purchase! Always great to hear feedback from owners with other cars.

For your seats, you might wanna consider some sort of sealant like this:
CarPro Cquartz Fabric Coating

It's for fabric but it works greatly on alcantara too. If I correctly though the A-spec seats also have some leather. So you might want to use some leather conditioner for the leather part.

I never had a car with free service. Realistically, if you get free service for one year, how much is that worth in reality? From Lexus website, there will be 2 services included. The first one is just an inspection, they wouldn't even do an oil change. Just look at your brakes, fluids, floor mats, rotate your tires, and that's it. And the second and final free service is just similar to the above, but with an oil change. These combined I'd imagine is worth about $150-$200 assuming you do these at a dealership?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
lmfao I stop reading when one of the guy ask the A Spec is "4 or V6"?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
lmfao I stop reading when one of the guy ask the A Spec is "4 or V6"?
The I4 Aspec does exist in Canada (in Tech and Advance/Elite packages too), so it can be a valid question.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:19 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The I4 Aspec does exist in Canada (in Tech and Advance/Elite packages too), so it can be a valid question.
Interesting, didn't know that. You guys have so many more models of the TLX than US customers. I wonder why it's marketed that way up there.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
The question will be do you like predator or diamond grill?

I thibk both are bleh
Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
When I was buying, the IS was far and away the bottom (TLX included). IS just feels so long in the tooth
Old 08-25-2017, 11:08 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Interesting, didn't know that. You guys have so many more models of the TLX than US customers. I wonder why it's marketed that way up there.
I find it weird too, and it's not just Acura, it's the same for Honda. For instance, in Canada, we can get the Accord I4 Touring with 6MT. But in the US, you can't even get a Accord I4 touring, let alone a 6MT model. I don't get why Canada sometimes get some trims that are not available in the US, considering our population is much smaller (1/8th?).
Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Well Canadian market is different than US market. E.G my RL came with ventilated seat as standard option in Cananda meanwhile US RL got heated seat only.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
When I first saw the IS, I really like the shape and rear end. But could never get over its interior and that front-end.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I suspect it's because a higher percentage of Canadians opt for 4 cylinder models. Honda Civics are perennially the highest selling car in Canada. It's nice to have 5 choices - Base, Tech, Tech ASpec, Elite, and Elite ASpec in both the i4 and I6 engines. We do not, however, have the choice of a V6 without SH_AWD.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
Speed_Racer (08-26-2017), wlkeel (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
When I first saw the IS, I really like the shape and rear end. But could never get over its interior and that front-end.
Hopefully you didn't have to suffer through driving one. Leave it to Lexus to neuter RWD
Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

So can someone tell me what came with "Elite package"?
Old 08-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
So can someone tell me what came with "Elite package"?
Tech:
• Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognitionn
• ELS Studio' Premium Audio System with AM/FM/SiriusXM" tuner, MP3/Windows Mediae Audio compatibility, in-dash CO player and 10 speakers including subwoofer
• 18" multi-spoke alloy wheels
• Blind Spot Information (BSI) system
• Cross Traffic Monitor system
• Heated steering wheel
• Heated rear seats
• Perforated Premium Milano leather-trimmed interior
• AcuraLink" connectivity systems

Elite:
• Surround view camera system
• Ventilated front seats
• LED fog lights
• Wireless smartphone charging
• Driver's power thigh extension
• Front and rear parking sensors
• Premium contrast stitch and seat piping
• Trunk spoiler, body-coloured
+ All Tech options
Old 08-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
Agree. I enjoyed my 2010 IS250 for over five years, but the TLX is definitely more roomy and comfortable. They're both good cars, but perhaps in a slightly different class.
I had a 2007 IS250 AWD that had 110K miles on it when I totaled it in a crash almost 2 years ago. I loved that car, but it was a little cramped, and the 250 was underpowered. Other than that, I would have driven that car for 300K miles, and I bet it would have lasted.

I looked at the 2015/16 IS and GS when I was shopping for a replacement, and I agree with others that the Lexus grill was a showstopper for me. Just don't like it. I loved the 2007 IS interior, but found the 2015/16 interior to be a little strange. I wasn't a fan.

So...it was down to the Infiniti Q50 and the TLX SH-AWD, and I bought the TLX. Ignoring the transmission and other issues with the 2015 TLX that are behind me now, the performance is much better than my old IS250. It's not a good as the Lexus GS, but the price tag (negotiated price, not sticker) isn't as hefty either, and the TLX was almost $20K lower than a comparable GS.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its because of the weather and driving conditions you would find up north. AWD/FWD cars would be better for people up north where it snows constantly. Acura and Audi seems to be on top of their handling game when it comes to AWD. They know it and they can pull in buyers up there with that card.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I've been test driving the IS350 since they bought it out (2013?). I always felt it was cramped but was willing to put up with that because BMW had priced the (then) 335i into the stratosphere (I had an '11 335ix, which was low $50s, even 6-7 years ago). At first, I was ready to pull the trigger. The Lexus dealer (both of them in my 'burg) really put me off by telling me how much better their car was over my 335ix. As such, they were sticking to MSRP on the IS 350 and giving me well below black book trade on my 335is (which had low mileage, never wrecked, good color, well equipped).

Anyway, when the volume of sales started to drop on the IS and dealers started to deal, they started calling me to come back in. Test drove 3-4 of them, including a '17 IS350 F Sport recently. Nothing really changed except that god-awful grill. Still cramped. They did do some fancy stuff on the dash Speedo/Odo, but that's it.

The little "puck" thing they use to navigate the screen is maddening. That alone would keep me from trying to buy another one.

Hop back to back into the Aspec and you immediately feel more comfortable in the seats. The cabin is airier. The drivetrain is smoother. It sounds better. Etc!

Easy decision.

I do agree with a lot of those posters. The TLX is more of a GS competitor than an IS competitor.

Last edited by graphicguy; 08-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ If that is the case then its really nothing to compare about as the GS350 out clash TLX in term of power, luxury and price tag.... The TLX already struggle to compete with Infiniti Q50, IS350 and lets not forget Audi A4 also surpass the TLX. I got a US TLX Aspec with red leather for couple days as my local dealer want to get sale and I have to say that dam dash and door panel didn't justifying $43k price tag.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Pro

^^^^ If that is the case then its really nothing to compare about as the GS350 out clash TLX in term of power, luxury and price tag.... The TLX already struggle to compete with Infiniti Q50, IS350 and lets not forget Audi A4 also surpass the TLX. I got a US TLX Aspec with red leather for couple days as my local dealer want to get sale and I have to say that dam dash and door panel didn't justifying $43k price tag.
I traded a Q50 for my ASpec.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
How much more power gs350 has over v6 TLX? And does it result in better 0-60 etc? Just curious..
Old 08-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think the GS350 blows the TLX V6 FWD or SH-AWD out of the water.
GS starts at $50,700 with 311hp and 0-60mph at 5.7s vs the TLX at $36,000-43,000 (V6) with 290hp and 0-60mph at 5.7-5.9s (depending on where you get the time from)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TAG18
I don't think the GS350 blows the TLX V6 FWD or SH-AWD out of the water.
GS starts at $50,700 with 311hp and 0-60mph at 5.7s vs the TLX at $36,000-43,000 (V6) with 290hp and 0-60mph at 5.7-5.9s (depending on where you get the time from)
GS350 feels heavy. Again, only did a test drive, so not sure if I would get used to it. But, compared to GS350, the TLX feels like a dancer on the road.

tru....curious about your statements regarding the dash and door panel. What exactly are wrong with them?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by graphicguy
GS350 feels heavy. Again, only did a test drive, so not sure if I would get used to it. But, compared to GS350, the TLX feels like a dancer on the road.

tru....curious about your statements regarding the dash and door panel. What exactly are wrong with them?

too cheap material for a car at that price point.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Pro

too cheap material for a car at that price point.
To each their own. I guess we have different perceptions. To me, where most cars, even at the $40K-$60K price points, have vinyl on the inside doors (even if they have leather seating). The TLX ASpec has real leather (like mine) or Alcantara on the doors. Granted, the ASpec doesn't have fake stitching on the dash, everything is soft touch and padded. The materials used are high quality and the build quality are among the best in the industry.

But, that's why there are different manufacturers with different models and price points.....something for everyone.

I've had 3 TLs before the TLX. Every one of them have been totally reliable (something I couldn't say about a Cadillac CTS I had, which was at a higher price point). My TLX SH AWD handles quite well, is quick, is comfortable, has plenty of room, has just about every option I could think of, a great stereo, etc. Build quality and materials are among the best. It's great looking. I get compliments on it just about every day. Hard to fault any of that in a $45K car.

I had a '16 Q50 before the TLX. Not a bad car. Shutting the doors in it, and they sounded tinny compared to the very solid "thunk" you get from the TLX. It was louder inside, too....not quite befitting a luxury brand. The 3.0TT was great....the car's best feature. The suspension really let the car down, though. It would get dicey cornering at speeds the TLX does with absolutely no drama. Seats weren't supporting. The NAV and touchscreen controls were slow and sometimes would freeze up. Materials were just OK. In fairness, I did like the materials in the Q60 I looked at with the carbon fiber trim. But, that car was priced at $60K.

As you can tell, I love me ASpec! Glad I'm back in the Acura family.
The following 3 users liked this post by graphicguy:
a35tl (09-01-2017), Speed_Racer (09-01-2017), ZipSpeed (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I had the IS300 for a week as a loaner. It wasn't a bad car but it wasn't amazing either. I would be interested in seeing what they do with it on the next gen though.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
It would get dicey cornering at speeds the TLX does with absolutely no drama.
the tlx does not corner at speeds, it plows, that is a well-published fact, your personal opinion notwithstanding
Old 09-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo_Darville
the tlx does not corner at speeds, it plows, that is a well-published fact, your personal opinion notwithstanding
The A-Spec, in SH-AWD guise, corners very well, provided you keep your foot on the accelerator. The torque vectoring only works if you stay on the gas. The upgraded suspension, along with the sportier Michelins, are a marked improvement over the two 2015 TLXs I've had (both were V6 SH-AWD as well).
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
a35tl (09-02-2017), graphicguy (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bo_Darville
Yeah...not sure who told you that, but don't believe them....the SH AWD handles extremely well. As Sebring Silver points out, you get on the gas and the torque vectoring keeps the car flat and stable.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
The A-Spec, in SH-AWD guise, corners very well, provided you keep your foot on the accelerator.
there is a difference between perceived sensation and actual performance. when MT professional drivers drive the tlx awd full-bore as you describe in their Figure 8 test the tlx manages it in 26.7 seconds, which places it on par with the volvo s60 awd (another vehicle with horizontally opposed engine and 60/40 weight bias), and significantly slower than vehicles the other chime-in guy would describe as offering dicey handling. keep telling yourself what you want, i can't argue with a person's subjective opinions, and i'm one of the few that stuck up for the tlx on the thread linked btw
boe_d (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 04:08 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Well the MT article even says that the solution is to it's inherent understeer is to apply accelerator into the corner and let the SH-AWD neutralize the understeer. You just have to understand how to drive it. It is counter intuitive to most other cars in the same situation. It's the nature of the beast with it being FWD biased even in AWD configs.

From the MT article:
"What the figures don’t tell you is what the new TLX feels like going around a corner fast, and this is where our editors had the biggest problem with the car. When you first crack the wheel, your face cracks a smile. The TLX turns in sharply and seems to promise some real cornering ability. The smile quickly vanishes, though, when the car abruptly transitions to serious understeer mid-corner. No change in driving style seemed to avoid this behavior, and it sapped a lot of fun out of the car. The good news is there’s a solution, if you’re confident or foolhardy enough to try it. When the car goes to understeer, hit the gas. Normally, this would just make the problem worse, but Acura’s Super Handling All Wheel Drive sends power to the inside front wheel and the outside rear wheel and forces the car to rotate even in the midst of the understeer. The imagined result, if you stay in it, is that the car will continue to understeer somewhat moderately, the rotation will mostly cancel it out, and you can use the all-wheel drive to force the car to turn like it should. That’s hardly recommended driving behavior, and not something a typical buyer is going to do, so most folks are just going to be stuck with understeer if they push the car too hard in a corner. We hope Acura decides to tune out this understeer in the future."
hadokenuh (09-05-2017)